• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

It's a shame the gameplay is really fun, maybe if they had figured out how to make the F2P works and their characters were more unique and appealing or if they had come out earlier.

RinsFury

Maybe he didn't know that meme was popular with white supremacists and just saw it once and thought it'd be funny to include. Maybe it's like the one joke involving Egypt that he knows?

I dunno. But people really are quick to outrage over this. A tiny clip in a very long video and he's never done anything like that in any of his videos before. Suddenly he's scum of the Earth?

How do you know about it then?

Even if (big IF) he didn't know the 'joke' was popular among white supremacists, he still used it in a racist context. There's no fucking excusing that.

And I know of it because I've seen it used on places such as Voat and The_Donald, you know, actual havens for nazis. There's a big difference between knowing about it and thinking it'd be a good idea to use it as a joke.

Using the "joke" in your video doesn't make it look like you're against it. I guess you can check /pol/ out of morbid curiosity and learn about the "joke" that way, but you wouldn't use it in your shitty video then.

lol I misunderstood your post then. Thought you was defending him. Since you didn't quote anyone, I could only guess.

"We wuz kangs and shit, nigga."

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/we-wuz-kings

The narrator opening with "WE," coupled with the game taking place in ancient Egypt, means that the twitch stream was filled with WE WUZ KANGS in twitch chat as soon as the narrator started talking.

Oh dang. While I'm not convinced it means he's a white supremacist, because of the tone and nature of his videos, it's really not smart to use it if he's not clear about intent. Part of me thinks he could be using it in a tongue in cheek manner cause his humor is often unclear. Or, it could just be a racist use of it :p

I like CrowbCat, so I don't know what to think. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll keep an eye on his videos, but keep this in mind.

Shengar

I feel like this is becoming a bigger trend where more and more people are describing games by focusing on what the game isn't rather than what it is

Lawbreakers isn't overwatch
Agents of mayhem isn't saints row
[insert RPG] isn't witcher 3

Granted a lot of these comparisons are bred out of having higher standards and expectations from high quality games and experiences but it creates a certain level of derision around a game that in some instances may be unfair if the game isn't trying to be the other game everyone keeps comparing it to. If the overwhelming consensus is that overwatch is a good game and people keep describing lawbreakers in the shadow of overwatch by saying it's not overwatch then it begins to paint a picture that it's bad without even judging it on its own merits and what it may do well.

I think this contributes to all the schadenfreude that people have been picking up on lately.
Yeah I agree and it's even more frustrating when people labeled something as a clone, try it, then when it turned out to be different, they deemed it as inferior because of it.

Why do they call it a "Hero" shooter when it's just different classes like we have had since Team Fortress 1?

I always assumed that "Hero" mean't that it took inspiration from MOBAs like Overwatch kinda does but someone last page referenced Siege as a Hero shooter and that really doesn't sound right to me.

Camwi

Yeah... fuck the other people too that also worked on the game cause you have a baby grudge against Cliffy and wanted the game to sell like shit..

Some of you complain about Cliffy too much, it's starting to become borderline unhealthy. lmao

Nah, I'm cool with those people. Since the game is an enormous disaster, hopefully those people will go on to work for someone who's not a tool. lmao

GodofWine

It's a shame the gameplay is really fun, maybe if they had figured out how to make the F2P works and their characters were more unique and appealing or if they had come out earlier.

They could have just used Paladin's F2P model, seems to be working for them. Its a good game, but I don't think its much better than Lawbreakers (and I don't think Overwatch is any better than Paladins - I sometimes even lean towards Paladins for a few reasons).

Its just late to the party, and when it showed up, it didn't do enough to announce "I"M HERE!", it just got relinquished to hanging out by the refrigerator talking to people that were just passing by to go somewhere else.

I take it you're not taking the current Nazi scourge seriously? Because that's what white supremacy does when you don't fight it harshly.

This is just an insane topic to bring out regarding 3 seconds of audio out of HOURS of uploaded video. I mean... I wonder what percentage that is?

49 videos. Let's say 10 minutes on average. 3 seconds out of 29400 seconds includes jokes of a racist origin. Suddenly a certain sect of GAF wants the message on this guy to be "he's a white supremacist, get him off the forum."

I'm not convinced. And that's coming from someone who used to love Jontron before his obvious white supremacist tirade (pretty compelling evidence when you just come out and admit it).

Budi

Nice, this game needs more exposure. It's fucking great! Need to check the video.
You know, the game actually looks pretty fun from that video. I don't think I thought it looked that great watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look but this video, even though it's supposed to be highlighting some of the failures of the game and marketing, actually looks good.

But yeah, I'm not going to drop the cash on the game when I've got Overwatch to play and a large collection of friends that have it and love it.
You can play both! They are very different experiences. Why limit yourself to just one game, ain't that bit boring? It's like not giving Tekken a chance when you already have Street Fighter.

Zomba13

You know, the game actually looks pretty fun from that video. I don't think I thought it looked that great watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look but this video, even though it's supposed to be highlighting some of the failures of the game and marketing, actually looks good.

But yeah, I'm not going to drop the cash on the game when I've got Overwatch to play and a large collection of friends that have it and love it.

One of the biggest takeaways from the whole Lawbreakers odyssey isn't really even touched upon in the video, which is that chasing genre trends almost never works in multiplayer game development.

Either the genre trend itself fizzles out (as was the case with the brief arena-shooter revival craze from 2014-2015) or everyone trying to get gold-of-their-own gets obliterated by the biggest game in the genre (ie: dozens of MOBAs vs League & DOTA circa 2014-15, many hero shooters vs Overwatch circa 2016-2017).

Lawbreakers chased TWO genre trends during it's development process: arena shooters (when they first announced) and hero shooters (after arena shooters fizzled and overwatch became a huge success).

Clearly it didn't work out for them.

Kayant

So in the initial sales thread I saw a lot of people mention that this game didn't have any marketing, but this video suggests they paid a zillion people to advertise this game.
I mean they didn't in the traditional sense but they had several "sponsored" streams from a variety of influencers on twitch and as shown videos player reaction videos after showcases at events.

Courage

This is just an insane topic to bring out regarding 3 seconds of audio out of HOURS of uploaded video. I mean... I wonder what percentage that is?

49 videos. Let's say 10 minutes on average. 3 seconds out of 29400 seconds includes jokes of a racist origin. Suddenly a certain sect of GAF wants the message on this guy to be "he's a white supremacist, get him off the forum."

I'm not convinced. And that's coming from someone who used to love Jontron before his obvious white supremacist tirade (pretty compelling evidence when you just come out and admit it).

Sorry to break it to you, but you don't need to fulfill a specific time requirement of 'racist content' to get hints if someone is racist. Sometimes a shitty joke is all it takes.

SZips

I feel like this is becoming a bigger trend where more and more people are describing games by focusing on what the game isn't rather than what it is

Granted a lot of these comparisons are bred out of having higher standards and expectations from high quality games and experiences but it creates a certain level of derision around a game that in some instances may be unfair if the game isn't trying to be the other game everyone keeps comparing it to. If the overwhelming consensus is that overwatch is a good game and people keep describing lawbreakers in the shadow of overwatch by saying it's not overwatch then it begins to paint a picture that it's bad without even judging it on its own merits and what it may do well.

I think this contributes to all the schadenfreude that people have been picking up on lately.

I review games. When I review them, I try not to make comparisons to similar games in the genre.

However, I did it with Agents of Mayhem (as did many other reviews) and I feel as though it being compared to the Saints Row franchise was appropriate. It was from the same developer and that developer made it damn clear that they wanted you to remember the Saints Row franchise while playing (colors, symbol, even three characters make the cross-over to AoM from SR). So yeah, sometimes these sort of comparisons are very, very appropriate.

Edit: As for the main thread here, I'm not about to give him additional views. I'm sure it's CC's usual thing where statements are cherry picked and some unfortunate glitches are shown, etc etc. Having actually played Lawbreakers, I found the game to be far more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. Yes, marketing really dropped the ball on this one, especially at the start where it went from being a F2P game to having a base cost associated with it. I know that soured many people despite the quality of the final product.

BBboy20

A joke that was created as another weapon to belittle African Americans is considered "INSANE" to evaluate?

The total hours of his uploads doesn't matter if the part is racist dude.

RinsFury

Yeah... I mean, his whole shtick seems to be making humorous cuts involving unsuccessful exploits in the video game industry. I'm not about to call him a closet fucking white supremacist over this. I'd need to see a bit more than that to condemn the guy.

It only takes 3 seconds to out yourself as a racist. He's hardly the first one.

One of the biggest takeaways from the whole Lawbreakers odyssey isn't really even touched upon in the video, which is that chasing genre trends almost never works in multiplayer game development.

Either the genre trend itself fizzles out (as was the case with the brief arena-shooter revival craze from 2014-2015) or everyone trying to get gold-of-their-own gets obliterated by the biggest game in the genre (ie: dozens of MOBAs vs League & DOTA circa 2014-15, many hero shooters vs Overwatch circa 2016-2017).

Lawbreakers chased TWO genre trends during it's development process: arena shooters (when they first announced) and hero shooters (after arena shooters fizzled and overwatch became a huge success).

Clearly it didn't work out for them.

Unless you're a Battle-Royale Styled game, in which case the entire genre was built on successive trend chasing.

I do agree though, the entire thing does remind me of the so many years multiplayer devs spent futilely trying to develop the "WoW-killer"

While I'm not convinced it means he's a white supremacist, because of the tone and nature of his videos, it's really not smart to use it if he's not clear about intent. Part of me thinks he could be using it in a tongue in cheek manner cause his humor is often unclear. Or, it could just be a racist use of it :p

Yeah... I mean, his whole shtick seems to be making humorous cuts involving unsuccessful exploits in the video game industry. I'm not about to call him a closet fucking white supremacist over this. I'd need to see a bit more than that to condemn the guy.

But it's apparent that I'm a little too lenient to be discussing this here so I'll just shut up about it and leave the thread.... =\

Since this thread is going to get way more attention than everything else about the game I'd like to encourage people to give it a try when the inevitable free weekend hits. It's a really fun game with some great combat balance that leads to crazy midair fights.

Check out this video for some good gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kKLwiGvRE

Unless you're a Battle-Royale Styled game, in which case the entire genre was built on successive trend chasing.

I mean, I don't know about that because it was essentially one dude who was heavily involved in all the different iterations (Developing the Arma DayZ mod, licensing the idea to H1Z1 and consulting for them, developing PUBG).

BBboy20

But it's apparent that I'm a little too lenient to be discussing this here so I'll just shut up about it and leave the thread.... =\
White supremacist or not, he's complacent in the ideology unless this popular YouTuber does something about it. And for christ's sake, try understanding what is at stake because not fighting shit like this is what will immediately doom us all.

Great video as usual.

Cliffy B dun goofed.

White supremacist or not, he's complacent in the ideology unless this popular YouTuber does something about it. And for christ's sake, try understanding what is at stake because not fighting shit like this is what will immediately doom us all.

While I get where you are coming from, I don't think going against a guy who recopiles youtube videos about videogames is going to doom us all or a stake of any kind. Of course is fair game to express the disagreement but a lot of people are flooding every CC thread with stuff like this.

Nah, I'm cool with those people. Since the game is an enormous disaster, hopefully those people will go on to work for someone who's not a tool. lmao
I mean you're sounding more like a tool so... funny since the picture fits too.

It's obvious they had fun working on it so get over your self. Saying you're glad the game flopped just cause you don't like Cliffy B is being a tool and childish to the other people that even worked with him, but I guess you're "Cool" with them.

The marketing and art style and everything around it just looks nauseously edgy and fake. It's just revolting how soulless and shitty it looks and sounds like.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im really getting sick of whole "Dark Soul of shooters" or Dark Souls of "Platformers"

What made Dark Soul games great isn't the difficulty, there other games out there that are way more difficult. What made Dark Souls great is art style, atmosphere, enemy design and level design.

What I saw, Lawbreakers is anything but that. The artstyle is generic as fuck.

This is actually a very good video which outlines A) how saturated the market is B) how confusing the marketing for this game was and C) that this game is not a bad game, it's even a good game but unfortunately just released at the wrong time.

Difficult not to resort to such structural analysis when a game is going for the exact same style that other well regarded games have gone for. The comparisons to Overwatch say more than just what this game is not––they tell us that there already is a game that scratches that itch. This is something Cliffy B admits to when he states there are usually two to three games and he hopes his game is within those three.

Guess Who

Banned
I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be a surprised that a dude whose biggest claim to fame is making cynical overdramatic videos about video games being bad is a 4chan racist.

Easy litmus test to know if you're failing at marketing your game:

Do you find yourself constantly talking about OTHER games when you're trying to talk about YOUR game?

Murkas

"The Dark Souls of-"

see-this-shit-stop-it.jpg

Dark Souls is 6 years old at this point, enough! And I say that as a giant fan.

Nekrono

Cliffy B does come off as a huge tool, I mean there's confidence in your product but then there's just arrogance, in this case it was the latter and it blew up on his face.

I'm sure he's a pretty smart dude for his previous accomplishments but he really needs to change his attitude, especially now that he's not under a big name like Microsoft. Maybe with a different attitude and marketing approach the game wouldn't be where it's at, who knows for sure though.

A shame for his team though, can't feel good having such a huge jackass as the front face for your team/work.

Top Bottom