• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Seems like there's no extreme boaster soldiers, all my boasters just one level up compared to their actual level.

I just realized if you haven't showered for quite a while, your performance will plumnet down. Mission 29/42 is the best example to show that. The CQC button prompt window almost non-existent.

Golnei

None of that besides bugs, wormhole and female soldiers is essential to my MGS experience, or hell, even my list is non essential. Only mgs4 has female soldiers anyway.

Of course they're non-essential; but they were all included in the base game. If Konami really were the all-consuming evil people want to portray them as, they could have monetised far more of the content than they did - along with tolerating its astronomical budget and ridiculous development time; only including minor, non-invasive microtransactions in MGSV show how they're really one of the better publishers.

I just realized if you haven't showered for quite a while, your performance will plumnet down. Mission 29/42 is the best example to show that. The CQC button prompt window almost non-existent.

Kojima must have really wanted people to earn that shower scene.

J.EM1

So that's why the CQC prompts were far and few between on my recent replays of mission 29.

Phew, just finished getting S Rank in all missions and completing all optional mission tasks. Hardest bloody task was in the prologue avoiding the attacks from the man of fire. Just need to collect all the animals to get the platinum.

had fun last night going all The Boss CQC on Skulls and stuff, and then a bit of MGS3 Naked or Tuxedo action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lxL30hLvQ

the boss sneaking suit is pretty cool, and same with the soviet one.

can't wait to replay Mother Base and Diamond Dog cutscenes in the snake eater tiger stripe camo... but Venom Snake is currently a demon so it kind of wrecks the cutscenes haha

Starting to go through all the tasks to get 100%. 82% now. Started developing
a nuke
last night.

Phew, just finished getting S Rank in all missions and completing all optional mission tasks. Hardest bloody task was in the prologue avoiding the attacks from the man of fire. Just need to collect all the animals to get the platinum.

Strangely I got that one on my first playthrough even though I'm 99% positive I was hit once.

This is a random ass question, but does anyone have a higher res desktop icon for the PC version? Current one looks like ass
DWNg4yg.png

Minamu

I could use some tips on how to get that objective in the very first mission where you can't allow the Man on Fire to fire his weapon, I don't know what to do exactly, he still seems to shoot sometimes but misses me, is that okay or what? Edit: Funny how someone else has the same problem above.

Also, regarding this guy:
xYzVp9A.png

Did we ever find out who that actor (?) is?

Man, I am completely hooked on this game. The first 8 or so hours I was kind of disappointed in a way, enjoying it but expecting more. But mission 6 (honey bee) onward it just started clicking and by the time I reached mission 12 (power plant) I was sold.

There is so much attention to detail, so many little touches, and so many things to discover as you play.

About 35 hours in (18%) and looking forward to playing more.

bud

i want to replay the game, but only do the story missions (the ones that contain cutscenes).

which missions and sideops do i need to play? is there a guide somewhere?

Golnei

i want to replay the game, but only do the story missions (the ones that contain cutscenes).

If you're planning on doing that, you should probably keep in mind that any Mother Base cutscenes can't trigger on replay missions, so you won't be able to replicate that exact experience again without starting a new game. I think someone might be working on a mod to fix that, though.

bud

If you're planning on doing that, you should probably keep in mind that any Mother Base cutscenes can't trigger on replay missions, so you won't be able to replicate that exact experience again without starting a new game. I think someone might be working on a mod to fix that, though.

but... i'm on a ps4.

BadWolf

The bad news is that you have to start a fresh playthrough to experience the story again (on PC you can back up your save, on PS4 you can just create another account to start from a different save).

The good news, which I can personally confirm, is that the game is extremely well balanced around not needing to grind. My second playthrough consisted of nothing but story related missions/side ops (with next to no grinding) for over 95% of the play time. You have to do just a tiny bit of regular side ops to progress the story in Chapter 2, even then you can make them story related by focusing on the wandering motherbase soldier extraction side ops.

Haunted

Chinner made a list of the main missions that were actually story related in the previous spoiler thread, but I can't find the post right now, sorry.

I don't know how you'd skip the non-story related main missions on a new playthrough, though. I think most of them are required to trigger new main missions.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I'm seriously debating trying out all of the missions equipped with as little as possible (I think you HAVE to equip a HIP weapon, but I just won't use it). The Subsistence missions were a ton of fun.

bud

The bad news is that you have to start a fresh playthrough to experience the story again (on PC you can back up your save, on PS4 you can just create another account to start from a different save).

The good news, which I can personally confirm, is that the game is extremely well balanced around not needing to grind. My second playthrough consisted of nothing but story related missions/side ops (with next to no grinding) for over 95% of the play time. You have to do just a tiny bit of regular side ops to progress the story in Chapter 2, even then you can make them story related by focusing on the wandering motherbase soldier extraction side ops.

Chinner made a list of the main missions that were actually story related in the previous spoiler thread, but I can't find the post right now, sorry.

I don't know how you'd skip the non-story related main missions on a new playthrough, though. I think most of them are required to trigger new main missions.

now that i've finished all missions, i can't select the ones i want to replay?

haven't even tried that out yet.

say it isn't so

say it isn't so

You could make a new profile on your PS4 and play it that way; that would let you replay without having to delete your save.

BadWolf

say it isn't so

You can replay any story mission, you just won't be seeing all the cutscenes again since a lot of them happen at motherbase outside of missions.

bud

make sure to equip her with a tranquilizing sniper rifle first, though, or else she'll kill everyone.

neoism

smh we need a damn new game plus

Man, I'm seriously debating trying out all of the missions equipped with as little as possible (I think you HAVE to equip a HIP weapon, but I just won't use it). The Subsistence missions were a ton of fun.
Yeah, 100% agreed. It's great fun being dropped into a mission with basically just your stun arm.

