• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowverse |OT| Anime Hearthstone now on Steam

Ken

Kx2oQHy.png

Shadowverse is a class-based collectible card game like Hearthstone but more anime. This game has quite a few cards of anime girls being anime so if that's not your thing maybe try a different game.

Developer: cygames
Release dates: July 17 (Mobile), October 28 (Steam PC)
Expansions: Darkness Evolved - Rage of Bahamut - Tempest of the Gods
Official site: https://shadowverse.com/
STEAM link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/453480/
Business model: Free to play with microtransactions

Features:

A story mode for each of the characters that rewards cards and vials (dust). Multiplayer has unranked, ranked, private match and also their version of Hearthstone's arena/draft mode, Take Two. New players on Steam get to start with about 40 free packs, 20 from the Standard set and 20 from the expansion. There's also Granblue Fantasy and Rage of Bahamut crossovers.

The game has a decent tutorial. Their site also has a game guide.

Characters:

SidNKIB.png

Arisa/Forestcraft: Forestcraft may look cute, but the weak, low-cost fairies it spawns are the very definition of lethality. This class is filled with cards that activate powerful effects if the player is able to play multiple cards in one turn. Playing cheap fairies in tandem with these cards unleashes a barrage of potent followers and effects on the board, rewarding the economical Forestcraft player with overwhelming offensive power. Several variants of this playstyle exist, including the notorious Path to Purgatory deck, which is single-handedly responsible for Forestcraft being the only class to receive two nerfs to its cards.

HzLpdQa.png

Erika/Swordcraft: Swordcraft is a class that emphasizes team play. Cards that seem underwhelming by themselves unlock potent boosts for their allies, resulting in a net whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Officer-type cards receive strength from Commander-type cards, and proper synergy between the two can grant swift and decisive victory.

8FyWVmr.png

Isabelle/Runecraft: Runecraft cards are unique because they build their strength in the player’s hand. Each time a Runecraft player activates a spell-type card, Spellboost cards in their hand become more powerful. The cascade of magical effects doesn’t seem too strong at first, but becomes frighteningly powerful given the right plays. Players can even grant themselves extra turns!

Oh0a4NP.png

Rowen/Dragoncraft: Dragoncraft is all about brute strength, and getting to that strength quickly. This class actually has cards that can increase the player’s play-point orbs, which means that you’ll have access to your strongest cards before your opponent does. Dragoncraft has some of the most powerful followers in the entire game and is known for its highly confrontational style of play. If you want pure, unstoppable offense that strikes before your foe can react, take to the sky on black wings and join your angry fiery brethren.

DMdNlGe.png

Luna/Shadowcraft: Shadowcraft cards come with a strange catch: they get stronger as their allies perish. Each destroyed Shadowcraft card nets the player one shadow, which players can use to strengthen already scary card effects. One never quite knows what to expect from a Shadowcraft player. A sudden burst of ghosts may fill up the field, attack, and vanish in an instant, or an invincible duelist from years past might arrive to spell out the opponent’s death knell. Whatever the method, Shadowcraft has proven to be a formidable and unexpected contender, and one that laughs in the face of death.

2L7QUcH.png

Urias/Bloodcraft: Bloodcraft has always been a little different. The damage that all other classes scramble to avoid, it openly accepts and even welcomes. This class aims to take a little punishment to dish out a ton. Bloodcraft’s special mechanic, Vengeance, unlocks powerful card effects when the player is at ten health or below, leaving opponents unsure about whether to deal damage. More often then not, however, it is the Bloodcraft player putting on the hurt, as a plethora of storm followers and direct-damaging spells leave the opponent...bloody. If you love playing mind games with your opponent and reveling in the manipulation (and destruction!) of your own health, Bloodcraft is the class for you.

ZfLy1T2.png

Eris/Havencraft: Havencraft has always looked a little odd in a game full of ferocious creatures and stalwart knights. It all seems too posh and friendly. A flower-bearing nun, a cleric with a lance, and a moonstruck bunny girl don’t seem like offensive powerhouses. Beneath the shining facade, however, Havencraft has real and deadly power. Amulets countdown with each passing turn, eventually releasing high-octane beasts that can take the opponent by storm with their offensive prowess. Aforementioned bunny girl is a powerful self-healing killer that can totally ruin the opponent’s day if not dealt with quickly. And Havencraft is the only class to almost exclusively receive the use of the banish mechanic, allowing it to deal with many troublesome threats that other classes can’t. If a versatile yet powerful playstyle capable of sustaining itself is your thing, take haven in Havencraft!

Terminology:

Shadowverse to Hearthstone
Ambush: Stealth ("Can't be targeted until they attack or take damage")
Bane: Poison ("Destroy any minion damaged by this minion")
Fanfare: Battle Cry ("Effect occurs when played")
Follower: Minion
Last Words: Deathrattle ("Effect occurs when destroyed")
Play Points/PP: Mana crystal (PP increases 1 per turn up to 10, just like mana crystals)
Storm: Charge ("Can attack on the turn it is played")
Ward: Taunt

Other mechanics!
Amulets: Kind of like field cards in Yu-Gi-Oh, they provide constant effects.
Banish: Removed-from-play mechanic; skips Last Words effects and shadow generation.
Decking out: Player loses when they are unable to draw.
Evolve: Transforms a follower that gains attack/defense stats, new art, and Rush. The player that goes first gets two Evolve Points and can evolve on turn 5 or after, and the player that goes second gets three Evolve Points and can evolve on turn 4 or after.
Rush: The follower may attack on the turn it is played, but can only attack other followers, and cannot attack the opponent directly.
Shadow: Kind of like a Graveyard.
Traits: Similar to a tribe, some cards have a Trait associated to them. Swordcraft is the most obvious example, with its followers being either Commanders or Officers.

Card rarites/values:
Basic: Common
Bronze: Uncommon
Silver: Rare
Gold: Epic
Legendary: Legendary (appears rainbow-colored)
Animated: Golden (animated illustration, minus HS's gold foil)
Vials: Arcane Dust

Screenshots

Other stuff:

Microtransactions
The shop currently has alternate character portraits, card sleeves, and packs that you can buy with real money.

To get the Japanese voice acting:
1) In your Steam Library, set the Language to Japanese and let it update.
2) In the steamapps folder, go to Shadowverse/Shadowverse_data/StreamingAssets and make a copy of the "v" folder elsewhere.
3) Go back to Steam and set the language back to English.
4) Paste the "v" folder you copied back in and overwrite.

Can you reroll the Steam version?
Doesn't seem like you can so you would have to reroll on the mobile version and link to Steam when satisfied. New players on mobile get 15 standard packs and 20 expansion packs, while Steam gives an extra 5 standard packs.

Should I reroll?
https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/rerolling-guide
I've heard the game is pretty generous with cards though.

Card database/deck editor:
https://shadowverse-portal.com/

Tier list and rankings (in Japanese)
http://game-ai.jp/shadowverse/new-card-environment-tier-rankings/

Nice OT!

Would really like to know how to reroll on steam version, wanted swordcraft stuff, but stuck with bloodcraft and shadowcraft :<

Qvoth

Played this on the android closed Japanese beta with dragoncraft
This game's pretty fun tbh
I heard steam version is censored or something but you can uncensor it

yummypixza_

Neo Member
Played this on the android closed Japanese beta with dragoncraft
This game's pretty fun tbh
I heard steam version is censored or something but you can uncensor it

just switch back to Japanese version,
or some complicated way, backup your Japanese data under gamefolder\Shadowverse_Data\Streaming assets\
switch back to English and paste them back
here's some guide just on Steam community or reddit maybe...

Looks like there is a lot of single player content to go through which is nice. Changed the drag function over cards as that was annoying me but I'm excited to start playing.

Battlechili

Banned
This game is amazing! I started playing it and its super addicting! I've never played Hearthstone before, but I love this! The card art is gorgeous, especially. I think Luna's my favorite class.

Although figuring out how to build good decks will take some getting used to. For now I'll stick with defaults. On the bright side, I'll eventually have enough cards to make a good deck. I already lucked out and found a legendary!

Ken

This game is amazing! I started playing it and its super addicting! I've never played Hearthstone before, but I love this! The card art is gorgeous, especially. I think Luna's my favorite class.

Although figuring out how to build good decks will take some getting used to. For now I'll stick with defaults. On the bright side, I'll eventually have enough cards to make a good deck. I already lucked out and found a legendary!

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/fastest-road-becoming-competitive

this site seems like a good english resource (and the one that keeps popping up in results)

shame to see bloodcraft so low on tier list since I pulled a queen and bloody mary as my only legendaries :(

I think Tia is staple in forestcraft decks?

yaffi

Just downloaded the game and will give it a try. I'm an absolute beginner with these kind of games though.

I think I won't even bother with rerolling and stuff and just see how this plays.

vall03

Currently downloading the Steam version and decided to check my progress on the mobile version and noticed that I had 9 Legendaries and I have no idea how I got them. Heck, I even have 4 copies of one that I can disenchant/liquefy.

Anyway, my Legendaries are Merlin, Fairy Princess, Lucifer, Jeanne D'Arc, Prince of Darkness, Crystalia Tia, Gabriel, Alexander, Mythril Golem. Any of them good? Thinking of playing more of this since I'm starting to get tired of Hearthstone considering I'm only re-rolling for a non-Win quest recently. lol

Darkroronoa

Its quite good, i like it more than hearthstone because of the art, also the classes have cool mechanics and from what i have seen so far less RNG.
There is voice acting and great animated cards, its very similar to hearthstone but its of high quality.

I only got 4 legendaries from the free packs, 3 of them were ok but its kinda disappointing amount, some people get 10-11 :/
If i reroll on android a few times then i just link my account to steam and it overides the steam progress?

Ken

Currently downloading the Steam version and decided to check my progress on the mobile version and noticed that I had 9 Legendaries and I have no idea how I got them. Heck, I even have 4 copies of one that I can disenchant/liquefy.

Anyway, my Legendaries are Merlin, Fairy Princess, Lucifer, Jeanne D'Arc, Prince of Darkness, Crystalia Tia, Gabriel, Alexander, Mythril Golem. Any of them good? Thinking of playing more of this since I'm starting to get tired of Hearthstone considering I'm only re-rolling for a non-Win quest recently. lol

From /vg/

Since people keep asking about rerolls. I'm just going to repost this thing.

Good legendaries run in one or more of the viable decks of the class:
Tia
Ancient Elf
Aurelia
Otohime
Tsubaki
Alexander
Cerberus
Lord of the Flies
Merlin
Forte
Fafnir
Zirnitra
Queen Vampire
Bloody Mary
Moon Al'Miraj
Seraph
Gabriel
Lucifer
Olivia
Odin

Have a use, but are overshadowed:
Pluto
Erasmus
Mythril Golem
Fairy Princess
Jeanne

Gimmick deck legendaries:
Rose Queen
Lord Atomy
Pascale
Satan
Flute

Just bad:
Soul Dealer
Beast Dominator
Skullfane

Ken

"Anime Hearthstone" You mean Yu-Gi-Oh?

The game plays a lot closer to Hearthstone but there's also elements of YGO. Hearthstone is also probably a lot easier to relate to these days!

Got:

Gabriel
Tia
Erasmus
Bloody Mary
Lord of the Flies

on my first roll. Guess I can leave it at that?

That looks pretty good even though most of them are in separate classes.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on rerolls.

yaffi

That looks pretty good even though most of them are in separate classes.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on rerolls.

Yeah, I noticed that. But like I said, I have no idea what I'm actually doing.

I checked that "how to become competitive" guide and already am overwhelmed.

I really just should play the game for starters. Or is it not a good idea to first just try to learn the game by myself and later down the road start to get good?

Ken

Yeah, I noticed that. But like I said, I have no idea what I'm actually doing.

I checked that "how to become competitive" guide and already am overwhelmed.

I really just should play the game for starters. Or is it not a good idea to first just try to learn the game by myself and later down the road start to get good?

Maybe just try the story mode and see what class you gravitate towards and then work on making a deck for it.

Don't worry too much about the competitive thing especially if you're new to the genre.

yaffi

Maybe just try the story mode and see what class you gravitate towards and then work on making a deck for it.

Don't worry too much about the competitive thing especially if you're new to the genre.

Yeah, I might just do that. Thanks!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Decided to just go for the Steam packs without rerolling. You get 21 standard and 20 expansion packs for starting + 1 standard for making a deck + 3 standard for linking to Google Play or FB. Total of 45 packs to start.

Decent haul, I think. They all look good except Pluto, which is of course my only foil legendary haha. I'm liking that it's taken HS's simple mechanics but added more depth to it. The art looks great too, minus the sketchy stuff. It's worth mentioning that the colors are so vibrant that I literally overlooked over a dozen animated foil cards I opened. That's a good thing!

Darkroronoa

God, i did like 15 rerolls already. The first 2 were 7 legendary each with an anlmated in each roll, they looked ok, better than my steam card rolls. But i thought i could do even better since some people post those sweet 8+ legendary rolls, i thought 6+ were common.
Well all the rest were like 5 and less with absolute zero animated :'( I guess i will keep trying for some more, i might get a lucky one, hopefully it worth it in the long run.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
God, i did like 15 rerolls already. The first 2 were 7 legendary each with an anlmated in each roll, they looked ok, better than my steam card rolls. But i thought i could do even better since some people post those sweet 8+ legendary rolls, i thought 6+ were common.
Well all the rest were like 5 and less with absolute zero animated :'( I guess i will keep trying for some more, i might get a lucky one, hopefully it worth it in the long run.
Legendary drops are 1/8 packs, so you're statistically getting 4 out of your 35ish packs. Gunning for more than 6 + 1 animated is so greedy hehe.

Japanese Hearthstone eh? Sure I'll give it a try. Tutorials are for suckers though, going to jump in blind and fail and hate it and go back to hearthstone because I'm weak and crave familiarity.

(edit) the dub really isn't too bad.

Is anyone playing this on Mac ?

It worked for me the first time I started it and now hangs every time I try to start it again.

I already removed all local content and downloaded it again - upgrade to Sierra also didn't help.

Mifec

Japanese Hearthstone eh? Sure I'll give it a try. Tutorials are for suckers though, going to jump in blind and fail and hate it and go back to hearthstone because I'm weak and crave familiarity.

(edit) the dub really isn't too bad.

Nothing like HS. The game actually promotes combo play.

I played this on mobile a while ago, but then I uninstalled the game from my phone due to space issues. Now when I redownload the game on my phone, it starts me on a new game. How do I get my data back? I really just want to play the game on Steam, as I had ~100 packs already.

Nothing like HS. The game actually promotes combo play.
This game is the closest thing to a Hearthstone clone out there. If you don't think it's anything like Hearthstone, you should play some other digital card games like Duelyst, Faeria, Infinity Wars, Card Hunters, Solforge, and Eternal to see how diverse the genre is.

PsionBolt

I'm enjoying the game for what it is, but good lord is it buggy as hell. Five times now I've had to close the game and re-open it because it decides to randomly softlock. And that's not even counting the times it's softlocked after creating a new deck from scratch, which seems to happen 100% of the time!

I have other complaints too -- the forced tutorial not letting you change settings until it's over, the story mode script being a complete rewrite rather than a translation, the clunky UI that does its damnedest to force me to look at flashy effects when I want to be reading the cards in my hand, and so on -- but I could overlook them all if the game would just let me play it.

PsionBolt

Is this a bad idea if I have no idea how to play Hearthstone?

No. Hearthstone is extremely simple to play by CCG standards, and this game is only a small bit more complex than Hearthstone. There are also a ton of forced tutorials that explain everything, and a single-player campaign in which to practice each class.

Is this a bad idea if I have no idea how to play Hearthstone?

I'd say no. HS isn't a hard game to just pick and learn how most things work on a basic level. SV has a lot in common with HS but it's not required and a lot of the stuff you'll learn will come from story mode as it forces you to play against the different classes in ai battles. You'll learn the basic archetype and function of the classes as you play them and play against them in story mode and if you fancy yourself playing more, you can easily start looking up some stuff on more advance stuff afterwards.

I know Kripparrian has been playing some on his own time after his paid spotlight from Cygames, you can look up some stream videos and his youtube to get a better taste of the game.

cj_iwakura

No. Hearthstone is extremely simple to play by CCG standards, and this game is only a small bit more complex than Hearthstone. There are also a ton of forced tutorials that explain everything, and a single-player campaign in which to practice each class.

I'm not very familiar with CCGs at all, I just like the art(call me shallow). Last one I played was... sheesh, Chain of Memories? Phantom Dust?

PsionBolt

I'm not very familiar with CCGs at all, I just like the art(call me shallow). Last one I played was... sheesh, Chain of Memories? Phantom Dust?

Chain of Memories and Phantom Dust are action games, so they're not really comparable to a traditional CCG. As far as video games go, the better point of reference is to think of it like a variant of turn-based RPG.

You and the opponent take turns spending mana to cast spells with various effects or to summon things that can attack for you. You get more mana each turn that the fight goes on. Which spells and summons you have access to on any given turn is determined by which cards you've drawn at random from your deck.

cj_iwakura

Chain of Memories and Phantom Dust are action games, so they're not really comparable to a traditional CCG. As far as video games go, the better point of reference is to think of it like a variant of turn-based RPG.

You and the opponent take turns spending mana to cast spells with various effects or to summon things that can attack for you. You get more mana each turn that the fight goes on. Which spells and summons you have access to on any given turn is determined by which cards you've drawn at random from your deck.

Works for me. The VA doesn't seem bad, either.
(A story mode, really?)

Ken

I played this on mobile a while ago, but then I uninstalled the game from my phone due to space issues. Now when I redownload the game on my phone, it starts me on a new game. How do I get my data back? I really just want to play the game on Steam, as I had ~100 packs already.

I think you had to have linked it to Google or Facebook or whatever to restore the data. :(

If you are linked to google, just go to the Link button on the starting screen (top left corner second button). Follow the screen instructions to link that account to your device and it will restore that data.
Whatever you do don't hit any button that says Unlink Data as that would remove the data that you linked to your google account (I don't think that will show up if you account link from the start screen, but mentioning it just in case).

cj_iwakura

That is one damn addictive game. Mage is suffering, though.

Is there a way to trade legendary cards that I can't use?

And how can you get to 13 orbs when the max is 10?

Ken

That is one damn addictive game. Mage is suffering, though.

Is there a way to trade legendary cards that I can't use?

And how can you get to 13 orbs when the max is 10?

You can liquify cards for some of their craft cost back and put that to other cards. The crafting currency is vials.

For the 13 orbs thing, not sure. What card/scenario are you referring to?

Top Bottom