• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

TCKaos

So following up on
spartancompany.png

As of Midnightish on the 21st:

Headshot - 878 - 615 per day (-30%)
First Strike - 632 - 41 per day (+32%)
Reversal - 3,379 - 54 per day (-7%)
Buckle Up - 258 - 4 per day (+33%)
Assassination - 1,270 - 26 per day (+24%)
Splatter - 1,222 - 89 per day (+585%)
Ground Vehicle - 8,670 - 262 per day (+162%)
Marine - 12,539 - 177 per day (+95%)
Charges - 3,226 - 45 per day (+22%)

So yeah, farming in Action Sack works. If we maintain these rates we'll have splatters and ground vehicles done by the end of March, with Marines done by the end of April or the beginning of May. That being said, I wouldn't bet on that being the case, though you can wholly expect the process to be expedited.

So following up on
spartancompany.png

So yeah, farming in Action Sack works. If we maintain these rates we'll have splatters and ground vehicles done by the end of March, with Marines done by the end of April or the beginning of May. That being said, I wouldn't bet on that being the case, though you can wholly expect the process to be expedited.

An uphill battle but not impossible.

-Ryn

Banned
Chief's role in Hunt the Truth was soo badass. I was so ready to uncover an Oni plot while quelling a civil uprising and combating various ex-Covenant splinter groups jockeying for power on the post H3 galactic stage.

I'm not even mad the whole "looking for Cortana" / "Cortana is evil" plot exists. But it was woefully undercooked. I wish they would have gone with the Kilo-5, HTT political angle for H5, and let the "anomaly" angle develop as a Mysterious subplot with a big reveal in a later game.
You. I like you.

I too wouldn't have minded Cortana becoming evil if it had been well delivered. If it had been a solid slow burn of a development that could've held some weight. Instead though it was like "WHAM SHE'S EVIL BECAUSE REASONS". If it had gone with that anomaly angle they could've had Chief slowly uncover mysteries which lead him to realizing she's alive; eventually confronting her in Halo 6 only to find she's become corrupted somehow. Pack in some emotional weight there. Make us feel Chief's sense of loss after going so far to find her again.

I think one of the larger issues with 343i is their desire to set up a larger story with each game. Instead of focusing on a singular story and building out they're trying to do too much at once. As a result, their stories aren't very satisfying and the player is left questioning what the hell just happened. I greatly disliked the story in both 4 and 5. I never liked the idea of the Forerunners being any other than ancient and mysterious and they leaned heavily into fleshing out their backstory. Then there's the Prometheans who have just a terrible aesthetic that is jarring inside the Halo universe, I'd include the Guardians in this as well as they look very similar. We also went from Space Marines to Space Power rangers with the Spartans. With 6, they don't have to perform a retcon, but they need to take a step back and really identify what Halo is. Halo Wars 2 at least seems to be a step in the right direction, though I haven't beaten it yet.
Yup. Yup yup yup.

Something that strikes me most about Halo Wars 2 is the aesthetic. It really captures what I thought modern Halos would look like.

when it comes to her principal enemy, she is essentially omnipresent and omnicient.

Omniscient: She has just about all of their AI, and with it their entire knowledge base: there locations, their logistics, their tactics. Remember when the Covenant would have been happy to get their hands on just one AI? Now the bad guy has all of them. It's corny.

Omnipresent: Again, if she can be at any terminal, for all intents and purposes she her goonies can be anywhere our hero's are at a moments notice. No doubt, they'll have to come up with some currently unknown limits to her power so that they can build a game around it, but it's likely to be forced given what we know AI like Cortana are SHOULD BE capable of according established lore when it comes to multitasking and multi-locating. We see her (and BB) do some CRAZY shit before she had access to the domain. Now there's that crazy shit on steroids to contend with ...

Seemingly insurmountable odds are not inherently corny. But what makes such stories interesting is when the antagonists weaknesses and the protagonists strengths are well established and believable. That's what we had with the UNSC, the Covenant and the Flood. And I haven't seen any of that foundation being built in H4 or 5. The "plucked out of thin air" nature of this conflict and its odds is what is corny to me. Can't wait for another Dues Ex Machina to even the odds like in H4 /s

Really doesn't feel like a good "resistance force" story is brewing. I love a good, " they got the guns, but we know the terrain" story. But it appears they got the guns AND know the terrain, if the established lore is anything to go buy. I'd love for them to create a compelling story and honor everything that's come before, but I just don't see it.
All of this. Yes.

They've raised the stakes to far and now the only way I can imagine humanity winning is some contrived bullshit.

Trup1aya

Yeah I'm not doing that, I'm fine with Warzone, Swat and other stuff but I'm not playing that crap.

I can get like 30 spartan charges in a game of rift ball. But having to put up with tank world, battle golf, and Minotaur kill it for me.

It's past time for a refresh where shit is taken out.

I can get like 30 spartan charges in a game of rift ball. But having to put up with tank world, battle golf, and Minotaur kill it for me.

It's past time for a refresh where shit is taken out.

Hasn't there been at least one refresh already? To introduce race and stuff? Never got round to trying that. Actually, I never even got to play rift ball or that ground pound thing, although I really really want to...
But, yeah, really can't stand tank world anymore either. The novelty wore off super quickly. And for some reason I would always get that...

Don't think I've ever gotten one, haha. I'll be in the corner killing Marines while y'all with the hot shots take care of that.

Just checked and I've actually gotten four over my Halo 5 career! Don't think I was a part of the company though for the first three, whoops.
Also, what's up with those weapon proficiency medals? They don't seem accurate at all. Or, rather, I never seem to get those. It says that I have only one Hydra kill. Yeah, right. Don't remember the last time I got a medal for using the Hydra. (Seems unnecessary at any rate, tbh)

Detective

I think one of the larger issues with 343i is their desire to set up a larger story with each game. Instead of focusing on a singular story and building out they're trying to do too much at once. As a result, their stories aren't very satisfying and the player is left questioning what the hell just happened. I greatly disliked the story in both 4 and 5. I never liked the idea of the Forerunners being any other than ancient and mysterious and they leaned heavily into fleshing out their backstory. Then there's the Prometheans who have just a terrible aesthetic that is jarring inside the Halo universe, I'd include the Guardians in this as well as they look very similar. We also went from Space Marines to Space Power rangers with the Spartans. With 6, they don't have to perform a retcon, but they need to take a step back and really identify what Halo is. Halo Wars 2 at least seems to be a step in the right direction, though I haven't beaten it yet.

Exactly what I think.

I think 343 wants to remove that previous halo identity and create something new, AKA : Promethean, forerunners ,Locke, And so on. Halo has been in decline ever since Halo 4. No one gives a damn about it anymore.

I remember in Halo 3 days big publishers had to move their release date far from Halo, like rockstar.

Halo campaign have been really suffering from creativity and identity. Nothing in 4 or 5 gives that Halo feeling, I see them more like cod games. Like you have to press buttons during an action scene or pre scripted scene where you fall and someone grabs you. Things like that are in COD games and what not.

Character development is the worse. Nothing they came up with is interesting at all. Where as bungie they brought the Arbiter, ODST, reach and every campaign of those was great.

They have even tried to do something as the Scarab fight in Halo 3, a 10 year old game was above and beyond their standards in Halo 5. We enden up with the kraken? The most boring sequence ever.

Am trying not to be negative but the games they have released so far are far away from anything in past Halos campaign wise. And the way I see it it will get farther in Halo 6 taking more TF or COD approach and less of what made Halo Halo.

Everything in past Halo will return. Like daily challenge, Campaign scoring, veto, etc. Because it was huge mistake to take them out.

I mean , look at HW2 menu and lobby compared to Halo 5, damn.

With that said, They have created the best gameplay out there. Not just in Halo, But in FPS in general. The feeling is just amazing. The weapon and their identities. Like you would know if you are fighting against a hydra or shotgun. Simply great.

I really hope am wrong about the next campaign, What Am looking forward to is the evolution of Warzone and the gameplay.

jem0208

The domain was last "killed" when they activated the rings right?

Maybe instead of us trying to prevent a ring being activated, this time we'll be trying to activate it?

Trup1aya

Hasn't there been at least one refresh already? To introduce race and stuff? Never got round to trying that. Actually, I never even got to play rift ball or that ground pound thing, although I really really want to...
But, yeah, really can't stand tank world anymore either. The novelty wore off super quickly. And for some reason I would always get that...

Just checked and I've actually gotten four over my Halo 5 career! Don't think I was a part of the company though for the first three, whoops.
Also, what's up with those weapon proficiency medals? They don't seem accurate at all. Or, rather, I never seem to get those. It says that I have only one Hydra kill. Yeah, right. Don't remember the last time I got a medal for using the Hydra. (Seems unnecessary at any rate, tbh)

Yeah they added stuff, but they haven't taken stuff out I don't think. Really this playlist needs to be rotated a lot more frequently.

Exactly what I think.

I think 343 wants to remove that previous halo identity and create something new, AKA : Promethean, forerunners ,Locke, And so on. Halo has been in decline ever since Halo 4. No one gives a damn about it anymore.

I remember in Halo 3 days big publishers had to move their release date far from Halo, like rockstar.

Halo campaign have been really suffering from creativity and identity. Nothing in 4 or 5 gives that Halo feeling, I see them more like cod games. Like you have to press buttons during an action scene or pre scripted scene where you fall and someone grabs you. Things like that are in COD games and what not.

Character development is the worse. Nothing they came up with is interesting at all. Where as bungie they brought the Arbiter, ODST, reach and every campaign of those was great.

They have even tried to do something as the Scarab fight in Halo 3, a 10 year old game was above and beyond their standards in Halo 5. We enden up with the kraken? The most boring sequence ever.

Am trying not to be negative but the games they have released so far are far away from anything in past Halos campaign wise. And the way I see it it will get farther in Halo 6 taking more TF or COD approach and less of what made Halo Halo.

Everything in past Halo will return. Like daily challenge, Campaign scoring, veto, etc. Because it was huge mistake to take them out.

With that said, They have created the best gameplay out there. Not just in Halo, But in FPS in general. The feeling is just amazing. The weapon and their identities. Like you would know if you are fighting against a hydra or shotgun. Simply great.

I really hope am wrong about the next campaign, What Am looking forward to is the evolution of Warzone and the gameplay.

I agree. Although i didnt hate the story in Halo4 (i actually enjoyed that one) i thought the gameplay was better in 5.

But yeah, ive said this a million times already but ill say it again, they need to take the same approach Disney is taking with Star wars. Look how everything with them feels new, yet is still familiar. It looks like star wars, it feels like star wars, but its a new take on it. Theyve been doing it brilliantly.

On the flip side, if you look at the prequels, they felt nothing like SW other than for maybe the music.

343 tried too hard to make halo their own and it ended up not really feeling like old school halo anymore. It felt like a combination of all the games those developers have worked on before going to 343.

Halo needs to look, feel and sound like Halo, and that means keeping with tradition even if it means you cant have 'carte blanche' for its features and gameplay. You didnt come onto halo to change everything, you came onto it cause you loved what Bungie did with it.

343 needs to wake up asap and if they cant, well MS need to take action.

Karl2177

So following up on
spartancompany.png

Using all 3 days in the average, the projected date of completion is 7/2/2017.

Detective

I agree. Although i didnt hate the story in Halo4 (i actually enjoyed that one) i thought the gameplay was better in 5.

But yeah, ive said this a million times already but ill say it again, they need to take the same approach Disney is taking with Star wars. Look how everything with them feels new, yet is still familiar. It looks like star wars, it feels like star wars, but its a new take on it. Theyve been doing it brilliantly.

On the flip side, if you look at the prequels, they felt nothing like SW other than for maybe the music.

343 tried too hard to make halo their own and it ended up not really feeling like old school halo anymore. It felt like a combination of all the games those developers have worked on before going to 343.

Halo needs to look, feel and sound like Halo, and that means keeping with tradition even if it means you cant have 'carte blanche' for its features and gameplay. You didnt come onto halo to change everything, you came onto it cause you loved what Bungie did with it.

343 needs to wake up asap and if they cant, well MS need to take action.

They need to realize this.
You can't make it yours. You can carry it yes, but you can't make it yours and forcing all the unnecessary changes just for the sake of change and have your stamp on it. And the results speaks for itself.

Halo used to bring something new each iteration without taking out features from previous.

It was a goal to reach for others.

With the disaster that is Halo 4, it started copying others, which is pretty sad actually because it didn't have to. It already had a loyal fanbase of 10+ millions. So why? After that its downhill.

I've mentioned before, if 343 wants to express them self than they need to make something their own.

Haruko

So following up on
spartancompany.png

Not that it matters because it should be done today/tomorrow, but Headshots new per-day rate should be 923, i think.

Lom1lo

Exactly what I think.

I hate those robots, they arent fun to fight compared to the covenant. I loved the covenant missions in Halo 5, feels 10 times better.
The soldiers are the worst.

I hate those robots, they arent fun to fight compared to the covenant. I loved the covenant missions in Halo 5, feels 10 times better.
The soldiers are the worst.

When i said they should bring back the brutes, everyone here dismissed me. Now after seeing the HW2 main villain and how bad ass he is, i couldn't be more positive about what i said.

Bring back the Brutes and kill the Prometheans once and for all. Ill never get excited to fight them, ever.

Fuchsdh

They're not dumping the Prometheans. But the issue with the Prometheans has rarely been them in and of themselves, but a lack of sandbox and multi-faction battles with them. No one ever said "Sentinels are terrible to fight" because they were always used in conjunction with other enemies to mix things up.

They're not dumping the Prometheans. But the issue with the Prometheans has rarely been them in and of themselves, but a lack of sandbox and multi-faction battles with them. No one ever said "Sentinels are terrible to fight" because they were always used in conjunction with other enemies to mix things up.

Sentinels were terrible to fight, which is why you hardly ever fight them.

-Ryn

Banned
So what are everyone's thoughts on Halo Wars 2 compared to 1? I remember people being pretty soured after the beta.

crawlers should go away, forever. they look like dog ants.
Prometheans in general should go away forever really. Haven't enjoyed anything they've brought to Halo (though the Watcher/Knight dynamic is neat I'd say). I miss when the Forerunners were cool.

So what are everyone's thoughts on Halo Wars 2 compared to 1? I remember people being pretty soured after the beta.

Prometheans in general should go away forever really. Haven't enjoyed anything they've brought to Halo (though the Watcher/Knight dynamic is neat I'd say). I miss when the Forerunners were cool.

yeah i only enjoyed the watcher/knight dynamic too. but that even changed from 4 to 5.

everything else is rubbish. even their boss 7Warden was rubbish. the didact doesnt count because he was a qte lol... smh

Leyasu

Banned
If Halo Wars 2 ends up setting up the banished as the main villain for future Halo games and not Prometheans I'm all ears.

I like that idea too. It would be nice to go back to fighting elites and even brutes again.

Crawlers, as someone said above, can fuck off.

Destroy cortana in the next game with a modified (only kills A.I or some bullshit I don't care) halo blast, then set up the banished as the next galactic threat. Even the elites look like bungie era elites in halo wars2 cut scenes..

Fuchsdh

I like that idea too. It would be nice to go back to fighting elites and even brutes again.

Crawlers, as someone said above, can fuck off.

Destroy cortana in the next game with a modified (only kills A.I or some bullshit I don't care) halo blast, then set up the banished as the next galactic threat. Even the elites look like bungie era elites in halo wars2 cut scenes..

Because Blur just reused a bunch of H2A assets for Halo Wars 2. The control room is a straight copy-paste from Installation 05.

I just thought of something that could be cool if done right: so, Cortana / the Created are millions of years more advanced than any other faction currently present. If we have to fight the Created and defeat Cortana for real, there are a couple ways it could probably happen:

- plot contrivance (most likely)
- chief manages to stop her through the power of friendship and/or his space jedi powers but she still dies in resistance to it
- precursor / flood resurgence out of nowhere
- shoot at a core that inexplicably blows everything up and decommissions the guardians (second-most likely)
- evil!cortana is actually composed!didact

But, what if rather than having to wipe the Created out, Chief / Locke / Blue Team / Osiris are actually able to talk Cortana down from everything and they join forces? I mean, sure, the situation narratively looks grim right now and there aren't a lot of ways the Infinity could realistically take down the Created, but if they realigned you've got a potential setup where the factions are finally unbound by race / species, and rather than humans-versus-covenant / humans-versus-prometheans / etc. and you actually have to develop their motivations beyond being a religious hegemony or aiming to conquer the galaxy. Not only that, but you also have a setup now where you can have these sprawling interstellar factions with access to Forerunner technology and most of the know-how to manipulate them. I'd imagine the Warden would be against this so with him and the Banished you still have at least two non-Created enemies to fight, but if Cortana actually takes Chief up on "coming home with them" I feel like there's way more places the franchise could go than just setting up another serial conflict.

TCKaos

I just thought of something that could be cool if done right: so, Cortana / the Created are millions of years more advanced than any other faction currently present. If we have to fight the Created and defeat Cortana for real, there are a couple ways it could probably happen:

- plot contrivance (most likely)
- chief manages to stop her through the power of friendship and/or his space jedi powers but she still dies in resistance to it
- precursor / flood resurgence out of nowhere
- shoot at a core that inexplicably blows everything up and decommissions the guardians (second-most likely)
- evil!cortana is actually composed!didact

But, what if rather than having to wipe the Created out, Chief / Locke / Blue Team / Osiris are actually able to talk Cortana down from everything and they join forces? I mean, sure, the situation narratively looks grim right now and there aren't a lot of ways the Infinity could realistically take down the Created, but if they realigned you've got a potential setup where the factions are finally unbound by race / species, and rather than humans-versus-covenant / humans-versus-prometheans / etc. and you actually have to develop their motivations beyond being a religious hegemony or aiming to conquer the galaxy. Not only that, but you also have a setup now where you can have these sprawling interstellar factions with access to Forerunner technology and most of the know-how to manipulate them. I'd imagine the Warden would be against this so with him and the Banished you still have at least two non-Created enemies to fight, but if Cortana actually takes Chief up on "coming home with them" I feel like there's way more places the franchise could go than just setting up another serial conflict.

At this point I'd rather the current Cortana get killed and then recreated using a flash-cloned brain of Halsey or something, since that possibility was entertained in Halo 4. Our current Cortana (and most smart AI, honestly) is too close to perfectly omniscient and omnipowerful to be used in an interesting way. Having control over all Forerunner, Human, and Covenant information systems really lowers any individual faction's potential threat level and reduces the intrigue since it removes a great deal of the mystique from them. Hopefully vanquishing the Created will reduce the number of Smart AI in service and completely rewrite the laws on them given how big of a threat they pose in-universe.

Lom1lo

The weapons are nice other than that, yeah..
I think they gonna be the main enemy in Halo 6 :/

Trup1aya

They need to realize this.
You can't make it yours. You can carry it yes, but you can't make it yours and forcing all the unnecessary changes just for the sake of change and have your stamp on it. And the results speaks for itself.

Halo used to bring something new each iteration without taking out features from previous.

It was a goal to reach for others.

With the disaster that is Halo 4, it started copying others, which is pretty sad actually because it didn't have to. It already had a loyal fanbase of 10+ millions. So why? After that its downhill.

I've mentioned before, if 343 wants to express them self than they need to make something their own.

Yeah, the vision was flawed from the start
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191234/making_halo_4_a_story_about_.php?page=3

For Halo 4, he says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about.

343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional.

When change for the sake of change is a design goal, you're destined for failure.

On another note, beyond a woefully contrived plot, I see no way 343 can get out of this mess. I'm actually depressed thinking about it because they've dug in so deeply, scrapping plot line (ala halo4) isn't even an option.

The whole Ancient-Humanity thing was always stupid to me- a contrived concept that only existed so that Forerunners and Prometheans could be our enemies- and the result is a faction that has no redeeming qualities narratively or in terms of gameplay.

Lol, apparently all I had to do was complain about Action Sack to finally play Ground Pound Arena (I sucked until I realized that you can apparently hold GP indefinitely (?)) and Rift Ball. Now that was a lot of fun and I got a bunch of Spartan Charges as well.

I don't know how anyone can be optimistic about the story beyond interesting side works like Broken Circle.

343i basically has decided to just go in a totally different direction every game. We got the Didact, ancient, unstoppable super-leader with God-like- forget it, killed him in a comic. Dumbly, they establish that the Covenant remnants are not really a threat to humanity, except maybe Jul M'dama. Then we got the God-like, unstoppable Created basically out of left field, if left field was a pile of sci-fi cliches. Extra-dumbly, they also kill Jul M'dama. The Covenant is a now a total non-threat. Hm.

Then in Halo Wars 2 they said fuck it and invent an entirely new faction out of thin air.

No one is steering the ship. No one cares about connecting anything except in the most tenuous way. They are just going to invent new shit to fidget their way out of corners they wrote themselves into, or to simply satisfy their ego in creating something "new" rather than working with established canon. And then of course there's the fact the story can't really ever conclude anyway because they need to keep making games in perpetuity.

TL;DR: I don't really look forward to MC's machine ghost fighting the remnants of the pre-precursor armada with a fireteam composed of two [new aliens they made up] and a flood spore.

I don't know how anyone can be optimistic about the story beyond interesting side works like Broken Circle.

343i basically has decided to just go in a totally different direction every game. We got the Didact, ancient, unstoppable super-leader with God-like- forget it, killed him in a comic. Dumbly, they establish that the Covenant remnants are not really a threat to humanity, except maybe Jul M'dama. Then we got the God-like, unstoppable Created basically out of left field, if left field was a pile of sci-fi cliches. Extra-dumbly, they also kill Jul M'dama.

Then in Halo Wars 2 they said fuck it and invent an entirely new faction out of thin air.

No one is steering the ship. No one cares about connecting anything except in the most tenuous way. They are just going to invent new shit to fidget their way out of corners they wrote themselves into, or to simply satisfy their ego in creating something "new" rather than working with established canon. And then of course there's the fact the story can't really ever conclude anyway because they need to keep making games in perpetuity.

TL;DR: I don't really look forward to MC's machine ghost fighting the remnants of the pre-precursor armada with a fireteam composed of two [new aliens they made up] and a flood spore.

Yeah, it's really weird, especially considering how it sounded like they had everything planned out from the outset. They keep coming up with (more or less) interesting ideas only to drop them in a half-baked state.
I actually really liked Halo 4's story, both the intimate subplot between Chief and Cortana and having a strong, clearly-defined villain in the Didact (admittedly, they could've handled him and the terminals better - as someone who gobbled up every piece of lore about him though, I really enjoyed him). I really can't believe that they decided to kill him off/compose him in a comic.
The fact that Cortana literally quotes him in Halo 5's last level gives me hope that we will eventually see him again. That was just too obvious imo.

Detective

To me it looks like 343 wants to delete everything Bungie made and making something new for them self.

The sad truth is you can't. Halo was great. And with every effort to change you end up fucking it up more. In the end we end up with a game more shallow than what it is now.

I just hope MS will take some action before its to late.

link1201

To me it looks like 343 wants to delete everything Bungie made and making something new for them self.

The sad truth is you can't. Halo was great. And with every effort to change you end up fucking it up more. In the end we end up with a game more shallow than what it is now.

I just hope MS will take some action before its to late.
I'd be very happy if they went back to basics.

Yeah, it's really weird, especially considering how it sounded like they had everything planned out from the outset. They keep coming up with (more or less) interesting ideas only to drop them in a half-baked state.
I actually really liked Halo 4's story, both the intimate subplot between Chief and Cortana and having a strong, clearly-defined villain in the Didact (admittedly, they could've handled him and the terminals better - as someone who gobbled up every piece of lore about him though, I really enjoyed him). I really can't believe that they decided to kill him off/compose him in a comic.
The fact that Cortana literally quotes him in Halo 5's last level gives me hope that we will eventually see him again. That was just too obvious imo.

what did she quote of him? im interested

343i basically has decided to just go in a totally different direction every game. We got the Didact, ancient, unstoppable super-leader with God-like- forget it, killed him in a comic. Dumbly, they establish that the Covenant remnants are not really a threat to humanity, except maybe Jul M'dama. Then we got the God-like, unstoppable Created basically out of left field, if left field was a pile of sci-fi cliches. Extra-dumbly, they also kill Jul M'dama. The Covenant is a now a total non-threat. Hm.

Sounds like you're conflating writing issues.

Top Bottom