• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOOTE

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I think they usually show the DVD versions.
Oh, well I guess it still beats the 2011 versions if you don't have the DVDs and cant afford the good releases. The prices that they are going for at the moment are pretty steep.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Gary Whitta said:
I mean the OT. I don't know what Revenge of the Sith is, is that fan fiction?
It's george lucas' tribute to george lucas. Entirely sung in a capella.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Marty Chinn said:
I've got this:

DSCF0537.JPG

Yup, same here.

OG editions of Episodes IV, V and VI ACQUIRED! Ripping them to AppleTV this afternoon, then I plan to watch the trilogy the way I remember it! Fuck Lucas and his vandalized Blu-rays. He's turned us all into scavengers, scraping around in the trash cans of the internet for our childhoods.

Gary Whitta said:
OG editions of Episodes IV, V and VI ACQUIRED! Ripping them to AppleTV this afternoon, then I plan to watch the trilogy the way it was meant to be seen! Fuck Lucas and his vandalized Blu-rays. He's turned us all into scavengers, scraping around in the trash cans of the internet for our childhoods.

Too bad there isn't a good legal widescreen version. You gotta get a fan edit for one of those.

Dartastic

Gary Whitta said:
OG editions of Episodes IV, V and VI ACQUIRED! Ripping them to AppleTV this afternoon, then I plan to watch the trilogy the way it was meant to be seen! Fuck Lucas and his vandalized Blu-rays. He's turned us all into scavengers, scraping around in the trash cans of the internet for our childhoods.
Indeed. I don't even own the original trilogy anymore. I'd like to watch it again, but I don't want to watch the horrible edited versions. I just want to go into a store and buy the ORIGINAL versions on Blu-Ray. This is so sad. =(

Gary Whitta said:

Your insane obsession with watching the "correct" version of the movies makes you like a faux-George Lucas. Like him, you seem to consider your subjective opinion of which version is better as fact.

JB1981

Jack Scofield said:
You're insane obsession with watching the "correct" version of the movies makes you like a faux-George Lucas. Like him, you seem to consider your subjective opinion of which version is better as fact.
No it really doesn't at all. But it's obvious you are just trolling so I went feed into it

Jack Scofield said:
You're insane obsession with watching the "correct" version of the movies makes you like a faux-George Lucas. Like him, you seem to consider your subjective opinion of which version is better as fact.
To clarify, I don't think there's any objectively "proper" version. Some people prefer the Special Editions and like many of the changes. That's fine. Others, like me, prefer the originals. I just wish Lucas had served both groups by doing a Blade Runner-style definitive set instead of freezing so many of us out by refusing to include the original versions. All I want is the movies I grew up with.

Veidt

Speaking of Ridley Scott.
Everyone here should purchase the ALIEN anthology.

JB1981 said:
No it really doesn't at all. But it's obvious you are just trolling so I went feed into it

How is it not similar? Lucas is obsessed with adding new things into the films. Some crazy Luddite fans are obsessed with keeping everything exactly the same, because, damn it, that's how they originally saw them! Nevermind the millions of fans who actually like these changes, they don't, so obviously it shouldn't happen at all.

It's like two sides of a same coin. Neither side respects the other.

EDIT: Gary Whitta's above post helps clarify matters. At least he understands where I was coming from.

Jack Scofield said:
How is it not similar? Lucas is obsessed with adding new things into the films. Some crazy Luddite fans are obsessed with keeping everything exactly the same, because, damn it, that's how they originally saw them! Nevermind the millions of fans who actually like these changes, they don't, so obviously it shouldn't happen at all.

Again, I don't think anyone is saying the updated editions shouldn't exist (well maybe a few of us are). All we want is the CHOICE of watching the fancied-up versions or the originals we remember. Put both on the discs and all this goes away.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jack Scofield said:

EDIT: Gary Whitta's above post helps clarify matters. At least he understands where I was coming from.

Said it before, but updates are fine when done well, and don't try to forget the existence of the originals. See Paramount's perfect job on the original Star Trek remasters.

Christopher

Gary Whitta said:
I'm gonna try to find the Laserdiscs or the 2006 DVD versions. Fuck this shit.

Gary your not going to buy the films, get your laser discs, and be gone from this thread.

I think I'm going to get both trilogy separate I hate the artwork for the big one :\

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I will say this for Lucas: he warned us.

The 1995 release of the VHS versions (the ones with the big Vader, Stormtrooper and Yoda faces) were marketed as "See the original Star Wars Trilogy... ONE. LAST. TIME!"

And at the time were were thinking "surely this isn't the final time they release these classic films....?"

But YES... Yes it was.

Veidt

Lucas is like the devil. He doesn't lie. He twists the truth.

Veidt

Anyone watch the 3 hour or so BBC documentary on Blade Runner?
Felt like they could have sold that shit separately on Blu-ray, and people would have bought it.

Chinner

Banned
Veidt said:
Felt like they could have sold that shit separately on Blu-ray, and people would have bought it.
is it that good? i'll need to check it out.

Actually what I really wish I still had is the VHS copy of Star Wars I taped from British TV when I was a kid in about 1980 and watched about a million times. It had great retro commercials for the Atari 2600 and the first Sony Walkman.

Veidt said:
Is it not the Dangerous Days doc from the blu set?

Suairyu

Banned
Veidt said:
Wait, BBC documentary? I watched 'Dangerous Days', included with Final Cut. I didn't think that was BBC? And yes, despite being nearly four hours, that shit was incredible. Didn't check my watch once. Was completely transfixed. The dude who made it was a long-time Ridley documentarian. He paced the whole thing like a proper film-maker, so despite being a bunch of talking heads for over three hours the thing had energy and driving force.

Of course, I hear that the book, 'Future Noir', is even more in-depth and fucking awesome, so I'm tracking down a copy.
Veidt said:
Speaking of Ridley Scott. Everyone here should purchase the ALIEN anthology.
I want to, but Ridley is making his Alien prequel AS WE SPEAK. Will wait for the Anthology+1 set.

androvsky

Marty Chinn said:
Too bad there isn't a good legal widescreen version. You gotta get a fan edit for one of those.
Aren't the LD transfers on the DVD set widescreen? They might not be anamorphic, but in DVD terms that only means they're somewhat lower resolution.

BocoDragon

androvsky said:
Aren't the LD transfers on the DVD set widescreen? They might not be anamorphic, but in DVD terms that only means they're somewhat lower resolution.
Also you require a TV with a "zoom" option or you're in a world of letterbox/windowbox hurt.

Most TVs do... but watching on some PC monitors and such, there is no "zoom".

Veidt

PhoncipleBone said:
Is it not the Dangerous Days doc from the blu set?
It is.
They could have sold it separately, and I would have absolutely bought it. hehe.

Yes everyone. My apologies. I should have said the documentary on the BBC a while ago :)

androvsky

BocoDragon said:
Also you require a TV with a "zoom" option or you're in a world of letterbox/windowbox hurt.

Yeah, that part bites. For people that are ripping them anyway, the fix is a simple crop away.

"Somewhat"?!
We're in a thread mainly discussing the blu-ray versions, so yes, somewhat.

It's still better than the pan-and-scan versions, which is what I thought the post I was quoting was talking about with the lack of widescreen.

Looking at the 2006 DVD rip now and honestly it's not that bad. It's pretty much how I remember watching them. I'm a big nerd for PQ and honestly I'd rather have this than the Blu-rays as they currently are.

Veidt

Suairyu said:
I want to, but Ridley is making his Alien prequel AS WE SPEAK. Will wait for the Anthology+1 set.
I bought it, and am I glad I am supporting the upcoming release. And I will buy the other film separately.
The quality and quantity won't be enhanced much further ( I honestly don't think that's even possible any more!). And honestly, I couldn't ignore the £18 price tag on the whole collection.
It's pretty much the only recent blu-ray set I don't regret purchasing.

BocoDragon

androvsky said:
Yeah, that part bites. For people that are ripping them anyway, the fix is a simple crop away.
Oh.. is there an easy way to rip it and have it be basically anamorphic widescreen?

B.K.

BocoDragon said:

That's why you watch them on PC with Media Player Classic or VLC Player. They let you zoom.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jack Scofield said:

Straw man ahoy!

I don't think anyone cares about the updated special effects. Those are great.

The problem is that Lucas keeps making terrible changes to the content of the films. No one would care if he just made everything look better. Like DrForester pointed out, everybody seems to like the updated CGI stuff Paramount put into the Star Trek Remastered sets.

Greedo shooting first is a bad content change. The stupid singing number in Jabba's palace is a bad content change. Vader screaming "no" twice at the end of Return of the Jedi is a bad content change.

And not only does Lucas continue to make the movies worse with these changes, he continues to fail to fix the ACTUAL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS that still exist in these movies. There is lightsaber stuff, for example, that STILL hasn't been fixed.

Nobody would care if Lucas was making good or even decent changes to these movies. As it is, every revision since the original Special Edition release has made these films worse, though they look slightly better.

androvsky

BocoDragon said:
Oh.. is there an easy way to rip it and have it be basically anamorphic widescreen?
Actual anamorphic (squeezed) is hard to do, but if you cut down the size of the black bars until the result is 16:9, PCs and widescreen TVs should all be able to play it back fine without having to fiddle with zooming.

That's why you watch them on PC with Media Player Classic or VLC Player. They let you zoom.
Yeah, that too I guess. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom