• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BizzyBum

So I have a college degree (in Business Management). Without any form of teaching experience, I could apply for JET and possibly be teaching in Japan on the sole criteria that I speak fluent English? lol

How much does it pay? Do they give you a place to live? I feel like actually living there when you're not teaching would be pretty impossible if you don't read/write/speak Japanese.

I'm unemployed right now and bored so seeing the possibilities that are out there.

Shouta

So I have a college degree (in Business Management). Without any form of teaching experience, I could apply for JET and possibly be teaching in Japan on the sole criteria that I speak fluent English? lol

How much does it pay? Do they give you a place to live? I feel like actually living there when you're not teaching would be pretty impossible if you don't read/write/speak Japanese.

I'm unemployed right now and bored so seeing the possibilities that are out there.

Yes, you can apply for JET to go to Japan without any form teaching experience. The sole criteria really is speaking English and a willingness to experience/exchange cultures.

Pay rate changed after 2011. At a 100 to 1 ratio the pay for jet is 1st year = 34k. 2nd year = 36k. 3rd year = 39k 4th & 5th years = 39.6k.

When you go with JET, they usually provide you a place to live at a reduced cost. My rent in japan was 150 bucks for a 1LDK + Garage. I lived out in the mountains of Fukushima though. However, many ALTs seem to get rent in that neighborhood or a bit higher.

It's quite possible to live there without knowing any Japanese. Many folks that come with JET don't have any language skills and manage to do ok there, with the help of folks, including other ALTs, around them.

Tekniqs

VERY interested in this! would love to go to Korea for about a year or so..although Japan/taiwan is also on the list

edit: just read some of the posts above...so I need a TEFL cert to teach in Korea? shiiiiit lol. I have a stable job here and all, not really hurting for money or anything of that sort. Just want to live in another country and experience new things and all that jazz.

It's not impossible at all. JET provides a small booklet and lots of cheat sheets on how to use ATMs/shop for necessities/etc, and the rail system is bilingual.

The JET Program has its own 3-year correspondence course in Japanese. They mail you workbooks and CDs and you fill out a test sheet every month and mail it back for the next workbook. It's very easy to get through it if you use your free hour at work every day to get through it and practice, practice, practice. Other ALTs in your area and the teachers you work with will almost always be up for some conversational practice. The students also get a kick out of you fumbling your way through the language. It's hard not to get some functional Japanese out of living there for a year.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Chiming in on JET- I was a junior high school ALT from 2005-2008, in Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa-ken.

I was a municipal ALT, meaning I lived and worked in the city, so while it was nice being around all the shops and restaurants, it also meant higher rent and a shittier place than some of the others I saw. My rent was 6 man a month, plus an additional 5000 yen per parking space. The BOE helped out and gave me an extra 2 man a month in pay, but compared to friends outside the city (one guy had a small house and paid no rent whatsoever!), it was still kind of a lot. Not hard to manage or anything, though.

My degree is in East Asian Studies and I studied Japanese in school, but none of that mattered in my getting picked. Most of the other JETs I met didn't speak a word of Japanese when I got there. Some learned a lot, some learned a little, some didn't give two shits about anything but getting hammered, and some just gave up and went home pretty quickly.

I loved my time there and it changed my life, literally- I learned a lot about the culture, picked up more of the language, and got married over there.

I'm back in the States on a completely different career path now (doing IT work), but if the right opportunity came along, I'd totally go back.

Necrovex

This will be my second time applying to JET. I feel that I have a far better chance this year than I did the year before. I have worked on my personal statement over the past two months, getting it looked at by others and tweaking it to be in an ideal state. I am *about* done with it. A few internet peeps are looking over it. I wanted some feedback from people who do not know me.

I have my two reference letters, one from my supervisor who wrote me a superb statement, and one from my former professor who simply adored me. I've been trying to either study Japanese or immerse myself in it on a daily basis.

I am only waiting for the application to open up now. I still have to see my general physician for him to fill out his form (I already made my appointment to see him in early November), but I want to fill out the app before I do that.

I'm really hoping I get in. This is probably my last chance before I do something else, like Peace Corps or becoming an Army officer. But I always wanted to work and live in Japan for a number of years to drastically improve my Japanese. This is my first choice!

sasimirobot

How rural are the placements in JET? How many people do you share a place with? How hard is Japanese compared to standard Mandarin?

Depends. I think Japanese is a (little) easier to pronounce because of it limited "a i u e o" structure, Chinese takes a lot more verbal muscle memory, tongue position, not to mention tones. If you are not familiar with tones that may take a few years to really sink in and come naturally.

Japanese does get pretty nasty with grammar and polite language rules at higher levels. Japanese also uses more "gairaigo" or English loan words that will help, also written Japanese is less "dense" and is easier to pick out verbs, those sprinkled foreign loan words, and the easier to read hiragana/katakana.

I think its about even in the end actually, but knowing a bit about one before the other helps immensely. I encourage anyone that knows Japanese or Chinese to look into learning both just because you would almost be halfway there anyways with the similarity in written language and shared vocabulary.

Thanks. Like I said I spent two years in Hiroshima in the early 90's, but I married a Japanese girl in 2000 and whenever we go back it's usually to Tokyo and her home in Tochigi. Kyoto trip is in the works for 2015, but this summer we spent a month in the Tokyo & Tochigi area. Went to see a Yoshimoto show in Tokyo and while Downtown didn't appear (they're too big for such things now) we had frontrow seats and did get to see Taka and Toshi do their manzai act, and Fujiwara just being foolish. I also bought an AV Famicom and a Super Famicom Jr., both in the box. Great trip.

Wow you have no idea how jealous I am! Japanese comedians have really been my driving force with wanting to learn the language. I've been watching all the translated manzai stuff I can find which is far and few in between, and trying to watch/keep up with the newer TV shows when they get uploaded which has helped my listening skills immensely, not to mention all the random bits of info I can pick out from it.

About to start my SoP and have been struggling with what to include in it for my personal stuff. I want to throw in my interest in Japanese comedians/manzai/media since sociology, cultural media in particular is my focal area in college at the moment, but not sure how much to include. Part of me thinks it will make me stand out, the other part makes me think it makes me look like a guy who just wants to watch TV over there haha.

Jaffaboy

VERY interested in this! would love to go to Korea for about a year or so..although Japan/taiwan is also on the list

edit: just read some of the posts above...so I need a TEFL cert to teach in Korea? shiiiiit lol. I have a stable job here and all, not really hurting for money or anything of that sort. Just want to live in another country and experience new things and all that jazz.

You could bang out a TEFL in a couple of weeks if you get your mind to it, and it'll pay for itself within the first month of teaching and the knowledge you'll gain from it.

It's also only required to teach in the public school system, not always for the many private schools although many ask for a TEFL now. If they don't there's a higher chance of them being dodgy :p

WoodWERD

A TEFL certificate is no big deal and can be done entirely online if necessary. 100% online courses may/may not be accepted so you have to pay attention to the trends and job ads in a particular country. I probably didn't even need one for my current gig in China, I did it more to prove to myself that I was serious about the move and to give myself as many job opportunities as possible. My course was 3 consecutive Saturdays/Sundays 8a-5p at a local college, plus an online component. I don't feel like I got much out of it, but it did shed some light on lesson planning and also provides some teaching resources through their website.

You don't need a TEFL to teach in Korea. I have been here for four years and I don't have one. Same with most of my friends here.

I would not bother getting one. It only works out adding aboiut $80 dollars a month to your salary and then that is reduced by taxes.

tefl certs are basically useless in terms of actually using what you've learned, but it will help you find a job much easier - and a better one at that. i've never used any of the tips and tricks that i learned in the course, but just having one helped me negotiate a much better contract.

I heard from some former JET friends that it isn't a very practical way to pay off student debt, due to the difficulty in transferring money. Dunno how much truth there is to that.

If I wasn't a poor pleb who relied on student loans, I would probably have finished my degree and gone to teach English in Japan. To get my degree, my school required me to spend $10k and study abroad though.

Best of luck to everyone though, it seems like it's awesome. Still a dream to travel and live there for me.

pubba

If you are an English teacher in China right now, there are some great packages available. Shop around and negotiate hard and you can get a great deal.

I teach 13 hours a week and get 13,000 RMB a month plus free modern apartment about 2 minutes walk from school. Work 2pm to 8pm on Wednesday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends. Monday and Tuesday are my 'weekend' because the weekends are super busy.

I've been promoted recently and get flown to other cities to help set up new schools and train the Chinese and foreign teachers. Spent last weekend in Xi'an (terra cotta warriors city) and going back for 4 days tomorrow. I get an extra 500 RMB a day for this kind of work, plus all expenses paid. It's fun and I get to do some sightseeing and see different parts of China.

I have friends that have even better packages than I have, and I am almost at the 1 year point on my contract here, so am preparing a new list of demands if they want to sign up for another year.

It sounds awful, but school owners are desperate now and if the choice is between paying extra to the foreign talent or closing down, you know which way they will go.

WoodWERD

I teach 13 hours a week and get 13,000 RMB a month plus free modern apartment about 2 minutes walk from school. Work 2pm to 8pm on Wednesday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends. Monday and Tuesday are my 'weekend' because the weekends are super busy.

That works out to well over 13 hours a week...but more details please? Province, school, etc. Sounds like you're working at a language mill, which are known to pay much better but you work the hours to go with it. I wouldn't mind a gig that sends me to different parts of China though.

wanders

Lol an ad appeared regarding this

Not to stray too off topic but is there other jobs that require English speaking foreigners in japan ?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I teach at an American International school in Vietnam teaching all subjects, and the place is run like an elementary school in the US so my experience is different. However I do know quite a few ex pats here who teach/tutor at language centers and through JET type programs and their happiness with it depends entirely on their own personality. People who like new experiences and can roll with the punches tend to do well. People who get all misty eyed over a lack of pop tarts and captain crunch tend to burn out quick and go home. I've met some very cool people who work at these places, but I've also met some insufferable idiots.

Ok I shouldn't say it's entirely based on personality because there are some really shitty English language centers people get suckered into that give you zero vacation time, make you work weekends and nights, pay you shit, and the only housing they might give you is a room in someone's house. So be careful and only go with the more reputable companies.

I heard from some former JET friends that it isn't a very practical way to pay off student debt, due to the difficulty in transferring money. Dunno how much truth there is to that.

If I wasn't a poor pleb who relied on student loans, I would probably have finished my degree and gone to teach English in Japan. To get my degree, my school required me to spend $10k and study abroad though.

Best of luck to everyone though, it seems like it's awesome. Still a dream to travel and live there for me.

Really? That's exactly what I did with my initial earnings. Just let your pay bulk up a bit and do a money order (I believe that's what I did). It wasn't hard at all. My debts were completely paid off by end of my first year.

Shouta

It's fairly simple to do it, honestly. But it's best to send a huge order back all at once because you get charged fees in converting and transferring it over. You can easily pay off a lot of debts with the cash you earn as a JET.

decaf

I heard from some former JET friends that it isn't a very practical way to pay off student debt, due to the difficulty in transferring money.
I sorted out GoLloyds in a fortnight with only a few pieces of paperwork. I don't know how your JET friends survived in Japan if they found that amount of paperwork a pain.

Missing JET so much now. Amazing money, easy job and so easy to get time off to go to Tokyo and Osaka whenever I fancied.

Keyouta

I'm really interested in JET. I did a 7 month exchange to Japan while I was in high school and found it to be alright. Not the best experience I could have had, but I'd sure love to go again. The problem is that I'm doing technical school, so it doesn't seem like I'd be able to get into the program. From what I can see in the OP, they pretty much all require bachelor degrees, even though the field of the degree doesn't matter.

Would there be any way for me to go over to teach English in Japan through some program not listed here? My Japanese is not fluent by any means, not close, but I can hold a simple conversation even though it's been a few years since I've been to Japan.

Thanks Shota!

I may be applying for EPIK or TALK down the track, so I'll come back with more info about them!

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked yet...but how are the women?

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. Really? Really?

There's a reason a lot of English teachers abroad cop a bad rep, even if it's often unjustified. The sleazy, lazy foreign teacher stereotype is not one I would like to see perpetuated. If your main reason for going is "sexy exotic ladies", I honestly don't think you should be going.

Clov

I'm in my last year of university, and am highly considering signing up for JET. I'm likely going to be able to get a letter of recommendation from one of my professors, but what other kinds of people/places will they accept them from? The only real jobs I've had have been part-time, and I doubt JET would accept a letter of recommendation from a fast food restaurant.

matt360

Another ex-JET here. I did the full 5 years in Hiroshima. Hands down the best job I've ever had. I'm actually still in Hiroshima, but at another job not nearly as fun or well-paying. In those 5 years, I managed to make a huge dent on my student loans, travel to lots of other countries in Asia, and still managed to save a fair chunk for the future.

I had planned on 2-3 years, but the economy went to shit around my third year when I was planning to go home. My parents suggested that I keep my current job for as long as possible, and since I was still having a good time, I agreed. The exchange rate also heavily favored turning yen into dollars at the time. Now not so much. Then I got married and am now most likely a lifer.

mujun

Another ex-JET here. I did the full 5 years in Hiroshima. Hands down the best job I've ever had. I'm actually still in Hiroshima, but at another job not nearly as fun or well-paying. In those 5 years, I managed to make a huge dent on my student loans, travel to lots of other countries in Asia, and still managed to save a fair chunk for the future.

I had planned on 2-3 years, but the economy went to shit around my third year when I was planning to go home. My parents suggested that I keep my current job for as long as possible, and since I was still having a good time, I agreed. The exchange rate also heavily favored turning yen into dollars at the time. Now not so much. Then I got married and am now most likely a lifer.

What are you doing now if you don't mind me asking?

Porcile

I'll be applying for JET. Got everything ready (I hope) just waiting on my references and need my academic transcripts stamped. Not sure how much of a chance I stand. I don't speak any Japanese, but I do have over two years teaching assistant/lecturing experience and recently started doing my own tutoring with special needs kids.

matt360

What are you doing now if you don't mind me asking?

I'm the English curriculum coordinator and home room teacher to the hospitality department students at the YMCA College in Hiroshima. A lot more responsibility for a lot less pay, but I do a lot of private eikaiwas and my wife also works so we're not hurting for money or anything.

AngryMoth

Thanks for the information! I was aware of JET but I didn't realise there were so many alternatives so that will be interesting to look into. I am planning to teach in japan for a year when I finish my degree in 2015.

Here's a question I have. The school year starts in april over there right? So I'm assuming that's the only time you can start? Would be a bit annoying having to wait 10 months since my I will graduate in june. edit: never mind, checked the website and departure is usually july/august which is perfect

Just my experience in China.

Universities, even the most prestigious ones (renmin daxue, Qinghua) really wont pay much. I would have become a teacher at Renmin Daxue, when I told them my hourly pay (for German), which would amount to about 16.000RMB each month, they thought its too much...
Wanted to pay me like 6000 RMB...

Another experience I had was, that a lot of the teachers I met in Beijing are really either one of the worst assholes you encounter, close to expats, who live in their own little communities or were total losers in their own country without any redeeming qualifications.

mujun

I'm the English curriculum coordinator and home room teacher to the hospitality department students at the YMCA College in Hiroshima. A lot more responsibility for a lot less pay, but I do a lot of private eikaiwas and my wife also works so we're not hurting for money or anything.

Would you be better off getting private school work? I'm direct hire and have great conditions.

WoodWERD

Just my experience in China.

Universities, even the most prestigious ones (renmin daxue, Qinghua) really wont pay much. I would have become a teacher at Renmin Daxue, when I told them my hourly pay (for German), which would amount to about 16.000RMB each month, they thought its too much...Wanted to pay me like 6000 RMB...

I can't comment on top tier schools, but that's pretty standard uni pay as you probably know. The perks are low hours and free housing/utilities. The downsides are potentially unmotivated students and lack of support from management. I make about that and work less than 15 hours a week. I've only been here a few weeks and I'm basically left alone to do what I want. I plan to track my expenses next month so I can see whether I spend anything close to what I earn...my experience so far says no.

On the flip side, you can work 30-40 hours a week at a language mill and make triple what you'd make at a university. Just depends on what your goals are.

I can't comment on top tier schools, but that's pretty standard uni pay as you probably know. The perks are low hours and free housing/utilities. The downsides are potentially unmotivated students and lack of support from management. I make about that and work less than 15 hours a week. I've only been here a few weeks and I'm basically left alone to do what I want. I plan to track my expenses next month so I can see whether I spend anything close to what I earn...my experience so far says no.

On the flip side, you can work 30-40 hours a week at a language mill and make triple what you'd make at a university. Just depends on what your goals are.

Yeah. It was just kinda strange, that they dont pay that much at one of the most prestigious universities in China, also considering my qualifications...
I saw how they waste money on other parts at Renmin, so I really was wondering how come they are so "抠门儿".
I found another job there a few days later with a much better pay for less trouble.

pubba

That works out to well over 13 hours a week...but more details please? Province, school, etc. Sounds like you're working at a language mill, which are known to pay much better but you work the hours to go with it. I wouldn't mind a gig that sends me to different parts of China though.

Sorry - I should have written I do 13 contact hours teaching each week, and get paid an extra 150RMB per hour for any classes over the 13 hours a week. We also get 50rmb for every student that signs up after doing a demo class.

The other time is called 'office hours'. I read GAF, gamble online, make teaching resources, study Chinese or talk to the other teachers. It's a great deal, but as you know there are plenty of downsides to working in private language training centres.

I was the schools first foreign teacher, and worked 6 days a week for 9 months. Our teaching manager is inept and terrified of losing her job, so doesn't defend the teachers when the sales team make another stupid request. It's not a school by any stretch of the imagination. It's more realistically a childcare centre.

The curriculum is dreadful and is just a big glitzy scam to get parents to sign up. We use shitty interactive software that looks great to a non-native English speaker, but is actually full of errors, terrible 'games' and awful music and videos that somebody slapped together in an afternoon.

But at the end of the day, I just think about the big stack of cash I get each month. Feels good, man.

I just got back from another 4 days in Xi'an. Went to see the terracotta warriors yesterday, and met some random girls in Starbucks who invited me to KTV for the night (karaoke).

Life is good here! I love the random stuff that happens each day. Back home I was working 9 to 5 in a government call centre and feeling miserable.

I saw a job in Xi'an that's offering 18,000 RMB a month for a kindy gig. 8am to 4pm, 2 hour lunch, free apartment. There are some crazy offers around at the moment. It's good for me, because my one year contract is just about up, so I'm starting to look at new opportunities.

numble

Not to sound like an ass or anything, but i'm just curious, what are the motivations for teaching english in asia? I know tons of people that do this after college, which on paper to me, seems a bit weird when you probably can find a better gig in the states. Why not just do that and go vacation to asia when you want? Thinking its probably a great and easy way to get a foot into a new culture/country if thats what you want though.

