• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny may require co-op play for end-game activities (Story can be completed solo)

Tyson is 100% talking about Raids. "End game" as in "I've completed story and played a whole bunch of other stuff and I'm looking specifically for a super challenging and optional cooperative experience." There are still a bunch of activity types and content you can tackle if you're not looking for that exact type of experience.
Well that makes sense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
is this game monthly subscription-based? ala MMORPG or is just microtransactions?

Judging by their contract, it has microtransactions, DLC, "subscriptions" (I assume this is for value added services and/or just a season pass as legally season passes are often considered subscriptions for accounting purposes), and expansion packs.

Jarate

Banned
These games shouldn't be supported anyway since the major publishers want all games to be like this and the Division. It's a way for them to still get their always online DRM without a massive riot from the internet like we saw when a console manufacturer tried to do it. You want to stop this now before it becomes a problem? Don't buy this game.

wait what...

Maybe Bungie wanted to make a MMOFPS, because... *SHOCK AND AWE* they wanted to make a fucking MMOFPS

seriously guys, if you don't want a multiplayer game, don't get it. This is supposed to be a MMOFPS, hence you might actually have to communicate with people

also, if you really want to go through this game in 2 years, im sure there will be plenty of people still playing this game. Not only that, but we already know you can solo the campaign if you want to.

J10

Banned
All I know is every Bungie game I've ever played has been dope as hell. I ain't worried about nothin'.

ironcreed

Banned
Read this people.

Anyone wanting to run through the storyline solo will be able to, they already said so. I think there was even a thread on it the other day.

I originally thought so as well and hope this is indeed the case. I still plan to play it, regardless.

Meh, they created content just for multiplayer. I don't see the issue. Its not like the last story mission is multiplayer only or something.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Have people seriously put money on a preorder for a game that will launch in about 10 months? Unless you get some crazy deal this is silly.

ironcreed

Banned
Judging by their contract, it has microtransactions, DLC, "subscriptions" (I assume this is for value added services and/or just a season pass as legally season passes are often considered subscriptions for accounting purposes), and expansion packs.

Now this might be the coming deal breaker. If this ends up being a $60 game with a free to play and littered with microtransactions design, then I don't care how great it looks. They can keep it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Are the raids actual dungeons with trash and bosses more like wow? Or just single boss fights like borderlands?

We haven't detailed them out yet, but here's the job description we had up for a Raid Designer:

"Are you experienced in building challenging cooperative gameplay experiences? Do you have fond memories of the first time you killed Ragnaros? Can you build encounters that require planning, demand coordination, and reward execution? Do you understand combat spaces and the ways players will utilize them to avoid otherwise certain death?

Bungie is seeking talented, passionate designers to build experiences that will challenge players' thumbs, minds, and communication skills.

As a Raid Designer you will work with Designers, Artists, Engineers, and Producers to create memorable, bond-building encounters that players will scour YouTube to defeat."

:)

ultron87

Have people seriously put money on a preorder for a game that will launch in about 10 months? Unless you get some crazy deal this is silly.

They are supposed to have a beta launching early next year that preordering gets you access to.

Though I don't know why you'd actually put money down when you can just order from Amazon and not get charged till it ships with the ability to cancel up to a day or two before.

Milennia

We haven't detailed them out yet, but here's the job description we had up for a Raid Designer:

"Are you experienced in building challenging cooperative gameplay experiences? Do you have fond memories of the first time you killed Ragnaros? Can you build encounters that require planning, demand coordination, and reward execution? Do you understand combat spaces and the ways players will utilize them to avoid otherwise certain death?

Bungie is seeking talented, passionate designers to build experiences that will challenge players' thumbs, minds, and communication skills.

As a Raid Designer you will work with Designers, Artists, Engineers, and Producers to create memorable, bond-building encounters that players will scour YouTube to defeat."

:)

Holy shit... I would have applied to this position.. I have years of top 10 wow raiding experience.

Just got a chill from reading this, sounds like you guys really want to build memorable encounters as opposed to throw away extra content.

Heres hoping for a raid the size of ulduar and just as many bosses :p

(Kudos for the rag mention)

Ehh this game man...Idk the whole loot thing isnt something I find that interesting.

Gets pretty repetitive to me, why I didnt enjoy Borderlands. :/

kanuuna

For a game that is supposedly a MMO, I don't see the shocking news here. So long as grouped PvE isn't your only late game option, there's nothing here to be upset about.
I really hope they nail the difficulty on those raids, or whatever they may choose to call them. If they make the really late game stuff incredibly easy and accessible, it really won't do much good for the game in the long run.

And I dearly hope they look at something like WoW, where they don't just jack up the hitpoints on enemies, but give them new behaviour patterns and abilities. And maybe even an extra boss that's exclusive to the highest dungeon difficulty.

Looks like I need to find some more PSN buddies before next September. In all seriousness this game is pretty much an MMOFPS so i'm not surprised that end game stuff could require more than one person.

Zakalwe

Banned
Next-gen is such a disappointment. Destiny was one of the few games that looked interesting (despite being a shooter) and they really seem to be hammering home the forced multiplayer. This is completely unnecessary, even if it was an MMO it's still unnecessary, that's not an excuse. Any game should work offline, why are we putting up with this?

Sorry, what are we "putting up with" exactly?

They're offering some co-op only content as optional end game.

This means you will have played the entire story campaign solo or co-op, and now there is an option to team up with others and take on harder content.

This game has been billed as co-op focused with allowances for SP since day one. And as they will allow you to solo your way through the story I just don't understand responses like yours.

ironcreed

Banned
This game just sounds like another Defiance.

