• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Seik

Banned
How do you do the SD method? I have a reader but it doesn't work half the time, I think I just got a cheaply manufactured one because I see various different devices pop up on ebay. I don't see the version I got anymore.

I never tried to SD method myself, only BBA, but the people from the dumpcast forum don't seems to have problems with the SD method, it gives the exact same results than the BBA method. Maybe you should try and buy a new one on Ebay.

Gotta love nod to Bruce Willis:

Of course the original Dynamite Cop was Die Hard Arcade in most parts of the world.

Dynamite Deka's cover, its like, litterally Bruce Willis.
dynamitedekaerq14.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I JUST fixed a Dreamcast with that problem 2 days ago, and I'm a moron! It's very easy. Now my DC runs like a champ!

BocoDragon

What is the best way to play my legit Japanese games on a US Dreamcast? I can just burn a boot disc, right? What would everyone recommend?

kunonabi

What is the best way to play my legit Japanese games on a US Dreamcast? I can just burn a boot disc, right? What would everyone recommend?

Personally, I suggest the gameshark cdx. It has better compatibility and save space as well. There were couple of things a I couldn't play with a boot disc so I stopped using them.

kunonabi

Just got home for break so I finally have the chance to play Cosmic Smash for the first time. I'm also going to test some other ebay pickups in Metal Wolf and Interlude.

I'm also going to try and finish Tomb Raider Chronicles to get rid of the awful aftertaste from the reboot.

Started another replay of Shenmue yesterday, gonna beat it and Shenmue II back to back.

Also been replaying MSR, such an awesome game and it makes me sad to think PGR is dead.

Been replaying F355 Challenge a lot too, still as mercilessly difficult and addictive as I remember, but it also reminding me of how super sensitive the DC's analog stick is. @_@

Picked up a Dreamcast on eBay the other week for £16.62 the seller had it listed as a SAGA Dreamcast

Managed to tune it on the RF lead, my god the games looked awful! Have ordered a VGA box for it now so will look forward to being able to enjoy the games.

Ug1xnHn.jpg

Congrats, it's also worth investing in an RGB SCART cable for your DC (big improvement over the RF Unit) as not all games as VGA compatible, also keep in kind, games saved in VGA mode cannot be played using the other cables, as they are saved in a slightly different format on the memory card.

Congrats, it's also worth investing in an RGB SCART cable for your DC (big improvement over the RF Unit) as not all games as VGA compatible, also keep in kind, games saved in VGA mode cannot be played using the other cables, as they are saved in a slightly different format on the memory card.

Would I be better with an S-Video connection or SCART? IIRC when I used S-Video on my PS2 it was a better picture than via SCART.

Would I be better with an S-Video connection or SCART? IIRC when I used S-Video on my PS2 it was a better picture than via SCART.

No idea, look up some comparison videos, I don't have an S-Video cable for my DC so can't say myself.

But that said from what I've found out through some googling, the general consenss is that for the DC it is inferior to the RGB SCART cable.

But avoid 3rd party SCART/S-Video cables like the plague, they can be shoddy as hell, try and get official SEGA ones where you can.

The hierarchy of video quality would be RGB > YPbPr (component) > S-Video > composite > RF.

SCART is a type of connection, not necessarily a color space. SCART is a common connection for RGB in Europe, but not all SCART connections are RGB. There are SCART connections on TVs that only carry a composite signal, which is worse than S-Video. It sounds like your TV was setup with composite video over SCART.

That said, I imagine an RGB SCART setup would only be worthwhile for low-res games. The vast majority of DC games would actually look best over VGA.

This has been bugging me recently, I never got around to beating Headhunter, I got stuck at the docks level.

After my Shenmue playthroughs I'm gonna resolve myself to beating it finally.

So, opinions on the Dreamcast King of Fighters games? Which are the essentials? Seems like most people prefer 99 Dream Match (aka KoF 98).

kunonabi

So, opinions on the Dreamcast King of Fighters games? Which are the essentials? Seems like most people prefer 99 Dream Match (aka KoF 98).

I know 99DM, 99Evo, and 2k2 aren't arcade perfect but 99DM was the go-to fighter for my crew back in the day anyway. 2k2 is awesome but I don't care for the DC port much at all.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

That's because you were using a composite Scart which is the equivalent of the yellow (video) and white+red (audio) cables. You need RGB Scart, since composite gives you awful picture quality.

It goes like this:

HDMI > RGBHV > Component YCbCr = VGA > RGB Scart > S-Video > Composite Scart = Composite cables > RF

HDMI, RGBHV, Component YCbCr (the blu, green and red cables for video + white/red for analog audio and/or optical figital audio out in some cases) and VGA are capable of outputting progressive (better) signals.

For Sega Dreamcast you should go VGA Box for every game that supports VGA output and RGB Scart for everything else.

Dash Kappei

So wait, there's a way to play Gunbird 2 and Mars Matrix via the VGA Box now through a new(?) version of Utopia?!

Anybody have any suggestions for a VGA cable under 40 dollars (shipping included) that will deliver in approximately 2 weeks or less (I live on east coast USA)?

I'm currently in the process of having a high-quality custom Shenmue paintjob done on a Dreamcast to do my annual Shenmue playthrough on.

I'd love to experience it in VGA quality for the first time.

