• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs: 2017-2018 edition - Vote open until Oct 13th - Win Free RPGs

Basically, my opinion is that 3DS FE stories don't do the leg-work previous FEs did and it was in that leg-work that FE had potential to be something more than trite, cliche war stories and character romps.

I think the approach to character personality (and art) design has also changed and it exacerbates this, but I don't think it is central to the "problem."

For an example:

Just look at the child-producing mechanics of modern FE compared to those of FE4. In the latter, you have this grand tragedy and revenge of the righteous cycle, which contextualizes the child-producing system.

In FEA and FEF...you have skin-flint narrative rationales, and the main point is to service the expanded mating simulation. They don't even try in Fates in this regard.
Also in Fates the whole...you abandon your kids in a dimension that time travels faster in is fucking stupid.

Opa-Pa

I imagine Atlus are busy and having a lot of headaches trying to think of the best way to move EO to Switch without dual screens. I think they even confirmed there's one more game coming to 3DS.

But yeah, generally for deeper JRPG experience you need to go to handhelds for now. Variety is so good we're even getting a Deep Strange Journey :p

MoonFrog

I imagine Atlus are busy and having a lot of headaches trying to think of the best way to move EO to Switch without dual screens. I think they even confirmed there's one more game coming to 3DS.

But yeah, generally for deeper JRPG experience you need to go to handhelds for now. Variety is so good we're even getting a Deep Strange Journey :p
I do wonder where they'll go on Switch.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Also games like WoW and FF XIV are amazing but time consuming since they're MMO's so I didn't vote for either in an essential list and not surprised at their spots.

Yea, MMOs are weird for me on these lists. EQ and WoW are easily two of my favorite games ever, as I played EQ from 1999 until the release of WoW in 2004, which I then played right until the end of MoP, so about a decade. Easily some of my most favorite boss encounters (Heroic Ragnaros anyone?), and fun I've had playing a game, but I do not know if I'd actually recommend them to anyone or say they're "essential to play" for two reasons:

1. They're constantly changing. The EQ and WoW of today are not the same games that I originally fell in love with (for better and for worse). As a quick example I mentioned before, you are unable to fight Heroic Ragnaros as intended as he was back then, that experience is gone. And then there is other events like the opening of the AQ gates, which will never happen again.

2. Much of the experience is derived from social encounters. The vast majority of my memories of these games also involve other players being involved. I imagine if you are unable to find a tight group of people to bond with, the games are probably less enjoyable.

Opa-Pa

A little sad that Mother 3 isn't top 10 (and apparently never has?!), but aww, my comment got highlighted. That's nice, this game is so special to me.

kswiston

36-40 are now up with quotes for each.

I am going to try and get 31-35 posted later tonight.

Large Professor was the 4th name drawn in the raffle

A little sad that Mother 3 isn't top 10 (and apparently never has?!), but aww, my comment got highlighted. That's nice, this game is so special to me.

Looking at it on the bright side of things, Mother 3 is the only game without an official English release to ever make the Top 50 list.

Glad Nier is still recognized! One of the best RPGs from 360/PS3 days. Drop maybe due to Nier:A vote splitting?

Surprised FF VIII has climbed in rankings. But then, I never got why anyone liked it in the first place =P

Fou-Lu

I am always happy to see games that I might have voted for if I had more space get in the top 50.

Like Mario RPG, FFVIII, Nier, Xenoblade X, Final Fantasy XII and Trails in the Sky FC.

I was excited when those rumours of the game finally receiving an official English translation started to appear on the internet again...

so I haven't played it yet.

Eolz

Oh wow, just understood now that it was being updated in the OP.
Thought that was just some updates from OP on his work and that there'd be a new thread for the results...

Really happy with some of those results!

Fou-Lu

It almost certainly would have if it had received an english release on gba.

I think it would blow a lot of minds if it came out officially in English, it certainly blew my mind when I played it. Mother 3 is an incomparably whimsical, charming and beautiful game.

FiveSide

Banned
WOW, highest FFVIII's ever been! Awesome, really happy with the result for it.

Mother 3 dropping is unfortunate, but I'm not sure we can expect anything else until whenever
if ever...
it comes to the West...

EDIT: FF8gaf

PTws9kt9SMu2qULd1OZR_tumblr_lqut2bXAt01qa56two1_500.gif

EDIT2: Nier drop is kind of surprising given the exposure Automata gave the series...I guess a lot of people switched their votes over to Automata instead?

brian!

I put earthbound on my list and felt weird also including mother 3, but it's a great game

FiveSide

Banned
I put earthbound on my list and felt weird also including mother 3, but it's a great game

I did the same, tried to stick to one game per franchise but ended up including both EarthBound and Mother 3.

God-tier series, might be my all-time favorite despite the fact that there's only 3 entries.

Opa-Pa

I guess what surprised me is that Earthbound seems to be prevalent in these lists and I tend to assume most EB enthusiasts have played Mother 3 too, but I guess it's not that simple.

Come on Nintendo >_> holding off on a worldwide release of your best game ain't funny anymore.

Looking at it on the bright side of things, Mother 3 is the only game without an official English release to ever make the Top 50 list.

Ah that's pretty noteworthy, I'm glad, it really deserves all the exposure it can get.

I was excited when those rumours of the game finally receiving an official English translation started to appear on the internet again...

so I haven't played it yet.

I never know what to suggest to people in your position because if I were there I'd probably choose to wait too... Have you played the other two games yet, though? M3 is amazing on its own, but with the context of the other two it's pretty much godlike.

I know plenty of games get this kinda overhyped status from fans, but M3 is the real deal. It's so good in every sense that it's one of those games I force myself not to replay just so when I finally do it'll be as special an occasion as possible.

Wazzy

Banned
VIII finally moved up in the rankings
6IJgM4E.png

Super happy for it and while I wanted it at least in top 20 I'm happy with the result. I think IX will be either right after it or only a couple positions ahead. I wish something from me could have been used as a quote. MY LOVE FOR THIS GAME IS UNDYING lol

WOW, highest FFVIII's ever been! Awesome, really happy with the result for it.

Mother 3 dropping is unfortunate, but I'm not sure we can expect anything else until whenever
if ever...
it comes to the West...

EDIT: FF8gaf

PTws9kt9SMu2qULd1OZR_tumblr_lqut2bXAt01qa56two1_500.gif

?
kMje94w.gif

WE DID IT VIII FAM

MoonFrog

I've only played EarthBound; my sister's only played Mother 3. I technically have access to the script and the Japanese game and I did try it once. I didn't get the rhythm system and didn't have the text to explain the timing to me. I guess I could just look that up though.

Kind of want an English version tbh. I don't always like using a paper script, or rather, it can be a hassle.

Aters

I want to play Deus Ex, but that game doesn't look pretty. SE should remake it. About time remaking something that's not a JRPG.

Always love FFVIII so happy to see it's up there.

Vecks

Knights of the Old Republic has fallen quite far. It doesn't surprise me though, since I was also planning to leave it off my ballot.

FiveSide

Banned
I want to play Deus Ex, but that game doesn't look pretty. SE should remake it.

With System Shock and SS2 getting upcoming remakes, hopefully Deus Ex gets a similar treatment. To be honest I think Deus Ex needs the modern upgrade more than SS2 does.

Glad to see Dragonfall ranked the best so far.

I haven't played it but I keep hearing recommendations for it around here.

Same, it's supposed to be pretty short too, I might try to play that sometime this Winter.

It's been hard fitting WRPGs into my schedule nowadays though. Even when they're short, they usually have so many subsystems and stats, plus the world-building and copious dialogue can be draining at times.

Not really understanding why KOTOR fell so far.

Maybe people have soured on Bioware in general? I don't know. I'm not a Bioware fan but I think KOTOR is their strongest game, from the ones I've played.

randomkid

All of this discussion attempting to parse these ranking changes (and having them codified in the otherwise really nice banners, great job everyone) continues to be really weird given the low participation rate. A handful of people decide to vote or not vote and suddenly these placements outside of the top ten all look wildly different. I know people think it's fun to discuss but those values are pretty meaningless, which you'll see when the actual point totals get posted eventually.

Having said all that, Dragon Quest 5 at 60 is still an embarrassment, get it together voters.

I want to play Deus Ex, but that game doesn't look pretty. SE should remake it. About time remaking something that's not a JRPG.

SE won't be happy until you can play FFI-VI on your PC, handheld, console, phone, toaster, fridge, car, and smart watch.

Then maybe they'll remake some of their older games.

FiveSide

Banned
All of this discussion attempting to parse these ranking changes (and having them codified in the otherwise really nice banners, great job everyone) continues to be really weird given the low participation rate. A handful of people decide to vote or not vote and suddenly these placements outside of the top ten all look wildly different. I know people think it's fun to discuss but those values are pretty meaningless, which you'll see when the actual point totals get posted eventually.

Having said all that, Dragon Quest 5 at 60 is still an embarrassment, get it together voters.

I mean sure, that's true to an extent, but most enthusiast polls are going to have small sample polls.

Hell, when Famitsu ran their "Best RPG Poll" in June, they got about 2300 votes, and that's for the largest mainstream gaming publication in Japan. (EDIT: Source)

This poll was limited to one gaming forum and had about 200 votes, I think that's a respectable amount to at least comment on some of the changes over time, perhaps not for gaming at large, but certainly for the tastes of this particular forum.

There are about 200,000 GAF members, the percentage of those who participated in this poll is much higher than the percentage of Japanese gamers who participated in the Famitsu poll.

SE won't be happy until you can play FFI-VI on your PC, handheld, console, phone, toaster, fridge, car, and smart watch.

Then maybe they'll remake some of their older games.

I doubt Square would ever do it, I actually had more in mind a high-level fan remake. Just a huge visual upgrade, maybe tied to some QoL improvements.

There already are some of those to an extent with the current mods, but ideally it'd be something more comprehensive.

Lynx_7

I generally enjoy FE narratives. I don't have high expectations for videogame stories in the first place, so they do what they set out to do fairly well and it keeps me engaged in the gameplay and characters. Sometimes they elevate what would ordinarily be mediocre missions and/or boss encounters into something legitimately more exciting and memorable. In Echoes' case, I'd even argue the presentation is enough to carry what would otherwise be a bottom tier FE entry. So Fates' boring narrative does hurt the game for me, as otherwise there wouldn't be much in the way of me declaring it my favorite entry in the series, but it also doesn't detract from it enough for me to call it garbage or even mediocre. It's still a great game for me (Conquest anyway, the other two are kind of a slog), just not everything it could've been.

I've only played EarthBound; my sister's only played Mother 3. I technically have access to the script and the Japanese game and I did try it once. I didn't get the rhythm system and didn't have the text to explain the timing to me. I guess I could just look that up though.

Kind of want an English version tbh. I don't always like using a paper script, or rather, it can be a hassle.
Tbh I never got the hang of the rhythm thing, ever. I wasn't even sure what beats I was supposed to be following in some tracks, and I still did fine. It's one of those things you can kind of ignore and beat the game regardless. Sometimes I did manage to chain a 2 or 3 hit combo, in a few occasions even more than that, but it was too rare to be reliable.

Same, [Dragonfall] supposed to be pretty short too, I might try to play that sometime this Winter.

It's been hard fitting WRPGs into my schedule nowadays though. Even when they're short, they usually have so many subsystems and stats, plus the world-building and copious dialogue can be draining at times.

Dragonfall is indeed a tight 15-20-hour game. It's pretty lean on subsystems and stats--nothing like as complicated as a Pillars of Eternity. And I'd even say the world-building is efficient for a game of its type. I will caution you, however, that dialogue fatigue can be an issue. The gameplay loop involves extended dialogue sessions with 5-6 characters every time you return to HQ. The characters are great, and most players are excited to engage more with them. But at a certain point you can feel like you're grinding conversations. Best to take a break then and come back when you're of a mood to sink into the dialogue.

I don't know. While I wouldn't read much into a given game's placement any particular year, it seems reasonable to ask about multi-year trends when we have background reason for thinking it's more than variance in the voting population. For example (and I don't know whether this is true), if Diablo 2 has finished lower, on average, these past three years than it did in the three years before, I'd be pretty comfortable saying it had declined in popularity, and I would wonder whether other old online RPGs had seen similar declines.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All that FFVIII gloating is enough to make me grimace in pain. One of the worst games I ever played. At least it didn't beat Demon's Souls, phew. :p

@ OP: there's a typo in the Fallout 2 banner, it says "Falout"

Luminaire

All that FFVIII gloating is enough to make me grimace in pain. One of the worst games I ever played. At least it didn't beat Demon's Souls, phew. :p

@ OP: there's a typo in the Fallout 2 banner, it says "Falout"

At least it's not FFIX :D

Also a typo in the TitS banner.

"to he extremely verbose nature"

kswiston

I caught the Fallout typo while I was adding in the quotes. It must have been there less than 5 minutes.

I will fix the Trails typo now though. Thanks for catching that!

#31-35 have been added with quotes. We'll be moving into the top 30 next!

EDIT: Trails typo is fixed now.

Demon's Souls worst position and Divinity Original Sin getting way worse. Welp.

I think it's a case of availability for Demon's, while there are people who voted for Original Sin 2 instead of the first game, like me.

Demon's Souls deserve that place if you ask me. The game ranks too high in these threads despite being super obtuse at times. I understand it was the game that gave birth to the Souls series, but exactly because of that many of its mechanics are super annoying.

Now, if you excuse I'm going to run away from here before the mob with torches start to gather.

MoonFrog

Speaking of D: OS, I do wonder if I should start CRPG with something modern like that, something like Baldur's Gate, or something like Ultima.

Knowing myself, I'll keep putting off this hypothetical start and keep filling in my JRPG holes but...it is something I ideally want to do some day.

Top Bottom