• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Aenima

Was only on my third Atlas Interface.

Found it, but couldn't interact with the panel.

That happened everytime i visited a random atas stantion and not the atlas station marked on the galaxy map. For the quest line u need to visit the specific atlas station for it to proceed. Dunno if the bug u getting is this one. So try go in ur galaxy map and see the red line that points to a atlas station and just visit that one to proceed with the quest.

If they changed any files, they changed them with exactly the same size files, because the game file hasn't changed. It's remained unchanged since 1.3.

Hey, I'm just going by the patch notes:
Code:
- Added and improved audio at the ending of the Atlas path
- Added and improved audio for terrain editing
- Improved audio for missions

Mindlog

Get free multitool that's slightly better than mine as a mission reward. All the slots are broken. Very unlikely that I'll ever replace my multitool because even if I find another with max slots and even if all those slots are functional then moving all that tech is still really expensive.

Question: When you destroy your exocraft pads does it make sense to tear apart their upgrades as well or will they transfer automatically if I ever rebuld them at a new base?

Get free multitool that's slightly better than mine as a mission reward. All the slots are broken. Very unlikely that I'll ever replace my multitool because even if I find another with max slots and even if all those slots are functional then moving all that tech is still really expensive.

Question: When you destroy your exocraft pads does it make sense to tear apart their upgrades as well or will they transfer automatically if I ever rebuld them at a new base?

One answer (and then others can weigh in) because I've had these separate experiences:

-When manually deconstructing, I got all materials back
-When doing the move your base thing where it deconstructs your stuff to materials, I only got three voltaic cells back (not 6) for my 3 pads.
-Per another gaffer previously who said this would work, I tried to build a pad on a new planet to use the vehicle and then deconstruct to get mats back. I got zero mats back when I deconstructed.

Idk.

wwm0nkey

Basically if you spam right on the d-pad while flying around a planet your target system can pick up crashed ships like any other ship. Then you don't have to go through the hassle of finding a transmission tower, solving the puzzle then locating a ship in that fashion.

You can target ships ("use your targeting computer!") with left-right on the D-pad, and while cruising in-atmosphere this included crashed ships. So you can jaunt around the surface of the planet essentially scanning for them.

Note that any given crashed ship is not necessarily a slot upgrade, a higher tier, a good investment in terms of repairs or even any one of the above, but they often will be and you can at least check them out if you're in the market for a new one but don't want to drop the chunk of change to buy one outright.

Know what I am doing today

Aenima

Are class S weapons new to the game? Just found a Class S riffle as a reward from a Monolith.

jlaGjBe.png

Finally got my first exocraft. Thing is awesome fun, and can already feel that it's going to add a lot to my overall exploration which is crazy considering I've been wandering on foot or through sky for over a hundred hours prior. I'm quite excited at how much this is going to change up my gameplay, from seeing if the terrain of new planets is suitable, to gathering resources and then roaming around. Oh and the extra space.

Some pics:

Also, little NoMan'sGAF secret but after about five minutes of driving around I fell straight down into a pit that was filled with water, with domed edges at the entrance. Tried for a good fifteen minutes getting out before I gave up and just recalled the thing. Left a comm station saying "CAUTION: Buggy Death Pit Ahead".

Aenima

The ๖ۜBronx;246736524 said:
Finally got my first exocraft. Thing is awesome fun, and can already feel that it's going to add a lot to my overall exploration which is crazy considering I've been wandering on foot or through sky for over a hundred hours prior. I'm quite excited at how much this is going to change up my gameplay, from seeing if the terrain of new planets is suitable, to gathering resources and then roaming around. Oh and the extra space.

The Roamer Exocraft is excelent. Once you install the radar and upgrade the radar to the maximum you can use it to scan specific things, like scan for monoliths, drop pods, ruins, resorce deposits, etc.

When i had to upgrade my exosuit for the new slots i just jumped into my roamer and just scanned for drop pods and in a day i got it upgreaded to the maximum, i also love just ride on it. Reason i chosed a planet with alot open space and not too many animals. As my old planet i was always bumping into trees and running over animals :D

You can also use ur exocrafts in any other planets, but u need to build the exocraft thing to summon it. So i dont use it, but if u want to stay long time in a extreme weather planet to gather resorces, its a nice option.

The Roamer Exocraft is excelent. Once you install the radar and upgrade the radar to the maximum you can use it to scan specific things, like scan for monoliths, drop pods, ruins, resource deposits, etc.

Oh wow. I had no idea, that's even better than I thought, thanks for the tip. I'll get to building it right away. That's going to be so awesome when exploring new planets. This game.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow, my feelings in the game really can turn on a sixpence.

After struggling a little bit, having to grind to get warp materials to little end and getting dead or airless planets, things pick up. The last system I had before this one had zilch aside from a dead planet with a very close Jungle moon.

The next jump gets me blueprints for the Atlas Pass V1. That leads to a pretty toxic planet, but full of life and points of interest. I find a small area with bits needing the newly acquired Atlas Pass and look, enough materials for 4 warp cells. Jackpot!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are class S weapons new to the game? Just found a Class S riffle as a reward from a Monolith.
They are new yes. Damn, nice find!
Wow, my feelings in the game really can turn on a sixpence.

After struggling a little bit, having to grind to get warp materials to little end and getting dead or airless planets, things pick up. The last system I had before this one had zilch aside from a dead planet with a very close Jungle moon.

The next jump gets me blueprints for the Atlas Pass V1. That leads to a pretty toxic planet, but full of life and points of interest. I find a small area with bits needing the newly acquired Atlas Pass and look, enough materials for 4 warp cells. Jackpot!
Those canisters that require the Atlas Pass can be found on any planet (scattered around outposts which can be sought in a variety of ways) and are guaranteed to have warp-fuel related materials of some kind.

The ๖ۜBronx;246737600 said:
Oh wow. I had no idea, that's even better than I thought, thanks for the tip. I'll get to building it right away. That's going to be so awesome when exploring new planets. This game.

The exocraft base missions should direct you to build all the upgrades (I just burned through them last night). And if you like the space of the Roamer, wait until you get the Colossus. :)

btw, protip on your stuck buggy: driving against the wall and using boost will usually get you out of pits an caves. you may have to blow up overhangs with your grenade launcher, but you can usually even get out of a straight vertical with the exocrafts.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
They are new yes. Damn, nice find!

Those canisters that require the Atlas Pass can be found on any planet (scattered around outposts which can be sought in a variety of ways) and are guaranteed to have warp-fuel related materials of some kind.
Thanks.

It was honestly only the second time I've seen the canisters and the first that I could open the locked ones.

I'll be keeping a close eye out from now on for them.

A question about bases: when should/can I start working on one? Can I just start on the base stuff anytime I want, or do I need to wait to progress the story to a particular point or until I get particular blueprints? I did notice the signal booster has the option to find habitable bases, and when I tried it it lead me to what seemed to be a base I could claim. It wasn't on a planet I liked though so didn't want to try setting it as my home base then.

I'm not very far in, just heading towards the second Atlas Interface now and was just contacted by Artemis for the first time. Got a fairly nice shuttle with about 24 slots, though I don't like the cockpit so hope to upgrade it sometime soonish. Was stuck with the starting multitool for a while but when I found my first anomaly and met Nada and Polo there was a 15 slot rifle multitool (with scanner bonus rather than mining as I'd prefer) I was just barely able to afford so that was nice.

A question about bases: when should/can I start working on one? Can I just start on the base stuff anytime I want, or do I need to wait to progress the story to a particular point or until I get particular blueprints? I did notice the signal booster has the option to find habitable bases, and when I tried it it lead me to what seemed to be a base I could claim. It wasn't on a planet I liked though so didn't want to try setting it as my home base then.

I'm not very far in, just heading towards the second Atlas Interface now and was just contacted by Artemis for the first time. Got a fairly nice shuttle with about 24 slots, though I don't like the cockpit so hope to upgrade it sometime soonish. Was stuck with the starting multitool for a while but when I found my first anomaly and met Nada and Polo there was a 15 slot rifle multitool (with scanner bonus rather than mining as I'd prefer) I was just barely able to afford so that was nice.

Yup, can do the base thing whenever you want, exactly how you were about to do it.

You can start one now if you want. Even if you don't want to start the missions now, claiming one at least gives you the teleporter which you can use to jump to four systems of your choosing, which is really nice since you don't have to burn a warp cell. Also, the base quests also give you some non-base rewards like weapon blueprints and being able to build the exocrafts.

I recommend building a base if for no other reason than to gain access to the storage containers. They let you dump a lot of extra resources you don't currently need instead of carrying it around with you.

Goroh

So i never built a farm, are you supposed to make biodomes or big rooms of hydroponics? Is there any difference apart from fuel usage?

Anyone else has this annoying thing where the cursor moves by itself in the menus when you let go of it? (PC, Steam Controller, works correctly on foot / plane)

Guppeth

I activated a monolith and found a portal, and as I only know one glyph I just spammed it to fill the coordinate field.

It gave an error and sent me to a random place. I guess it's not that random though...

That orb on top of the portal is another player. I saw a couple more whizzing around. And dozens of players had left messages everywhere. Mostly shit memes. :D

Sarcasm

So I am still trying to find a desert and toxic planet, haven't found either.

My question is for the desert planet, it will say below it in results: Cactus Flesh

While the toxic should say: fungal mould

Right? This is getting hard as I get attacked everywhere now lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So i never built a farm, are you supposed to make biodomes or big rooms of hydroponics? Is there any difference apart from fuel usage?
Bio-domes don't use fuel at all, so that's the huge perk with them. It probably makes most sense to start with hydroponics and then transition to domes as you build up the materials necessary to construct them. Not having to do all the stuff with fuel is pretty great.

You can start one now if you want. Even if you don't want to start the missions now, claiming one at least gives you the teleporter which you can use to jump to four systems of your choosing, which is really nice since you don't have to burn a warp cell. Also, the base quests also give you some non-base rewards like weapon blueprints and being able to build the exocrafts.

I recommend building a base if for no other reason than to gain access to the storage containers. They let you dump a lot of extra resources you don't currently need instead of carrying it around with you.
Base missions give you at least two blueprints needed for acquiring higher level minerals/resources, so those are very beneficial beyond the base itself, too.

So I am still trying to find a desert and toxic planet, haven't found either.

My question is for the desert planet, it will say below it in results: Cactus Flesh

While the toxic should say: fungal mould

Right? This is getting hard as I get attacked everywhere now lol

Not all deserts / toxic planets are guaranteed to have Cacti/Fungi respectively. Always scan from space; they will show up on the resource scan if the planet has them. And yes, they will read as "Cactus Flesh" and "Fungal Mould" on the resource scan.

Shaneus

Can anyone tell me what the giant Stargate-looking things are for? Found a few on one planet, but there's no pop-ups or other info about them :/

Bio-domes don't use fuel at all, so that's the huge perk with them. It probably makes most sense to start with hydroponics and then transition to domes as you build up the materials necessary to construct them. Not having to do all the stuff with fuel is pretty great.

Base missions give you at least two blueprints needed for acquiring higher level minerals/resources, so those are very beneficial beyond the base itself, too.

Yeah, wanting to get the advanced mining laser upgrade so I can mine titanium and the blue crystal silicate (C-something), and read I need a base to get it. I'm gonna be on the lookout for a planet I like to settle on! Hopefully one with emeril or gold deposits cause gold mining has by far been the best way for me to make money so far.

Can anyone tell me what the giant Stargate-looking things are for? Found a few on one planet, but there's no pop-ups or other info about them :/

Do you mean the Spoilers if you haven't found any of the new biome planets:
Circular terminal looking things? If so there should be a place where you can interact with them for some cool lore. I really enjoyed the whole story on these terminals.
Other than that I don't think they have a purpose yet.

Steam only downloaded a small update for me. I had previously installed and uninstalled the Experimental Branch...

I'll update my mod guide when I'm sure I have the latest update and most of the mods are compatible.

MaKTaiL

i swear to god if the big red planet isn't Yavin with your moon being Yavin 4, i will report your steam account

:p

Is Yavin a barren planet (No fauna, no flora, no atmosphere)? If so then I might have found the same planet you did, but on PS4 :)

neoism

😑😞 my farmers quest is still fucked up im stuck on the frost plant which i got in the foundation update... ...

😑

Mindlog

Are the equipment and ship rating determined by their base stats or based on installed upgrades?

I have yet to encounter anything over a B rating.
Rating is completely independent of slots and installed upgrades. The rating only reflects bonus stats. The odds of seeing a certain rating is influenced by system wealth.
I would skip trays and stick to domes. Far less maintenance. Plant everything you can outside. Also put your vaults in your freighter if you have one.

I'm finally about to tear my base down. The conversion process has begun and my Fungal Mold field is starting to mature. Goodbye Base. You served me well. Max complexity so the tower is coming down and all my vaults are moving to the freighter. Rebuilding the domes on the ground or 1 floor up for max planting space.
Off to market. Was stuffing this freighter with goods harvested from that base. This is only Pearls and Orbs. Glass is in my personal cargo and Nip Nip buds are on a different ship.
I still have to figure out which economy buys each good at the best price.

Bonus shot from the trading post. AI coming in hot!

Ravidrath

That happened everytime i visited a random atas stantion and not the atlas station marked on the galaxy map. For the quest line u need to visit the specific atlas station for it to proceed. Dunno if the bug u getting is this one. So try go in ur galaxy map and see the red line that points to a atlas station and just visit that one to proceed with the quest.

The Atlas Path navigation filter just says "No Atlas Stations."

Started heading coreward in hopes that I'd run into Polo and Nada and get pointed in the right direction, but no luck.

I find free explore useless now. I used to be able to use it to travel straight towards the galactic core to maximize my warp distance, but now all I can do is move from one star to another and as a result I can't go nearly as far. Am I missing something?

another update on the Reddit farming stuff.

Timed three runs tonight. 24, 28 and 40 minutes for round trip. Part that sucks is the stuff takes 30 minutes to regrow, otherwise I could probably be shaving off a bit here and there.

Long story short, I'm netting roughly 30M an hour. Pretty happy with that.

I find free explore useless now. I used to be able to use it to travel straight towards the galactic core to maximize my warp distance, but now all I can do is move from one star to another and as a result I can't go nearly as far. Am I missing something?

Yep, people have been having some issues with figuring this out, it's not really explained ingame:

You select/deselect star systems with cross/circle or left/right click on PC. If you have a star system selected and a Destination type (like an Atlas Station), you can move the right stick towards that Destination type's line which shows the next closest jump (so a red line for Atlas Stations, blue for a custom waypoint, yellow for the route to the galactic center and just white for free exploration). You can't do this with M+KB controls.

The easier way (for me at least) is to just deselect the star system and you basically enter a free camera mode, move and look around and ascend/descend with L2/R2, or just use M+KB on PC (ascend/descend is Space and CTRL).

If you want to go to a specific, previously visited system, the only reasonable way is to go to your Discoveries screen, hover over a discovered star system and set a waypoint (which is the blue Destination type on the galactic map).

I am confused by this base building mission

- it tells me i need voltaic cells and i can use cave marrow to craft them (which i have been harvesting)
- when i look at my crafting inventory i see no voltaic cell recipe

is that a bug ?

Top Bottom