JGLS

Hey, are you guys able to extract Skulls? I'm trying to finish the rest of the R&D Developments and I needed some Mist ones, just repeated Episode 1, killed them, and when I try to extract them, the button prompt fills but nothing happens. Did they screw up the recent patch or is it something on my end?

Ourobolus

Banned
Hey, are you guys able to extract Skulls? I'm trying to finish the rest of the R&D Developments and I needed some Mist ones, just repeated Episode 1, killed them, and when I try to extract them, the button prompt fills but nothing happens. Did they screw up the recent patch or is it something on my end?

I dunno if you can extract the ones in the first mission. I was able to extract the ones in the Code Talker mission the other day though.

DryvBy

I'm sure this is buried somewhere but what's the best method to have my materials process so I can use them? I have 180k fuel that's not being processed. I waited over 2 hours last night in my helicopter and only ended up with about 10k processed to use.

myco666

Okay what the hell is wrong with this game. I had over 2 million gmp day or two ago and that I logged in I was in red for 300k. Also almost all of my resources are online so that I can't even sell them to get back to that 2 million mark. Seriously feels like this game tries it's best to not be fun to go back.

Okay what the hell is wrong with this game. I had over 2 million gmp day or two ago and that I logged in I was in red for 300k. Also almost all of my resources are online so that I can't even sell them to get back to that 2 million mark. Seriously feels like this game tries it's best to not be fun to go back.

Did you log in while their servers were down? GMP usually deducts when you disconnect from their servers. And yeah online GMP/resources is pretty stupid.

myco666

Did you log in while their servers were down? GMP usually deducts when you disconnect from their servers. And yeah online GMP/resources is pretty stupid.

I was online and servers were up. When I the GMP was in red. Had no invasions either. There seriously shouldn't be any reason why my GMP was in red and yet it was. Unless there is something I don't know about.

Regarding FOB's
I have yet to invade someone and I'm thinking of doing it last i.e. after Mission 45 and Side Ops 150, and then restoring a safe file to get Quiet back. Would restoring a save from before I invade cause any issues or should I invade after restoring?

I was online and servers were up. When I the GMP was in red. Had no invasions either. There seriously shouldn't be any reason why my GMP was in red and yet it was. Unless there is something I don't know about.

Makes no sense for it to be in red since you do see your online GMP along with your offline one. Setting up high security of your FOB takes up GMP overtime if I recall correctly, maybe that was it? Not really sure how that works though. Try switching maps to see if your GMP changes, it worked for me once.

Bought the game last week after being on vacation all of Sept.

Should I just stay clear of these threads until I beat the game? (the pic of Raiden spoiled it for me already cause I didnt know you could play as him)

I'm on Episode 9 through 11 (already got Quiet)

Some questions though:
1. How do I keep the bond good with buddies?
2. Is there anyway to automatically let the game sort staff members to their best suited department?
3. Should I be visiting MB often? I mean I dont want to miss any cutscenes since Ive noticed a lot of them happen when you visit MB
4. Can I just ignore all of side op missions until I beat the main missions? Will they always be there no matter how far I progress through the game?
5. Anyway to disable the "Starring.." at the beginning of each episode? It spoils the episode for you by letting you know who is going to show up.

Golnei

Some questions though:
2. Is there anyway to automatically let the game sort staff members to their best suited department?
3. Should I be visiting MB often? I mean I dont want to miss any cutscenes since Ive noticed a lot of them happen when you visit MB
4. Can I just ignore all of side op missions until I beat the main missions? Will they always be there no matter how far I progress through the game?
5. Anyway to disable the "Starring.." at the beginning of each episode? It spoils the episode for you by letting you know who is going to show up.

1. Don't switch them out in the field or let them die
2. There's a system already in place to sort staff automatically.
3. You'll want to visit every so often to shower, but the game pulls you back there automatically for important cutscenes.
4. Not really - some sideops lead directly into main missions, and you'll need to do them to activate main missions later in the game.
5. There's a mod to remove the mission credits, but no way to get rid of them on consoles.

Bought the game last week after being on vacation all of Sept.

Should I just stay clear of these threads until I beat the game? (the pic of Raiden spoiled it for me already cause I didnt know you could play as him)

I'm on Episode 9 through 11 (already got Quiet)

Some questions though:

1. Just complete missions with your buddies and make sure they don't die.
2. It sorts your staff to their best suited department by default.
3. Yes you should after every few missions. It helps raise staff morale and of course showering.
4. You can ignore them but you'll have to deal with them sooner or later. There will be some mandatory yellow marked side ops later in the game which you'll have to do to progress.
5. Nope. Enjoy spoilers. :p

1. Don't switch them out in the field or let them die. Petting D-Dog on a mission also nets you a small bonus the bond level. Something like 5 pets per mission. Using their skills will also build the bond faster.
2. There's a system already in place to sort staff automatically.
3. You'll want to visit every so often to shower, but the game pulls you back there automatically for important cutscenes.
4. Not really - some sideops lead directly into main missions, and you'll need to do them to activate main missions later in the game. Also, some side-ops won't unlock if you haven't cleared another side-op in that area. If you ever grind to a standstill where they're not unlocking you might want to try clearing some. The prisoner extraction side-ops are worth doing as they're pretty Metal Gear-y
5. There's a mod to remove the mission credits, but no way to get rid of them on consoles.If you're on console just look away from the screen, the credits are finished by the time the heli touches down so you'll never miss anything.

Couple of additions.

^Thanks yall

Can't believe theres no way to disable the text at the beginning of each ep, guess ill just keep looking away as I started doing

Top Bottom