• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo creator expected a ‘more incredible’ PSVR

Surely people won't use this as an excuse to shit all over VR in general, surely they won't rush to shitpost in this thread about how much they hate VR and how it all deserves to die because they know it's a gimmick/fad/3dtv strapped to your face and they know all this despite never trying any VR at all for themselves. Surely that won't happen in this thread...

Fisty

Hes setting the expectation, which is wise imo. As long as the presence is there and performance is good, it's all you can ask for with 1.0 hardware

VR isn't about the IQ at this point in tech, so it's not exactly surprising he was a little disappointed given he's pushing a tech showpiece game.

Another 50 years means it'll be just in time for GT7.

200w.gif

xrnzaaas

What an idiot. Do better Japanese devs. Driveclub and Dirt VR are both great VR experiences. It's not the fault of the PSVR. The PS4 just isn't powerful enough to deliver their game engine in VR.
You've made two statements that contradict each other. "Big" games can't look great in VR because it requires stable 60fps and the game must be compatible with standard PS4 as well. Oh and DCVR might be a great experience but it doesn't change the fact that the graphics are really bad.

Gestault

What an idiot. Do better Japanese devs. Driveclub and Dirt VR are both great VR experiences. It's not the fault of the PSVR. The PS4 just isn't powerful enough to deliver their game engine in VR.

I'm sure the visual compromises in Driveclub VR are exactly the sort of thing he means when he says he expected a more incredible experience in modern VR. Yamauchi is anything but an idiot, and his comments here are more nuanced than you're giving credit.

Driveclub VR is ugly.

Griss

I remember being so hyped for VR, I was counting down my days until my trip to the US where I'd be able to try it. When I did...

"After all that time, I'd hoped it would be something more incredible than it is today."

...was exactly my reaction. And then my second reaction was...

"Once we get to dual 8Ks, it'll be pretty nice," he said. ”Dual 8K and about a 200Hz refresh rate. Maybe in another 50 years?"

This guy knows what's up.

(I tried multiple games in PSVR and a couple of demos in Oculus. Never got to try Vive. Never felt 'presence' in any of my experiences.)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Glad he is saying Dual 8k cause that's insane for the overall power required for that pixel conunt. He then adds on to say 200hz which means he would want the fps at least to be near or equal of that. good luck on that ever with console. Dual 8k yes, Dual 200hz which means 400fps, that's a fucking wet dream.

Incredibly Audacious.

MaDKaT

I can't fault his commnet. The racing games I have played in VR (Vive + GTX1080) pale in comparison to their non-VR version visually. That said, I will take the lower visual fidelity without a moment of thought due to the incredible immersion. Sure, it may be like playing an old PS2 game(not really /s ) but it completely obliterates the experience of playing on a flatscreen.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
PS1 tech wasn't exactly perfect either, but you innovated and pushed the limitations to create the amazing Gean Turismo 1.

Now with VR you just throw your hands in the air and blame the tech for your inability to produce something good... while Dirt Rally shows it can be done.

Sad!

What's there doesn't bother me at all, I was honestly hoping they'd at least include it for solo time trials.

Weird it's almost like Playstation jumped the gun and released PSVR on a console that wasn't powerful enough with a terrible old piece of tech for controls

Strange

This statement is just flat out wrong. If a game is targeting 30 fps, the VR technology will literally never match whats outputting on the main screen. VR needs games catered to it's performance standards. PSVR is perfectly able to play thumper in VR for example.

Trouble with PD is they are perfectionists (or try to be) so no surprise current tech is not good enough for them but when they take forever to make a standard game, I don't expect them to deliver the best VR experience.

I just hope the standard game is decent in the end and there are plenty of great VR games if GT's VR mode is poor.

Water

Meanwhile... Project Cars in VR is bae af

Tried with Vive and a 1070, which means 45FPS+reprojection - I recall from a HardOCP review that the engine just won't scale to 90 with anything less than 1080 Ti - which made it not so impressive. But I have a feeling even at solid 90 the resolution would feel severely lacking for that game. Until resolution improves, it'd be much better for VR driving games to focus on twisting karting/drifting/rally etc courses where sightlines are short, and close distance battling where the sense of space and relative speeds you get in VR are beneficial. High speed, long visibility racetracks are the worst.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Weird it's almost like Playstation jumped the gun and released PSVR on a console that wasn't powerful enough with a terrible old piece of tech for controls

Strange
I think he is not satisfy with all forms of current vr

Still not sure if that justify the poor vr implementation in GRan turismo though as i pointed out that DiRT Rally and driveclub has better vr implementation

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Trouble with PD is they are perfectionists (or try to be) so no surprise current tech is not good enough for them but when they take forever to make a standard game, I don't expect them to deliver the best VR experience.

I just hope the standard game is decent in the end and there are plenty of great VR games if GT's VR mode is poor.

PD could do it said:
PS1 tech wasn't exactly perfect either, but you innovated and pushed the limitations to create the amazing Gean Turismo 1.

Now with VR you just throw your hands in the air and blame the tech for your inability to produce something good... while Dirt Rally shows it can be done.

Sad!

^

I mean, of course it's going to be lackluster on the PS4. VR is extremely demanding, and the PS4 isn't anywhere near powerful enough to handle it above pathetically low resolutions.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Its crazy to think one day we will look at 4k like we do 480p now, absolutely disgusting. The "lowerer than low" quality setting.

I look forward to such a day.

JordanN

Banned
The point of VR is not to impress you with graphics, it's to put the player directly inside of the game.

I think the fact we now have actual VR headsets to compliment ordinary gaming systems is a big enough achievement as it is.

I would play Gran Turismo 1 or 2 in VR and I would forget about the graphics. A low poly racer sounds more fun than just making a racing game with bleeding heart graphics.

Real cars already exist for that.

Its crazy to think one day we will look at 4k like we do 480p now, absolutely disgusting. The "lowerer than low" quality setting.

I look forward to such a day.

For Vr headsets? Maybe. For everyday monitors? Nah.It's like how we made the jump form VHS to DVD to blu ray. The first jump was huge, the latter isn't necessarily as ugly to look at today.

Jokes on first page just weren't that great.

I think his idea is fair in some ways but if screens can get cheaper the power for 8k will be here soon enough at a good price.

The fact that a downgrade on visual fidelity is needed to run games on VR is what's putting me off current VR, but tech advances really fast so in time it'll be great

JordanN

Banned
The fact that a downgrade on visual fidelity is needed to enjoy VR on console games is what's putting me off current VR, but tech advances really fast so in time it'll be great

A lot of downgrade talk is hyperbole.

At worst, VR games are competing in the late gen PS3 era visuals. But that's an ok tradeoff when gameplay in VR is ahead of anything else.

Gestault

A lot of downgrade talk is hyperbole.

At worst, VR games are competing in the late gen PS3 era visuals. But that's an ok tradeoff when gameplay in VR is ahead of anything else.

You think the...difference in visuals between standard and VR versions of games being called a downgrade is hyperbole? I guess I'd have to disagree. We have pretty blunt examples for games that were designed and optimized as separate experiences. The big ones that were definitely given real attention for both iterations that I've experienced are RE7 and Driveclub VR. Calling either a downgrade (visually) is fair, in my book.

The point of VR is not to impress you with graphics, it's to put the player directly inside of the game.

Graphical fidelity, animations etc all play a pretty large role in immersion. We do need more power and tech to help push more pixels and higher framerates with better tracking systems to facilitate that. Locomotion is also one of the biggest issues.

Considering VR needs a minimum 60fps AT ALL TIMES I'm not sure polyphony digital has the technical pedagree to pull it off.

Disappointed in their half assed attempt.

JordanN

Banned
Graphical fidelity, animations etc all play a pretty large role in immersion. We do need more power and tech to help push more pixels and higher framerates with better tracking systems to facilitate that. Locomotion is also one of the biggest issues.

Watch this guy's reaction to playing South Park in VR.
https://youtu.be/KoNLy1QqBNg?t=38

Very few people I've seen who get excited by VR wasn't by the visuals themselves but the interaction. South Park is an example where's it's technically and artistically simple, but none of that matters because you are already immersed by being in that show's world.

A good artstyle is sufficient to creating a VR game right now. Of course, more power can always be used to create more bigger worlds which also affects immersion, but I feel like this puts us back into the same AAA trap we see now with non VR games.

All the focus on pretty graphics, but that also means less unique experiences.

bomblord1

Banned
I'll settle for 4k 90hz. 90fps has never remotely been an issue in any VR game. Low resolution is though. Give me 4k per eye and foveated rendering and we'll be golden. Best part is it's 100% doable with today's tech.

I think he's talking about VR in general not just PSVR. But yeah it's a bizarre comment to be making when you should be trying to sell your VR game.

TrueOutlook

Neo Member
For this generation of PSVR I think he's right, and the same applies to the Vive and Rift to a lesser extent.

But considering what the current PS4 is capable of, I think what we got was appropriate as it probably couldn't handle a higher resolution. Maybe the PS5 will be able to perform a bit better with the PSVR2 (if it even gets a sequel). If it can confidently handle 4K 30fps then getting 1440p 60fps shouldn't be that difficult.

hollomat

Banned
lol. He can talk shit about other stuff when he releases a decent game on time. Forza has eaten Gran Turismos lunch due to their shitty release schedule.

groansey

He is right, the image quality in every VR headset is atrocious... And PSVR is the worst.

Am I supposed to think the graphics in the Batman Arkham game on PSVR were terrible?

Because I thought they were fucking mind-blowing when I tried it last month. My bad.

Top Bottom