• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S4 |OT| Think Fast

How the fuck the samurai out ran him for so long?

I know we give the show and Barry shit for alot of stuff (I did earlier), but this one is easily explainable:

Iris is his tether and he will not do anything to endanger Iris. Sure he's fast but he still can't fly. The unexcusable part is when they were still in the city, and that I can't give an explanation or defend Barry's speed right there.

Sandfox

I know we give the show and Barry shit for alot of stuff (I did earlier), but this one is easily explainable:

Iris is his tether and he will not do anything to endanger Iris. Sure he's fast but he still can't fly. The unexcusable part is when they were still in the city, and that I can't give an explanation or defend Barry's speed right there.

The worst part is that the rest of the team was commenting on how Barry was moving faster than any other speedster ever has.

KonradLaw

Lol...that broken mind bit sure went away quickly and effortlessly :D Pretty lame.
Still decently optimistic. I like the villain not being the speedster and the promos look like full of humor and lightness that Flash desperately needs

Patryn

After sleeping on it, I found it a very underwhelming episode. I really wish they had taken more time to explore the new status quo. Maybe take the chance to really let Wally shine for a while.

Instead, it seemed to be hellbent to restore the classic status quo as fast as possible. Yes, Caitlin has the whole Jekyll/Hyde thing, but her estrangement from the team is resolved in one quick conversation.

We just see Cisco and Wally mostly get clowned on instead of seeing them succeed, which honestly feels like a poor attempt to build Barry up by showing how he's so much better.

Then there's the aforementioned thing where Barry's supposed to be faster than he's ever been, but he can barely catch this flying Samurai robot.

I also still think Iris works best when she's being her own character and not just Barry's SO. Then again, I'm one of the few who still thinks the whole relationship is weird given their sort-of familial relationship.

This first episode back suffered from the same problems of the season 3 premiere.

Like Flashpoint, Barry being in the speed force and having his mind fucked up should have at least been two episodes.

I had to go back and watch the part where he snaps out of it again because I wasn’t even sure what happened.

I was like, “wait, that’s it?”

Sir Doom

That's it that's how Barry snaps back. Lazy writing. I really hope there's more to it

They step up the FX even pn daytime now.

caliph95

Eh it's not trash

Alright

How long is the Caitlin secret is going to last because this feels like a retread and I didn't care for it before

Episode 1 and still managed to fall into the same pacing as nearly every season. Barry coming back should’ve been at least a 2 parter. And stop shitting on Wally, damnit.

LotusHD

Banned
snowfallfhs10.gif

When I first saw this pic, I was far away, and thought it was Sara for a second lmao

snowfallfhs10.gif

When I first saw this pic, I was far away, and thought it was Sara for a second lmao

The close up of her ass was pretty funny. yeah we get it, she's sexy Caitlin now.

Bad CG aside, it was an ok opener. At least it was interesting, I lost interest in Supergirl half way through on Monday.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
This first episode back suffered from the same problems of the season 3 premiere.

Like Flashpoint, Barry being in the speed force and having his mind fucked up should have at least been two episodes.

I had to go back and watch the part where he snaps out of it again because I wasn't even sure what happened.

I was like, ”wait, that's it?"

Yeah, I really don't know why they don't drag out the actual interesting plots, and why they instead insist on resolving them in under 20 minutes only to proceed to give us filler for 19 of the next 23 episodes.

Blows my mind. Flashpoint, crazy Barry -- these are all great premises for several episodes -- hell, an entire season maybe. Instead, these are hastily resolved so we can make room for gorillas, sharks, and regular ass banditos landing a punch on our super stud speedster every other episode.

Had high hopes for this tv show after season 1 and was excited to see some of the more badass comic stories come to life, but it's just been disappointment after disappointment after that initial season wrapped. Think I'm actually out this time. Hopefully they regain footing at some point in the future ala Arrow season 5, but I'm not holding my breath.

facepalm.gif

This shows use of super speed continues to make me confused. How is a robot at normal speed keeping up with Wally? Why would Wally be in danger of getting shot by a regular gun? I have a a feeling most of this seasons is gonna be most of this even though Barry is faster than ever.

Nor501

I really liked the premiere but I feel like I enjoyed Supergirl more. It felt more consistent and I enjoyed the darker Kara. And it doesn't help that the preview for next week's Flash didn't impress me. And I feel like they could have made improvements like having Harry or Jay Garrick there, maybe not completely wiping Barry's memory of his time in the Speedforce, and maybe not making The Thinker look like Ivan Ooze.

caliph95

This shows use of super speed continues to make me confused. How is a robot at normal speed keeping up with Wally? Why would Wally be in danger of getting shot by a regular gun? I have a a feeling most of this seasons is gonna be most of this even though Barry is faster than ever.
I tried to handwaving it as the robot being able to predict his movements with it's brain being a computer and being able to withstand speed punches

Penguin

I feel like I am sometimes the only one having fun with this show :

I enjoyed the premiere as well

And really don't think it's the end of the Speedforce or Barry's craziness.

It seems like he was seeing his entire life all at once so imagine the writing will come back into play.

What was event the point in him going inside the speedforce? What a bunch of bullshit.

It's a CW DC tradition dating back to Smallville - end on a cliffhanger that most of the time is bullshit. Arrow avoided it until this season, but every other season of every DC show has done it.

Makonero

I feel like I am sometimes the only one having fun with this show :

I definitely had fun with it, but the tonal whiplash between crazy Barry and too-pleasant enlightened Reborn Jesus Barry was a bit much for me to handle. I watch these with my Uncle and he genuinely thinks that it's not Barry that came back because he was acting weird at the end.

It felt rushed and sloppy, but I still enjoyed individual parts of it.

Dispatch

The premiere was more than just underwhelming. It was disappointing.

I didn't believe Iris's lack of interest in rescuing Barry.
I thought Grant Gustin's "crazy talk" was less convincing than most of the rest of his acting. He is excellent with romance and loss, but I never once thought he was actually crazy.

Season One was the best season not because of the lighter tone, but because of the tension from Harrison Wells. When he got out of his wheelchair, you knew something interesting was going to happen. Now, there's no tension, and, like others have said, there hasn't been much tension since the Zoom identity reveal.

I'll keep watching with the hopes of an Arrow-like bounce back, because I love the character and I used to love the show.

SeanC

Premiere was a flatline for me. I'm interested in where they'll go with the bigger story, but the first episode I had a hard time getting invested in.

I felt literally "nothing" when Barry came around and returned to being The Flash, and that's really telling. For starters, it was badly written. They did this last year too, where there's a big cliffhanger at the end of the previous season but the premiere gets everything resolved. There's no sense of stakes or risk. The character learned nothing. It all just works out.

Give Barry more conflict, then you might have something that could last you a few episodes. Hell, take a big risk and don't even have him for the first two episodes and the team has to figure it out without him and how to get him back.

The second was that we've seen this plot before. The fact that Iris just "knew" Barry would come around is proof of that, and the fact they still went ahead with that show no sense of tension or anticipation that it might not work out. We already know they aren't going to kill Iris, but give us some sort of wrinkle please.

Here's the thing, at least we KNOW that Barry being all messed up in the head WILL come back. There is no way they invested in him writing in space language and all that just to never come back to it. Cisco couldn't decode it, but maybe The Thinker can?

SeanC

Here's the thing, at least we KNOW that Barry being all messed up in the head WILL come back. There is no way they invested in him writing in space language and all that just to never come back to it. Cisco couldn't decode it, but maybe The Thinker can?

I have a feeling it's going to be an episode down the road and they'll see symbols, then Barry will say "I've seen these before" and Cisco will vibe, figure out the meaning, and then back and the mystery is solved.

Barry is far from messed up. If he was, they would have ended on that beat in the premiere. Instead they show Kaitlin is still messed up, which is good, but our investment in the potential plight of Barry is gone. I wish he was haunted or messed up in some way, but they can't have the lead "not all there" for an extended period of time.

If I remember correctly I think they said somewhere that we wont get to know what exactly happened aside from small things and it will be here and there. Also people keep saying why put him in the speedforce in the first place. I think it was just a way where they can rewrite the character, I mean at least he said his parents death and all his failures are behind him now and he can move past it.

caliph95

If I remember correctly I think they said somewhere that we wont get to know what exactly happened aside from small things and it will be here and there. Also people keep saying why put him in the speedforce in the first place. I think it was just a way where they can rewrite the character, I mean at least he said his parents death and all his failures are behind him now and he can move past it.
Creators did say they are going back to more "comic" Barry and are course correction so that's probably the real reason

Top Bottom