• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has President Trump accomplished so far? (Objective answers please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swass

He withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/us/politics/tpp-trump-trade-nafta.html

I don't have total faith that he won't reverse himself on this, but it is a major accomplishment for good. Probably the only one.

The funny thing about this accomplishment is the TPP was already dead..

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...gress-on-trans-pacific-partnership-trade-deal

It wouldn't have mattered who was elected as Clinton had also reversed her stance on the deal.

All that Trump really did was make it a formality.

sangreal

It was the nuclear option for non-SCOTUS appointments. It is called the nuclear option based on the procedure used to change the filibuster. By your logic, the GOP simply further carved out part of the filibuster (it still exists) for SCOTUS appointments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option

you completely missed the point of my post, which had nothing to do with the semantics of calling it the nuclear option. call it whatever you want. it wasn't done to appoint 3 judges and its not related to the GOP's choice or ability to force Gorsuch through. Something they were going to do it either way, just as they demonstrated they would under Bush before the gang of 14 sham

and yes, I would say it is accurate to say the GOP simply further eroded the filibuster, which still exists

Balphon

As far as things that are of actual consequence:

1) Gorsuch on the bench.
2) Effectively ending the Clean Power Plan.
3) Ratcheting up the air campaign in Syria/Iraq via a combination of ceding more authority to lower-level commanders to authorize strikes and loosening the ROE regarding civilian casualties.
4) Reviving Keystone/Dakota Access pipeline construction effort.

That's all that comes to mind.

Such promise-keeping trackers can be a little bit of a deceiving measure of 'accomplishments'. Trump promised a wall that was supposed to be paid for by Mexico. As it turns out the US is getting a wall that will be funded by the Federal Budget and cost far more than he anticipated. Oops. The Federal budget is going to get gutted across the board for the next 4 years and America will have to live with the debt and expense of maintaining this thing. But hey - it looks like he's going to follow through on his promise to only take a $1 salary right? so those two things even out...

sangreal

2) Effectively ending the Clean Power Plan.

This hasn't actually happened. Just a 'review' like most of his EOs. Ending it is complicated unless the EPA can come up with a replacement (which they don't want to do since they don't believe in global warming)

you can add to the list several shitty actions by the FCC though

legacyzero

Banned
Screen-Shot-2017-03-31-at-5.47.10-PM-800x430.png
lol it's like Obama didn't inherit every Bush problem including a gigantic housing and economic crash LMAO

The only thing Trump has accomplished is dividing the country so strongly against itself, we'll probably never fully recover.

Families, friends, co-workers... he has burned so many bridges with his insufferable bullshit that it's amazing we aren't on the verge of another Civil War.

Or are we?

Balphon

This hasn't actually happened. Just a 'review' like most of his EOs. Ending it is complicated unless the EPA can come up with a replacement (which they don't want to do since they don't believe in global warming)

you can add to the list several shitty actions by the FCC though

True, but I think it has actual weight behind it with Pruitt running the EPA and the fact that the CPP was in a fairly nascent state to begin with. It'll just take time to unwind.

And yeah, that'd probably put it on the same footing as the FCC moving on net neutrality, at the very least.

Hermii

He demonstrated that as an American President, when things are not going your way....Bomb a foreign Country.

Your critics in the media will all of a sudden see you as more presidential by the sight of beautiful weapons on their way to wreak destruction.

He is far from the first president who pulled that trick.

Goofalo

I wonder if his lack of appointing Ambassadors to places, like the ROK, are simply a means of him consolidating power in the Executive Branch and his advisors, without the possibility of having to listen to an experienced, knowledgeable diplomatic corps/officer who may disagree with the direction the administration wants to pursue. Or maybe just simply sending him an email that might say "Probably should have said Korea was part of China."

zethren

Banned
Objectively? Nothing he's "accomplished" has been an accomplishment, or directly because of his efforts.

He's failed on several fronts, particularly failing his base on promises (yet they seem to still be eating out of his tiny hands). The TPP was dying already. He had nothing to do with Gorsuch other than simply being the president.

Everything else has been an embarrassment.

numble

you completely missed the point of my post, which had nothing to do with the semantics of calling it the nuclear option. call it whatever you want. it wasn't done to appoint 3 judges and its not related to the GOP's choice or ability to force Gorsuch through. Something they were going to do it either way, just as they demonstrated they would under Bush before the gang of 14 sham

and yes, I would say it is accurate to say the GOP simply further eroded the filibuster, which still exists
When you say "no, they did not use the nuclear option to seat 3 judges", I was taking you literally. The nuclear option is a complicated parliamentary procedure that is called a nuclear option because you can't reinstate the rule through the same procedure.

wildfire

Banned
The only thing Trump has accomplished is dividing the country so strongly against itself, we'll probably never fully recover.

Dude. Read something.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/24/...-republicans-democrats-pew-research.html?_r=0

The division was created long before Trump. When it comes to that specific topic he's the symptom not the disease.

Him being in office though will create problems only Trump could create but the origin of the divisions aren't Trump's fault.

Gattsu25

Banned
the drug treatment thing is good, i guess?
that hasn't actually happened either. it's just part of his budget wish-list
It's also not Trump's. Obama allocated that money and Trump is trying to steal credit for it:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/the-best-part-of-trumps-budget-was-a-sham.html
But it turns out this was just another instance of Trump's rebranding someone else's product.

The president's budget blueprint touts ”a $500 million increase above 2016 enacted levels to expand opioid misuse prevention efforts and to increase access to treatment and recovery services to help Americans who are misusing opioids get the help they need." This caught the eye of Vox's German Lopez, who noted that the 21st Century Cures Act — legislation signed into law by Barack Obama late last year — had already increased funding for opioid addiction treatment by $500 million over 2016's baseline.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Trump's budget meant to propose an additional $500 million (as its presentation seemed to suggest). But at a congressional hearing Wednesday, Health Secretary Tom Price confirmed that ”the $500 million is the $500 million from the Cures Act."​

So even giving Trump credit for that is bullshit of the highest order. Credit Obama who passed that law.

Like I said on the last page, a lot of the stuff that Trump is credited with on that github link either A) Hasn't happened yet or B) Happened before he became president.

That link credits Trump with more than he should be credited with and, even then, it STILL manages to make him look like a lying politician.

lol it's like Obama didn't inherit every Bush problem including a gigantic housing and economic crash LMAO

Average hourly wage on that chart exceeds average household income.

If you count two working adults rather than assuming there's one breadwinner, the average PPH is closer to $11/hr.

sangreal

When you say "no, they did not use the nuclear option to seat 3 judges", I was taking you literally. The nuclear option is a complicated parliamentary procedure that is called a nuclear option because you can't reinstate the rule through the same procedure.

It was meant to be taken literally. they did not use the nuclear option to seat 3 judges. They used it because the GOP was refusing to vote for any nominations, even blue slip nominees chosen by republican senators. I'm objecting to the motive ascribed, not the procedure.

In addition to that, I was trying to say that the democratic nuclear option didn't allow the republican one. That's the only reason I said they carved out a piece of the filibuster -- because their action did not enable the republican one. They were 2 entirely separate attacks on the filibuster tradition (I think the filibuster should die entirely, for the record)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom