• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
target continuing to shelf more stuff in my area.

found the star wars battle packs, and a few of the new constraction (poe, first order stormtrooper), and more nexo knights. I'm sure they all all the remaining stuff in back, but i'm just gonna wait for the LEGO store to get stuff.

I did buy two battle packs because I had a target gift card in need of being used.

It looks good but not fantastic. I'm hoping for some ridiculous building techniques though. I might build the Ghostbusters set first though.

Going from GB HQ to the bank may seem like a downgrade though. I would build the bank first.

I'm doing the ferris wheel, then bank. Ferris wheel looks super repetitive, but the final results are one of the most impressive sets I have ever seen.

Ponn

Banned
The UCS rumour mill is fully armed and operational.

As for 75098 Assault on Hoth:

EBMEk3m.gif

They were all pretending to be choked to make Vader feel better. There is no Hoth, Hoth doesn't exist.

All done!

Over all a pretty nice little build. The cart itself is a very sturdy little beast, much better construction than the last 2-3 Ninjago sets I've built.

Really like all the new parts, especially the book. The new way they do books is so good compared to the old crappy ones that Minifigs can't even hold.

I'll echo everyone else's thoughts that it's gonna be real fun to see what people and Lego do with the new 1x1 pyramid piece.

I've been buying and assembling a few reasonably big (1000+ piece) sets over the past couple years, but over Xmas break I decided to give a modular a try so I broke out the Parisian restaurant and got to work. Holy hell, those things are a different animal from any other set I've built. I probably have a solid 10-12 hours spent building already and I'm only through bags 1 and 2. Also probably the most fun I've had building a set though, so I'll have to pick up another set or two.

Congrats!

P0STLwi.jpg

What would yall recommend for parts storage? I was thinking of getting a couple of these

Theyre 20 inches by 16 inches, and the drawers themselves are 4 by 5. So it should fit almost all types lego pieces. I was looking at others but so many of these are super small, im talking less than a foot wide. This seems like the best size. Any thoughts? Something better out there?

Those type of drawers are really good for small pieces. As others have mentioned, storage depends on your needs and how much you can spend.

I use a combination of drawers like that, ziplock baggies of various sizes, cheap food storage containers, larger sterilite drawers, and inexpensive steriliite shoe box containers. It also depends on the size of your collection. I am constantly adapting, but stick with the storage I listed above.

My storage solution 2 years ago. I didn't have the small drawers yet and I've added a lot of a certain sizeds food container. I've moved away from the latch boxes as they are expensive. The drawers are worth it IMO, but bulk pieces in one color I put in ziplock bags and in cheaper sterilite containers.

How do you people go about storing sets? I saw the storing methods in the OP but what I mean is, do you store the pieces mixed with pieces from other sets and save the booklets so that you can rebuild it in the future if you want?

A lot depends on your needs, how much money you want to spend, and the type of collector you are.

Boxes:
Only reason to save boxes is for resale value or if you are an OCD collector. Highly recommend collapsing the boxes. I don't think it will hurt resale value that much as long as you keep them in good condition.

I have so much I resorted to collapsing boxes on sets that I think will have good resale value. I recycle the rest.

Instructions:
I recycle most of my instructions because they can become bulky and heavy.
Keep instructions of high priced sets that may have good resell value.
Most instructions, I rip the cover and backcover (they are one sheet) off and toss the rest after I build. Cover lets me know what sets I have so I can look up the instructions online if I need them.

Ziplock bags are the way to go if you build by instructions mostly. I sort heavily with intention to make MOCs. Sadly, I spend most of my time sorting since I have a HUGE backlog of sets I buy for parts. Much of my free time I build sets based on instructions before I integrate them into my collective. More sorting...

Ponn

Banned
Received my second wall-e fix today (USA). This is a proper fix for the neck.

Got mine today too. Haven't put my Wall-E together yet but really nice to know I have both fixes ready for when I do. Big props to TLG for standing behind their product and not making the fix an SDCC exclusive. :p

Ponn

Banned
Ugh, I keep going back and forth on my Jan. 1st order.

Ghostbusters HQ

or

Temple of Airjitsu and Bank modular.

In both cases I get something brand new being released. They all seem like great sets but Ghostbusters HQ will be something epic while the other way i'd be getting two amazing sets.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. Just finished Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty. Just absolutely brilliant. The way the air motorcycle thing and the little repair module go together and then fit into the ship is too cool.
And also, I absolutely love the little reference to the fact that it's a ship with the pirate hat piece and pirate sword thrown into a little storage crate at the end of the build. It's the little things.

It's yet another must-have set from this Ninjago wave, in my opinion. Seriously incredible. This Ninjago wave keeps blowing me away.

Everything I own I have on display - it's a modest collection. The ziplock bag is going to be the way I go when the inevitable occurs, though.

I finally finished tweaking my display :) The only things not out are the Who and Wall-E sets and the minifig frames.

I love your setup! I might have to pick up some of those acrylic stands. Those look quite nice.

Ghostbusters HQ

or

In both cases I get something brand new being released. They all seem like great sets but Ghostbusters HQ will be something epic while the other way i'd be getting two amazing sets.

Temple of Airjitzu! Do it!

Ghostbusters HQ

or

I vote Temple and Bank. GB will be around for awhile and 2 are better than one!

Ponn

Banned
Wow. Either I was mistaken at the love Ghostbusters HQ is going to get or Temple of Airjitsu is just that great.

TheFuzz

Wow. Either I was mistaken at the love Ghostbusters HQ is going to get or Temple of Airjitsu is just that great.

As much as I want it, the interior being the majority of the good stuff and the not-really-scale garage kind of hurts it for me. The exterior just isn't interesting enough when you put aside its size. IMHO of course.

Bank is a Jamie set, so that's a win. And the Temple just looks really fun.

Maengun1

The new Force Awakens TIE Fighter is back-ordered until Dec. 30 on Amazon....but also $55. Super tempting seeing it with a much more reasonable price this soon...ahhhh

Will resist.

The love is strong for Ghostbusters, but none of us have built it to compare.

Meanwhile, Temple has gotten lots of strong love, and we know a Jamie modular will deliver in spades.

Ponn

Banned
As much as I want it, the interior being the majority of the good stuff and the not-really-scale garage kind of hurts it for me. The exterior just isn't interesting enough when you put aside its size. IMHO of course.

Bank is a Jamie set, so that's a win. And the Temple just looks really fun.

You know I didn't really think about the GB HQ in that regards with the exterior being plain looking. I mean its iconic sure but all the detail is put into the interior. I love the Haunted House set and it has a detailed interior but the exterior is just as exciting to look at. It's kind of like the Grand Emporium but opposite. I still want to get the GB HQ but thinking of it in that way does drop it a few notches down my to get list.

Thanks everyone for the feedback it really helped me make a hard decision.

Osahi

The new Force Awakens TIE Fighter is back-ordered until Dec. 30 on Amazon....but also $55. Super tempting seeing it with a much more reasonable price this soon...ahhhh

Will resist.

Bite the bullet! For that price it is a pretty good set. Looks awesome when built. Only real thing going against it was the steep price and the somewhat repetitive build

3N16MA

Banned

Some of the Ninjago stuff looks interesting but nothing has made me want to pull the trigger. Temple of Airjitzu is the first to make me really take notice. It just looks like a great display piece.

3N16MA

Banned
Does anyone know why the 10178 AT-AT is considered a UCS set yet the 2014 AT-AT isn't?

Same piece count from what I can tell. Is it the power functions?

Nitemare1

Does anyone know why the 10178 AT-AT is considered a UCS set yet the 2014 AT-AT isn't?

Same piece count from what I can tell. Is it the power functions?

Yeah the one from 2007 was motorized .
Never seen one in person but i do have the one from 2014 and the old one seems to look bigger for some reason. Not sure about the piece count. Googling the box doesnt turn up much.

Just built the Holiday Train and...it's amazing! Looks almost as great as Emerald Express (which i am a big fan of) except, it has MORE pieces, more carts, and is FREE!!

I just love these tiny desktop trains, they look great and don't take up as much space as a minifig size one...

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh god I have the fear that I get Lego Dimensions for Christmas.. my family is a bunch of enablers.

I can only hope that Disney and Lego won't get a deal and Marvel/Disney/StarWars figs won't come out for the game... if they do I will get broke so fast

I have already almost all Marvel sets for this year( that are revealed) on my wishlist....Luckily I think the SW EPVII sets so far don't look too hot

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Need some advice Lego friends.

UCS Slave I or Sandcrawler?

I want to pick one of these up this week and I like them both, but I'm just afraid the Sandcrawler is going to go away soon since it's coming up on the 2 year mark in a few months. Is it worth the $300 price tag?

Thinking about getting the Slave 1...I know its an awesome kit. Any other feedback?

Awesome build throughout, and an awesome display piece. The auto leveling wings are a nice touch too. It is also on of the rare sets to feature some detailing on the underside as well.

Just buy it. You know you want to.

U4enbmg.gif

Is the DPCI for the new Star Wars constraction sets the same as the summer sets? Would like to check Target for Phasma but don't wanna make the trip without knowing.

So I saw Brick Builder's GB Firehouse vid.

Is it really bigger than your typical modular?

I mean just looking at the piece count will answer that, it's over 4,600 pieces and most modulars are around 2,000.

It's not just gonna be the biggest Lego set I've ever built, but it's the second largest Lego set ever made.

And a much larger interior to fill out with detail. It's friggin huge.

Did I read it was the 2nd largest Lego set ever produced?

Third in terms of parts count after UCS MF and Taj Mahal. There are higher sets, but not many. Eiffel Tower, Orthanc, Statue of Liberty, probably Ferris Wheel. I don't think Town Hall is higher (50 cm).

Edit: HQ is just 36 cm high after all, but it's solid, not a pointy spire.

Third in terms of parts count after UCS MF and Taj Mahal. There are higher sets, but not many. Eiffel Tower, Orthanc, Statue of Liberty, probably Ferris Wheel. I don't think Town Hall is higher (50 cm).

Oh, it's third? In the last thread someone listed the top 5 and I could have sworn it was second. Whoops!

ghostmind

Oh, it's third? In the last thread someone listed the top 5 and I could have sworn it was second. Whoops!

Here are the top 5 for piece count:

10189 Taj Mahal: 5,922
10179 UCS Millennium Falcon: 5,197
75827 Firehouse HQ: 4,634
10214 Tower Bridge: 4,287
10188 Death Star: 3,803

Tallest set ever is probably Orthanc by a good bit I would imagine.

never mind, I guess I never appreciated how tall the LEGO Eiffel Tower is.

42"
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/10181_Eiffel_Tower

Measures over 28" (73cm) high, 8" (21cm) wide and 6" (16cm) deep
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/10237_The_Tower_of_Orthanc

"Lady Liberty" stands 2 feet, 9 inches tall without pedestal...
33"
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/3450_Statue_of_Liberty

My guess is LENGTH would have to go to Tower Bridge or Super Star Destroyer.

PSA: "Just say no to mixing bags"

ruxtpin

Banned
Built the First Order troop transport last night. Amazing minifigs in the set. And I forgot how strong those little missile launchers are... can get some good distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom