• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel brings a Core CPU and AMD Radeon GPU together on one package

LordOfChaos

http://techreport.com/news/32792/intel-brings-a-core-cpu-and-radeon-gpu-together-on-one-package

Huh.

Mmm, crow. Intel announced this morning that it's collaborating with AMD to deliver one of its eighth-generation Core processors paired with a semi-custom Radeon graphics chip on one package. The semi-custom Radeon GPU and Intel processor cores will be joined together for the first time by Intel's Embedded Multi-Die Interconnect Bridge, or EMIB, a way of joining discrete IP blocks across a 2.5D, high-bandwidth on-package interconnect. The combined SoC will include a stack of HBM2 memory alongside the CPU and GPU cores.
intelradeon.jpg

LordOfChaos

Spitballing, Apple basically single handedly asked for Intels eDRAM GPUs, with the first Iris Pro 5200. They're still one of the Plus lines biggest users. Since Nvidia near doubled Intels performance per watt on graphics, I think it's very possible Apple pushed for this solution.

Pappa wants a 13" rMBP with the 8th gen ULV quads and Radeon graphics.

Is there a market for this? those 1050ti notebooks are bonkers cheap already, best time ever to be a laptop gamer compared to old telephone book thick alienwares.

Nikodemos

They could buy their GPU business, I believe, because of NVIDIA.

Not the CPU business though.
They could probably buy the CPU division as well if they really tried/wanted to, citing their competitors like Qualcomm, Apple and Samsung. After all, that's what they did when they instituted their bribing err 'contra-revenue' program.

I am onto an iMac or even iMac Pro. A new Mac mini would be nice but I wanted one last year and had to settle for the 2014 model which technically uses 2013 processors.

llien

I wonder if the reason behind it is Apple.
Is Thunderbolt available to third parties or not? I've heard conflicting news on it.

Because if it isn't, AMD APUs are not an option, and AMD GPU will make Intel's package quite a bit (twice more GPU power, last time i've checked).

aisback

I wonder if the reason behind it is Apple.
Is Thunderbolt available to third parties or not? I've heard conflicting news on it.

Because if it isn't, AMD APUs are not an option, and AMD GPU will make Intel's package quite a bit (twice more GPU power, last time i've checked).

I believe Apple and Intel share the patent for it.

LordOfChaos

Intel buying AMD soon..

Darkest Time line continues.

Radeon Technologies Group at most, that would avoid antitrust while providing their GPU divisoin an R&D boost hopefully.

RTG has been adamant about separate branding for a while...Some think aiming for a spinout or buyout.

Nvidia spends 3 billion per new uArch, I don't think AMD even spared the big B on Polaris or Vega. Intel could certainly fund them into competitiveness...

Diablos

Cool idea. Intel has always been pretty lacking on integrated graphics. That said...

If intel buys AMD or at least their GPU business, what does that mean for consoles? I.e. if PS5 design intended to be backwards compatible with PS4 will this complicate things, since AMD under this scenario would no longer be designing GPU’s, just CPU’s? Or what if Intel buys everything?

DonMigs85

The plot thickens. Surely he must have some sort of anti-compete clause? Or maybe Intel might eventually buy RTG altogether?

Cool idea. Intel has always been pretty lacking on integrated graphics. That said...

If intel buys AMD or at least their GPU business, what does that mean for consoles? I.e. if PS5 design intended to be backwards compatible with PS4 will this complicate things, since AMD under this scenario would no longer be designing GPU’s, just CPU’s? Or what if Intel buys everything?
I would assume any sale would have to include honoring any contracts in place with the console-makers.

I would assume PS5 and X2 are safe but things could get complicated after that generation.

LordOfChaos

I would assume any sale would have to include honoring any contracts in place with the console-makers.

I would assume PS5 and X2 are safe but things could get complicated after that generation.

The Rajachip would be super interesting for a console, with high performance Intel cores married with a Radeon on unified memory.

That's my big hope for the 9th gen. The .5 upgrades already used a die shrink on more GPU, and one of them on more RAM, but where the 9th gen could really fly away is CPU performance. A modest dual core Baby Cake i3 can do at 60fps a lot of what the consoles are locked to 30fps for, with six ad a half available Jaguar cores.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's funny to see how integrated graphics perform better than my old 560ti now lol.

Man I need a new computer!

Top Bottom