• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for NX (Console + Handheld units)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shang

They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

this sentence got me really giddy

On Demand

Banned
It would be downright difficult to release a GPU in 2016 worse than a 7870 in performance, and the PS4/Xbone CPU is not really a powerhouse. Nintendo bent over backwards to get where they ended up with the Wii U; I don't see them making that mistake again. At minimum they could release something at PS4-level for $300 next fall, and they could shoot quite a bit higher for $399.

Exactly my thoughts. They can go with with the cheapest CPU and GPU and it can still be better. The hardware MS and Sony chose to use shouldn't be hard to surpass.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't know what to do with these new info. I'm pretty lost right now in trying to foresee their "next" step.

Neoxon

Of all things, I hope I can move my digital Wii U library directly over to the console NX.
That depends on how well ARM can emulate PowerPC. ARM is literally the only architecture that can work efficiently on both console & handheld (x86 is getting there, but it's not that handheld-friendly, yet).

What people think/hope nintendo is doing = hybrid console/handheld shared library different specs etc...

What Nintendo will actually do = home console + tablet and possibly other secondary devices to play mobile games and act as a secondary/complimentary system to enhance the home console experience.

HUELEN10

Yep! I've said this all along. Keeping the price where it is isn't helping their current situation but it seems like they're already on to the next thing no matter what the sales outcome.

Wii u has 99 problems but the price ain't one.

Of all things, I hope I can move my digital Wii U library directly over to the console NX.
That is my biggest issue as well. Hopefully transferring your games will be easier with a unified account system.
So it like Sony Nintendo, just make NX play my Virtual Console games unlike PS4.

GAMERG0D

Since we're obviously getting a new Pokemon game next year for the 3DS, I feel Nintendo can hold off on releasing a handheld until 2017. A new console though... they need that out faster.

Meier

So since 3DS will be replaced next year, what was the point of the 'New 3DS'?

If this actually happens (2016 release), it'll probably be regional and not out in all countries. On top of that, they'll still be making 3DS games for another 2-3 years at a minimum. Think of it as an iPhone S version.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Iwata already said no hybrid before he died, so........yeah.

Iwata will get the last laugh when the world falls in love with the NX, somehow somewhere we will hear him laughing .. And a faint whisper of "you now understand , there is no reason to say please.. Over to you "
And we will all play and laugh and live in joy for that is the magic of Nintendo .

ironcreed

Banned
What people think/hope nintendo is doing = hybrid console/handheld shared library different specs etc...

What Nintendo will actually do = home console + tablet and possibly other secondary devices to play mobile games and act as a secondary/complimentary system to enhance the home console experience.

That's cool. My main interest is the home console.

Gabe3208

Banned
I think one of the best things they could do is allow digital 3DS/WiiU purchases to transfer over and still be played.
I hope =/

aeolist

Banned
That depends on how well ARM can emulate PowerPC. ARM is literally the only architecture that can work efficiently on both console & handheld (x86 is getting there, but it's not that handheld-friendly, yet).

uh, no. intel atom chips could easily match or exceed ARM offerings in a handheld, but nobody wants to be tied to intel because they're too expensive.

jax

Banned
Imagine the DF threads if NX ends up more powerful than PS4 and XB1.
A lot of posts that look like this from salty PS4 owners
So Nintendo is really serious about making another home console? Of course, everyone is excited now, then it will come out, NX versions of multiplat games (if they even get made) will sell horribly, those few 3rd party publishers that even decided to bother will stop bothering, and NX will again get anchored by one 1st party game every six months, fail miserably by 2018 and the search for a new gimmick will begin.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Also, a four year life for Wii U wouldn't really be that short, all things considered.

The Wii U is at death's door at the three year mark. That's a poor lifespan.

A decent lifespan is when a console's successor arrives, but it keeps on going, and lives out a good 8-10 years before it's retired.

Hiltz

I would expect NX to be in the same basic hardware power class as Xbox One and PS4, just as Wii U was with Xbox 360 and PS3. However, its specs weren't clearly superior to them, so I expect similar outcome from NX's specs as well. Also, I don't expect NX to be future-proofed to support next-gen game engines, so its basically going to support what Xbox One and PS4 support now. I just wonder if they'll be able to sell it for as low as $250.

Neoxon

Not when Iwata specifically said that he wanted to make the console & handheld "like brothers". Plus this lines up with Nintendo uniting their console & handheld divisions. There's too much smoke for the shared platform thing for there not to be a fire. This just sealed the deal.

Since we're obviously getting a new Pokemon game next year for the 3DS, I feel Nintendo can hold off on releasing a handheld until 2017. A new console though... they need that out faster.
Or they could release Pokémon Z in the summer to get it out of the way of the NX Platform. But granted, the 3DS could survive until Spring 2017 in the West.

Petrae

Wii u has 99 problems but the price ain't one.

It might not have been a problem before, but it sure is now. When a successor has its dev kits in the wild and is expected to retail channels within a year, maintaining a $300 price tag is a big problem. Very few will be buying one-- and that's a smaller number than the already tiny number who were buying WiiU before this development.

We know it is not a hybrid, but they are sharing the same library. Hence is why it is just called NX. I just hope the portable SKU has a dock if I want to play on my TV.
Guessing portable games will be maxed at 720p and console will be 1080p.

IvanJ

Banned
You think they will abandon home console like how Sony abandoned the handheld market?

Well, they obviously will not, but they should. WiiU has shown that 1st party games have a very limited audience, and without a strong 3rd party lineup that console died a miserable death.
I somehow doubt that 2K, Activision, EA and others will be willingvto dillute their efforts and make a third version of heavy hitting AAA games just to sell a miniscule portion of what XOne/PS4 versions sell.

NX has disaster written all over it, Nintendo is just too stubborn and too proud to admit that they became obsolete years ago.

FTFY

The Wii U can't survive past 2016, & the 3DS can only last until at least February 2017 at this rate.

There is no way the handheld would come out in Holiday 2017 in Japan if it comes out Spring 2017 here.

It's going to be:
-Console-
NA: November 18, 2016
EU: Late November
JP: Early December

It had better be able to beat the PS4 by a significant margin or I won't pay it a bit of attention.

"Good games don't matter to me if the hardware isn't powerful" - No offense, but I really hate this attitude with a passion. It actually disgusts me. Not calling you out specifically, just using your post as an example. It's a perfectly okay to have this opinion, btw. I just don't share it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
People forget what an improvement the GCN was over the N64 in terms of third party support. The system got pretty much every multiplatform game with only a few exceptions (GTA being a big one).

It got support because of parity.

But it also lost some because of lack of parity with mini disks and lacking buttons.

Nintendo needs the minimal set of feature parity to get support. I hope they realize this now.

Neoxon

Well, they obviously will not, but they should. WiiU has shown that 1st party games have a very limited audience, and without a strong 3rd party lineup that console died a miserable death.
I somehow doubt that 2K, Activision, EA and others will be willingvto dillute their efforts and make a third version of heavy hitting AAA games just to sell a miniscule portion of what XOne/PS4 versions sell.

NX has disaster written all over it, Nintendo is just too stubborn and too proud to admit that they became obsolete years ago.
The NX Console will likely piggy-back off of the NX Handheld in terms of Nintendo's output since software droughts were one of the bigger problems with the Wii U. The whole shared platform thing will at least solve that.

Neoxon

There is no way the handheld would come out in Holiday 2017 in Japan if it comes out Spring 2017 here.

It's going to be:
-Console-
NA: November 18, 2016
EU: Late November
JP: Early December
I meant to type Holiday 2016 for Japan's NX Handheld. My mistake.

Make this thing a handheld and a console so I can play Pokemon on my TV and on the go. And make it as powerful as the PS4 and I'll pay 500 launch day!

The Wii U is at death's door at the three year mark. That's a poor lifespan.

A decent lifespan is when a console's successor arrives, but it keeps on going, and lives out a good 8-10 years before it's retired.

For a console that was basically dead to most of the industry two months after launch? Four years is miraculous. Most other companies would have dropped a console like this after a year.

No one ever said Wii U had a healthy life lol, but all things considered, four years for Wii U is fine.

Tobor

How can it have "industry leading chips" and still be both a console and handheld? If they mean mobile chips, then how does this catch up with competitors?

We're missing something here.

Neoxon

Make this thing a handheld and a console so I can play Pokemon on my TV and on the go. And make it as powerful as the PS4 and I'll pay 500 launch day!
It won't be, Iwata explicitly ruled out the idea. What it will be is a separate console & a separate handheld that share most of the same games.

Anth0ny

It will likely be backward compatible with all Wii U games. It just makes sense.

they really, really, really need to forget the wii u ever happened.

backward compatibility would make like 20 people happy. it's unnecessary, as we can see from the current market leader.

re-release the greatest hits from the wii u with a remastered line.

jax

Banned
This thing is going to have to launch at $349 or less. Can't join mid-generation and expect people to pay more.
You have no idea how much people have spent on Amiibo. They could prove the damn thing at $400 and it would still sell like hotcakes, provided it has good enough launch titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom