• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
Death Parade 12

dpend.gif

some of these ninja slayer character designs look like straight up hentai

That's cause the people working on character designs are hentai artists?

Cornbread78

Yuuki Yuuna is a magical girl anime like Madoka Magica.

Lol, yeah, I might just finish it as I'm almost 1/2 way through, but me previous received list is now complete, so it's time to find a new series on Crunchyroll.

Back to the original request, it was something with a good story, good love story, maybe some action involved as well as comedy, lol.

And there IS so much that is never explained or makes no sense unless you looked it up. What the FUCK is a Kuntala? The Rayhunton Code? The G-IT Corps? Why was Luin so mad at Bellri to begin with? What was Bellri even doing fighting? What the fuck was Raraiya doing? Who? What? Why? When? WHERE?

Now, I'm not going to disagree with your other points about this being convoluted as fuck after Towasanga because it really was a mess after that point, and especially when they reached Venus Globe, but almost all of those were explained in the show itself.

Death Parade 12 END

Great show, well directed and everything. Although I'm not sure if it would be better, I kind of wished it was 2 cour since there was a lot left unsaid. Just..who was that old man? Well, we already got more of this then we could've originally so I guess we should be counting ourselves lucky.

It's a bit of an odd final episode, but it's a damn good one. Still gotta sit on it for a while. One thing I didn't get was
Why did Decim's eyes and the backgrounds shatter and he gained emotions but his eyes were back to Arbiter mode after? Did I miss something?

Best OP

Spring thread will be up later today/tonight. Or whenever we pass the 20k post mark.

Need a good title.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| ???

Gonna shamefully plug my shitty ideas again -

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Good, Wholesome Home Cooking
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Foodgasms are totally a real thing
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Our Spring Thread!!
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| We Do Odd Jobs
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Cross Ange Appreciation Thread
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Space Vietnam. It's Vietnam but in Space
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Nisekoi Still Sucks

Now, I'm not going to disagree with your other points about this being convoluted as fuck after Towasanga because it really was a mess after that point, and especially when they reached Venus Globe, but almost all of those were explained in the show itself.

I think stuff like Kuntala and Rayhunton Code were explained in like, one off lines but I kinda remember them explaining Kuntala were used as food source. All the factions and character motivations, God knows who can keep track of those since they contradict half of the time.

Shirobako 24 (END)

What a fantastic show. Wow. This ride was absolutely delightful and I will miss it wholeheartedly.

I dont really have much else to say. My AOTY so far, and it will take something truly exceptional to top it.

Shirobako 24

Shirobako's finale getting a pass is kind of irksome to me. I would strongly implore fans of the series to look back at episode twelve to see what can actually be done with the subject material. The impending deadline of Musani Animation's earlier production had this light at the end of the tunnel when the storyboards were finished, but executing on them seemed an impossible task within the given timeframe. An amusing Anno parody points Miyamori to an internal solution: an under-appreciated and forgotten staffer at Musani itself who was capable of high quality animal animation. The audience is given a clear and well defined problem, and a logical solution was carefully pieced together in a manner that brought the studio staff together while highlighting the talents of individual players. Character progression naturally fits with the younger characters being able to take away a lesson from those around them while rising up to the challenge in their own way.

Even episode twelve's driving sequence felt integral to the story, with Miyamori driving on a snowy night to the Andes Chucky theme, the series that initially pushed her into the animation business reemerges as an important piece of her life, with one of Chucky's staff members now helping her out of a bind. The final product that Musani comes to create carries the animation heavy action elements while feeling like a parallel to the studio overcoming the uphill battle they've been struggling with since the series began.

Meanwhile episode twenty-four feels like lost snippets of the show cobbled together to bring things to a close. What purpose does the on location sequence serve at this point, other than to undermine the tension of the deadline itself? We check in with numerous characters to simply find out that they are doing their jobs, and the problems that do arise range from trivial (minor voice acting flub that's fixed with almost no effort), to the murky, massive, and undefined (the deadline is looming, but what does that mean?).

Instead of the production challenges serving as a point of drama there's a huge emphasis on delivering the production materials, a pointless and impersonal task loaded up on reused CG in some effort to create tension. There is no thoughtful solution here, and the pieces themselves fail to cohere. If anything the impotent action and careless animation work heavily undercut any sense of triumph for what the characters do. The in world cast can "work" as hard as they want, but as a series Shirobako is a lumpy and disfigured effort that lacks emotion in crucial stages. Anime sure does suck. Is this what all that work was for?

Episode 23 was the climactic crisis which had been slowly building over the season and had to be overcome through the smarts and teamwork of the production staff. 24 is the celebratory aftermath. The problems in the final episode are minor because they aren't the existential threats of earlier episodes, but ways to show the ingenuity of the staff.

Midonin

To clarify on Shirobako's upcoming OVA material.

Vol. 6 will include the OP and ED to Aerial Girls - "Iris in Blue" and "Angel Fly" by Rita. Vol 7. will include an OVA, already confirmed as the first episode of Aerial Girls. Though not until late June.

That reminds me - one part of the animation process was left out that I really wanted to see. What was it like creating an opening/ending for the shows they were making? Timing it to the song, the visuals they chose to represent the whole show. I love those things and wanted to see them in depth. Maybe in S2.

TUSR

Banned
still havent settled on a title for the spring thread

currently I have "Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Title Delayed Due to Production Issues"

Midonin

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Cars are Magic
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Neko Mimi Mode ~Version Rock~
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Euphonium and Mephonium
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| It's Karen Time DESU
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| PriParamageddon

I doubt any of those would be used, but a man can dream.

I completely disagree with the notion that it was a fairy tale type ending.
Ed lost his alchemy and Hohenheim is gone.
Ultimately it's not consequential because of Ed's character growth but he did sacrifice in the end. Also at the bolded, that's called a good ending when you don't leave open plot threads. For a conclusion you don't want unresolved issues.

I am actually in amazement that you actually consider that a loss.
Winry doesn't use alchemy and neither does many other characters in the show.
It's like saying your obvious Mary Sue isn't so because you tacked on one lousy trait. Cleaning up everything at the end and making everyone happy is for fairy tales. A story about the Iraq war would still have plot points relating to things occurring today. Reality doesn't have these fixed endings where the enemy is defeated and the world is saved. There are unresolved issues in every conflict and I believe it is far better to leave some characters on their quest and in their own story, rather than unrealistically making everyone's battle culminate at one arbitrary point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Seasons 2, Episode 12:

Well, that was an unexpected return and those credits.

cajunator

Banned
Lol, yeah, I might just finish it as I'm almost 1/2 way through, but me previous received list is now complete, so it's time to find a new series on Crunchyroll.

Back to the original request, it was something with a good story, good love story, maybe some action involved as well as comedy, lol.

its worth your while to finish Yuuki Yuuna.

yeah but she would never make that face :S

Well thats true. It would be pretty derpy for Saber.

Shirobako 24:
Amazing ending. While the crises to be found here weren't as bad as in the previous episodes, it was wonderful to see everyone coming together. Pretty much everyone got a chance to contribute something, and the final delivery was great, as was the final celebration. Aoi's speech really got me.

Season 2 when?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gundam unicorn 2-4
Episode 2 is just a bit slow and mostly buildup for the main protagonist that gets its payoff by episode 3, nice couple episodes there, episode 4 is mecha fighting sex, explosions and mechs everywhere, but also characters that are introduced but than are later just killed off for some reason, forgiven since it kept the hype up in the last 30 mins or so.

Saekano -How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend episode 1

Gonna be honest, started watching this because I saw a specific gif on the internet.

Tuck

Death Parade - END
I'll probably post more detailed thoughts tomorrow, but I thought it was an alright ending to a really good series. I felt the ending could have been... more than it was. And my issues about inconsistencies in the plot remain. But it ended up being a strong show overall, and certainly unique.

Moaradin

Death Parade had an incredibly strong finish. Really surprised how great this show was throughout. It's an original anime too right?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Still not locked? Good, now I have a legitimate OT to hang out in until Blood Blockade Battlefront is added to and gets top billing in the new one.

Death parade - 12

I think they nailed the ending ... A true revolution in the system was bound to left many issues open and in this ending , there is hope even if it's difficult.

Overall death parade was a show about the characters and they really shined bright.
I think 24 eps would have been better to really explore everything this concept requires but i finish this anime satisfied and ready to recommand it.

Lain

Shirobako 5-14

Tarou almost fucked that episode with his inability to rely messages between the staff. It was amazing how he didn't get how all that mess was his fault.

Seeing Sugie finally get asked to do work made me think "about time". Couldn't believe they would keep not asking him to work on stuff because of their false assumptions.

I'm feeling pretty sorry for Shizuka watching episode 14. The show keeps kicking her down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom