• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the mechanic itself is all that bad, it's just cards like Stone Sentinel and Ozruk are really bad. Especially Ozruk, it's worse than Soggoth so why in the hell would I ever play it?

Dahbomb

bu but they've tested 10 different elemental design to find out what's fun!

agreed, it seems really bland. They were even hyping this as something completely new. I guess it is new.

Aside from the "Elementals gain charges thing", all the other ones were just worse than the current implementation.

The spell/minion hybrid version might have been interesting though. Like the Elementals could've counted as being played as spell or as a minion so you could combo with Auctioneer for example. But with current Elementals existing it would've been too weird to implement so I think they should do that with a new tribe/type of card in the future instead.

Why are we still talking about dr. boom comparisons? It's more like a twin emp power level though.

It's hard to evaluate the card (stone elemental) without knowing all the elementals shaman will have available to it. But I am confident that it's a good card if you can reliably activate it. Since it only requires you to play a single elemental and fire elemental exists, it's probably a very good card.

edit:
And for ozruk, it seems kinda good to me tbh. That could be a game winner in itself against certain decks and situations. And it's an elemental itself so it can feed your next turn. 15+ health taunt seems good.

Szadek

Elemantals have such a boring mechanic and playing them is probably just as boring.
The punshiment for missing a turn is very extreme as well.
If you have to play a 4/4 for 7 or a 5/5 taunt for 9, you might as well concede.

A 5 mana 5/4 or a 4 mana 2/6 look amazing compared to this.

I just realized that Magma Rager is getting double buffed in the new expansion.

It's being made into a tribe (so it's an Elemental now) AND Ice Rager is rotating out!

kvpaw.gif
Inb4 "power creep".

Dahbomb

I would rather have Soggoth than that card tbh. Though Soggoth didn't end up being that bad in the end so this is probably playable too but it's doubtful.

Ketch

Is old gods out of rotation with this season? I haven't played since then and I have a lot of good wotg cards, thinking about jumping back into HS to play standard and preordering the 50 packs.... but I don't have anything from kharazhan or gadgetzan... good idea or bad idea?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Priest is never going to run an Elemental deck.

Priest already got a good new elemental class card from this set, and Lightspawn is being given an elemental tag.

It could work.

Edit: Beaten.

There's also already the new Firefly neutral, and the upgraded Arcane Anomaly, Frost Elemental, Magma Rager, and Baron Geddon neutrals.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is old gods out of rotation with this season? I haven't played since then and I have a lot of good wotg cards, thinking about jumping back into HS to play standard and preordering the 50 packs.... but I don't have anything from kharazhan or gadgetzan... good idea or bad idea?

BRM, TGT, and LOE are gone in the rotation. Old Gods, Karazhan, and Gadgetzan are staying.

You know, Jade Druid might end up being dead in the water just on the basis of Discard Zoo getting even more powerful.

Like, based on what we've seen I'm expecting it to be the best deck in the game and Jade Druid can't compete with that.

bunbun777

You all ready for rag, nep, and al's sister to be making an appearance? It's gotta be in this expansion but then again maybe she'll show up later to keep the elemental thing going

Edit, therazane.

Dahbomb

You know, Jade Druid might end up being dead in the water just on the basis of Discard Zoo getting even more powerful.

Like, based on what we've seen I'm expecting it to be the best deck in the game and Jade Druid can't compete with that.
Discard Zoo is still slower than Pirate Warrior.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How do you know?
Come on...be realistic. There is no real synergy there. Why even pretend this will be a thing? They literally go out of their way to point out that the elemental specific cards will be for Shaman and Mage and we don't even know if they'll hold up there yet.

Dart

Priest is never going to run an Elemental deck.

I don't know, I distinctly remember the guy from the reveal stream saying that Priest, Mage & Shaman being elemental classes, Rouge being plant? based and all other classes dinosaur based

ZealousD

I am not convinced that Discard Zoo will be all that much better. Not yet at least. Could easily look like old Discard Zoo.

Come on...be realistic. There is no real synergy there. Why even pretend this will be a thing? They literally go out of their way to point out that the elemental specific cards will be for Shaman and Mage and we don't even know if they'll hold up there yet.

I am being realistic in pointing out that we don't know enough information yet to determine that.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
As for priest elemental decks we simply don't know enough about what is out there. The blog post listed all the old cards that are getting the elemental tag. Was Lightspawn on it?

Even with that, I doubt they are making some kind of dedicated elemental deck. But as we've seen with the Pirates in MSG, you only need a few neutrals to work well together to make it a viable part of other viable decks. So never say never. Let's all just maintain a mindset of healthy skepticism.

Raxus

We can assume that the mage/shaman quest will be tied to elementals.

It's a neat new idea but we have to see more about it first.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Mage quest is probably secrets. Shaman quest is probably elemental.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
As for priest elemental decks we simply don't know enough about what is out there. The blog post listed all the old cards that are getting the elemental tag. Was Lightspawn on it?

Even with that, I doubt they are making some kind of dedicated elemental deck. But as we've seen with the Pirates in MSG, you only need a few neutrals to work well together to make it a viable part of other viable decks. So never say never. Let's all just maintain a mindset of healthy skepticism.
According to the blog post, the old cards getting upgrade are:

Mage:
Water Elemental
Anomalus

Paladin:
Ragnaros Lightlord

Priest:
Lightspawn

Shaman:
Dust Devil
Unbound Elemental
Fireguard Destroyer
Rumbling Elemental
Earth Elemental
Fire Elemental
Neptulon
Al'Akir the Windlord

Neutral:
Arcane Anomoly
Ice Rager
Magma Rager
Frost Elemental
Baron Geddon
Ragnaros the Firelord

It should be noted that all pre-existing elementals are just enablers. Elemental decks will be defined by the cards that require the enablers. At this point we've seen 2 of those. It's not certain which class will be best at using elementals yet, even though we know what old cards are elementals.

I wonder if discolock will survive into the next expansion

I don't see why not. They added 2 legendary cards relevant to discarding cards.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
See the reason I don't think it makes sense to completely bag on every new mechanic the moment they start revealing it is this.

Here is a reaction from when they started showing Jades:

Doesn't seem any good to me. Looking at those summon Jade Golem cards they are overcosted and it starts from a 1/1. Eh. If rest of them are budgeted like that then it's shit. You have to play several of these cards to get anything.

I feel this is worse than grimy goons actually. Kabals ran with this set like a bandit.

I just wait for Savijz to reveal those shurikens which seem be a rogue weapon or spell before I go ham on this set.

Jade Lighting is totally unplayable. why would you ever play that shit. Jade Blossom is the most playable one out of those cards.

The problem is that Golems grow so slowly, you need to summon 3 first to start getting returns and that means you played 3 bad cards looking at these so far.

And here is the same person weighing in now:

They haven't revealed anything that can challenge jades yet, lots of cards left. If not then, you can expect bunch of jade cards to get nerfed 1-2 month into this expansion because so far it looks like they invalidate this entire value oriented idea behind this set. Jade were supposed to be slow, turns out they're not.

Like take the shaman 7 drop elemental guy, it seems pretty good, next to Jade Chieftain it doesn't seem all that good. Seems like a problem.

This is why I usually favor evaluating if the cards make sense in the supposed archetype, and then evaluating the full archetype at the end based on what the complete deck (as informed by the previous archetype-fit evaluations) would look like.

Going through this, I think the 9 drop is a harder fit than the 7 drop, because the 9 drop primarily favors fighting off aggro, and turn 9 is somewhat late for that.

However, it does let you potentially go face for another turn if your board is consistently better due to the mechanic, so that might make a lot of sense as a cover for your finisher. It's hard to say without seeing how many board flood Elementals there are. I agree it's the most questionable Elemental card thus far (along with Pyros, covered later).

The 7 drop let's you usually survive turn 7, which against aggressive decks, is much better timing. If you're playing it after Fire Elemental, you're getting a lot of board control to boot.

Pyros I feel I can't evaluate without seeing what Mages can use at turns 3 and 6, since you want to be comboing with a pretty powerful card to play something that substandard on curve.

The 1 drop seems to trivially fit with every Elemental deck as you can guarantee an activation for 1 mana while playing something else, like if you cast Fireball and the one drop (or the generated one drop) on Turn 5 to get a big Turn 6. The Priest Elemental is trivially good in an Elemental deck for the same reason.

Removal that buffs your mechanic has long been favored, so I can't imagine you wouldn't consider that Mage card unless everyone just runs 3 health and up minions early game. If we assume Jades exist (or other Elemental decks), there should definitely be two health minions on the board regularly.

Inherently you run anything that you were running before like Water Elemental and Fire Elemental.

Al'Akir might be a reasonable precursor to the 9 drop if you find yourself needing three Taunt plays in a row, though obviously it's hard to pull two legendaries by then.

See the reason I don't think it makes sense to completely bag on every new mechanic the moment they start revealing it is this.

Here is a reaction from when they started showing Jades:

And here is the same person weighing in now:

This is why I usually favor evaluating if the cards make sense in the supposed archetype, and then evaluating the full archetype at the end based on what the complete deck (as informed by the previous archetype-fit evaluations) would look like.

Going through this, I think the 9 drop is a harder fit than the 7 drop, because the 9 drop primarily favors fighting off aggro, and turn 9 is somewhat late for that.

However, it does also let you potentially go face for another turn if your board is consistently better, so that might make a lot of sense as a cover for your finisher. It's hard to say without seeing how many board flood elementals there are.

The 7 drop let's you usually survive turn 7, which against aggressive decks, is much better timing. If you're playing it after Fire Elemental, you're getting a lot of board control to boot.

source.gif

wiibomb

it is just 1 card needed to bust out a powerful mechanic as it is shown in Finja and Patches, we still haven't seen the shaman legendary and we still need to see most of the set, there is not enough info to know how good or bad the mechanic is, but just judging by these bits released, it isn't looking bad if there are more synergies we don't know.

ZealousD

I find it weird that Djinni and Hallazeal are not considered elementals. Weird enough that I tweeted Ben Brode about it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Weird that it's a "Played" keyword for both of those elemental cards instead of "Summoned".

If that's true for all of them, I guess those summoned 2/3 taunt elementals wouldn't ever count for elemental synergy, nor will that 4/2 Twilight Elemental from that Hammer of Twilight weapon.

Thank you for this.

Dahbomb

LOL @ Miladesn. That's some good ol' fashion blasts being served out by a mod no less.

It goes without saying that we need to see the whole set before making proper evaluations. Right now we are just reviewing them for the fun of it (and there isn't much else to do anyway).

In my experience it's usually better to give a card the benefit of the doubt rather than writing it off completely. You look more stupid when you say a card is unplayable but it is unplayable versus the opposite.

ZealousD

You know, fire fly is actually potentially interesting outside of Elemental decks. Rogues can use it as fuel to begin combos with and token/zoo decks can put out two bodies for 2 mana, but with the added flexibility of being to play either piece whenever you want. Makes it easy to fill in your curve.

In my experience it's usually better to give a card the benefit of the doubt rather than writing it off completely. You look more stupid when you say a card is unplayable but it is unplayable versus the opposite.

Yep. If you think a card could be good and you're wrong then maybe the meta just didn't break right (see Finja for a recent example of both sides of this) but if you think a card is bad and it becomes meta-defining you look like a perma-noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom