• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

Here's mine.

TheSixthAxis - 5/10

Agents of Mayhem is a step back for Volition after the success of the Saints Row series. While the characters are good and fun, they don’t feel larger than life when compared to The Boss and their crew. There aren’t as many memorable moments either, and the city of Seoul is wasted. The game is less Agents of Mayhem and more Agents of Mehhem.

It had so much potential but the mission structure became so repetitive with almost the same dungeon structure each time. Took me approx 17 hours to get through. That includes completing campaign and doing side operations as well as the different open world stuff.

So I watched acgs review. And I think he meant to give it a rent/deep deep sale for pc but after watching the end 3 times he doesn't actually say. It could be a never touch again but I'm honestly not sure. I know Karak was in the thread earlier maybe he can elaborate a bit?

Karak

So I watched acgs review. And I think he meant to give it a rent/deep deep sale for pc but after watching the end 3 times he doesn't actually say. It could be a never touch again but I'm honestly not sure. I know Karak was in the thread earlier maybe he can elaborate a bit?

I had to put that in the first comment in the review and pinned it, it is indeed a Wait for deep deep sale as my above comment states. Thanks!

I had to put that in the first comment in the review and pinned it, it is indeed a Wait for deep deep sale as my above comment states. Thanks!

Ah ok. I watched it on my xb1 and I'm not even sure I can see comments from there. Another great review! I just read Kotakus review and this feels like one of those games where it's going to be all over the place. 8s or 4s. Kind of the way dynasty warriors is. People who love it seem to really enjoy and and those who don't, really really don't.

Bombless

Rated it a Wait for a Deep Sale for ACG
Summary
Performance issues on all systems, boring after a couple hours. Just falls apart. Maybe good for a couple hours at most. Anything after that and its easily replaced by hundreds of better options.

Pros
Agents Design, effects, basic gunplay, sound
Cons
Music, Voice, Writing, Gameplay longevity, MMO stylings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzI4JhqsFt0

It's saddening to hear the music is a con in this game given how awesome the music integration into the gameplay was in SR3 & 4.

Time to sleep now, will post my first impressions later tonight!

Karak

Ah ok. I watched it on my xb1 and I'm not even sure I can see comments from there. Another great review! I just read Kotakus review and this feels like one of those games where it's going to be all over the place. 8s or 4s. Kind of the way dynasty warriors is. People who love it seem to really enjoy and and those who don't, really really don't.

Agreed bound to happen. Some folks like Ravens Cry

Thanks beforehand for any replies... I had no idea about this game but some reason my initial impression sounds like Saints Row x Insominac's Fuse x Invisibile Inc art/theme style haha ...

But it's the 'is it similar to Ghost Recon Wildlands/Shadows of Mordor world' in any way that I'm curious about...
Rated it a Wait for a Deep Sale for ACG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzI4JhqsFt0
I was watching the segment about the base design.. is it mostly just for character progression/opening up new content outside the base, or can you build up the base? Can you take control of locations/areas in the city? E.g. I saw this part in your review... So you capture that location, then what? Do you now control/own it; does it change enemy spawns or friendly spawns? Or you just get XP/loot and it resets to the same as before? Curious how dynamic the 'city at war' is, basically. GTA San Andreas turf war? GR Wildlands influence? Dragon Age INQ Keeps? Or basically just a regular mostly static GTA esque open world?
How's the enemy bases you describe work? (The part where you said they all look like repetitive NMS bases). You can raid enemy bases at any time... ? Or just mission arcs always end at bases? Is this like Wildlands where you basically free roam around to take out boss control or to take over territories?
Took me approx 17 hours to get through. That includes completing campaign and doing side operations as well as the different open world stuff.
Is there any sort of randomly generated or procedural endgame content, distant Lv99 cap, soft Level cap you can never reach, or basically 'soft goals' you can work toward after those 17 hours? Or you're literally basically done everything?

Yeah that's true. I enjoyed the boss fights but everything leading up to them was so samey. Seoul was wasted.

Dont get me wrong I see where you are coming from. When playing the game and writing the review I could see how mixed the reviews would be. I know I'm om the high end of the scale for a change.

Over at USgamer, I gave it a 3.5/5.

It's not an amazing or innovative title. Saints Row IV is the better game. But I admit I still have fun with it and it's the best G.I.Joe game we've ever had. It also gets better the farther you get into it. Worth a rent at least.

Karak

I was watching the segment about the base design.. is it mostly just for character progression/opening up new content outside the base, or can you build up the base? Can you take control of locations/areas in the city?

E.g. I saw this part in your review... So you capture that location, then what? Do you now control/own it; does it change enemy spawns or friendly spawns? Or you just get XP/loot and it resets to the same as before?

Curious how dynamic the 'city at war' is, basically. GTA San Andreas turf war? GR Wildlands influence? Dragon Age INQ Keeps? Or basically just a regular mostly static GTA esque open world?

How's the enemy bases you describe work? (The part where you said they all look like repetitive NMS bases)

You can raid enemy bases at any time... ? Or just mission arcs always end at bases? Is this like Wildlands where you basically free roam around to take out boss control or to take over territories?

No is nothing like that. Its basically just...congrats and you move on. Unless its a stroe owner who you save from being extorted b killing the enemies and then extorting them anyway:)

winstano

How's the enemy bases you describe work? (The part where you said they all look like repetitive NMS bases)

You can raid enemy bases at any time... ? Or just mission arcs always end at bases? Is this like Wildlands where you basically free roam around to take out boss control or to take over territories?

A bit of both to be honest. There are a ton of missions that end (or feature) the enemy bases, but they're also the end point of the "map missions" where you send inactive agents out to different areas. There is really no variety in them at all, and it's a bit of a shame :(

There are points around the map to take over, but they get equally repetitive. Open World fatigue is definitely setting in with me, and I was hoping that the sense of humour in AOM would pull me out of it, but it's definitely in the "Good, not great" territory.

Over at USgamer, I gave it a 3.5/5.

It's not an amazing or innovative title. Saints Row IV is the better game. But I admit I still have fun with it and it's the best G.I.Joe game we've ever had. It also gets better the farther you get into it. Worth a rent at least.

Fun is what I'm looking for. I'm going to be 33 in 2 weeks and sometimes I just wanna laugh at people dropping the f bomb like they are in a Scorsese movie about GI Joe.

Dont get me wrong I see where you are coming from. When playing the game and writing the review I could see how mixed the reviews would be. I know I'm om the high end of the scale for a change.

Yeah I was expecting a spread of scores too for it. I was proper looking forward to this too because I really enjoyed the Saints Row series. Hard not to compare when the devs insist on putting this in an alternate universe.

ya as I said in mine it takes a true genius to somehow suck out the soul and inspiration from Seoul. But congrats because it did.

Seoul feels barren. Sure it looks great but under the glitz there's no glamour.

Just finished putting in about 2 hours. Game is fun but I can definitely see where some of the complaints come from. I didn't honestly think it was going to be as bad as everyone is saying but maybe that comes from being overly repetitive and I haven't felt that yet. I will be doing a stream every day at 9PM Eastern on my channel (GameStreamMachine) of this game and will do a review of it at the end. By the way, I am doing legit give aways from time to time (gave away a copy of the game today but will have other gift cards in some of the streams) so if you are interested in those kinds of things, stop by.

I won't bring up my channel too often. Its just that I will be streaming this game for the next few days so I thought that it may be interesting to people on the official thread of the game and to people who would like gift cards. No I am not a bot.

winstano

I actually felt that the game got less repetitive after the first couple of hours. The first set of missions are generally "Go to A, press triangle, kill bad guys, go to B, press triangle, kill bad guys..."

It opens up a little bit, but it starts to devolve into generic missions again relatively quickly

Karak

Yeah I was expecting a spread of scores too for it. I was proper looking forward to this too because I really enjoyed the Saints Row series. Hard not to compare when the devs insist on putting this in an alternate universe.

Seoul feels barren. Sure it looks great but under the glitz there's no glamour.

Maybe thats what the microtrasactions are for lol. Buy the soul back to the fair city lol

SZips

My review at Total Gaming Network. I gave it a tentative 2/5 (1-5 scale, whole numbers only) as a review in progress. I am waiting to see if there is a day one patch for the PC release before finalizing my score and my review.

My blurb or whatnot:
At its worst, Agents of Mayhem is an extremely watered down Crackdown and at its best it's a moderately watered down Saints Row experience. Thankfully, the combat is great fun as is the ability to swap between three characters on the fly. I give high marks for the sheer number of diverse characters that you can choose to play as. I love the fact that they are all unique in terms of their personalities, their weapons, their style, their attitudes, their dialogue, and their abilities. Though many of the missions feel very samey, at least the boss fights are damn good fun. However, these positives just aren't enough to make up for the rest of the game's shortcomings. The UI may forever be a mess. Elements of the story and progression (or "regression" in one instance) are severely lacking, mainly thanks to the inconsistent writing quality and lack of cohesive tone. The sameness cookie-cutter style of underground Legion lairs does the game absolutely no favors either. With so many better alternatives out there, some of them even made by Volition themselves already, there just isn't much of a reason to choose Agents of Mayhem.

Is there any sort of randomly generated or procedural endgame content, distant Lv99 cap, soft Level cap you can never reach, or basically 'soft goals' you can work toward after those 17 hours? Or you're literally basically done everything?

There's a level 40 super agent cap you can work towards with each agent, but the speed at which you get there depends on your difficulty choice. The higher the difficulty the more xp earned. I was playing on difficultly level 6 and most agents were close to being level 20. If I'd stuck with one team composition would easily have passed that level milestone.

I hadn't done all the optional open world stuff which boils down to either destroy, capture, or race. There will be times where Legion regain control of towers so you can do those, and enemies do spawn in the streets too. But it does get repetitive fast.

I actually felt that the game got less repetitive after the first couple of hours. The first set of missions are generally "Go to A, press triangle, kill bad guys, go to B, press triangle, kill bad guys..."

It opens up a little bit, but it starts to devolve into generic missions again relatively quickly

Yeah the start of the game is def. the worst part.

Maybe thats what the microtrasactions are for lol. Buy the soul back to the fair city lol

Hey Karak, not to suck up or anything but I just wanted to say that I am a pretty big fan of your unique style of reviews and its cool that you respond to people in the comments of your videos so often and even here on NeoGaf. As a person who is trying to start a youtube channel, how much work would you say is involved? I feel like trying to stick to time commitments (like getting a review out in time) would suck up other responsibilities. Gonna post this with the hope that you respond but I understand if you are annoyed by questions like this.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Not really a surprise after his streams but Tom Chick gave it a 5/5 over at Quarter To Three

For years, Volition has been chasing Grand Theft Auto, keeping pace with it, passing it, running ahead of it in certain ways, eventually declaring ”aww, fuck it" and veering off to find their own path. This is where it's brought them. To this delight that is chasing no one, that stands on its own, full of character without sacrificing customization, freedom without sacrificing focus, accessibility without sacrificing challenge, homage without sacrificing originality, breadth without sacrificing depth.

An important part of what makes it work is the superheroes theme. A few years ago, I reviewed a superhero boardgame called Sentinels of the Multiverse. The opening of that review applies here:

'There are a few sequences in The Avengers when the various superheroes team up for combo moves. The Hulk positions a shard of armor plating and Thor hammers it into the giant space worm's back. Captain America uses his shield to bounces Iron Man's beam through several bad guys. Hawkeye needs to command a higher view of the city so Iron Man flies him up there (”Clench up, Legolas"). Black Widow catapults herself off Captain America's shield to grab a passing airship. Are director Joss Whedon and his team indebted to the kind of combo moves I've been doing all along with my Marvel Ultimate Alliance characters or my Marvel vs Capcom tag teams? And doesn't it go farther back to the comics that inspired them? You can only do so much with lone gods and superheroes. It's in the aggregate that they're most interesting.'

No game, licensed or otherwise, expresses this better than Agents of Mayhem.

EDIT - Beaten!

Rosur2a

Sounds like it might be a fund game if into the style if not pass on it.

Personally gonna wait for a sale at £10-15 and play for a platinum trophy.

Karak

Hey Karak, not to suck up or anything but I just wanted to say that I am a pretty big fan of your unique style of reviews and its cool that you respond to people in the comments of your videos so often and even here on NeoGaf. As a person who is trying to start a youtube channel, how much work would you say is involved? I feel like trying to stick to time commitments (like getting a review out in time) would suck up other responsibilities. Gonna post this with the hope that you respond but I understand if you are annoyed by questions like this.

pm me

Woof, glad to see I'm not alone in thinking future neo techno Seoul is boring. Even rehashed Steelport had more personality. They just don't make open worlds like Saints Row 2's anymore.

It's big enough, but there just doesn't feel like there's anything to do or see. Pedestrians just sort of exist on the periphery. I'd kill to hear that repetitive "I wonder what Brad is cooking for dinner tonight" line from SRIV, just for them to have any sort of presence.

For those asking "is this like Ghost Recon Wildlands/Shadow of Mordor"...absolutely not?

Think back to Saints Row IV. You had those sort of antenna towers, where there would be a couple of guards around them you'd need to clear out, then you would have the tower and destroy it. Sometimes there are bombs with hostages strapped to them that you need to rescue then destroy. That's kinda what the open world has to offer, at least early on. It just feels a million times more bland.

It has the verticality of a Crackdown, but (at least initially) no easy way of pursuing it. Hardtack can use his spear to give himself one additional jump when up against a wall, but unless there's a small ledge or something he can stand on immediately after, he'll fall back down any taller building.

The missions do seem to be the strength of the game, even though they start off as basic and dull as can be. I enjoyed Rama's first mission, anyway.

I mean, I'm happy to support Volition, but if you're on the fence, maybe don't rush headlong into this at full price.

Thanks, guys. Seems like the world is mostly a set piece for the action I guess. Still, I watched some of the late-game difficulty reviews and they seem to describe some pretty cool multi-character gameplay where it really promotes using all your characters (and creative agent choice) for things like one agent to kinda take down an boss' defense, while regularly switching in another Agent to take our random enemy adds or spawns, or a tank Agent whenever you see the boss entering a DPS phase or preparing high damage attacks; and, then once the boss reaches a new phase or shields are done, maybe switch in another agent to burn down his HP.

So that sounds like kinda cool multi-Agent design and also would make the agents you choose to take into the field more interesting -- a lot of mix-matching combos for different situations.

Add in the sort of G.I.Joe flavour I've seen a few people reference here or the 'Superheroes performing combos' and it sounds like it could be a fun combination of cool characters + creative gameplay. Maybe sounds kinda fun, I like games like Insomniac's Fuse or Invisible Inc. where you gotta choose your team for each situation and mix-match different creative combos of abilities. I kinda got this from the ACG review but (edit) that Quarter to Three review just posted above kinda describes this, too. Probably wait to see more reviews to see how well the 'quality' of the game. The open world sounds disappointing so $80 CAD for this sounds kinda high. But the gameplay design definitely interests me enough to buy it at some point I think.

I remembered Gat out of Hell performed average on the PS4. I wonder if this would be better optimised.

I'll get this eventually though. There's something about this game appeals to me.

Deathknell

KTs9o2R.png

AdjfKNK.png

Wow nice combo.

Tunahead

How do people rate the game world? I thought Saints Row 2 had by far the best open world city map, and 3/4 had easily the worst one.

GHG

Ah reviews seem mixed.

I'll wait for a sale on this one then. Still looks fun but makes sense to wait for it to be cheaper than it currently is on the PC.

Shouldn't take long.

Oh my god, I didn't know that this was a singleplayer game. Somehow I was under the impression that it would be some multiplayer shooter, lol.
Might check it out because I always enjoyed Saints Row.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it, bought and preloading. After looking at the reviews and the streams of the game itself, I'm pretty sure I'll have a good time with this, looking forward to jumping in.

How do people rate the game world? I thought Saints Row 2 had by far the best open world city map, and 3/4 had easily the worst one.
I've only played it for a bit but I like the design better than Steeleport (SR3/4) but it doesn't seem to be nearly as interactive as Saints Row 2's map. Its NPC civilian AI is worse than Saints Row 3 and 4 but seeing as its not a crime sandbox, it hasn't bothered me too much.

Top Bottom