So wait, there's a way to play Gunbird 2 and Mars Matrix via the VGA Box now through a new(?) version of Utopia?!

I've always played Mars Matrix through the VGA box. Would be interested in a Gunbird 2 option, though. Do you have a link to an NFO or forum thread or something?

I used to do the TV/VGA switch trick to run Gunbird 2 back in the day. I mean, the game "worked", but shadows were messed up and there was a bunch of strange slowdown. Did they somehow fix those graphical glitches?

Shion

Anybody have any suggestions for a VGA cable under 40 dollars (shipping included) that will deliver in approximately 2 weeks or less (I live on east coast USA)?

I'm currently in the process of having a high-quality custom Shenmue paintjob done on a Dreamcast to do my annual Shenmue playthrough on.

I'd love to experience it in VGA quality for the first time.
This cable used to be the cheapest one available (I remember buying one for less than $15):

vgacable.jpg

But the prices seem to be very high nowadays ($50).

VXLbeast

Just bought a Dreamcast for the first time a few weeks ago and I am in love. Picked it up along with Soul Calibur, and that game is better than I ever remember it being. I have Pier Solar HD pre-ordered, and hopefully I will pick up a VGA cable before too long.

Now, I have a question for the DC vets: besides the ones that are always brought up, what games should I get? I've gone through some lists, and Shenmue seems interesting. But the game that has stuck out the most to me so far is Elemental Gimmick Gear. Those backgrounds are breathtaking. So yah, can I get anymore suggestions from DC gaf?

Just bought a Dreamcast for the first time a few weeks ago and I am in love. Picked it up along with Soul Calibur, and that game is better than I ever remember it being. I have Pier Solar HD pre-ordered, and hopefully I will pick up a VGA cable before too long.

Now, I have a question for the DC vets: besides the ones that are always brought up, what games should I get? I've gone through some lists, and Shenmue seems interesting. But the game that has stuck out the most to me so far is Elemental Gimmick Gear. Those backgrounds are breathtaking. So yah, can I get anymore suggestions from DC gaf?

My #1 Dreamcast hidden gem:

$(KGrHqJHJB!E-EtEG7n)BPmJw7iGyQ~~60_1.JPG

Really fun Kart racer and its cell shaded graphics helped it to barely age.

tsab

Did they make a BBA iso loader yet? I want to play my games on DC as intended but without the horrible disc noise and loading :/

Jamix012

Odd question and people may shoot me down for this but: I recently bought a dreamcast and was wondering would it be physically possible for a dreamcast to run Sega CD games if it was modded?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thanks but I think the SD card is slower than the GD-Rom drive which means slow down

It works, but for a small amount of retail games. The Serial Port is hella slow, so it's mostly for homebrew.

Odd question and people may shoot me down for this but: I recently bought a dreamcast and was wondering would it be physically possible for a dreamcast to run Sega CD games if it was modded?

lol wut

kunonabi

Shenmue is a must-own

Some of my personal favs:

Capcom vs SNK
Chu Chu Rocket
Cannon Spike
D2
Illbleed
Fire Pro Wrestling D
Giant Gram All Japan Pro Wrestling 3
Tech Romancer
Psychic Force 2012
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Seaman
Seventh Cross Evolution
Zombie Revenge

I omitted some of the obvious stuff since you seem to have looked into those already

EGG is pretty good but be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Shenmue is a must-own

Some of my personal favs:

Capcom vs SNK
Chu Chu Rocket
Cannon Spike
D2
Illbleed
Fire Pro Wrestling D
Giant Gram All Japan Pro Wrestling 3
Tech Romancer
Psychic Force 2012
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Seaman
Seventh Cross Evolution
Zombie Revenge

I omitted some of the obvious stuff since you seem to have looked into those already

EGG is pretty good but be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

You missed a really good one :(

0mviGXy.png

Dash Kappei

Probably the PAL one if you're in the UK. It is a bit pricey though...

Doesn't matter which zone/color format his Dreamcast supports, VGA Box are universal, it's nothing more than a "beefed up" cable which goes directly into the DC. Then he will use a vga cable of his choice to go from the VGA Box to the TV, plus the red/white rca cables for audio of course.

BocoDragon

Yes, if you put a Sega CD inside of a Dreamcast case.

Why'd you mock him? I don't know if there is a Sega CD emulator for DC, but one is certainly feasible.

This is a console that had a PS1 emulator released in retail at a time when both consoles were current :p

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wow. VGA boxes have gotten real pricey and hard to find.

Five years ago eBay was flooded with those silver and transparent cased boxes that were done in a random Chinese factory. When I bought my transparent a few years back there were tons on there brand new for like £18 delivered.

BocoDragon

Wow. VGA boxes have gotten real pricey and hard to find.

Five years ago eBay was flooded with those silver and transparent cased boxes that were done in a random Chinese factory. When I bought my transparent a few years back there were tons on there brand new for like £18 delivered.
Yeah, sure enough the really solid aftermarket one is out of stock (permanently?) on the racketboy website. That's unfortunate. VGA box is essential for DC.

Dash Kappei

Why'd you mock him? I don't know if there is a Sega CD emulator for DC, but one is certainly feasible.

This is a console that had a PS1 emulator released in retail at a time when both consoles were current :p

Exactly. I still have my original MGS Bleemcast! It's how I beat MGS for the first time!

Top Bottom