• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Location Tests: May 16 - 22

GrayFoxPL

Ha reports say Bryan and Law are nerfed to shit. Yeah!

But then Harada says on twitter not to talk about character balance as this is only a test, which makes me sad. Fuck top tiers and their whores. :(

GrayFoxPL said:

But then Harada says on twitter not to talk about character balance as this is only a test, which makes me sad. Fuck top tiers and their whores. :(
I hate major nerfs, even for the really strong. Just make everyone strong and release that beast into the wild.

AAK

GrayFoxPL said:

Definitely something to look out for. During the Tekken 6 original location tests, Bruce was even worse than his Tekken 5.0 version. Then look what happened to him!

Edit, and we finally have some (terrible cam) Lee footage!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Looks really nice but it is a damn shame that they didn't bring back more characters. One of the cool things about TTT is that they just said fuck it and brought back everyone...even Prototype Jack and Jack-2.

I don't necessarily think that we need 2 more Jacks but it would be nice to see Combot (for a random/random team with Mokujin), Forest Law (reworked), Michelle, Kunimitsu, Unknown (they still haven't explained her) etc. Wonder if they might be holding back some characters for an update down the road.

I notice there are 2 question marks on the select screen on either side of the big one that spans 2 rows in the middle. I assume the large one is random select. Hopefully the other 2 are for Michelle and Kunimitsu.

Edit: I also notice that when you do tag combos the opponent doesn't lose the chunk of red bar that they have like they do in the original tag. :(

AAK

There won't be anymore characters for TTT2. There is a chance for them to be console exclusive... but I don't know if that's a good idea.

Unknown can still probably be the final boss of TTT2.

Baron Aloha said:
Edit: I also notice that when you do tag combos the opponent doesn't lose the chunk of red bar that they have like they do in the original tag. :(

Yes they do, but only for the traditional tag combo. What everyone is trying to do in these location tests is Tag Assault combo's. Those don't take red life... but in fact consume all of the red life of the character being called in for the Tag assault.

Tag Assault is where you have both characters doing the juggle simultaneously, whereas the tag combo you're referring to is where a character launches and then exits allowing his/her partner to solely complete the combo. see below:

http://www.versuscity.net/2011/05/10/tekken-tag-2-location-test-news/

EDIT: BTW mods, this isn't a magazine scan, it's a laminated guide that was posted duirng the TTT2 exhibitions right before the location tests :)

GrayFoxPL

Wonder if there are specific "relation" gameplay changes like in Tag 1.

Like in original when you paired Jin with either Kazuya or Jun, his scissor kicks throw got instant recovery evevn before the opponent so it allowed him to juggle with eg. Thunder God Fist. Loved that shit.

sn00zer said:
Everytime I enter a fighting game thread I'm always hoping for people discussing the characters or story or environments or graphic, but all im left with is fighting game lingo
Yeah.

MK threads can be good about that stuff though.

LowParry

I like what I've seen of Jun so far. Mixed Jun/Jin style she has. Hoping to see more of her played out. Julia looks slightly different, but has a lot of her same moves from before. I have a feeling she's going to be a powerhouse.

"Everytime I enter a fighting game thread I'm always hoping for people discussing the characters or story or environments or graphic, but all im left with is fighting game lingo"

It's a shame people are actually more interested in playing and not discussing superficial stuff. You'd almost think this was a video game.

Kingpen

When is the next opportunity to play a new Tekken game on consoles? I'm wondering specifically about TTT2 and even Street Fighter x Tekken?

I've been eying the copy of Tekken 6 for 20 bucks in the store, but don't want to buy it if something is going to come out by christmas?

Any ideas for release dates for the 2 new tekken titles?

GrayFoxPL

Slamtastic said:
Yeah.

MK threads can be good about that stuff though.

Tag is a dream match game so there's no story. And btw Harada doesn't really care about story anymore, not since he had to undo everything after T3, bring back dead characters and lie that they were "missing". When T3 came out everyone knew Bryan was a replacement for Bruce, Jin for Kazuya and Jun and Hwoarang for Beak. Fuck it was so funny seeing them backpedaling even with Forest Law and brining back Marshall Law. For what? A different name and a mustache? Fanservice to the limit of stupidity. Lols.

LowParry

Kingpen said:
When is the next opportunity to play a new Tekken game on consoles? I'm wondering specifically about TTT2 and even Street Fighter x Tekken?

I've been eying the copy of Tekken 6 for 20 bucks in the store, but don't want to buy it if something is going to come out by christmas?

Any ideas for release dates for the 2 new tekken titles?

Spring and Summer of next year. And yes, I'd get very familiar with Tekken 6 because a lot of the same mechanics are used in TTT2 (by the looks of it at least).

AAK

For some reason I can't edit my OP anymore LOL. Whenever I go to edit, it takes me to a blank reply window haha. Should have split it into multiple posts :p

Superficial things I'd like to see (I'll leave the gameplay specifics to the pros =])

- Retro costumes for all eligible characters. If not, then retro customization options.
- Jin NEEDS to morph into Devil Jin. The effect was cool in TTT with Kaz/Devil.
- All final bosses should be represented. We got Ogre and Pachi. So where's Devil (true form) and a mini Azazel (lol)? Unknown too...

I guess that's it. Love what I'm seeing. Stages are wonderful. The music tracks, especially the remixes, are excellent. Characters are more detailed thus giving it a true current gen look. I played a tad of T6 last night and just laughed at Yoshi's default P1 model. It is so fucking ugly. I'm glad it's rectified in TTT2.

AAK

MoonsaultSlayer said:
- Retro costumes for all eligible characters. If not, then retro customization options.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think T6 had that for nearly everyone except Yoshi, Ling, and Jin's weird 2P T3 outfit.

Monocle

MoonsaultSlayer said:
- Jin NEEDS to morph into Devil Jin. The effect was cool in TTT with Kaz/Devil.
If Namco puts in a morph like that, it needs to be tied to a different input than the tag button so a Jin/Devil Jin team doesn't have restricted tag-in options like Kazuya/Devil did in TTT. Tag combos shouldn't be sacrificed for a cool effect.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
AAK said:
Yes they do, but only for the traditional tag combo. What everyone is trying to do in these location tests is Tag Assault combo's. Those don't take red life... but in fact consume all of the red life of the character being called in for the Tag assault.

Tag Assault is where you have both characters doing the juggle simultaneously, whereas the tag combo you're referring to is where a character launches and then exits allowing his/her partner to solely complete the combo. see below:

EDIT: BTW mods, this isn't a magazine scan, it's a laminated guide that was posted duirng the TTT2 exhibitions right before the location tests :)

Could you please link to my article on the site instead of the image itself please? I just don't want my bandwidth getting screwed lol, thanks.

Anyanka said:
Wooo can't wait till 2013 for the console release.

If Lili's d/b+4 doesn't KD I hope it's back to the DR speed.

I'm expecting this to come out at home around late 2013 generously speaking or even early 2014 unfortunately. :( I hate you arcades!!!!!! I want to play this now!!!!! I love Tekken 6, but it's sort of old now you know. :p

Anyway, I am definitely looking forward to this for the consoles.

LowParry

Um, I'm pretty confident we'll see TTT2 on consoles next year near the Summer time. The only way it'd get bumped back is if there was another version that came out (ala: T6:BR).

AAK said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think T6 had that for nearly everyone except Yoshi, Ling, and Jin's weird 2P T3 outfit.

Hmm. Guess I was more hoping to see T2 era stuff... mostly from Yoshi =/.

As for the transformation. Yeah, a special input would be great.

CcrooK said:
Um, I'm pretty confident we'll see TTT2 on consoles next year near the Summer time. The only way it'd get bumped back is if there was another version that came out (ala: T6:BR).

Actually, that makes sense. I can deal with Summer 2012.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Superficial things I'd like to see (I'll leave the gameplay specifics to the pros =])

BsNXH.jpg

I would love to see them put in the old character models from the PS1 games as customization options, like what they did in Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. I wouldn't hold my breath for it though, but it's something that I'd love to see. It can't be that hard to implement.

I would love to once again play as the Tekken 1 Marshall Law with his mouth permanently open:
07r7n.jpg

or as Yoshimitsu in his pimp Tekken 2 outfit:
4gnZm.jpg

Edit: on the same subject, I'd like to see them bring back some of the old stages. I saw in one of the TTT2 direct feed videos they brought back the Fiji theme (or Roger's Tekken 2 theme) which is cool and all, but there's one stage that needs to be brought back:

sjo4u.jpg

Seriously though, this stage has one of the best themes in the series by far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5niQFecICjM

This was already sort of touched on, but am I the only one who thinks it's stupid that you can have the 2 Jins on a team?

I hope that in SFxTK if you have Ryu/E.Ryu, Jin/D.Jin, Akuma/Oni, etc. it'll just be the one character, who transforms when you do tagging actions.

Slamtastic said:
This was already sort of touched on, but am I the only one who thinks it's stupid that you can have the 2 Jins on a team?

I hope that in SFxTK if you have Ryu/E.Ryu, Jin/D.Jin, Akuma/Oni, etc. it'll just be the one character, who transforms when you do tagging actions.
In Tag 1, Kazuya and Devil Kazuya transformed when paired didn't they? Maybe I'm losing my mind...

Throavium

GrayFoxPL said:

Law was too powerful?

I've counted five generic tag throws so far:
-vertical suplex
-DDT
-climbing facebuster
-shoulder tackle
-flying kick
I don't think every team has access to all at once, but these are the ones I've seen done by more than one team.

AAK

Doesn't seem all that different. Still has his major tools. Only big thing about him is that while you tag him in, he can do an instant WR+2 (similar to how you could do the running slide or double armed spear in TTT) which is huge asset.

Master Thespian said:
-vertical suplex
-DDT
-climbing facebuster
-shoulder tackle

-flying kick
I don't think every team has access to all at once, but these are the ones I've seen done by more than one team.

Are you sure that's the generic 2+5 ones? I assumed they were command tag throws.

Master Thespian said:
-vertical suplex (King/A King, Jaycee/A King)
-DDT (Xiaoyu/Wang, Jaycee/Eddy)
-climbing facebuster (Asuka/Jaycee, I can't remember the other one but I've seen it)
-shoulder tackle (Lili/Leo, Jaycee/Eddy)
-flying kick (a bunch of combos)
Combinations I've seen bolded.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
You sure. Sounds like a remix of the DR stage that this is a recreation of...
The palm trees/beach resort + the music are dead giveaways.

You're thinking of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60v_GYZhnBM

Add another generic tag throw to the list:
Camel clutch/face punt (A King/Lars, Bryan/Dragunov)

EDIT: On second thought, they probably combined the T1 stage with the T5DR stage and remixed T1's music.

Master Thespian said:
The palm trees/beach resort + the music are dead giveaways.

You're thinking of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60v_GYZhnBM

Add another generic tag throw to the list:
Camel clutch/face punt (A King/Lars, Bryan/Dragunov)

EDIT: On second thought, they probably combined the T1 stage with the T5DR stage and remixed T1's music.
Oh, that. Yeah, awesome flashbacks. Thought you meant the snow castle area since it was the first match haha.

Degen

ttt school, t5 moonlit wilderness, t4 arena, t1 beach (aka t2 roger/alex?), t5dr snow castle, ttt intro and god knows what else I forgot/haven't seen/didn't realize was a remix

Master Thespian said:
What happened to the OP?
imploded, can't blame it

GrayFoxPL

There are tons of videos online, not possible to watch them all. You'll lose track.

It was just few days and people are getting so good at Tag combos. At first it was all missed juggles, but give them 2 days and they're doing amazing shit.

The dirt mechanic looks really fantastic and funny. It's not subtle at all. There's Dust, mud and water.

Top Bottom