• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

I had forgotten how many quality of life mods I had installed. And to add to that, the characters in my pools looks so wrong without the cosmetics mods.
And no new faces for the editor either.

Jintor

fuck me i get on a flight tomorrow morning so i'll be away from my pc for about a week. I was really hoping to get a game in today... ugh.

BearPawB

Banned
First time doing iron man in any xcom (on veteran). I shockingly haven’t lost anyone yet!

I love the shadow of Mordor elements, and fighting the lost has been a tense good time

I can't believe this. For some reason when I execute Xcom 2 in my library, I don't start War of The Chosen, only Vanilla Xcom2. I have to look for the .exe in the installation folder to start it. Bye first mission with no deaths.

Edit: I didn't see that you can choose war of the chosen in the launcher. My bad.

Just got mine from GMG about 3 minutes ago. Would've been nice if it was before I left for the morning so I could start downloading. Will get to it this evening, I guess.

Finally got my fucking GMG key and started downloading, after making sure to get the full WOTC SDK.

So what's the general opinion about the old DLCs (AH + SPARKS), turn on or off?
If you mean "disable them entirely," I'd say Alien Hunters would be the one to disable on the first go of WOTC. If you mean "turn the story mission on or off," I'd say turn the story missions on, then don't do them until you get mag weapons.

Also, the devs seriously undersold the amount of code fuckery in WOTC, apparently. Can't wait to see the detailed breakdown of how they're handling class abilities now.

samoset

Played for three hours tonight really good time. Added a whole bunch of characters to my character pool, and saved a bunch.

Game Crashes

All the saves are gone, and so is my character pool! WTF!!! Not even on Ironman. This is just really upsetting.

So the performance improvements are for real. I went from running vanilla XCOM 2 at like medium/medium-low for a mostly-stable 60fps, dropping when there was particle heavy situations, to running on maximum for a stable (not 100% locked) 60fps. Granted, I haven't hit any particle-heavy situations yet in my campaign, but I'd say WotC is now giving the performance one would've expected at release.

XCOM 2: WotC It looks great and runs well. Unless something terrible crops up later, I'd say Firaxis has redeemed themselves entirely; XCOM 2 is now an enduring classic that will stand the test of time.
Copy from other Xcom 2 topic.
Will the Long War SMG, Long War Alien and Long War Leader mods work for this expansion?

No. WotC has changed everything. Any gameplay mod will need to be updated to ensure compatibility.

WotC even broke cosmetic mods, to give an idea of the scope of it.
Played for three hours tonight really good time. Added a whole bunch of characters to my character pool, and saved a bunch.

Game Crashes

All the saves are gone, and so is my character pool! WTF!!! Not even on Ironman. This is just really upsetting.

Are the saves in the "My Documents/My Games/XCOM2/XComGame/SaveData" folder (default path), or were they nuked from there as well? Looking at the save structure (Profile, Save1, Save2, etc), they'll get overwritten next time you save, so back them up if you can.

Firaxis had better fix that.

Launching the game via Steam shows the vanilla launcher. Launching via the WOTC directory produces a red screen, and then this.
c294325f1a.png

Launching the game via Steam shows the vanilla launcher. Launching via the WOTC directory produces a red screen, and then this.
c294325f1a.png

Lmao is that like an E3 build? It's crazy that they left it in the game.

But anyways, verifying the game cache [right click on the game in Steam > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Files] might fix it if there's some kind of corrupt file. At the very least it will confirm that all non-profile-related files are where they're supposed to be.

Jintor

gmg still haven't handed me my fucking key. fantastic. and you can't preload 30gb of dlc... especially if you don't get the key.

Fuck man this sucks, they're normally fine, so I can't bring myself to burn bridges and abandon the account totally, but this is fucking garbage.

J Jizzle

Sorry If this was already pointed out in this thread guys but are the performance fixes coming to the base game at all?

Philxor

Just got my key through from GMG so heading home at lunch to get this installed.

Have to admit that I have barely put two hours into vanilla XCOM 2; I found the almost-permanent mission timers and more hurried style hard to swallow. Hoping this mixes things up a bit and that I am a bit more determined to stick with the formula.

samoset

Are the saves in the "My Documents/My Games/XCOM2/XComGame/SaveData" folder (default path), or were they nuked from there as well? Looking at the save structure (Profile, Save1, Save2, etc), they'll get overwritten next time you save, so back them up if you can.

Firaxis had better fix that.

It looks like they were nuked. My saves in default Xcom are still there, but the war of the chosen folder is completely empty. I did notice that my "propaganda" posters were glitching out (older posters would become a .img jpeg like placeholder) I assumed that was a problem with the poster picture feature added to the game and not overall saves. I'm on SSD so I don't think it is my hard drive, especially when I have never had this problem with any other game. I wasn't too far in, but having to do the intro (reaper mission) again is going to be a real buzz kill.

gmg still haven't handed me my fucking key. fantastic. and you can't preload 30gb of dlc... especially if you don't get the key.

Fuck man this sucks, they're normally fine, so I can't bring myself to burn bridges and abandon the account totally, but this is fucking garbage.

Same :( Keep refreshing my account page and nothing.

Also I appreciate the cosmetic mod compatibility list on the previous page. Does anyone know what will happen to all the usual quality of life mods like Gotcha or Evac All?

Sentenza

Also I appreciate the cosmetic mod compatibility list on the previous page. Does anyone know what will happen to all the usual quality of life mods like Gotcha or Evac All?
Honestly I would advise anyone to play entirely without mods at first, but I'm also expecting to see most of the more popular mods being updated pretty quickly.
And by that I mean in the next couple of days max.

Was worried I was going to have to create all my characters over again as none of them were showing up in My Character Pool which I had in the regular game. It was a quick fix of just copying the Character Pool folder from base XCOM2 folder to War of the Chosen folder. Phew, that would have been a lot of time.

Only played the intro mission so far. Between this and Mario + Rabbids, I'm going to be busy for a while.

Only a bit into it so far (haven't found any of the Chosen besides the Assassin so far and haven't messed with the Templar unit yet) but I'm really loving what I've seen. All of the new buildings make early game a lot more interesting. Before I usually ended up going for the Gurella Tactics school with the starting money for Squadie training and to get the upgrades early but now there's a lot more early-game options to the point where I feel like there's a lot of different ways you can play things out now. I got a breakthrough early on that halved the cost of Labs so I was able to pick up one of those cheaply early on. The breakthroughs and inspirations can incentivize you to go for something earlier then you normally would or cause other upgrades to be more desirable. The Resistance Ring also add a ton of depth as well as the options you can go for with them are extremely vast. All of the new tactical layer stuff adds both a ton of depth to the tactical layer game (which was in ways lacking in the base one) as well as a lot of variety. Assuming there's a decently sized pool of breakthroughs that are possible (or it's easy to mod more in) there's a lot of unique tech you could potentially get for each playthrough.

The actual combat has been massively shaken up too. In addition to the 3 new "classes" in game the Chosen and Lost fundamentally change the missions they appear on as well. The generated weaknesses and strengths for the Chosen hopefully make each one different enough between each playthrough. Also unlike the Alien Rulers I feel like they all probably won't be fought in more or less the exact same way as each other. All the new mission types and may types shake things up a lot too, at least in the short term.

The big thing that I'm loving is just how different everything is compared to the base game. The original Xcom 2 felt like an alright framework that kinda felt a bit bare without mods. War of the chosen feels like there's 3x as many decisions going on at any given time, which has made things a lot more interesting. I'm excited to see the rest of what the expansion has to offer since I feel like I've only seen a portion of all the new stuff in the game.

Nete

Challenge mode: HOLY SHIT. My poor ass, what a brutal way to be kicked. 3900 out of 48600 points :DDD

The new Tron-ish green enemy is an epic fucker.

Anyone has tried the Advanced Options? Beta Strike sounds interesting.

TimeKillr

I'm really praying that the expansion fixes the massive constant crashes I've been having with Vanilla ever since I upgraded my PC to W10... It's the only game that ever crashes, so I'm assuming it has to do with some weirdo driver issue or something :(

ISee

Anybody else having problems with the game crashing when tabbing out of it? Never had the problem with vanilla (not even last week).

edit: NVM, seems to be a RTSS issue.

epmode

Do the performance improvements apply if you have the expansion installed but you choose to launch the vanilla game?
Anyone has tried the Advanced Options? Beta Strike sounds interesting.

Is that the option to double certain timers? I may wind up going with that one.

Nete

I'm laughing my ass off with the photobooth. My poor XCOM casualties, now they'll be mocked forever.

Is that the option to double certain timers? I may wind up going with that one.

Double health for everybody (and something like 50% extra time on timers)

Top Bottom