• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is just a casual observation, I'm not sure how true it is or not, but it seems like a lot of the people who go to Asia to teach English just have a regular degree, and don't necessarily have a large background (if any) in the area of second language acquisition. Or a background in linguistics/linguistic theory.

(Not that it would really matter anyway, since most Asian English schools force you to teach via an audiolingual method to kids. Adult classes seem more structured towards declarative knowledge via grammar structure, vocab, syntax, etc.)

Do any of you get to design your own lesson plans that are not strictly audiolingual in nature? How much freedom do/did you have?

This is just a casual observation, I'm not sure how true it is or not, but it seems like a lot of the people who go to Asia to teach English just have a regular degree, and don't necessarily have a large background (if any) in the area of second language acquisition. Or a background in linguistics/linguistic theory.

Mmm, most of the people I know who have linguistics degrees also study Japanese and so they went on to be CIRs instead of ALTs. The school I teach at, though admittedly different because it's virtual, does require a teaching/linguistics background. I suppose it depends on the company.

lol, crap. Sorry man :|

Partly your fault for having messy U's.

mujun

Yes I would be better off. The problem is that most private schools around here require a master's degree, which is something I don't have. In the future when and if kids come into the picture, I may have to move out of Hiroshima, but for now I'm content enough to stay. I'm always looking though.

I got my job by sending out my resume to the 50 nearest private junior high and high schools. Some places might waive the masters requirement if you contact them directly.

I hope you manage to find something.

(Not that it would really matter anyway, since most Asian English schools force you to teach via an audiolingual method to kids. Adult classes seem more structured towards declarative knowledge via grammar structure, vocab, syntax, etc.)

Do any of you get to design your own lesson plans that are not strictly audiolingual in nature? How much freedom do/did you have?

By audiolingual do you mean communicative?

I get to design my own lessons, choose my own textbooks and pretty much decide how I want to do things. I'm not sure whether that is common or not, though. I teach reading comprehension (with a little writing) to junior high kids and although I mainly teach communication to my high school kids I have in the past taught reading comprehension and writing as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
By audiolingual do you mean communicative?

I get to design my own lessons, choose my own textbooks and pretty much decide how I want to do things. I'm not sure whether that is common or not, though. I teach reading comprehension (with a little writing) to junior high kids and although I mainly teach communication to my high school kids I have in the past taught reading comprehension and writing as well.

By audiolingual, I mean the teaching method based on behaviorism, also known as the "army method", since it was traditionally used by the army to teach second languages to large volumes of students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio-lingual_method

It's based on 1950s science, so it's a bit outdated, but it does still have its uses. It's particularly popular in Asian English classes, especially beginner level classes.

It's also good for kids with parents who have expectations since if the kid just repeats stuff in English well enough (even if the kid has no idea of the grammar or what the hell he's saying), it's still an impressive show for the parents. ("wow my kid can speak English already yay")

mujun

By audiolingual, I mean the teaching method based on behaviorism, also known as the "army method", since it was traditionally used by the army to teach second languages to large volumes of students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio-lingual_method

It's based on 1950s science, so it's a bit outdated, but it does still have its uses. It's particularly popular in Asian English classes, especially beginner level classes.

It's also good for kids with parents who have expectations since if the kid just repeats stuff in English well enough (even if the kid has no idea of the grammar or what the hell he's saying), it's still an impressive show for the parents. ("wow my kid can speak English already yay")

We don't teach that way at my school, at least not in the classes led by native English speakers. We definitely use the CLT approach that is mentioned in the wiki page you linked to.

Jintor

yeah so the fucking interview pweriod for Jet is 'sometime during february', i.e. the exact month i was going to go backpacking around europe

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk myyyyyyyyyyyy liiiiiiiiiiiiiifeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Necrovex

yeah so the fucking interview pweriod for Jet is 'sometime during february', i.e. the exact month i was going to go backpacking around europe

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk myyyyyyyyyyyy liiiiiiiiiiiiiifeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'll do your interview for you if you live in Florida. I'll wear a mustache to disguise myself.

caesar

Banned
I make 2.6M Won a month teaching for EPIK. It's a pretty sweet gig overall. Free housing, flights in and out of the country, no taxes, very low cost of living and cheap public transport. And this is in Seoul, a fucking awesome megacity!

Any questions just ask.

WoodWERD

Sorry - I should have written I do 13 contact hours teaching each week, and get paid an extra 150RMB per hour for any classes over the 13 hours a week. We also get 50rmb for every student that signs up after doing a demo class.

No worries, and those are some nice little incentives. I get some OT after 18 periods, with a period being 45 minutes. All my classes are 90 minutes so I'm pulling in a little OT each week.

I was the schools first foreign teacher, and worked 6 days a week for 9 months. Our teaching manager is inept and terrified of losing her job, so doesn't defend the teachers when the sales team make another stupid request. It's not a school by any stretch of the imagination. It's more realistically a childcare centre.

The curriculum is dreadful and is just a big glitzy scam to get parents to sign up. We use shitty interactive software that looks great to a non-native English speaker, but is actually full of errors, terrible 'games' and awful music and videos that somebody slapped together in an afternoon.

Yeah that is why I don't think I could do a language mill, especially one geared towards younger kids. I just spent a decade selling my soul in corporate America and need a break from that for awhile. I might look for an adult language center in Chengdu next fall if they can keep the hours low.

Life is good here! I love the random stuff that happens each day. Back home I was working 9 to 5 in a government call centre and feeling miserable.

Agreed. Life is too short to sit in a cube all day. Good luck with the next gig!

Kwixotik

I would really like to do this, but I don't know when I would. I'm graduating college now and getting ready for grad school. If I take a year off, it'll be to take extra classes to improve my grad school chances.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Out of curiosity, how IS the race situation in Asia when it comes to teaching English?
I keep hearing that in Japan and China, being Asian almost disqualifies you because they just assume you aren't qualified.

sohois

Out of curiosity, how IS the race situation in Asia when it comes to teaching English?
I keep hearing that in Japan and China, being Asian almost disqualifies you because they just assume you aren't qualified.

I had 2 colleagues who were Americans but with Cantonese heritage, they got less money than the other teachers but were able to get a job. But in general it would be difficult to find the standard english teaching gig being Asian, at least in China. I couldn't comment on JET.

matt360

I got my job by sending out my resume to the 50 nearest private junior high and high schools. Some places might waive the masters requirement if you contact them directly.

I hope you manage to find something.

Thanks. I've got my eye on a particular position at a high academic private high school next March/April here in Hiroshima. If that doesn't work out, I'm probably going to start looking for work in other prefectures. It'll piss the in-laws off, but at this point I don't really care. I do love Hiroshima, but it really is too small to find decent work if you don't have a masters. Even the university positions are mostly 5 years max. But I think that's the same everywhere in Japan. Not impossible for a foreigner to get tenure, but extremely rare.

mujun

Thanks. I've got my eye on a particular position at a high academic private high school next March/April here in Hiroshima. If that doesn't work out, I'm probably going to start looking for work in other prefectures. It'll piss the in-laws off, but at this point I don't really care. I do love Hiroshima, but it really is too small to find decent work if you don't have a masters. Even the university positions are mostly 5 years max. But I think that's the same everywhere in Japan. Not impossible for a foreigner to get tenure, but extremely rare.

No problems. Hope I didn't come off as pushy with my questions!

Yeah, university work isn't the perfect job it used to be. Too hard to get and hard to keep, too. I think private schools are the way to go now. One of my friends who also happens to work at the same school I do (in the elementary school) works five days a week from 8:30 to 12:30 for 260,000 a month. He also has better holidays than me (14 weeks a year instead of 12 or something like that).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I had 2 colleagues who were Americans but with Cantonese heritage, they got less money than the other teachers but were able to get a job. But in general it would be difficult to find the standard english teaching gig being Asian, at least in China. I couldn't comment on JET.
That seems unfortunate... I suppose finding work is better than nothing, but yeesh.

Yeah it's a problem here in China for sure. There will be some job listings that will straight up say "whites only" or similar things. It's mostly due to parents, especially in small cities who are unable to understand multiculturalism. They think only white people can be native English speakers or come from English speaking countries. Very rarely do people believe me when I say I'm Canadian here just because I'm black. The word African was one of the first words I learned in Mandarin just because I kept hearing it so often.

Not exactly the same situation, but I have a Chinese friend here who studied English lit at an American university and spent 7 years in the country. His English is perfect and he has almost no accent. But he's still unable to get a good job as an English teacher. He has to settle for public schools because none of the high-paying private schools or the university want to hire Chinese teachers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah it's a problem here in China for sure. There will be some job listings that will straight up say "whites only" or similar things. It's mostly due to parents, especially in small cities who are unable to understand multiculturalism. They think only white people can be native English speakers or come from English speaking countries. Very rarely do people believe me when I say I'm Canadian here just because I'm black. The word African was one of the first words I learned in Mandarin just because I kept hearing it so often.

Not exactly the same situation, but I have a Chinese friend here who studied English lit at an American university and spent 7 years in the country. His English is perfect and he has almost no accent. But he's still unable to get a good job as an English teacher. He has to settle for public schools because none of the high-paying private schools or the university want to hire Chinese teachers.

That just sounds frustrating more than anything else. And I suppose there really isn't much a shortage in terms of "real"/white foreigners there vying for those teaching jobs that they couldn't afford to be less prejudiced.

mujun

That just sounds frustrating more than anything else. And I suppose there really isn't much a shortage in terms of "real"/white foreigners there vying for those teaching jobs that they couldn't afford to be less prejudiced.

Same problem exists in Japan.

It's best to be a white, blonde haired, blue eyed man from either the U.K. or U.S.A.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Hey guys, Does anyone know if government programs like JET exist in other non-English speaking countries, or is it all private?

Hey guys, Does anyone know if government programs like JET exist in other non-English speaking countries, or is it all private?
Korea has EPIK and TALK. Korea has a lot of government funded programs for foreigners actually (not just teaching), it's pretty awesome.

It sounds like it can be a real problem depending on where you go.

On the other hand though, I have a friend who grew up in Taiwan but moved to Australia in high school and got her citizenship a few years ago. Her English is perfect, if a little accented, and she's had no trouble getting work in Japan. Apparently no one has picked up on her accent as yet.

Porcile

Hardest thing so far seems to be explaining to my lecturers what JET actually is (as opposed to what they just assume it is) so that they write a reference which is a bit more JET-centric and about my suitability for the programme. Hopefully it will be worth it if i can motivate them enough to get the things written in good time.

watershed

Banned
Has anyone here been on both JET and EPIK? I'm interested to know what the differences are.

I have friends who have done both but I only have experience with EPIK. I was told that with EPIK you get paid a little more and that with JET you are more of an English talking tape than a teacher.

From my own experience in EPIK its great for getting to test out teaching as a profession or just getting to teach in general. I have a lot of freedom to teach what I want, how I want.

Maybe the JET experience varies depending on placement but many people have told me that it's not really teaching. They are either just speaking English from the textbook or are assisting a main Japanese teacher.

Maybe the JET experience varies depending on placement but many people have told me that it's not really teaching. They are either just speaking English from the textbook or are assisting a main Japanese teacher.

Well, JET is divided into two different positions (well, three..). The assistant language teachers, and "Coordinator for International Relations" positions that seems a lot more fun and involved. You arrange events etc as well as assisting at several different schools, but I think it requires JLPT N2 or N1, so you need to be pretty competent in Japanese to do it.

http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/aspiring/positions.html

decaf

I have friends who have done both but I only have experience with EPIK. I was told that with EPIK you get paid a little more and that with JET you are more of an English talking tape than a teacher.

From my own experience in EPIK its great for getting to test out teaching as a profession or just getting to teach in general. I have a lot of freedom to teach what I want, how I want.

Sounds like I had the exact same experience as you, only on JET. Certainly some schools are worse than others in terms of how they use their ALT, but often the ALT can be part of the problem too...

When I first arrived my school had me going through what I found to be boring worksheets, then I eventually moved on to having students translate several sentences to English, have the best come up and write them on the board, correct them, then leave. After a year of that I asked every teacher and the head of the department if I could implement a new system using speaking, listening, reading, writing and teamwork (no translation) and they went for it after a three week trial. I designed all the handouts myself, led the classes and encouraged my teachers to predominantly use English.

I ran into non-JET ALTs all over Japan who asked "so you're in the middle of nowhere?"/"so you're a human tape recorder?"/"so you have to work all summer?" when I told them I was on JET. It seemingly blew their minds when I told them it was quite the opposite for me.

To any future JETs - you need something to do in your downtime. Whether it's reading, coding, writing, studying or moonlighting; do something. Don't just spend all day on GAF like I did.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies to industrian...man...someday man I swear...

He has a site collecting info on this very topic. I was supposed to contribute but I'm so bogged down by other crap right now.

I can answer general Korean cultural questions and experiences and problems with the private schools here. I haven't taught in Seoul in years but I'm here visiting in laws now so I have a good update on the lay of the land here.

I've also advised some gaffers in the past via pm too.

Seriously firehawk finish yer damn PhD first and then go to Japan, Korea, or Taiwan.

Money is more in Korea at the moment and English is still hot here whereas JET is a former shell of itself.

Wubby

Earlier last month we started interviewing people for a position at my school. It's interesting the different types of people you get.

One of the applicants, an older guy, never showed up for his interview at the scheduled time. No call or email saying he would be late. Had other interviews that day so we just moved on. Later that night around 9 we get an email from him. He came but got lost. Where? Across the street. Yes somehow he completely missed our big white building with its huge colorful logo across the front. The only applicant who couldn't find the place. He says he doesn't have a cell phone so couldn't call (who doesn't have a cell phone?). Despite listing 'fluent Japanese' on his resume asking directions wasn't possible, or making a call on a payphone at the local station.

Sorry but we won't be rescheduling an interview, thank you for your interest, blah, blah, we reply. Since then we've been getting emails from him every 4 days. One email he reports that the local station has no payphones. Today an email pointing out a grammar mistake he found in an earlier email sent to him. I have a feeling he'll just show up one of these days, or a mysterious package will be outside the door. Thankfully he lives over an hour away, apparently none of the closer schools want to hire him. Sigh...

Not surprisingly it's really hard to find a female native English speaker. 98% percent of the applications we got are guys. Only two girls applied, both live really far away though.

Not surprisingly it's really hard to find a female native English speaker. 98% percent of the applications we got are guys. Only two girls applied, both live really far away though.

Really? That's really odd. Teaching and linguistics tend to draw a lot more women for whatever reason, pretty surprised to hear that it's the other way around when it comes to English teachers abroad.

caesar

Banned
Earlier last month we started interviewing people for a position at my school. It's interesting the different types of people you get.

One of the applicants, an older guy, never showed up for his interview at the scheduled time. No call or email saying he would be late. Had other interviews that day so we just moved on. Later that night around 9 we get an email from him. He came but got lost. Where? Across the street. Yes somehow he completely missed our big white building with its huge colorful logo across the front. The only applicant who couldn't find the place. He says he doesn't have a cell phone so couldn't call (who doesn't have a cell phone?). Despite listing 'fluent Japanese' on his resume asking directions wasn't possible, or making a call on a payphone at the local station.

Sorry but we won't be rescheduling an interview, thank you for your interest, blah, blah, we reply. Since then we've been getting emails from him every 4 days. One email he reports that the local station has no payphones. Today an email pointing out a grammar mistake he found in an earlier email sent to him. I have a feeling he'll just show up one of these days, or a mysterious package will be outside the door. Thankfully he lives over an hour away, apparently none of the closer schools want to hire him. Sigh...

Yeah... I always forget that a lot of EFL teachers are weird or social outcasts. Then someone like him will come along and remind you.

Korea won't outright ask for Whites only, but being an attractive blonde female certainly helps. In fact it just outright helps if you are above average looking, this is the most judgmental country in the world when it comes to looks. You'd see what I mean if you saw all the plastic surgery adverts in Gangnam.

It's actually a fairly common present for girls graduating highschool.

That's a little strange. Here, 6 of 8 foreign teachers are women and the entire Chinese staff as well. But it's not for a lack of trying. The manager outright told me she keeps trying to hire guys, but she only gets applications from girls.

My wife and I are seriously considering doing this next year, but the whole process seems kind of overwhelming considering the need to go as a couple and trying to work around different wants/experience etc.

The criteria for us would obviously be living together, which seems like it could be incredibly difficult to arrange. We are open to different locations, though Japan/Korea seem like they would fit us best. I'm actually a primary school teacher in Australia (Bachelor of Teaching), though I've only been out of University for a little over a year, which means that I've haven't had the 2 year experience requirement I've seen on some recruitment sites. My wife doesn't have experience with teaching, and would prefer a non-teaching role as she has experience in management (branch manager for a health fund/certificates in management). What are the opportunities like for non-teaching jobs, or if within the education sector what would her opportunities be if she doesn't have teaching experience?

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

caesar

Banned
My wife and I are seriously considering doing this next year, but the whole process seems kind of overwhelming considering the need to go as a couple and trying to work around different wants/experience etc.

The criteria for us would obviously be living together, which seems like it could be incredibly difficult to arrange. We are open to different locations, though Japan/Korea seem like they would fit us best. I'm actually a primary school teacher in Australia (Bachelor of Teaching), though I've only been out of University for a little over a year, which means that I've haven't had the 2 year experience requirement I've seen on some recruitment sites. My wife doesn't have experience with teaching, and would prefer a non-teaching role as she has experience in management (branch manager for a health fund/certificates in management). What are the opportunities like for non-teaching jobs, or if within the education sector what would her opportunities be if she doesn't have teaching experience?

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Well, I only know about Korea but here goes:

As you are married, living together should be no problem. If you apply through the EPIK program, you will be placed together with no exceptions. However, you might not be working at the same school.

You have a degree in education and teaching experience, this means you are more than qualified to teach here and you shouldn't start on shitty paygrades. 2.2 million won minimum! Your wife would be fine to teach here most likely however she will be required to get some kind of TEFL qualification, I recommend either going all the way and doing a CELTA or doing a short 120hr course with classroom component.

As for non-teaching jobs, I wouldn't recommend it. Your wife wouldn't receive any special benefits and unless she can speak the language (I'm assuming no) they will be unlikely to even consider her.

Whereas being ESL teachers (with EPIK) you get the following:

- Reimbursement of flight costs
- 300,000 won settlement allowance
- A free apartment (You just pay for bills)
- Tax exemption, or if not the tax is very low anyway. 3%-ish
- Health insurance
- 18 - 21 days vacation (This is a workaholic country)
- A government run scheme = job security.
- 22 contact hours a week. (Easy hours for Korea)
- One months salary bonus at the completion of one year/great re-signing bonuses.

This means you basically pocket all of the money which you can use to travel or save etc. The cost of living is cheap so this is all possible. The other possible route is to go to a private school (a hagwon), although I don't recommend this for beginner for a few reasons:

- Great hagwons exist, however if you don't know the market you can end up somewhere shady.
- You will be worked harder, maybe 30 contact hours a week.
- Your vacation will be short as hell. 10 days a year is the norm.
- Non - government means you can be fired a lot easier.
- You may earn more money, however as I said, they are mercenary.

The biggest downside to EPIK is you can't decide where you will be placed, you can say your preference but it is no guarantee. If you want a chance to get to Seoul you have to be early. I've probably forgotten a few things so yeah, I'd recommend EPIK. They have a February and August intake, it's a little late for the Feb one now but it is very possible you could make the August one if you apply and get your documents in EARLY. I'm talking Jan/Feb.

