• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Introducing Lola Pop - Nintendo Switch

PokéKong

Her gimmick being blocking-based reminds me, do you think they'll ever add the ability to remap the controls at all? Pushing in a stick to block is awkward enough as it is, I didn't feel like I was playing this game at my full potential until I got my hands on a Pro controller like a month later. But it still doesn't feel right doing such a basic and frequent action that way.

Neiteio

PokéKong;246684952 said:
Her gimmick being blocking-based reminds me, do you think they'll ever add the ability to remap the controls at all? Pushing in a stick to block is awkward enough as it is, I didn't feel like I was playing this game at my full potential until I got my hands on a Pro controller like a month later. But it still doesn't feel right doing such a basic and frequent action that way.
Wait, do we know for sure that her inflation is performed by blocking?

PokéKong;246684952 said:
My first thought when seeing her as well. I've gotten used to it, but it still never feels reactionary to click the stick in.

Wait, do we know for sure that her inflation is performed by blocking?
Seems like it; the blue shield is up whenever she does it.

H6N9HyH.gif

S2ln1WV.gif

cqsjrkn.gif

tm2eYNi.gif

Qnq3xR3.gif

uGU4BSr.gif

hTsIMVQ.gif

Aside from baller ass music, I love her little Bruce Lee-esque expressions as well.

Neiteio

My first thought when seeing her as well. I've gotten used to it, but it still never feels reactionary to click the stick in.

Seems like it; the blue shield is up whenever she does it.
Aw, snap. As someone who never blocks because clicking the stick feels odd, this will take some adjusting.

I wonder what inflating does, though. Seems like it'd just make you a bigger target for grabs.

Not sure how it'd improve your defense, either. Blocking already improves your defense, lol.

Oh, some people on Reddit are saying she can block in the air. That would actually be super useful.

Still doesn't explain what inflating on the ground does exactly. It shows her dashing out of shield a lot, so maybe it makes that better? Seems like it'll have multiple uses.

Also from Reddit:

The gamescom Streaming Schedule lists this:

Wednesday August 23rd 10:00 BST – ARMS – Lola Pop gameplay
Don't have verification on that, though.

hmm..

Max Brass was Spring Man's rival.

Lola Pop is Ribbon Girl's rival.

if this pattern continues we'll be getting Ninjara's rival after that.

I wouldn't say rival. Through twitter, Ninjara was essentially Spring Man's rival, and Twintelle to Ribbon Girl.

Metal B

Not sure how it'd improve your defense, either. Blocking already improves your defense, lol.
It looks like, see can block in mid-air , she is immediately forced to the ground, can bounce back into air and move while blocking. A very defensive character.

Neiteio

Oh, some people on Reddit are saying she can block in the air. That would actually be super useful.

Still doesn't explain what inflating on the ground does exactly. It shows her dashing out of shield a lot, so maybe it makes that better? Seems like it'll have multiple uses.
Yeah, it seems like she can both block in the air, and move while blocking on the ground (albeit slowly). In that respect she might be able to block more safely by blocking while moving out of the way of a potential grab?

Neiteio

So this character is clearly codename "Sweets" from the datamine leak.

I wonder if codename "Plant" is next. The ARMS twitter had a photo of a bush with eyes glowing and a vine arm poking out.

all the teasing leading up to this reveal had me thinking "boy I am going to hate this character"

twist though! turns out I love everything about her! what a fun design!

Metal B

Qnq3xR3.gif

In this gif is an important detail. After she uses her guard in the air, she falls to the ground, bounces back up and still has her guard active (she guards an attack after the bounce in the air).

woopWOOP

People screaming about clowns on first page had me expecting a Helix like monstrosity

Her design reminded me of the Little Nemo movie... just because that had cute clown girls too I guess, lol

Qnq3xR3.gif

In this gif is an important detail. After she uses her guard in the air, she falls to the ground, bonces back up and still has her guard active (she guards an attack after the bounce in the air).
She might end of having the safest movement options in the game.

Also, am I right in seeing that the nunchuck arms block stuff when charged, even when they're not out?

Qnq3xR3.gif

In this gif is an important detail. After she uses her guard in the air, she falls to the ground, bounces back up and still has her guard active (she guards an attack after the bounce in the air).
Seems like she is just bouncing out of her block, not that she is jumping with it on?

Edit: oh I see the popper attack now.

Yeah, it seems like she can both block in the air, and move while blocking on the ground (albeit slowly). In that respect she might be able to block more safely by blocking while moving out of the way of a potential grab?

TOEqEka.png

Looking at the gif I made up there frame by frame, you can see the shield up while in mid-air. It seems to be active as she's inflated.

random25

Qnq3xR3.gif

Looks like I was not seeing things earlier. She can really block while airborne. Nice special ability.

Eliseo

I was actually wondering what her nationality is supposed to be, if any. Going by the themes and song, she's definitely European but I don't know... Italian I guess? Maybe another French character like Twintelle - after all, Twintelle's VA is clearly not French going by her accent? Can't really see any other possible nationality. Or maybe she's all made up and mostly Italian and French-inspired.

Errr.. about that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeyto She is Twintelle's VA.

Neiteio

Do we even know whether real-life nations like France actually exist in the ARMS world, outside of Twintelle speaking some French? Seems safer to say these characters are inspired by different nations, in which case something like Lola Pop here might be based not on one culture, but elements of multiple cultures (France, Italy, a bit of Spain).

Rafavert

She can also block while moving! Loving her!
Great design, great music, and new guardians that seem to reflect the effect back to the user (look at Twintelle with Chillas getting frozen)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
She says oh la la and aïe (french for ouch) when she gets hit. That stage also clearly looks like a stereotypical french town as seen by japanese people and France has a well known reputation when it comes to desserts and sweets with patisserie. She's definitely french inspired.

Yeah. I only watched the video once at work on low volume, but I thought I'd caught an "oh la la". Didn't hear the "aïe" though. I think I heard some accordions at some point, right?

I guess she's French then. I was hesitant to believe that since we've already got a French character in the roster and I'm not used to French representation in games, let alone fighting games. We usually get the short end of the stick compared to, say, the UK and Germany.

Errr.. about that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeyto She is Twintelle's VA.

dafuq. I'm a native speaker too. Well, I stand corrected then. It's sometimes hard to understand what she says (and some of it is made up to boot IIRC), but I guess it's just the way she plays up (or was asked to play up) the stereotype that made her sound not French. It also doesn't help that I've only played the game during the testpunch :p. Should have spent more time listening more closely. Thanks for the info!

Aldric

Do we even know whether real-life nations like France actually exist in the ARMS world, outside of Twintelle speaking some French? Seems safer to say these characters are inspired by different nations, in which case something like Lola Pop here might be based not on one culture, but elements of multiple cultures (France, Italy, a bit of Spain).

lt's obviously not the same world, the map is completely different.

Dehnus

Thread title should've had an NSFW warning for us Coulrophobes
-_-

So, now bright colours are no longer allowed? Seriously she doesn't wear the creepy white facial make up, just a red nose and a face mask, the rest is all the usual Arms bright colourations and lollipop style.

I mean really you'd have a point if it was the usual USA inspired, "slap more white facial makeup on it, to compensate for lack of creativity" crap. But it's just a normal mask and a red nose, and the usual ARMS style.

Clowns..
Still. It's a pretty fun design. I'll try her and her ARMS out but still.
I will no doubt go back to my girl Min Min soon after

Dehnus

Clowns..
Still. It's a pretty fun design. I'll try her and her ARMS out but still.
I will no doubt go back to my girl Min Min soon after

Seriously what is the difference between Minmin and this one outside of the Nose? Both are extremely colourful due to the artstyle of the game. :(.

Top Bottom