Defiance wasn't that bad, just gets boring quickly.

It also started out $60 and filled to the brim with microtransactions as well. That is ultimately what turned me away, but yes, it got old fast as well. Destiny looks ungodly, but they can keep it if it is designed around a store.

What I got from this: Some end stage stuff is so hard you will want to have some backup.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

I don't think you're wrong. Basically they designed some end -game stuff around the idea that you'll need to play in a group to survive. You're not forced to play it, but if you do, you can't do it alone.

I can't even remember the last time I played an MMO with friends. I mostly play them solo, so this is kinda unappealing. I'm still looking forward to the game, but ouch.

It sounds like you can play it solo, but just the end game will be tougher.

Crisco

Banned
Of course it absolutely should. It's supposed to be an MMO. You don't clear end game content by yourself in an MMO.

Laconic

Banned
Its good they aren't compromising their game design choices to facilitate a 'please everyone' mentality.

And it is bad that they alluded to their game design choices being fully enjoyable playing single player. Suspecting such disingenuity might be the case is actually why I did not preorder the game. Getting burning hard by Borderlands 2 taught me patience.

And it is bad that they alluded to their game design choices being fully enjoyable playing single player. Suspecting such disingenuity might be the case is actually why I did not preorder the game. Getting burning hard by Borderlands 2 taught me patience.

They really didn't allude to that at all. They've always said that regular story missions can be completed Solo. They never said that every piece of content can be completed Solo.

Bungie are not responsible for people "half listening" and making assumptions.

Quixzlizx

If they are optional post-campaign missions, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it, considering it is being built from the ground up as an MMO-like experience.

I'm mostly looking forward to Destiny as a Borderlands/MMO style shooter, so this is fine for me. Having the campaign soloable is a great perk though.

Yep, as long as some of this stuff is optional. The shitty part (as with any online/MMO type of game) is that all the best loot/rewards are behind those multiplayer bosses. Which would kind of suck.

Now this might be the coming deal breaker. If this ends up being a $60 game with a free to play and littered with microtransactions design, then I don't care how great it looks. They can keep it.

This seriously has me worried. After NBA2K14 for the PS4, I don't trust any developer with MT in their game. I will wait on almost any type of game if this is mentioned anywhere.

Game looks promising, online requirement is fine, grouping is fine (it's not like they are hiding this from us) but I have a good feeling that NONE of the reviews will mention any MT bullshit (if it has it) so will have to wait for user-reviews.

Laconic

Banned
They really didn't allude to that at all. They've always said that regular story missions can be completed Solo. They never said that every piece of content can be completed Solo.

Bungie are not responsible for people "half listening" and making assumptions.

My mistake, I guess. I was not aware that not hearing what is not said, constituted "half-listening".

kyser73

My only issue with this style of MMO is that as a father who's gaming usually consists of grabbed couples of hrs here and there during the week, and 2-3 Sat night thru to 3am sessions a month, joining a guild/party team and really being able to contribute to that group is a worry.

My other concern is how to choose between this and The Division, which seems to share the same MMO-ish elements/co-op play and so on. I suspect I'll only be able to commit to one of these on my gaming schedule.

Seriously tho, watching that demo during E3 when that giant spider-tank thing dropped in and 4 separate player groups came together to fight it I was sold on this game, an generally I prefer TPS to FPS.

I refuse to play any game that is littered with microtransactions if they are used to profit off of an overly tedious game progression.

kyser73

There is no monthly fee, but that is unfortunately where I am expecting the microtransactions to come in.

If they're optional & do cosmetic stuff rather than Forza-level ultra-grinding to get x or y, or to block main game content (e.g. storyline stuff) I don't have an issue.

BigDug13

What? Suddenly it's wrong to enjoy games alone?

I hate this team forcing crap, the cancer that came over from Facebook and mobile games. How about devs make co-op fun enough instead of making teams as a requirement for proceeding? Why are they always choosing the lazy path?

Not every game has to appeal to every gamer. And every game should not be forced to conform to your rules. This game is not for a gamer like you.

Laconic

Banned
The whole point of loot-driven games, is the endgame loot.

That having been said, if the endgame loot is in fact locked behind a wall of multiplayer-only content, then how, exactly, is such a game a solo-player experience at all? I realize that this truth inexplicably offends many a multiplayer fan, but there it is.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
My mistake, I guess. I was not aware that not hearing what is not said, constituted "half-listening".

Looking at the article, it's super clear why people are confused (and agitated). The OXM article states can't complete "missions" without playing co-op. Jones never says that in the GI interview. He specifically and explicitly is speaking about "end game activities," "the most intense non-competitive activities."

Missions, of course, heavily implies story/campaign. You aren't required or forced to play any story missions in Destiny as part of a co-op group.

Make more sense?

BigDug13

The whole point of loot-driven games, is the endgame loot.

That having been said, if the endgame loot is in fact locked behind a wall of multiplayer-only content, then how, exactly, is such a game a solo-player experience at all? I realize that this truth inexplicably offends many a multiplayer fan, but there it is.

It's not. It shouldn't be advertised as a single player experience at all.

Nymphae

Banned
“I guess at some variable, distant endpoint we are going to say, ‘Yeah, if you show up at this door, and you don’t have five friends, you’re not going to be able to succeed,’ but the core experience that solo players have enjoyed in shooters, they’re going to be able to get that, and we’re going to pull many of them into social experiences as well.”

Some distant endpoint? Or, the end of the game? If I can't beat this game solo, I don't want it.

Top Bottom