• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2012

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Kinda sorry now I didn't go for Mudds over Sakura Samurai. Don't get me wrong, it's decent, but it lacks that Nintendo touch I was expecting. All the surface Nintendo-isms are there, but there's no real magic. It's pretty dang repetitive, even for a $7 game. And though I enjoy certain games that are repetitive (like Samurai Warriors), there's very little to work toward here, giving you incentive to play through all those battles.
Boy, am I glad Europe has been spared from such dilemmas.

Let me blow your mind ever more. There is no Donkey Kong 1 (either arcade or nes version) game in any VC
The NES version was one of the first batch of Wii VC titles available in all regions, in all its one-stage-missing glory. You are right about the arcade one, though. What the hell is VC Arcade for if we can't get this and CPS1/2 games?

zigg

Kinda sorry now I didn't go for Mudds over Sakura Samurai. Don't get me wrong, it's decent, but it lacks that Nintendo touch I was expecting. All the surface Nintendo-isms are there, but there's no real magic. It's pretty dang repetitive, even for a $7 game. And though I enjoy certain games that are repetitive (like Samurai Warriors), there's very little to work toward here, giving you incentive to play through all those battles.
I'm just the opposite; I find Sakura Samurai more engaging. It might be because I've only realistically been able to grab half-hour snatches of time here and there though, so I don't really get bored with it.

GeekyDad

I'm just the opposite; I find Sakura Samurai more engaging. It might be because I've only realistically been able to grab half-hour snatches of time here and there though, so I don't really get bored with it.

Yeah, same here. I haven't really invested large chunks of time into it, but it seems like it lacks that spark that keeps you coming back. Take Samurai Warriors, for instance. Though you're button mashing and doing pretty much a lot of the same things, you're constantly nabbing new gear, unlocking new characters and such. I wasn't expecting that type of gameplay here, but the grind should come with more reward, I think. Still a quaint, little game. I love the motif, and I'm gonna finish it in hopes that there's more buried under there somewhere.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sorry, you're wrong. Here are words from the keyboard of Terry Cavanagh:

"Nicalis still need to submit it to Nintendo Europe, whenever they get the PEGI rating. Could be a month, or more. Sorry :("

Edit: And from a ScrewAttack article:

"Nicalis, Inc. also mentioned in another Twitter post that VVVVVV and the DSiWare version of Cave Story are ready for a European release, but PEGI (Pan European Game Information) is delaying the games' release in that region."

Do you really think it's a coincidence that every one of Nicalis' releases takes a ridiculously long time to receive a rating, far in excess of those released by other companies, indie or non-indie? These games aren't just sitting on some pile waiting to be looked at - PEGI rejects them, repeatedly, because Nicalis keeps failing the submission process. Cave Story DSiWare failed as recently as December '11. PEGI can drag their heels sometimes, sure, but if Nicalis still can't follow protocol after all this time then whose fault is that?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Tweeted just now. VVVVVV finally PEGI approved.

hNDM2.png

tsab

The NES version was one of the first batch of Wii VC titles available in all regions, in all its one-stage-missing glory. You are right about the arcade one, though. What the hell is VC Arcade for if we can't get this and CPS1/2 games?

I stand corrected then :p
CPS1/2 would be godsent. Maybe fridge problem?
Hopefully will see them on WiiU VC

Edit:

Tweeted just now. VVVVVV finally PEGI approved.

hNDM2.png

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M3d10n

I wish Nintendo would consider abandoning the external ratings companies for their DD stuff - save devs money and hassle, and speed up releases globally.

Except PEGI is legally enforced in a few countries. Whether it applies to digital-only games is not well defined, but if stronger enforcement ever comes to pass they don't have to deal with the fallout of having to suddenly rate hundreds/thousands of games all at once.

Also, the built-in parental controls would be (even more) useless without ratings or using a custom rating that has nothing to do with the one used by retail.

OMG Aero

Does the update feature in the eShop even work? In settings? Always seems blank then you need to update through your download history.

Has there been an update yet that actually did anything? The only one I can think of is Pokedex 3D and that was updated through the app itself.

If not, maybe the update option in settings is only going to be used for substantial updates instead of these minor ones that don't seem to do anything.

So... is Nintendo Video useless if you're not in USA/Canada?

How would one know unless one had a 3DS from both regions and thus could compare the two services?

I enjoyed the series of desert cartoons very much and the Skyward Sword soundtrack recordings. Most of the other content has been easily skippable for me.

Does the update feature in the eShop even work? In settings? Always seems blank then you need to update through your download history.

I've never got it to work but sometimes I will go into the list of downloads and there will be an update button there.

Javier

Tried the Nintendo Zone trick and it worked. The cool part is that the current Nintendo Video movies are also available on Nintendo Zone, so non-US/Canada residents can watch them that way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Been playing some Sakura Samurai. What an odd design. It has some Dark Souls-level penalties for failure (lose all of your precision points if hit; can't restart at bosses) but then they throw bonus rounds at you when you die... what.

Game really feels like it needs a gear progression system (besides simply sword strength).

I'd say it's solidly better than Mighty Switch Force but not anywhere the level of Pushmo.

StayDead

Anyone know when the Japanese eShop usually updates? As in a estimate in hours form now? I'm kind of hoping to pick up Denpa Ningen and Kid Icarus GB as soon as possible. ^^

Burgertime looks pretty cool to me. Review of Xbox version

I do not recommend this game. I did not find it good. I did not find it close to Burger Time. I most recently played Burger Time on an arcade cabinet about 2.5 years ago. If you are considering this game, please try a demo on a service that has a demo available.

Err, I don't think releasing a game that sticks too closely to the original's formula would be a very good idea, it's way too simple and the difficulty is downright unfair. The new one looks like it keeps the original's defining elements (building burgers while avoiding burger-themed enemies) while giving the gameplay a much-needed overhaul.

Denpa Ningen and Kid Icarus: OM&M are up on the Japanese eShop.

Looks like next week's VC game for Japan is Kirby's Dream Land 2.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I do not recommend this game. I did not find it good. I did not find it close to Burger Time. I most recently played Burger Time on an arcade cabinet about 2.5 years ago. If you are considering this game, please try a demo on a service that has a demo available.

I never liked Burgertime, so I wasn't planning on getting it anyway -- but now I'm curious as to how much it resembles the original.

I was only passing the news, I have played the demo on XBLA and it indeed terrible.

The Game Boy version on 3DS Virtual Console, however, is probably the best version of the game there is (sans color, naturally).

zigg

Been playing some Sakura Samurai. What an odd design. It has some Dark Souls-level penalties for failure (lose all of your precision points if hit; can't restart at bosses) but then they throw bonus rounds at you when you die... what.
I'm pretty sure the "bonus rounds" are part of Nintendo's "sorry you suck; here, have a massive powerup" thing.

When I die, I've been quitting and reloading from the title screen. Avoids it nicely.

Game really feels like it needs a gear progression system (besides simply sword strength).

I'd say it's solidly better than Mighty Switch Force but not anywhere the level of Pushmo.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I like Sakura Samurai and while it's fairly developed for a downloadable title, I'd love to see an even more fleshed-out follow-up.

Really happy with the eShop lately, I hope they can maintain that momentum this Thursday but I guess there's not much in the pipeline at this point.

That's great. I need more indie games on the eShop.

Also, Tyrone says in the video that they're working on a level editor for VVVVVV but they want people to write in and show some kind of support for it. I guess they want to know that people are going to actually use it so that they aren't wasting their time finishing it. Also, something about sharing VVVVVV levels through QR codes?

Not that I don't already have more things to play than time atm, but I bet after all the wait VVVVVV hits the Euro/NZ store the same week as Sakura Samurai does so I'm split what to play!

At least I didn't bother trying to get Cave Story 3D of eBay in the end, prices are stupid so it put me off.

Top Bottom