• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I am so happy to read about the RAM situation and how little is used by the OS. PS4 is going to be a monster.

512MB OS = Ps4 is out of next OS race! :p

Only thing new here is the secret sauce and the OS usage in PS4. 512 MB seems ideal, I'm glad they are keeping it simple.

I still don't believe the 3Gb for OS in Durango.

Locked Windows 8 variant, geared to compete with Apple has always been my take.

Glad to read more sources indicating 4GB of GDDR5 is in the system, but i am a bit bummed by the lower clock 8 core setup.
This a low power CPU design, which is fine. People asking for hing end desktop class are in the wrong imo. Better to spent that power/silicon budget in the GPU if there's any to spend.

Glad to read more sources indicating 4GB of GDDR5 is in the system, but i am a bit bummed by the lower clock 8 core setup.
Thought, that is offset by my enthusiasm regarding the "lite" OS ram usage... which is awesome. I want to play games, not run apps.

Sony don't go with Jaguar it's too easy! Go with CELL 2 hurry and update the dev kits. I would assume a 4 core AMD CPU with some hyper threading would do better, closer the 3ghz that the cell runs on.

But honestly, they need a CPU that can at least imitate the PS3's cell cpu, PSN titles have to be cross compatible.

And microsoft using 3gb of ram for the OS sounds like Windows 8 IS the os.

So roughly equal to a midrange 2012 PC.

That's good. It means neither of these machines will break the bank, and the 4k support will be relegated entirely to movies.

I think the assumption here is that it will basically be a running a full operating system like windows 8, or something very close to it.

so basically windows rt? interesting. I hope it doesn't end up causing problems. sony seem to have the right idea with their smaller os, shame microsoft decided to go in the opposite direction.

so about that recording gameplay and uploading clips. unlikely?

JaggedSac

3gb reserved for the os in durango seems unnecessarily excessive. I wonder what it will be used for.

is it too much to hope for that some of that will be used for recording gameplay and uploading clips to youtube?

It does seem like a lot, and hopefully any 3rd party can create apps to run on the machine so hopefully it could be up to 3rd parties to implement what you are wanting.

1-D_FTW

Interesting. Cores mattered more than anything when talking about PC console ports. If they're both using 8 core CPUs, I wonder if it'll be necessary to have an 8 core CPU for optimal PC ports.

Romir

With all that memory bandwidth I hope we get some nice AA on the Ps4. That thought practically puts it in the buy category for me over the competition.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Oh shit here we go boys.

Fucking MONSTER machines.

no, not really. it's about the best could expect from the power and form factor requirements, though; they certainly didn't cheap out on ram.

whereas last gen consoles were shipping with desktop parts, next gen they'll be shipping with laptop parts.

Interesting. Cores mattered more than anything when talking about PC console ports. If they're both using 8 core CPUs, I wonder if it'll be necessary to have an 8 core CPU for optimal PC ports.

it's going to be a developer by developer basis i guess, and will depend on how strong a hand the pc audience can play when it comes to ports. even a craggy old 2500k will run laps around an octocore jaguar, but plenty of dual cores which smoked the xenon came off badly in ports due to its tri-core architecture.

iceatcs

Whatdidyousaytome_zpsdd6019d2.gif

3GB WTF!! I hope it isn't true.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Orbis is 8 core CPU? The thread with the leaks said it was 4. Which is it?

The original vgleaks said 4 Steamroller cores.

Later we heard that the core had changed from Steamroller to Jaguar. No mention was made of how many.

Now we hear it's 8 Jaguars which makes sense.

Orayn

That custom chip is sounding a lot like a co-processor for floating point stuff, it seems. Fits with AMD's "Fusion" philosophy, and could potentially fill the role of what Cell's SPUs were used for. (Give up on backwards compatibility, though.)

But what about the GPU?

I'm running a 7970m.
If the PS4 has an underclocked version. Wouldn't that be kinda disappointing?
Disappointing to who? I want to know who out there really thought Durango and Orbis were going to be anywhere near comparable to highend pc on paper.

derFeef

so basically windows rt? interesting. I hope it doesn't end up causing problems. sony seem to have the right idea with their smaller os, shame microsoft decided to go in the opposite direction.

3GB for the OS seems really high, there must me something else. PC W8 requires <1GB after boot.

It does seem like a lot, and hopefully any 3rd party can create apps to run on the machine so hopefully it could be up to 3rd parties to implement what you are wanting.

this would be ideal. I know they patented game recording or something like it not too long ago, so I'm hopeful it's part of their feature set on durango.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
:/

They seem to think the specs they have fares very well against Durango/expectations, but a underclocked 7970M seems lower than the rest of the rumors?

Right in line with them. The 7970m is the same config as the 7850/7870 desktop. Maybe they pare out a few things to reduce power usage? Not sure. But the core specs are the same. The spec on the compute units etc. is right in line with what was rumoured before ('1.84Tflop' etc.)

3GB for the OS seems really high, there must me something else. PC W8 requires <1GB after boot.

It wont be a full operating system... but I bet it's capable of doing things like recording TV in the background whilst you're playing a game and things like picture in picture.

Is it absolutely naive to assume they could use Gaikai to provide this? Honest question.

Not naive, sadly it's probably likely. It's a shit solution though.

Orayn

Is it absolutely naive to assume they could use Gaikai to provide this? Honest question.

It's certainly possible, but I don't think you'd necessarily be thrilled with the results unless Sony pumped a ton of money into putting PS3-enabled Gaikai data centers everywhere.

I want to know who out there really thought Durango and Orbis were going to be anywhere near comparable to highend pc on paper.

I've been saying the same thing and hearing a lot of "you don't know what your talking about, next gen consoles always surpass PC hardware"... and i just shake my head.

JaggedSac

A Windows blog post said it goes as low as ~200mb. They must be shooting for a LOT of multitasking if the 3gb reservation is correct.

RT is for ARM, this is running on X86.

It will probably be similar to Windows RT in that it will only run applications via WinRT.

Derrick01

Banned

DF suggested it would be for kinect and apps and the general OS, basically what the 360 has now but way more overboard. They seem to think Sony won't be going for most of that stuff and will leave most of the RAM for raw gaming performance.

WalkMan

Banned

Windows RT is ARM. Microsoft is probably going for a stronger persistent OS approach - more features running simultaneously.

Top Bottom