• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 | Year One By The Numbers

Such as? It's been more than a year since launch and there's been a lot of updates (26, in fact), maybe whatever was keeping you from enjoying it has been fixed, or something new has been added that you might like?

Well my biggest mistake was get Mesmer to lvl 80, I found I hate that class with it's super simple rotation. Press all the buttons, switch weapon, press all the buttons and shatter every once in a while. My problems with the game are:

Combat- I find it too simple and boring, and in a large group it's just a spammy grindfest. It's all about doing as much damage as possible, and many bosses have too large heal pools.

Post Release Content/Endgame- After I got to level 80 my play time dropped off dramatically. There was just nothing I wanted to do. I finished my story and I did all the dungeons once. I didn't want to grind for gear and farming dynamic events was boring as shit. The 2 week content cycle adds content that can be done in a couple of hours max (unless you want to grind for shit, then it will take longer), then it's back to being bored.

Dynamic Events: Have you seen their old manifesto? Colin complains about centaurs standing around waiting to be killed for some quest when Guild Wars 2 has the same damn problem. Playing the game from level 1-80 once is a great experience, but the illusion doesn't hold up. The zones are largely the same from last year, centaurs are still doing the same thing they have been doing. The zones/events are not really dynamic, everything is still the same.

I guess I'm just tired of themeparks because i'm not interested at all by Wildstar. The only mmo I have a casual interest in is Everquest Next and that won't release for a while. Don't get my wrong, i'm glad the game is successful and lots of people love it, I just can't dig it.

Retro

Those are all valid reasons, though I disagree with some of them to varying degrees (for example, you're not meant to have a rotation; your skills are situational).

For what it's worth, they've improved on bosses having high HP (those that they've redone are all much more interesting fights), but obviously they haven't redone all of them yet (Ascalon Catacombs and a path in Twilight Arbor were all revamped, as well as the Tequatl the Sunless world boss).

Post-release content has been fantastic, I'm not sure if you quit before the "Living Story" started, but that's basically given players something new to do every two weeks. Though a lot of it is comprised of one-off story-driven events or temporary holidays, all but a few of the updates have been really solid (the latest updated added an entirely new map and play mode to World vs. World, and the one before that introduced two really solid boss fights, one of which has only been beaten a handful of times).

As for Dynamic Events, I don't think they failed to deliver on the Manifesto's proposal; the enemies do show up and do things rather than standing around waiting to get killed. And while it's not tied to Dynamic Events, you should see what's happened to Kessex Hills after the events of October / November if you think the world is still the same as it was at launch.

Beyond that, expecting to level twice in the same areas and not see a few repeat events is perhaps unrealistic? That said, even after a year and a half of play and getting 100% map completion on my main, I still find new DEs out in the world on a fairly regular basis.

I mean, you already own the game, so if you want to like it maybe a year or two has shifted things around a little. I'd also venture that maybe Mesmer isn't 'your profession', and this is the kind of game where that can make or break the experience (I've seen people come back to the game, pick a new class and fall in love with the game).

The only thing it costs you to see is bandwidth and hard drive space.

Top Bottom