I never taught a language, but I knew many people that did:

1) Better option for some with low prospects in home country and qualifications to teach are minimal (just be a native speaker)
2) Opportunity to travel or learn another language for "free" (many people still cannot afford to take long vacations abroad)
3) Your last sentence. Many international businessmen/professionals started out teaching abroad, and it gives potential employers evidence that you can survive in foreign environments, have learned the language/culture, etc.

matt360

Would you be better off getting private school work? I'm direct hire and have great conditions.

Yes I would be better off. The problem is that most private schools around here require a master's degree, which is something I don't have. In the future when and if kids come into the picture, I may have to move out of Hiroshima, but for now I'm content enough to stay. I'm always looking though.

Superflat

Anyone worked in Taiwan before? I hear it's pretty nice and pays pretty well, but I don't know anyone who had first hand experience.

I've been thinking about teaching in Japan/Korea/Taiwan for a while now. I have enough language experience in Korean and Japanese to feel at least comfortable and be able to communicate, but I don't know ANY Taiwanese or Mandarin, lol. Not that it's mandatory, but I'd feel compelled to. As a current self-study student of 3 languages, adding another could be too much *_*

Looking at the options for Japan in the OP, Aeon looks more my style. Gonna do a bit more research on it, but I was surprised to hear that they give you a place to stay and pay for your airfare. I've seen Korean teaching jobs that do too, but rarely with Japanese companies. My friend who's teaching in Tokyo right now said he needed considerable start up money to get his feet on the ground and had to find a place to stay mostly on his own when going for his first job.

edit: ah looks like they don't pay for airfare afterall? Korea is looking a lot more cushy :p

Wanace

I manage an English school in Beijing that caters to adults. It's one of the big name schools in China and teaching is pretty good but pretty busy.

I make good money as a manager and teachers make decent money, but since the pay is standard across every city, it's better to work in a small city.

If you're interested in working in China, PM me, I can help you out.

I'm in Beijing but we have campuses all over China.

BTW, teaching kids sucks, I'll never do it again no matter what the money. But yeah, if you don't mind it, it's probably better to teach kids. You can have weekends off.

I'm at the 6 month mark here in China, with another 6 left. I kinda want to extend since I've gotten so lucky with my placement here and the work is super easy and pretty fun. I already feel a bit homesick tho.

And I miss western grocery stores; where milk is kept in the cold section and isn't stored in 200ml sacs beside the noodle aisle. Also, there's no cheese :((((

I have about 4 months to decide whether or not to extend my contract. I'd really only consider moving to Beijing/Shanghai/Hong Kong or back home. I'm doing fine in my tier 3 city now.

It's so simple to come to one of these "smaller" (read: 3-5 million people!) cities in China and work for a year with basically no worries about money. I recommend everyone do it for a year. Save money, travel, explore, learn a language, do whatever you want.

Did the municipal JET thing for five years in a town of around 30K people in Gifu Prefecture, although there were two of us so we had half each.

It was an amazing experience, which sounds cliche, and I loved the lifestyle but I just couldn't put up with it anymore.

The students were great, elementary school was a blast (but could get annoying depending on which kids decided to be arseholes), the pace and convenience and social elements were all great. The pay was fantastic thanks to exchange rates and low cost of living in the country....

Buuuuuut

First, the work itself got really dull, particularly because I was teaching Junior High four days of the week and my school was strictly by the curriculum, which meant I was reading from the same book for five years straight haha. It literally required nothing of me, and wanted nothing of me, so I had to get out.

Second, I just have not got a mind for languages. I busted my head for three years and could barely get comfortable with N3 whilst some people would show up off the plane with nothing and in a year be light years ahead of me.

But on the plus side, all the free time gave me a lot of time to write and do a bit of travelling and have adventures. I took my big sack of Japanese gold and came home, paid for my MA and now am comfortable enough to live as a wannabe screenwriter living on what's left of his savings.

Can't find a job for shit here either, but even then I'd need to be under threat of homelessness/starvation to go back into Japanese Public school education again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom