• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In conversation with WSJ

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/05...r&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer94b3f

Microsoft’s Mattrick says he doesn’t think compatibility is really a problem. He said only 5% of customers play older games on a new videogame system anyway, so spending time and money to develop technology to allow them to play older games isn’t worth it.

“If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards,” he said.

Social media research firm Fizziology said its surveys of potential customers before the Xbox event showed 12% of them would be unhappy if there wasn’t backwards compatibility.

Sony said it is working to make its gaming system offer customers a way to play older games made for the PlayStation 3 (and earlier) by streaming all the information from servers. Microsoft indicated it isn’t planning to offer that type of service.

The logic: If you're playing old games, you aren't buying our new games!

Expanding on this, Microsoft plans on making the 360 relevant for years according to another article... So they WANT you to have 2 seperate microsoft consoles to get all of the benefits... Nothing like competing against yourself.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Terrible phrasing, but otherwise I agree with him. I quickly learned Backwards compatibility didn't influence my choice of a gaming console when I only picked up a next gen system after the PS3 dropped it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Social media research firm Fizziology said its surveys of potential customers before the Xbox event showed 12% of them would be unhappy if there wasn’t backwards compatibility.

Did you survey them about any of your other 'features'?

DBT85

Terrible phrasing, but otherwise I agree with him. I quickly learned Backwards compatibility didn't influence my choice of a gaming console when I only picked up a next gen system after the PS3 dropped it.

I agree with you. BC isn't something I care about. If it was there then great, but it doesn't influence my decisions at all. even if one had it and one didn't.

Clearly Sony and Microsoft have more data about BC usage than we do.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I do agree. The phrase is horrible, shades of 'rumble is a last gen feature', but BC isn't sooo important IMO.

I think the semi-confirmation that they're not planning streaming for legacy games is note worthy though.

Yet Henshaw said this:

Henshaw: We haven't shared any of those details yet. The key thing to bear in mind is that in the coming generation, obviously retail sales are going to play a huge part in that ecosystem, and people will continue to buy shiny discs. But increasingly, content sales are going to happen online. That's what Xbox Live and the Arcade investments on 360 have all been leaning towards, and Xbox One is really going to take that to the next level. The entire content portfolio will be available as well.

What a joke. MS is ALL OVER THE PLACE right now.

Expanding on this, Microsoft plans on making the 360 relevant for years according to another article... So they WANT you to have 2 seperate microsoft consoles to get all of the benefits... Nothing like competing against yourself.

Mazzo

I've used my Wii to play Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader just yesterday. Backwards compatibility is a very good feature.

UberTag

Why would we ever want to play Grand Theft Auto V when these new systems launch? That's just backwards.
Why would we want to trade in our old Xbox 360s when this new Xbox... built from the ground up to be the "one solution to access all of our media and content"... is in our homes?

Ah well, at least the online & digital license wizards at Nintendo were able to make backwards compatibility a reality with the Wii U.

Retro

Microsoft's next console is backwards compatible, everyone is turning their backs towards it.
JUWnj.gif

Lunar15

In the minority here, but yeah I don't see a huge deal in backwards compatibility. I do understand why people do get upset though.

Interesting, they weren't saying this when the 360 was revealed. Didn't they tout its BC features over the PS3's lack thereof at one point? Maybe I'm remembering things wrong.

I guess times change.

Gadirok

I've always kind of agreed with this.

Just keep your old shit - problem solved. I've done it since the NES days.

Prepare an influx of replies where people say they prefer only plugging in one "box".

Mattrick came out off here, but I never saw the point in BC besides trading in your console to save $80 on your new console which I don't think is really worth it.

My friend is more concerned about BC with PS4 than me and he has a launch day unit. He hardly ever plays PS2 games on it unless I come over.

harSon

Banned
Stupid way of saying it, but it's the same position that Sony holds (I disagree with it completely) and it's really dumb to pile on Microsoft for it.

Akira_83

Banned
out of all the issues that plague Xbox One, this is not one

keep your 360 around if its an issue

thats what i do

unless your living at home with your parents, you should have no need to sell the current system to afford the new one (and if so you should reconsider your hobbies) and space should not be an issue as the 360 isnt that huge

i never understood the need for BC

i want my next gen systems completely removed from current gen, i want to know nothing is compromised just to run 8 year old games

Deku Tree

But by that point in the PS3 lifecycle it had tons of games to play.

The stats are asking the wrong question. It's not what percent of gamers care about BC. They need to ask the question what percent of early adopters care about BC. What they need is early adopters.

BC is something I've never understood. I don't buy new consoles to play old games, I can keep my old console hooked up if I want to do that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
out of all the issues that plague Xbox One, this is not one

keep your 360 around if its an issue

thats what i do

unless your living at home with your parents, you should have no need to sell the current system to afford the new one (and if so you should reconsider your hobbies) and space should not be an issue as the 360 isnt that huge

i never understood the need for BC

i want my next gen systems completely removed from current gen, i want to know nothing is compromised just to run 8 year old games
Well, that is true. The xbox 360 is known for its long life span.

Alrus

I don't know why, I always disliked Mattrick >.> Probably the aura of smugness that emanates from him.

I like that he's pretty much saying "screw everyone who bought stuff for XBLA".

Mrbob

I can imagine this statement being stated in smug Mattrick voice too. What a horrible choice of words. What the heck is going on at MS recently.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'll agree with him. Why would you buy a new console to play old games. Just keep your old console and move on.

I remember there was a PS4 thread asking if BC was a big deal the majority of the thread said no...so seeing the results of some comments here lol

kodt

Banned

Yup, no-one wants to hear the truth though. If you tell them it really isn't a big deal they stick their fingers in their ears and just keep yelling that BC is the most important thing ever.

I think people vastly overestimate how much they will even use BC.

Top Bottom