• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a Switch friday but I'm still just playing Yooka Laylee and Quake Champions. lol

Quake could potentially be the other competitive FPS we need alongside CS:GO. The game is surprisingly great as long as you're not playing the poopy duel mode. Color me shocked.

Parsnip

Taking bets on if we get 2 threads for May and how long it takes for them to be merged :p

Based mitx machine.

Managed to transport my machine across the country in my luggage and all set up again, with a better monitor than before. Neat!

What's your case?

Huh. I guess the fatigue system ins FES is different than Portable. The only thing that fatigued characters in the latter was being KOed and rezzed out of battle; it kind of made the system superfluous.
Yeah, I didn't play the PSP version, but I had heard that they practically made the whole thing a bit pointless. Fatigue also didn't happen on The Answer portion of FES. But it was a real son of a bitch on the main game as far as I recall.

Kyougar

So Prophecy of Pendor (a Mount&Blade mod) has achievements...

(Yes, that is my character--Artylla--in a weird running pose.)
They actually give in-game bonuses, which is something I wish caught on instead of the whole "score" thing. (Also, there's negative achievements!) It gives a lot more room to personalise a game than just an arbitrary, out-of-game score/checklist.

Now that I think about it, Alpha Protocol basically had a similar system, though it didn't classify them as "achievements." And it was cool there, too.

Huh. I guess the fatigue system ins FES is different than Portable. The only thing that fatigued characters in the latter was being KOed and rezzed out of battle; it kind of made the system superfluous.

Do you have to play a new game? I have a 50 hour gamesave somewhere which I could check again.

I was thinking about submitting for Groupees Greenlight in a few months, but then I remembered that Direct is coming to save us from ourselves.

Jalal

Rising Storm 2 Vietnam Digital Deluxe Edition Preorder (13.85€)

Saw that deal on reddit and it looked really good. Dreamgame doesn't accept paypal as payment method and it's an approved digital distributor.
Price might vary depending on your country of residence in Europe (VAT).

This is a tempting price, I like soft milsim of the RO/Squad variety, but I havent been following RO:Vietnam.

Anybody here play it? Thoughts on it being worth it.

Parsnip

Silverstone Raven rvz02. Just surrounded it with clothes / towels so if had some slight protection (which the luggage was already filled with anyway). Had no problems setting it up in the new place.
Very nice.

I really need to build a small pc next time and get some kind of specialized storage thing for all the extra hard drives that I can't fit in one of those. Or I should stop being a digital pack rat. Or maybe I'll start using the power of the cloud.

But even after looking at all kinds of cases, it's really hard to decide if I want just a smaller tower, or slim or maybe a cube on my desk. Life is difficult.

dex3108

Just finished Ballad of Gay Tony and with that Episodes from Liberty City. It took me 16 hours to finish both and i only did main missions. I was really surprised how much content was in there (remember those DLCs were just 20$ at launch). And how R* tied DLC stories with main game story was awesome. All in all i really enjoyed playing those DLCs.

Axass

Oceanhorn is some boring crap. However I'm currently 12 hours in Evoland II and I find it better than average. The definitely went overboard with pop culture references and with the scope of the game, but it managed to keep my interest, also now it's slightly more open: you can actually choose what to do between five different tasks, plus the sidequests, plus the card game.

Full impressions now that I've 100% it.

header.jpg

As a sequel, Evoland II blows the first entry out of the water in terms of scope: while the first one was a nice action adventure Zelda-like, with sprinkles of other genres, this is a full-blown action RPG with a whole card mini-game in it. The game features a time-traveling gimmick and a varying structure: the first half is totally linear and definitely the less interesting one, on the opposite, during the second part the game opens up, world map and all that jazz, letting you choose among many quests. The game is ambitious, the plot sorta clichè but still interesting, there are surprises at each corner thanks to many genre switch-ups, but the length of the adventure does a disservice to the experience, making it go a little stale by the end. The game could've been much better if it adhered more to a personal style, forgoing the countless and tiring pop and game references, which are literally everywhere, and lessening the number of mini-games and genre changes. Still a pretty long and engrossing game.

Plus some mildly hyped stuff that I found not that great:

header.jpg

Went in blind expecting a boss rush mode, got an action game with a few puzzles, some battles, lots of walking and just 6 bosses. The game is very pleasing aesthetically, with hand-drawn backgrounds and characters which feature fantastic animations; however after the first hour or so you already got down the structure of the game, which is from a certain point of view very repetitive: 5 worlds, each 2 levels featuring a secret apple, 2 divine statues and the rune, which is the main objective. The monotony is mildly alleviated by the levels being pretty unique in what you actually have to do in them, though it's mostly exploring and solving very boring puzzles. The fights with the giants themselves are pretty nice, but sometimes frustrating due to the difficulty and due to the very lackluster combat options. Beautiful but not that fun.

header.jpg

The game is short and to the point, it doesn't offer much of a challenge but some points are rather obtuse because you're never really briefed on what you can and can't do control-wise. The atmosphere is there though, and so is the general creepiness of the theme and of the game itself. The whole secret ending is at times creepy and at times comical... I don't quite understand what tone the writers were going for. A simple but enjoyable game to try once and that's it, I can't see myself ever playing it again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really need to build a small pc next time and get some kind of specialized storage thing for all the extra hard drives that I can't fit in one of those. Or I should stop being a digital pack rat. Or maybe I'll start using the power of the cloud.

Moving the HDDs I use for specific data storage to a bespoke, low-power NAS system housed in something like the Fractal Arc Mini R2 is something I've been toying with for years. With only an SSD and general downloads drive, I'd finally be able to move my system into a case that isn't some unwieldy full tower.

I bought this in a Groupees Greenlight bundle like two years ago. I had given up on it ever coming to Steam.
Well, at least it is something.
The game Alcarys Complex was greenlit, got a groupees key and activated it correctly (shows up in 'key activations' and all) but was never released on steam, so no library entry.
It looks like I activated an Abandonware game.

That was a first :|

Nzyme32

Bizarre internet situation here. Generally web seems a bit slugish and speed tests show only 20mbps - so 2MB/s - However, actually using Steam, or any service that needs heavy data - 12MB/s

Not complaining, far better than I've ever had before, but still no idea why this is the case

Very nice.

But even after looking at all kinds of cases, it's really hard to decide if I want just a smaller tower, or slim or maybe a cube on my desk. Life is difficult.

Oh, here is a very helpful tip for the Silverstone Raven rvz02 in particular - assuming you do not need a slim line disc drive at all, you can make a couple of very easy changes and fit a full 3.5" HDD in there along with 2 slots for 2 SSDs / 2.5" HDDs & assuming your mobo is new enough you'll also have an M.2 slot for more storage (and another 3.5" HDD if you want to use a half size graphics card).

All you have to do for the 3.5" replacing the disc drive area, is remove the plastic housing for the drive along with the nut (use some pliers to wriggle it out), and twist the power cable routing clips so the hard drive both fits in and is held in place. Someone also put a guide here - http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/...l07-ml08-ftz01-owners-club/4240#post_24446634

Now to add to this, keep in mind it is so sturdy that I left everything connected including the 3.5" inserted as above, and it survived the trip perfectly, so it's pretty great imo

Are vikings doomed to lose? The Fierdsvain--the viking faction of Prophecy of Pendor whom I have naturally aligned with--are getting torn apart one piece at a time by the other factions in the game. It's not like everyone is against them or anything either, they just go to war, lose some land, then agree to a truce.

Vikings should be OP, not the weakest faction by far... It's just not fair at all. IIRC the Nords in Native M&B were just the same.
Do you have to play a new game? I have a 50 hour gamesave somewhere which I could check again.

For Prophecy of Pendor? Yeah; it's a total conversion mod. It'll take a while to get back to wherever you were--POP has a smooth growth curve that's just as slow as Native. (I'm 20 hours in with almost nothing to show for it, except a bit of renown! And I'm playing on easy...)

Also, I think the achievement thing is part of POP, but I'm not 100% certain. It's been a long time since I've played Native M&B or Warband.
Yeah, I didn't play the PSP version, but I had heard that they practically made the whole thing a bit pointless. Fatigue also didn't happen on The Answer portion of FES. But it was a real son of a bitch on the main game as far as I recall.
P3P doesn't even have the Answer, so, uh, yeah...

I didn't realise how long they've been struggling to limit dungeon running. Just assumed fatigue in P3P was the standard, then in P4(G) they put it all on SP. P5 hits a great balance, where you can really push your party but can't go on forever.

Uraizen

Banned
Just for fun, after reading the past few pages, I'm going to point out something. ArcSys has released every game they've released on console since last gen except for Hard Corps (Konami), P4A (Atlus), and P4U (Atlus). Interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom