• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

Symphonic

Trailers have downloaded quickly for me, and only built upon my anticipation for certain titles. The Paper Mario trailer was amazing, looks like a fucking beautiful storybook.

BooJoh

Apparently the following were on the E3 2010 3D Classics demo reel according to IGN:

Mario Bros.
Tennis
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Musasame
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
NES Open Golf
Twin Bee
Super Mario World
Kirby's Adventure
Mega Man 2
Castlevania
Urban Champ
Kid Icarus
Yoshi's Island
Smash Ping Pong.

Granted, in the Iwata Asks about the eShop they said that Tennis was ruled out because it didn't "wow" them enough, so obviously this list wasn't anything set in stone.

Mega Man

BooJoh said:
Apparently the following were on the E3 2010 3D Classics demo reel according to IGN:

Super Mario World
As in the SNES version huh? I didn't think they were re doing any SNES titles for the 3DS...

isny

napkin dispenser
Mega Man said:
As in the SNES version huh? I didn't think they were re doing any SNES titles for the 3DS...

Probably means the GBA ones. I'm sure we'll get those eventually. (Even though we could easily get Mario All Stars + SMW as a download if Nintendo wasn't an ass about it)

Kirbyguy said:
Apparently the info we were given was wrong and that PR will start on Thursday as well. So no 3 day warnings and whatnot.

That's what I was just hunting for. What's the point then? Get people psyched up earlier to visit the eShop, I say!

perfectchaos007 said:
I wonder when 3DSware ( or whatever they are calling it ) and some GBA games are going to arrive.

They haven't "officially" announced that GBA is coming to eShop yet, but since the version of Four Swords being given away in September is the GBA version, I would guess soon. Perhaps Nintendo will have another summit around then.

Plus they don't want to undercut GB/GBC sales by introducing an infinitely superior platform. The GBA library shames any other handheld.

mutsu said:
Can't remember if it was good or not.

All I remember was playing a similar game, Nekketsu Monogatari, to deaths on the Game Boy.

It was a lot like the NES one, but it had different levels and was hard as hell. I remember it had some incredibly annoying levels where you couldn't walk up and down and had to do some crazy platform jumping.

Oni Link 666 said:
It was a lot like the NES one, but it had different levels and was hard as hell. I remember it had some incredibly annoying levels where you couldn't walk up and down and had to do some crazy platform jumping.

agreed
Double Dragon 2 on the other hand is probably the best handheld beat'em up ever and even shits on Double Dragon Advanced and Final Fight Advanced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz4HeywXGIc

wsippel

Banned
I think this fell through the cracks during E3 and it probably isn't worth it's own thread, but the 3DS browser is actually neither classic NetFront nor NetFront Live, it's NetFront NX - a new Webkit based browser by Access optimized for extremely low memory usage. 3DS is the first device to use it. Flash support is planned, but not available right now. Not Nintendos fault, Access simply doesn't offer it yet. Also, contrary to the specs listed on Nintendos website, it actually does support HTML5, though not nearly as well as, say, Chrome.

I believe that also marks the first time Nintendo uses open source software, the source code is available at Nintendos website. Nice to see.

wsippel said:
I think this fell through the cracks during E3 and it probably isn't worth it's own thread, but the 3DS browser is actually neither classic NetFront nor NetFront Live, it's NetFront NX - a new Webkit based browser by Access optimized for extremely low memory usage. 3DS is the first device to use it. Flash support is planned, but not available right now. Not Nintendos fault, Access simply doesn't offer it yet. Also, contrary to the specs listed on Nintendos website, it actually does support HTML5, though not nearly as well as, say, Chrome.

I believe that also marks the first time Nintendo uses open source software, the source code is available at Nintendos website. Nice to see.
Too bad it's so slow... Although that 3D picture of the lego ship is pretty cool...

wsippel

Banned
MindCollizion said:
Too bad it's so slow... Although that 3D picture of the lego ship is pretty cool...
Comes with the territory. It uses less than 25MB RAM, there simply is no room for large caches or something.

BooJoh

ConradCervantes said:
They haven't "officially" announced that GBA is coming to eShop yet, but since the version of Four Swords being given away in September is the GBA version, I would guess soon. Perhaps Nintendo will have another summit around then.

Plus they don't want to undercut GB/GBC sales by introducing an infinitely superior platform. The GBA library shames any other handheld.
I hadn't heard that it was coming specifically in September, but they did say it would be DSiWare, which means it's not a VC title, it's most likely being ported to DSiWare complete with expanded resolution and wireless support. If GBA comes to VC it will almost certainly have nothing to do with Four Swords.

Speaking of wireless support, have any multiplayer games been released yet on GB VC in any region? I'm really hoping they can support local wireless, because throwing out multiplayer from certain GB games would just be a crime.

Worthintendo said:
I think I'd like to point out the big deal here that is
HOLY CRAP NINTENDO JAPAN IS GETTING DONKEY KONG 94 THIS WEEK

After Links Awakening, easily the best game Boy game ever made right there.

I'm looking forward to DK. I think most people here knew about it already though.

eShop updates are on Thursdays and the lists of games are posted on http://press.nintendo.com

BooJoh

I just transferred the rest of my DSiWare except for the few I'm leaving on my DSi or can't transfer (Woo, 120 menu spaces now!) and I had to move some of it to SD to download the rest because I ran out of internal memory. Clearly the 3DS has more internal memory and can hold more DSiWare, but I can't help but feel completely baffled at the fact that Nintendo couldn't manage to let us boot DSiWare from SD card, even if it was via an SD menu with a temporary copy like on Wii. It's slightly less cumbersome to move stuff back and forth on 3DS than it was on DSi, but I really just find it hard to believe they couldn't come up with a way to just let us boot it.

Notorious_Roy said:
When are the updates for eShop? And where can I find those lists?
Thursdays for America. The PR will probably go up around 5-6am Pacific, and the update around 9am, assuming the times stay the same as before.

GeekyDad

Suzzopher said:
Nintendo should have a blog and become more accessible to gamers and start to build a community.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...slow down there, buddy. Accessible to gamers? Nintendo? Those kinds of radical ideas could get you in trouble. Shh...

I miss the NSider forums. Closed 'em only months after becoming a sage.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Suzzopher said:
Nintendo should have a blog and become more accessible to gamers and start to build a community.

*hahahaohman.gif*

That would be fantastic but it's something they've never seemed willing to do.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Worthintendo said:
I think I'd like to point out the big deal here that is
HOLY CRAP NINTENDO JAPAN IS GETTING DONKEY KONG 94 THIS WEEK

After Links Awakening, easily the best game Boy game ever made right there.
It's not the SGB version. Boo hiss.

sfog

BooJoh said:
Speaking of wireless support, have any multiplayer games been released yet on GB VC in any region? I'm really hoping they can support local wireless, because throwing out multiplayer from certain GB games would just be a crime.

Radar Mission (US only for now) and Tennis (EU only for now) both had 2 player link support originally. I don't know whether it's implemented on the 3DS though.

Majine

Banned
Do all the trailers hold one spot each on the 3DS Main Menu? If so, they better fucking come up with foldering in a firmware update.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Majine said:
Do all the trailers hold one spot each on the 3DS Main Menu? If so, they better fucking come up with foldering in a firmware update.

Another choice could be makin a video program instead of packagin individual videos as individual programs which is totally insane because it isn't 1934 and so anyone using your product has probably grasped the concept.

Majine

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Another choice could be makin a video program instead of packagin individual videos as individual programs which is totally insane because it isn't 1934 and so anyone using your product has probably grasped the concept.
Well, yeah, but I kinda want to folder games too.

jarosh

Stumpokapow said:
the trailers and their implementation are an afterthought, like so many of the "features" of nintendo's online strategy. it seems like the most basic functions and implementations occur to them only after the fact. like, how is there STILL no straightforward way to just BROWSE THE FUCKING STORE? an no, awkwardly messing with filters does NOT count. this borders on sabotage. as a third party i wouldn't want my game in a store where it's HIDDEN by default. the interface is still a massive pain and goes against so many of the most basic principles of ui design. it's like the respective engineers and designers at nintendo live in a vacuum, completely unaware of just what the standard for (account based) online shopping is. the mindnumbingly inept implementation of the dsi store baffles and annoys me to this day: no sorting, no filtering, no option to see new content, slow as shit, 2 games per page. if you release a new game that starts with a "Z"... tough shit. no one will ever come across it. the 3ds eshop is a minimal and barebones improvement, but it's not even CLOSE to being up to scratch. hell, the servers alone can't even cope with the current user base when a large majority are trying to access it.

edit: that said, sorry for the slightly ot rant ;)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
jarosh said:
edit: that said, sorry for the slightly ot rant ;)

You're absolutely right though; the dsi shop and eShop are both terribly designed. I wonder if they even got a UI designer to do it, and just told a programmer to do whatever.

GeekyDad

jarosh said:
...it's like the respective engineers and designers at nintendo live in a vacuum...

...no sorting, no filtering, no option to see new content, slow as shit, 2 games per page. ...

Well, that's the impression I've always gotten of Nintendo, that their corporate culture is one of detachment from most outside influences.

But I can't say I agree with your assessment of the eShop. No, it's not perfect, but there are filtering options, there is also a specific icon for newest additions to the shop, and I haven't had any real issues with the speed of browsing or downloading from the shop, either. Only two things, off hand, I can think of I would like to see different with the eShop: 1.) When you view a game listed on your wish list and try to go back to the wish list, don't bring me back to the main menu, and 2.) Make the front page to the eShop more user-friendly, i.e. a basic introduction with small icons linking to main categories of the shop, rather than the scrolling menu now with no real welcome page.

PKrockin

The only thing I want is to browse all games in a vertically scrolling list alphabetically, by rating, and by date added. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard.

Ridley327

metsallica said:
Just tried to enter the store and was notified that new firmware was available. Could this be the Ridge Racer fix?
It's being discussed in another thread, but it most certainly is the Ridge Racer fix. Doesn't seem to be too much else on top of that.

Stumpokapow said:
1934? :lol

womp

BGBW said:
It's not the SGB version. Boo hiss.

Yeah the SGB version would be fantastic...

m1JEql.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality...I couldn't get the lighting right (Probably have the backlight up too high). Either way, day one purchase. It was always one of my favorite GB titles.

Londa

Banned
womp said:
Yeah the SGB version would be fantastic...

m1JEql.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality...I couldn't get the lighting right (Probably have the backlight up too high). Either way, day one purchase. It was always one of my favorite GB titles.

hmmm looks cool.

Top Bottom