I'd say your chances are pretty damn good though, I came here with a BA in English (which is considered a +) and no teaching experience. I got in pretty easily. Although remember this, Korea is a pretty judgmental society. They care a great deal about their appearance and judge others for theirs, if you are overweight or ugly you might not have a great time.That's the ugly side of Korea, heh.

Anymore Qs, just ask!

Jintor

I want to doublecheck this for JET applications: If I'm not going for early April access, I don't need to have the Criminal Record Check or the Certificate of Health attached in my initial submission, correct?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, Caesar I ain't a good looking guy and while I won't deny they are obsessed with physical looks, so long as you aren't an ogre and prove to them you're there to work and work hard you'll be fine.

And I'm not a white dude either. I was just a Generic Asian Guy and it strangely worked in my favour.

Thoraxes

Bookmarking this thread to come back to after i've put a bigger dent in my student loans.

Was planning on applying in about 2 years from now or so, but any resource is wonderful to have handy.

And I'm not a white dude either. I was just a Generic Asian Guy and it strangely worked in my favour.

Oh really? I don't know if you'd be able to elaborate. My partner is half-Korean and he's quite concerned that it'll be a major disadvantage in trying to work either in Korea because he won't be foreign enough, or Japan because of his Koreaness.

caesar

Banned
Eh, Caesar I ain't a good looking guy and while I won't deny they are obsessed with physical looks, so long as you aren't an ogre and prove to them you're there to work and work hard you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean you won't find work. But you might want some thick skin.

Being a white female definitely helps, if you go on the job boards right now you will probably see a few job descriptions that are like, "North American Female Only!"

You're just on top of the pile if you are, not saying you won't find work otherwise.

Oh really? I don't know if you'd be able to elaborate. My partner is half-Korean and he's quite concerned that it'll be a major disadvantage in trying to work either in Korea because he won't be foreign enough, or Japan because of his Koreaness.

Is he gyopo?

If he is he should be able to get an F4 visa.

Vesmir

Banned
Bookmarking this. Looking to teach in China in a couple of years (GF is from there so that might help) so I can pay off loans. The race thing is disconcerting (I'm Latino) but it should not pose too much of a problem.

Simplet

I don't understand how you guys are able to teach in China without a master's degree. When I was looking to work there they told me that I can't even get a visa to enter the country without a Master and 3 years of experience. Is it somehow different for english teachers (I teach french)?

Cool thread. I'm teaching and developing material at two private language schools in Tokyo. Got a degree in linguistics and writing my Masters thesis about my research with Japanese babies.

Hi hi.

I'm an American dude on his fourth year in JET. Teach in a small city called Isahaya, which is just thirty minutes outside of Nagasaki City. I teach at two middle schools and four elementary. I speaks Japanese. Always happy to field questions. While I'm definitely in an assistant role at middle school, I am in complete control of everything happens at ES, from lesson planning to the flow of the class. More often than not, I'm the only teacher in the room.

<3 Cool thread dude.

Jintor

I want to doublecheck this for JET applications: If I'm not going for early April access, I don't need to have the Criminal Record Check or the Certificate of Health attached in my initial submission, correct?

bump

Don't know if it'll be the same for all countries... hmmmm... I'd better doublecheck with the JET desk at MOFA...

caesar

Banned
Hi hi.

I'm an American dude on his fourth year in JET. Teach in a small city called Isahaya, which is just thirty minutes outside of Nagasaki City. I teach at two middle schools and four elementary. I speaks Japanese. Always happy to field questions. While I'm definitely in an assistant role at middle school, I am in complete control of everything happens at ES, from lesson planning to the flow of the class. More often than not, I'm the only teacher in the room.

<3 Cool thread dude.

6 schools?! Wowww.

I am from Venezuela but I speak fluently Spanish, English, French and Portuguese. Is there any chance for me to participate in this?

Not in Korea I'm afraid, they ask specifically for native speakers. Impressive language skills though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom