• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

1772373_o.gif

With such a big OS the speed will likely be felt even more so on 720 right?
I mean its not just going to remove RAM from the gaming equation.

Not sure why people are making out like these seem evenly matched or very similar infrastructures.

Maybe because you are reaching conclusions based on the premise that the article is right about everything when an insider has already said otherwise?

Lulubop

Well, only fools expected monster specs. We know these machines have to ship around a $400 price point.

Still, I got the feeling for the past year there were some PC folks hoping to shit all over these console specs when they were announced.

So you're suggesting we're going to see a lot of games running at 60fps next gen? I've seen it said a thousand times before. ;)

lol

No clue why you would get that feeling since PC gamers benefit the most from strong console, and would hope to see next gen consoles as strong as possible. But of course that PC boogeyman.

Karak

It will be a step up because people with 680s right now are still playing console ports of games that are made on 2005 consoles. Now they'll actually get to utilize those 680s and likely have to upgrade in the first year or two.

What about games from devs that don't have engines that run on consoles and don't release console games. Are they utilizing 680's in SLI?

Are people ever going to stop comparing consoles to PCs or is this a forever thing.

We'll these systems are basically using x86 architecture now so ...no.

It would be funny if Nintendo managed to get publishers to port Next-gen games to Wii-U with them running at a low internal resolution (480p) with minimum AA, low rez textures, minimum AF, no SSAO, minimum physics. At least Wii-U has programmable shaders this time. Wii-U SD collection.

Spongebob

Banned
This article hasn't really given us any new info about the specs of Durango and Orbis, so where is all the enthusiam present in this thread coming from?

x-Lundz-x

Strange because I get the feeling neither are going to be a step up if power is your thing and you game on a good PC already.

I think people will see what they want to see but these seem modest machines with a sensible balance of power and power usage with its associated heat for such small units.

I suspect it'll come down to software as to whether I will get either.

Here is the problem, games today are made for current gen consoles first and then ported. So it doesn't really matter how much of a PC you have with a few exceptions. All you are getting is really a higher rez version of the same game. We need games made for next gen consoles.

Not impressed thus far. 4GB of GDDR RAM isn't going to have the longevity of more RAM and a smaller set of fast RAM (EDRAM?). I have yet to come across a developer that favored having a smaller amount of fast ram over a larger pool of slower RAM. More RAM tends to win out when it comes to most kinds of development.

Pistolero

Don't hesitate to dive in to correct me, tech expert neogaf fellows, but going by the rumours-infos we have, it seems that Sony's made a very well balanced and quite powerful system this time around. I don't know why, but I get a GameCube vibe from the mahine specs...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It will be a step up because people with 680s right now are still playing console ports of games that are made on 2005 consoles. Now they'll actually get to utilize those 680s and likely have to upgrade in the first year or two.

Just taking even the low hanging fruit here, having games designed around vastly more, notably-to-vastly faster RAM is a gigantic improvement for gameplay even if we ignore any visual upgrade.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This article hasn't really given us any new info about the specs of Durango and Orbis, so where is all the enthusiam present in this thread coming from?

It has actually told us a few things we didn't 'know' before. For all the forum whispering there hasn't been many hard reports from bigger sites.

And where it is merely confirming things we already heard, that's helpful too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm not a programmer, but how does bandwidth help with an APP footprint?

Well it can help the pipeline stay well fed, no stalls, no bottlenecks.

For example, where I work we had a design that loaded everything into RAM, over 12GB to do our processing. Later, we went through a re-design so that everything was pipelined, the required memory dropped to 512MB.

We also went from a two computer solution to a single computer. The 10Gb network connecting the two computers was a bottleneck that stalled the whole pipeline and the GPUs in each computer. We went to a single computer with a faster GPU and saved lots of money and it was faster.

Bandwidth eliminates bottlenecks.

Swifty

Depends on what you mean by "minor." There will be some diminishing returns in the sense that the most dramatic differences will be in the areas of framerate, resolution, and overall IQ. In terms of graphical bells and whistles, the improvements over DX9 and DX9-equivalent visuals on PS3/360 won't be nearly as large since there's no revolutionary change in hardware like programmable shaders.
I don't know man, tessellation and compute shaders can make some very impressive looking scenes. Sparse octree voxelization for real-time global illumination is something the current consoles can't do at all and that's going to be an Unreal Engine 4 feature.

aeolist

Banned
For those disappointed, you guys know you can't directly compare the GPU inside the Orbis to a 7970m in PC space. There are a lot of other caveats inside the machine that offset loads, and it's a closed box platform.

It's hard to make comparisons really.
Not really

In terms of raw compute and TDP past consoles tended to be on par with or ahead of contemporary PCs. These apparently use a lot of very low-power CPU cores and cut down versions of high-end mobile graphics chip sets, they won't come anywhere close to powerful desktops. In terms of software overhead Durango is basically going to run the Windows 8 kernel and much of the WinRT framework for apps so it's pretty directly comparable there too.

It'll be a hell of a leap over PS360 because it's been 7 years, not because they're pursuing powerful designs.

What about games from devs that don't have engines that run on consoles and don't release console games. Are they utilizing 680's in SLI?

Devs that only dev for PC have the caveat of not being feasible to develop their game around a top of the line card and configuration.

M.D

Not impressed thus far. 4GB of GDDR RAM isn't going to have the longevity of more RAM and a smaller set of fast RAM (EDRAM?). I have yet to come across a developer that favored having a smaller amount of fast ram over a larger pool of slower RAM. More RAM tends to win out when it comes to most kinds of development.

What game can possibly use all that RAM?

It'll be very interesting to see which of the two ends up on top if they release within the same Quarter and nearly identical hardware and possibly price.

Sony has a broader range of first party exclusives and free online multiplayer (for now) but Microsoft has a more cohesive multimedia ecosystem and a few heavy hitters of their own.

For a gamer this means:

PS4: CPU- 8 Jaguar cores at 1.6, GPU- 1,84 TF, RAM- 3.5 GB of GDDR5

Durango: CPU- 6 Jaguar cores at 1.6, GPU- ? TF (rumored 1,2 TF), RAM- 5 GB DDR3.

Oh shit here we go boys.

Fucking MONSTER machines.

2008 pc gpus already came with gddr5... (though it is nice that there is a whole 4GB of it!)

Ps4 is looking to be equivalent to a mid range 2011 pc, nothing monster about it.
Don't get me wrong, 7970m is a great laptop card, shame they had to gimp and underclock it though.

7970m = ~7850 desktop part.

It could have been a lot worse I suppose, still rather dissapointing to me.
Not nearly powerful enough for even crysis 2 with the dx11 patch at 60 fps.
Seems like we'll get a big enough leap to get out of the resolution and framerate and crappy shadows and lighting ghetto, but not much more than that.

So either we'll get graphics similar to current console ports with pc settings graphics, or we get a graphics leap and are right back at 720 p 20 fps and horribly agressive LOD.

I'm not optimistic or hyped at all about next gen.
edit: at least it should be really cheap.
Low clockspeed = don't need to be picky for the quality of the parts since you can run at low voltage + small gpu die and small cpu die.
I expect 299 euros, maybe 350 if you they want to nintendo it and make a profit on the hardware.
edit: actually make that 350-399 since the ram isn't cheap.

Tomcat

I believe dedicated gaming consoles are a thing of the past. So having as much memory as you can in order to be able to do many stuff outside of gaming is a must. Microsoft got it right. As for Sony if that 512mb is right I am not sure.

He'll be fine, stop over hyping magical console optimization.

If we see games like SW 1313 at launch, I think it will definitely run it, but it won't run it at max. I don't see how you could think otherwise.

The thing is, the 570 is fine right now because PC games are still just console ports with higher fidelity options and resolution. When Orbis and Durango drop, games will hit a different tier because the playing field has changed. Now devs can do so much more with physics, AI, destruction, NPCs, animation, world size, particle effects, etc. They're no longer just better ports of 360/PS3 games. They'll turn into different beasts altogether.

A GTX 570 will now need to run actual "next gen" games instead of prettying up a 360/PS3 game. It will be ok for the first year or so, but people will need upgrades next gen, within a year or two. Nothing magical about it.

Karak

Devs that only dev for PC have the caveat of not being feasible to develop their game around a top of the line card and configuration.

Sure but that doesn't mean they couldn't also program for these 680 sli systems. So if what you are saying is true. Nothing changes because the older cards still exist. Of course I don't believe that. But I just haven't seen a good example of anything that proves that point. I am not saying NOTHING does. I was just asking the question because I actually don't know the information.

DieH@rd

Banned
THIS IS ME WHILE READING DF ARTICLE:​
ibr5MA5HcXaSBY.gif

PLAYSTATION 4 is a great console that will host amazing 1080p games and incredible 720p games!​

They went with 8 jaguar cores - great! One of them is more efficient than than one PPU of CELL. It will be somewhere in the ~10x PS3 CPU range [without SPE-s].

They went with downclocked variant of 7970m - great! I expected something from Pitcarin line, and instead of going with desktop 78xx, they went with more efficient mobile version. 1.84 TF is good, but I expected better. At least, cooling will be easier with sub <2TF GPU section. ~10x PS3 GPU

They went with 4 GB of GDDR5 - awesome! This is the killer feature of PS4. It has the more powerfull GPU than Durango, but the fast memory will ensure that GPU can use all that power on the maximum ammount of data avaiable. More than 3GB of RAM data can be accessed by GPU during one frame of 60fps game! More ram access = more effect per pixel. More AA, more pixel shaders, more stuff. Also, 512MB of OS ram is MORE THAN ENOUGH for console use and great news for games that will have access to 7x more ram data [and much faster one] than in PS3.

They included custom processing unit - awesome! This feature will enable untold advantages to the system, from physics processing, to advanced fluid dynamics, complex lightning calculations, to who knows what. Flops advantages that will be gained from this module are unknown, but will surely manage to produce great effects.

Entire console will use about 150W - great! I expected a little more power [and Gflops], but this way they have console that is really easy to manufacture [one APU, 8 RAM chips on motherboard, southbridge, and nothing much more] and relatively affordable to sell. I expect $350 for a SKU with small HDD, hopefully even lower if they want to produce console with 16/32GB of flash and empty HDD slot. Cooling and size od the console whould be around the size of PS3 Slim.

In the end, its a fast console, with fast gpu and AMAZINGLY fast RAM. On paper its 10x more powerfull than PS3, but in reality we dont know what preformance modifications are in CPU/GPU/custom Compute Unit. I shudder when I think about the games that Guerilla, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog will create with this great hardware. Great times are in front of us! E3 will be epic!

Maybe because you are reaching conclusions based on the premise that the article is right about everything when an insider has already said otherwise?

Well what else am I to make conclusions about, also what insider?
OP needs updating if that's the case.

Still 720 will have a larger OS the point stands. Depending what its needed to do could further restrain the hardware.

3GB for the OS sounds insane. It must be have some integrated Twitch streaming or some shit.
If its true, I imagine its for multi-tasking/app switching, and possibly being able to switch between apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant like you would stations on a cable box. And would likely also give you the ability to switch between a game and an app in the same manner.

2008 pc gpus already came with gddr5... (though it is nice that there is a whole 4GB of it!)

Ps4 is looking to be equivalent to a mid range 2011 pc, nothing monster about it.
Don't get me wrong, 7970m is a great laptop card, shame they had to gimp and underclock it though.

7970m = ~7850 desktop part.

It could have been a lot worse I suppose, still rather dissapointing to me.
Not nearly powerful enough for even crysis 2 with the dx11 patch at 60 fps.
Seems like we'll get a big enough leap to get out of the resolution and framerate and crappy shadows and lighting ghetto, but not much more than that.

So either we'll get graphics similar to current console ports with pc settings graphics, or we get a graphics leap and are right back at 720 p 20 fps and horribly agressive LOD.

I'm not optimistic or hyped at all about next gen.

Let me justify why I think it's a monster machine.

All the PS3/360 games ported over to PC are practically ports of games released on old hardware. We see great results of those ports. Just imagine what kinda games we'll get on PC and consoles with the hardware we're rumored to witness.

I'm personally very excited and optimistic and hyped about the direction of next-gen. It's going to be spectacular.

Top Bottom