• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Hyun Sai

I don't even want to know what's going on in Infiltration head right now. That must be really embarrassing when you think of it.

DunpealD

Man Marn is actually a scumbag, fuck

post-25196-BRB-using-imagination-since-no-B9lT_zpsf903a5ea.gif

Congrats to CountBlack on making it to top 16 at Toryuken.

Dude don't even like the game and he hit Top 16 god damn.

Also lmao at people on Twitter saying Nash is still great. He's below average but in SFV you can still take tournaments with characters like that.

It's both. Sorta.

Usually it's 1/2 the person and 1/2 the character. In most modern fighting games, you ain't getting carried by your character in tournament where the game is relatively balanced with people who know their shit. Maybe if it was month one and people were figuring shit out (ala Deathshot and people not realizing you can meter burn through the shots but I don't know if he won a tournament yet). But generally speaking, You and your character put in work.

The lower on the iter list you go, the more work you put in. So it's like 1/4 the character and 3/4 your own skill. The character is still viable, but it takes more effort to pull off that win. That's where Nash sits. But that makes Bonchan that much more impressive to take the character that far. It's no fluke. He got interrupted by Tokido's jump in doing an ex move and recovered doing another special, got damage, and converted off of that. To me, that's fucking insane.

Basically, Bonchan is a god, Nash isn't useless completely, and so long as you don't shit around with FANG, Alex, Ryu, or Juri, you can win a tournament.

Tekken has that level of play as well. Jack 7 is like lower mid and Saint takes that dude and shits on people with him.

Edit: I guess I should say I think the lowest tiers are like 0/4 and winning with them takes so much work and effort that you might as well just pick someone else. Then again, you never know. Some godlike FANG player can start pulling off consistent wins and pfffftttt jk.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Weekly missions done. Gotta keep grinding to get that Thailand stage! (unless they include it in the season 2 pass?)

Tendo

Haven't played since launch and want to jump back in. What are some decent characters for beginner - intermediate players? I have season 1 and will prolly grab season 2 this week. Any idears?

Haven't played since launch and want to jump back in. What are some decent characters for beginner - intermediate players? I have season 1 and will prolly grab season 2 this week. Any idears?

Depends what kinda of playstyle you looking for?

Ryu isn't in the best spot right now, but he's still the best to learn the game with.

HiResDes

Cammy is the easiest character to learn and become competent with while establishing some knowledge of what little neutral game is left in SFV

Neoxon

I don't care for charge characters. I mained Laura at launch and did ~ok~ but i cant remember squat now.
Ryu's good for fundamentals, but he isn't exactly one of the best characters in the game right now. If you want someone who's easy to get into, Ed's probably your best bet whenever he comes out.

Edzi

Lately, the first game I play in ranked ALWAYS results in a failure to send/receive, completely erasing any point gain/loss. It's been completely consistent for me.

myco666

Ryu's good for fundamentals, but he isn't exactly one of the best characters in the game right now. If you want someone who's easy to get into, Ed's probably your best bet whenever he comes out.

As someone who mained Ryu to learn how to play fighting games I never understood how he is supposed to be good for fundamentals. After picking Birdie I've learned way more about spacing, anti-airing consistently and not jumping recklessly than I ever did with Ryu.

Edzi

As someone who mained Ryu to learn how to play fighting games I never understood how he is supposed to be good for fundamentals. After picking Birdie I've learned way more about spacing, anti-airing consistently and not jumping recklessly than I ever did with Ryu.

In SFV, he's not. I'd recommend Necalli for a beginner in this game.

MechaX

Man, limited time after work + socializing + other games really knocked me off the SFV wagon in the past week. And I'm getting myself hype to make a serious attempt to get into Tekken 7 in a few weeks, so man. But I'm hoping to get some time in this week, but Fire Emblem Echoes is addicting.

Yeah Necalli is a better Ryu than Ryu is.

This reminds me that I hate Necalli's design and never actually touched him outside of story mode.

But shit, if this is the case, I need to hit the lab with him.

MCD250

Cammy. Dead easy to use and good damage.

Necalli isn't a bad choice either, but I feel like he has so much busted shit that it may be difficult to adapt to a fairer character if you choose to move on from him eventually.

Necalli's stuff isn't TOO busted. Once people are at a moderate level against you, the gameplan gets more advanced than hitting HK and looking for that CC. Your spacing still has to be on point, he just gets big boy damage and doesn't have long, intricate combos.

Man, limited time after work + socializing + other games really knocked me off the SFV wagon in the past week. And I'm getting myself hype to make a serious attempt to get into Tekken 7 in a few weeks, so man. But I'm hoping to get some time in this week, but Fire Emblem Echoes is addicting.

This reminds me that I hate Necalli's design and never actually touched him outside of story mode.

But shit, if this is the case, I need to hit the lab with him.

Work smart, not hard when you train. You'll be fine!

And Necaili is great.

Edzi

Necalli's stuff isn't TOO busted. Once people are at a moderate level against you, the gameplan gets more advanced than hitting HK and looking for that CC. Your spacing still has to be on point, he just gets big boy damage and doesn't have long, intricate combos.

And Necaili is great.

Nah, the fact that he has a command grab on top of his other tools makes him busted on all levels.

MCD250

heh not that much

they just get better at it and adding in dashes and jumps
Right. And he's still gonna have his other shit like the 3f anti-air jab from hell and that ambiguous ass crossup. That's before we start getting into the stuff he has that is technically not "busted" but still places him far outside the realm of a "normal" character, like, uh, the fact that he has damn near every tool in the toolbox at his disposal. As far as "beginner" type characters go I feel like Cammy's at least a little more honest in these regards while still having the benefit of being super strong.

What happened in that Marn video? I couldn't listen to it.

He says a bunch of shit like how he got a girl to leave her old job and work for him the fired her a month later as she would go out with him. Then said she wouldn't marry him so she was out. Then said he was joking.

Also blanked out loads of stuff at the start about how he runs his business.

It was not remotely funny if he was joking and if he wasn't its fucked up.

Can someone explain to me why ryu is not good anymore. I have only really ever used him a bit but always thought he had some good stuff. Is it because they took away his non ex invinsible reversal?

HiResDes

He says a bunch of shit like how he got a girl to leave her old job and work for him the fired her a month later as she would go out with him. Then said she wouldn't marry him so she was out. Then said he was joking.

Also blanked out loads of stuff at the start about how he runs his business.

It was not remotely funny if he was joking and if he wasn't its fucked up.

Can someone explain to me why ryu is not good anymore. I have only really ever used him a bit but always thought he had some good stuff. Is it because they took away his non ex invinsible reversal?
Really stubby normals really his biggest downfall for a character who's biggest strength is usually lies in the neutral... He also has absolutely no reliable shenanigans to open people up should you decide to abandon neutral.

Really stubby normals really his biggest downfall for a character who's biggest strength is usually lies in the neutral... He also has absolutely no reliable shenanigans to open people up should you decide to abandon neutral.

Ah ok that makes sense. I guess it depends what level you play as well. He seems good at lower levels where you can get away with more as he has easy combos and good damage. His parry can catch people off guard as well as long as they dont over use it so you just empty jump him lol.

MechaX

And Necaili is great.

I think I'm going to get a feel for Necalli either tonight or tomorrow before I hop back in the grind.

I'm glad I'm motivated somewhat in SFV for now, but I just got to face the music that FFXIV's new expansion and Gundam are likely going to take up my remaining free time this summer. But eh, whatevs, let's learn this caveman dude a bit.

Top Bottom