• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macworld's analysis of E3 - Nintendo/MS/Sony are "complacent swine", "out of touch"

I walked the floor of E3 until my flip-flops broke in protest at the mediocrity. When your footwear is sounding off about the originality of your industry, you know you're in a tough place.

...The fuck is this guy talking about?

The three big console developers, previously unchallenged in their supremacy, have become complacent swine, out of touch with the modern gamer
Oh and Apple are soo much more in touch with the modern gamer.

Vinci

Danish
Kilrogg said:
Weren't you saying that the PSPhone could be a decent move at some point, or am I not remembering correctly?

Yes, but that's in comparison to them launching a PSP2 that is directly meant to take on Nintendo and the 3DS. If Sony hooks up with Google and creates a Droid-based PSPhone, they might make some money. They'll never take Apple down or anything - but it's better than jumping in with a PSP2 against the 3DS and losing in every possible metric.

entremet

DeathNote said:
Cumulatively. Apple and apple owners have sky rocketed in arrogance this year.
I just don't get this reasoning. If the product meets your needs, who cares about the fans. Sony was pretty arrogant during their PS2 days, deservedly so. Did that factor in to whether I supported their platform? No. They had the games and that was all I cared about.

I just don't this kind of personification of businesses that happens all the time on the Internet. They're not your friends. They exist to maximize profits--Nintendo, Sony, Google, etc.

Glix

I just turned on my IPOD because I didn't want a derivative experience.

Man, Brickbreaker is fucking AWESOME!

EDIT - Also, when the best gaming experience on your platform of choice is emulating decade+ year old nintendo hardware, you should really keep your mouth shut, jeez.

I mean, the most exciting use I've seen for an Iphone in terms of gaming and an Ipad is the whole emulator/controller thing.... and its STILL not as good as the real thing. haha, what is that, like 800 bucks worth of hardware?

Okay, this article has to be satire making fun of their Apple fanboy image.

I mean, the only thing it needs to complete its joke status is a trip to the Valve booth to see what they'll get a port of 3 years from now.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What an insufferable twit!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
DMeisterJ said:
I do think there is a point here... There was little in the way of new IPs at E3... That was quite disheartening.
Steel Driver?

Spookie

Seriously I've said it before I'll say it again: Inside that shiny white box Jobs ships his last gen tech is a mind control chip which fucks shit up! :lol

lorddarkflare said:
He is trying to sound clever (and failing miserably).

I don't see ANY WAY how that could be considered clever. He's blaming his crappy flip-flops breaking on the quality of electronic devices around him. It's like saying "this movie sucks so much that my backpack became invisible".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But really, the biggest reveal for Nintendo is the company still doesn't know how to spend its money. Instead of investing lots of money to actually make quality new games, the higher-ups at Disney hired literally a hundred models to showcase their new 3DS.
Nintendo = Disney CONFIRMED.
The lad's gone mad.

theultimo

Yowsa. I use apple products, but I am not admitting that Apple is God. This is just a massive troll trying to get hits.

Salacious Crumb

"and oh yeah, if you want to remake Goldeneye, at least make sure it looks better than third party mod like Goldeneye: Source."

This quote is bizarre... OB source engine on PC looks better than a Wii game, Who would have thunk it?

Hmmm.

As I am sitting here reading this article on my Imac, I must say that I agree with his analysis about the big three. They played safe, they played boring, and they played it well on those fronts. Swine? Sure, why not. Corporate money suits that want to make money.

But how does any of this not apply to Apple? The article makes it sound like that Apple is better than them, or that it is somehow news. How much shovelware is on the Iphone too? Should I shat myself looking through all the crappy rip-offs shovelware titles?

If you look for the negative, you can find it anything! The dude could have just as well talked about how great it is that we have a 3D device without the need of glasses. That is amazing. His boring rant about why and how Nintendo don't understand, or whatever is just weak. I wouldn't know if they understand, but how would he? He assumes, yet writes it, like it's his f**king diary!
Comic Jumper? Child of Eden? Sorcery? Devil's Third? MGS Rising and the melons?

There was things that was cool, really. Also non-innovative things. The Halo Reach presentation actually moved me with it's sheer of atmosphere. The fratboys and hipsters are going to make me half-hate the game with their annoying and obnoxious fanboy zealousy, but I was impressed by the game.

This guy is hating, because he decided to hate, and look for the bad things. People do it all the time with Apple to. It's cool to be critical? But just to look for the flaws? Nah, I don't buy many of his arguments of justifying. And like it's any news, or worthy to report on.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
entrement said:
I just don't get this reasoning. If the product meets your needs, who cares about the fans. Sony was pretty arrogant during their PS2 days, deservedly so. Did that factor in to whether I supported their platform? No. They had the games and that was all I cared about.

I just don't this kind of personification of businesses that happens all the time on the Internet. They're not your friends. They exist to maximize profits--Nintendo, Sony, Google, etc.
Blah blah blah. "Apple douchebags" are becoming a common phenomenon because of how Apple and their supporters are acting. A lot of people have an animosity toward apple users. Take a thread last month. A member used his iPhone while waiting for food at a restaurant. A girl said something like "fucking apple users. no one is impressed by your iPhone. put it away" to her company. People insulting you for using a product that meets your needs based on reputation is horrible.

Question, how many times have teachers expressed embarrassment because of uncontrolled peers during your grade school years? You probably even got punished because of your peers at school. You're allowed to be embarrassed by the reputation your peers are making and thus projecting on you too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm really not quick to accuse someone of being a fanboy... Sometimes I roll my eyes whenever fanboyism is brought up, because some people legitimately have different opinions that may align with one company or another...

But WOW THAT IS SOME FANBOY FUCKIN SHIT RIGHT THERE. :lol :lol

I don't see what's "safe" about embracing 3D, brand new controllers, etc.

It's almost as if safe means "not using touchscreen and direct download".

Otheradam

There is a lot of trolling in his article, but I do agree that this E3 has been pretty mediocre. There isn't really any new significant IPs or games that are doing anything new this year. At least last year we saw Heavy Rain/Alan Wake and Last Guardian. There was nothing this year. I don't think I'm really super excited by any announced game coming out this fall. I'll get Fallout Vegas and probably love it, but it's been done before.

madara

I only care about games on my game portable. Screw other social and multimedia BS. How people can afford the Apple gadgets with the apple tax is beyond me.

Xav

I got an iPhone and I got some games on it which I play casually sometimes but it's got a LONG way to go before I ever see it as a real gaming device.

I actually agree with him to some extent. I'm not so much of a fan of him comparing anything to Mac or Apple so much as just agreeing with some of his points on the industry starting to feel fairly stagnant.

I don't know if I'm becoming overly jaded as a gamer, or if it's just the fact that I'm getting older, but it's becoming harder and harder for me to achieve a ton of hype for gaming these days. A vast majority of it is almost surely due to me having more important things to do with my time, but it doesn't help that almost every game I play feels like something I could have played 4 years ago while I was in high school or middle school.

"The sky is the limit" has always been the motto for gaming for me. The huge jump between the Atari to the NES, from the NES to the SNES/Genesis, to the PS1/64 era, major upgrades in PC hardware and online gaming, and then PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast. Everything was gravy until we ran into what feels like a brickwall with this current generation of systems, which seem to just upgrade and offer different options in smaller ways rather than the huge jumps that gamers have always had the privilege of experiencing.

Playing PSO in 2001 for the Dreamcast or Unreal Tournament 99 You would think that 10 years from those releases we would be something absolutely amazing...the same thing with say World of Warcraft or Counter-strike. It was an absolutely brilliant time for technology that has leveled off in a bad way starting around 2005.

10 years later instead though we're seeing games like Monster Hunter or Modern Warfare...all great games but look at how much they could use as reference and how much time has gone by and tell me that you're truly satisfied?

I don't know, maybe some of you are, me personally I'm not. The games these days are REALLY solid, but I feel like I haven't left the PS2 gen yet...I'm getting burnt out on these games.

I told my friend after E3 that I wouldn't mind seeing a "gaming lockout" not unlike sports. That isn't really plausible...for the entire industry to just shut down for a year or two and emerge bigger and better than before, but it was an interesting discussion. I've seriously considered just taking some years off from gaming and getting my shit together and hopefully having something drastically more interesting to fool around with in 2013...but I'm just too big of a gamer to ever fully let go.

There's something delicious about a guy who buys a slight upgrade to all of their Apple products every year complaining about iterative sequels.

ymmv

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Holy shit. :lol

"AS I SIT IN MY HOTEL ROOM WITH MY MACBOOK PRO"

Apple fans don't use phones but iPhones, they don't have an MP3 player but an iPod, they don't surf the internet with just any browser but Safari, they don't do their work on a laptop but on a Macbook Pro, they don't use a monitor but a Cinema Display, because god forbid people might get the impression they're just your average computer user.

Future

jim-jam bongs said:
There's something delicious about a guy who buys a slight upgrade to all of their Apple products every year complaining about iterative sequels.

Haha really. Apple thrives off the their audiences desire to keep rebuying the same shit with new tweaks. They have successfully transferred the idea of milking franchises to milking hardware.

desertdroog

Clearly they wouldn't want Steam either, if the article is any sort of metric on what games should be for the Apple colective. Time to taketh Gabe Newell. :lol

Achtius

ymmv said:
Apple fans don't use phones but iPhones, they don't have an MP3 player but an iPod, they don't surf the internet with just any browser but Safari, they don't do their work on a laptop but on a Macbook Pro, they don't use a monitor but a Cinema Display, because god forbid people might get the impression they're just your average computer user.
:lol :lol :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how much you know about typing on a MacBook Pro in an air-conditioned hotel room in Los Angeles (I'm an expert)

ymmv

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Well, I hope he has a lot of fun with his amazingly involving, epic, three-minute iPhone games.

But seriously, I just don't see it as the same market at all. The kind of experiences I'm after are not available on the iPhone, it's as simple as that. He doesn't seem to grasp this.

Apple fans believe quantity = quality. The new Zelda game is doomed because there are thousands of crappy $5 mini games in the App Store.

Gaming is an interesting industry. You would think that after having played eight Zeldas, you would be bored with Zelda. Maybe after four Halos, that's enough, right?

It doesn't work that way with games. Well, except GTA where just playing GTA3 was enough, and I didn't need to play any of the others. His point about the "problem" of developers making the same franchises every year sounds like a good point, until you actually think about it.

As far as the industry not progressing, the last step "forward" was motion control, and that has actually been a step backwards. I've never been worried about videogames progressing. Games are just as fun as ever, and the quality of the average game has to be higher than it was in the past.

But there is room to grow. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow came out six years ago. Nothing has come close to having such a unique and brilliant online experience since. That is a problem. But I don't think that is the type of progress this guy is talking about.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ymmv said:
fucking gold dude :lol :lol :lol

Retro

As I sit in my air conditioned apartment on my first Windows PC :)lol), a machine which I regularly curse at and swear will be my last PC... I have to say, I grew up with Macs; my first was an LCII and I've purchased a total of 4 apple machines during my life. I love my iPod, and if AT&T wasn't such a shitty carrier I'd probably have an iPhone.

And yet I still find these comments atrocious and insulting and they severely lower my opinion of mac users, a group I still somewhat identify with. Macworld always has been hanging on Steve Jobs' nuts, and this really isn't anything new for their publication.... except that they're taking potshots at technology companies (ok, just Nintendo, but...) I think much more highly of than Apple.

Boo Macworld. A billion shitty micro-games on the iPhone do not give you the right to bash the games industry like you're better than them. Fuckers =p

Pimpbaa

I love my ipod touch and I want to get an ipad (NOT for gaming). But this is the kinda shit that makes me not want to touch another apple product.

Top Bottom