• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom buys a 3DS for her son, box is full of rocks

Man what kind of Walmart doesn't require checks on returns of consoles or fucking iPads??

The local ones around here have always been extremely strict about electronic returns.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I imagine the items are coming back shrink wrapped so they assume its never been open.

3DS's aren't Shrink wrapped, but they are sealed with those little tabs. I'm betting whomever returned it, made it look like it was never opened. It really isn't that hard to do.

However, the employee should have checked the box better to make sure that the seals were not moved in any way.

Vidiot

Could likely buy a 3DS and return an old DSlite or something in the box and the employee would never know the difference.

Qurupeke

Are you sure they were really rocks?

Rock_Pikmin.jpg

Oh no. :eek: I hope they didn't throw the rocks away... Pikmin Massacre.

She explained to the store what happened, and the store gave her a new Nintendo.
Poor Iwata, I guess this was going to happen eventually.

Good luck to her dealing with investors. Can't wait to see how she mixes things up on the next Nintendo Direct.

how does something like this happen? why didn't they open the box and check its contents? seems lazy and stupid not to open the box to check its contents.

Neiteio

Takes me back to when I got GameCube its first Christmas... Rogue Leader's disk had been replaced with a mini-CD that contained WMVs of game trailers. The culprit had then re-shrink-wrapped the package so no one was the wiser. We were able to take it back and get it exchangd for a real game, however.

how does something like this happen? why didn't they open the box and check its contents? seems lazy and stupid not to open the box to check its contents.
An uninterested minimum wage worker probably accepted the box at the return department without checking, regardless of policy. Then it was shrinkwrapped by another apathetic employee and put back on the shelf.

Hopefully whoever scammed Walmart in the first place had the courtesy to use just one rock, instead of a bunch that would clearly make noise whenever the box moved.

cuz of wal mart employees.

An uninterested minimum wage worker probably accepted the box at the return department without checking, regardless of policy. Then it was shrinkwrapped by another apathetic employee and put back on the shelf.

Hopefully whoever scammed Walmart in the first place had the courtesy to use just one rock, instead of a bunch that would clearly make noise whenever the box moved.

it doesn't take more than a minute to check the contents. I can understand feeling unmotivated, etc, but really, not bothering to just crack the box open a little to check a return is just ridiculous.

Jasconius

Do you guys even know what a 3DS box looks like? It's not shrinkwrapped, it just has those tape circles on the sides. A smart scammer will make it look like the box hasn't been opened and restick the circles on well, making the employees think it is not opened. Especially around the holidays there are lots of unopened returns on stuff like this and it's not like you want to go around opening unopened returns, since if it's actually unopened you can just stick it back on the shelf.

Once you've worked retail for a while you start to get a feel for this, but newer employees fall for stuff like this all the time, which is what the scammers count on.

eXistor

What the hell, they don't check the returned items? Are they idiots? People can't be trusted man, check that shit, always.

dan2026

Wow I have never returned anything to a store without them checking it.

The guy who exchanged those rocks for cash must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Valnen

Uhh what? If something is returned, especially electronics, they shouldn't be putting it back in the shelf to sell again anyway as there was clearly something wrong with it.

Uhh what? If something is returned, especially electronics, they shouldn't be putting it back in the shelf to sell again anyway as there was clearly something wrong with it.

Not always. But yeah, when I worked retail it was policy to always check returns for any abnormalities.

Zee-Row

Banned
Senator Soufflé;45897162 said:
Do people actually call 3DS / Wiis, a Nintendo or is that just really rubbish article writing?

Its the exact reason naming the Wii U its name was a dumb mistake. The Wii name doesn't have big name recognition and just confuses people. I would of called it the Ultra Nintendo or something.

Its the exact reason naming the Wii U its name was a dumb mistake. The Wii name doesn't have big name recognition and just confuses people. I would of called it the Ultra Nintendo or something.
A local video store had a neon sign of "Ultra 64" made right before Nintendo changed it to the N64.

I felt... bad for them.

I purchased Dragon's Dogma from Wal-Mart a few months back.

No disc in the fully wrapped case. It was their last copy so I when I returned it, I went home and bought it on Amazon. Too bad 3DS' aren't sold on amazon.

n64coder

Maybe they should change the return policy to require a form of identification when returning expensive stuff?

gatti-man

You would think they would do that BEFORE they refund people's money...

They do. It's a bs excuse from Walmart. I've returned things over the years there and every time they pulled everything out. A recent example I returned a basic wiiu in November and they checked it. Mine was even still factory sealed, still checked it.

sakipon

They do. It's a bs excuse from Walmart. I've returned things over the years there and every time they pulled everything out. A recent example I returned a basic wiiu in November and they checked it. Mine was even still factory sealed, still checked it.

So... maybe the rock thing was an inside job.

Top Bottom