• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: FoA |OT| F2P Now on Steam! Parade coming after HL3

NeOak

i5iVqRkqItKUV.jpg

GERNERAL INFORMATION
Developer: Bluehole Studio
Publisher: En Masse Entertainment
Release Date: December 16, 2014
Rating: M
Platform: PC

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD:

iop2hqsUAmCwT.jpg

COMMUNITY

Guild: Believe
GM: Serena (neoak)
Server: Tempest Reach
TS server: savetyrone.com

SERVERS
  • PVE
    • Tempest Reach <-- Roll here
    • Ascension Valley
    • Celestial Hills - Roleplay
  • PVP
    • Mount Tyrannas
    • Valley of Titans
    • Lake of Tears

ibpSNYRCI7krOj.gif

TERA FATE OF ARUN
Being the first expansion, a plentora of new content will be introduced in waves, including a 10th Class. some of TERA Fate of Arun's changes are listed below:

STORY:
After the Argon War, the resulting peace introduced a new problem to the Valkyon Federation: greed. With the alliances distracted by internal conflicts, a little-known threat once locked away in the mountains of Northern Arun finally reared its ugly head. What&#8217;s to become of this mysterious continent of Northern Arun?

CLASS CHANGES
All classes are getting new skills:

• Warrior
    • Binding Sword: Throws your sword to snare up to 4 enemies and pull them towards you.
  • Lancer
    • Rallying Cry: Your defiant shout draws aggro while you and party members become immune to knockdown and immobilization.
  • Slayer
    • Eviscerate: Deals powerful damage and knocks the opponent down.
  • Berserker
    • Raze: Knocks down enemies around you while moving forward.Tackle: Spin your axe to hurl a bolt that knocks down an enemy.
    • Unbreakable: Fueled by rage, your HP will not drop below 1 while active.
  • Reaper
    • Shrouded Escape: Cloak yourself in shadow, reducing aggro and becoming invisible.
  • Sorcerer
    • Nova: Unleash a massive explosion, which deals huge damage to enemies within a radius and can knock them down.
    • Warp Barrier: Cancel all damage and recover MP with each hit you take while active.
  • Archer
    • Thunderbolt: Shoot a concussion arrow. The shock will cause damage and knock enemies back.
    • Tenacity: Call on inner reserves to instantly replenish MP. Briefly increases resistance to stun immensely.
  • Priest
    • Zenobia&#8217;s Vortex: Unleashes a whirlwind, dealing damage to all enemies in its path and briefly throwing them into the air.
    • Divine Intervention: Pulls and retrieves a party member in front of the caster.
  • Mystic
    • Contagion: Infects one target and spread a disease that deals damage over time and decreases enemy&#8217;s endurance.
    • Vampiric Pulse: Fire a bolt which deals damage to all enemies and heals party members in its path.

NEW AREAS:

• Savage Reach: (60-61)
    ikKZouPYKeqkm.jpg

The thick green jungles of Val Oriyn are home to the savage but noble Khirians...and the brutal lizard-like guwangi.
  • Spring Valley (61-62)
    ij7BxrZzFI306.jpg

A desperate group of freedom fighters and refugees hide in this idyllic valley full of waterfalls, hot springs and dangerous archdevan forces.
  • Ex Prima (62-63)
    iplFmEryEZcM4.jpg

Once the domain of the mighty giants, Ex Prima is little more than ruins now&#8212;overrun with goblins, wild beasts, and the slave armies of the Archdevas.
  • Arx Umbra (63-65)
    iBmfri0iGMLnq.jpg

The ancient fortress of the archdevas is now a citadel of torment, and the seat of power of the shadow lord, Dakuryon.
  • Highwatch (Main Hub)
    iCaj4ps1tav45.jpg

The beseiged city of the barakas has been cut off from the outside world for centuries, and they would love nothing more than to repair their long-dormant teleportal
  • Baldera (Unicorn place) Never coming

NEW DUNGEONS

• Sabex Armory
    icWFnKjwwyVIe.jpg

In a cavern deep underground, the archdevas store munitions. Rally the spirits of the Khirian rebels by taking it out.
  • Macellarius Catacombs
    i2T3lMh1u9aao.jpg

Venture into the archdevan fortress, find the blood mages&#8217; gruesome laboratory and slay those responsible for making monstrosities out of your allies.
  • Ravenous Gorge
    ibv4XbaXcey87Q.jpg

Descend into a hidden forest where three ravenous BAMs are determined to overthrow the balance of nature. Climb into the treetops and put a stop to their feeding frenzy.
  • Bathysmal Rise
    i1UMdefO4QhXw.jpg

Plunging this ancient weapon of the giants deep beneath the sea wasn&#8217;t enough to stop it. Now it has ideas of its own. Pacify it.

ENCHANTING!

Gear Tiers
To help simplify and reduce costs for enchanting, the tiers of all gear have shifted. If your gear was previously: It's now:
  • Tier 1 &#8211; Tier 5: Tier 1
  • Tier 6 &#8211; Tier 9: Tier 2
  • Tier 10 &#8211; Tier 12: Tier 3
  • Tier 13 &#8211; Tier 14: Tier 4
  • Tier 15: Tier 5
You only need two things to enchant your gear: feedstock and alkahest.

Let's talk about alkahest first: Old alkahest still works, but now there's alkahest specific to each tier instead of the enchanting bonus. Any alkahest equal to or greater than the tier of the gear you are enchanting will work, provided you have enough.You need 10 alkahests per enchanting attempt, plus an additional amount equal to the tier of the item you are enchanting.

Now on to feedstock: There are five tiers of feedstock, which correspond to the five tiers of equipment. Level 65 bosses now drop tier 5 feedstock instead of dropping common (white) and uncommon (green) fodder.

You can create feedstock by dismantling armor and weapons. Quantities vary based on item level and bonuses. When you dismantle tier 4 equipment, you&#8217;re guaranteed to get tier 4 feedstock (see more on dismantling below). You can also create feedstock by combining 6 feedstock of the next lower tier.

You&#8217;ll need at least 2 feedstock to enchant handwear and footwear, 3 for body armor, and 4 per enchanting attempt on weapons. For low levels of enchanting bonus, the minimum amount is usually sufficient. But as your gear improves, you'll see the interface recommend doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the amount of feedstock for each attempt. Why would you want to spend more feedstock? Because using more improves your odds of successful enchantment while consuming the same amount of alkhest.

Taken from http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...n-Gear-Tiers-and-Simplified-Enchanting?page=1

LV 65 GEAR
PVE SETS
Set 1: Ambit Set
  • Weapon: drops from Fulminar at Bathysmal Rise
  • Chest armor: drops from Tantibus at Bathysmal Rise
  • Gloves: drops from Fulminar at Bathysmal Rise
  • Boots: drops from Mephisis at Bathysmal Rise
  • Belt: drops from Tantibus at Bathysmal Rise
- Also craftable by purchasing the designs at weapon/armorcrafting NPC's. Certain parts may be purchased from Vanguard Initiative reputation vendor. Ambition Tokens from Rift's Edge and Ravenous Gorge can be used to purchase certain pieces of the Ambit set.

Set 2: Discovery Set (improvement over the Ambit set)
  • Weapon: drops from Fulminar at Bathysmal Rise and Nimistrix at Ravenous Gorge
  • All other pieces: will become available in 2nd Phase in Early 2015. Recipes will also come at the same time

PVP SETS
Set 1: Controvert Set
  • All pieces: crafted (designs sold at Belicarium quartermaster)
Set 2: Defiance Set (Upgrade the Controvert set)
  • All pieces: crafted (designs sold at Killing Spree quartermaster) - currently not craftable. The missing ingredient will become available in future updates.

COMING SOON (AKA KTERA has it)
Guild Housing, 10th Class, and more!

iyrGkJ6UIw5U8.jpg

ibhFJtFT5m5YV.png

FEATURES
TERA is the first AAA MMO to feature a complete action combat system. Dubbed "True Action Combat", the system uses a free targeting and location based damage system with customizable combos and skill chains. Most classes have a dodge, escape, or block that allows them to avoid enemy attacks in real time. The game eliminates the need for tab targeting or holding down right click to move.

• F2P - No purchase or subscription required. The game is completely free to play.
  • Politics - Compete for the political position of Exarch. Collect taxes, control NPCs, zone settings, and more.
  • Guilds - Fully functional guild system with member ranks, permissions, and guild bank.
  • GvG - Guild Vs Guild large scale PVP combat. Guilds can enter GvG competition for the Guild housing when it is available.
  • PVP - Open world PVP through the use of an Outlaw system. This is available on PVP servers only.
  • Duels and Deathmatch - Timed 1v1 duels, 5v5 deathmatch, and 10v10 deathmatch with optional wagers.
  • Battlegrounds - 15v15 or 3v3 organized team combat.
  • Daily Quests - Quests from special NPCs can be completed daily to earn reputation and rewards.
  • BAMs - Big Ass Monsters. These are gigantic challenging zone bosses that roam the open world and dungeons.
  • Dungeons - Challenging dungeons with varying degrees of difficulty. Hard Mode dungeons offer the most challenging experiences and the best rewards.
  • Matchmaking - Automated cross-server matchmaking tool for dungeons, battlegrounds, and other content.
  • Enchanting - Special weapons and armor can be enchanted to increase base stats and unlock bonuses.
  • Glyphs - A unique system that enhances existing abilities for your class. Advanced glyphs can be obtained from special dungeons.
  • Valkyon Outfitters - Store containing primarily cosmetic items, mounts, and time-saving boosters purchased with EMP that is bought with real currency.
  • Achievements - Gameplay achievements that grant player titles and rewards.
  • Controller support

WALLPAPER

VIDEOS
QLK6j.png

TERA - Elin Maids Kitchen Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eahjqTfb14
TERA - Elin Bunny Maid Warrior BAM solo (Fimbrilisk): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cophlzHNjM

LINKS
Legendary TERA OT
(RIP)
by ROBOKITTYZILLA: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471756
EnMasse's Website: http://tera.enmasse.com
A Certain TERA Index, Espei's blog: https://espeitr.wordpress.com
Yosha's Lv 65 FAQ: http://forum.teratoday.com/topic/201-ktera-level-65-faq/
NeOak's Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/neoak/

T.O.P

Banned
Dropped out of the game right after i got VM2

Might take a look once the gunner class is out but i was pretty much burn out on the TERA formula

Best combat in an MMO, too bad the whole game (from what I saw as much as I played) was just kill X number of Y or collect X number of Y (by killing X for them to drop).

If we could combine a good sandbox structure with good real time action combat, we'd have the true next great MMO.

Here's hoping Black Desert achieves.

1337Sauce

How much content is available if I don't want to pay to play just yet? What kind of limitations are imposed upon the free players? I read the restrictions on another website, but how big are these things to the average player.

NeOak

How much content is available if I don't want to pay to play just yet? What kind of limitations are imposed upon the free players? I read the restrictions on another website, but how big are these things to the average player.

All is available in terms of content, even end game. The Elite sub adds extra stuff, like extra dailies and being able to do instances twice per day, half the cooldown in dungeons and extra pages for listing at broker with no fees. It's worth for the more hardcore.

As a free player, you get 2 character slots, one bank slot and 1 page of listings in the broker. You can get a key from the old retail release and upgrade to Founder for cheap.

fedexpeon

Banned
Probably the best combat in an MMO. Played the game since it was first released in NA, and still today, no MMO has a better combat system.
Can't go wrong if you like DarkSoul mechanic.
TERA has a weighted system, no ability canceling unless you chain into another, and aim based.

I really want to get back into this game, but with WoW, there is no time for two MMO.
If you are a new players, this is probably the best time to start.
The game barely has any P2W elements from the last time I played, but maybe it was because I had founder status.

Scher

I kind of really want to play this game again. Played it quite a bit at release, although stopped playing after running FoK HM for the nth time because it took them forever to get more dungeons out. Have they said anything about future content they have planned?

NeOak

I think it´s time I get seriously into this game. Any recommended class?

Depends on your play style. All are really fun.

This is F2P right? I'll give it another go if I can find a friend to go through it with.

If you join in TR, I can help you.

I kind of really want to play this game again. Played it quite a bit at release, although stopped playing after running FoK HM for the nth time because it took them forever to get more dungeons out. Have they said anything about future content they have planned?
Dude, we're getting the expansion today. New cap to 65, new dungeons and more coming. Read Espei's blog. It's under the links at the end of the OP.

Scher

Dude, we're getting the expansion today. New cap to 65, new dungeons and more coming. Read Espei's blog. It's under the links at the end of the OP.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I was just curious about what future content they'll have for the expansion and what kind of timeline they expect for it. Considering how sparse endgame was for quite a while at the original release, that's kind of the thing that concerns me most when it comes to playing the game again.

NeOak

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I was just curious about what future content they'll have for the expansion and what kind of timeline they expect for it. Considering how sparse endgame was for quite a while at the original release, that's kind of the thing that concerns me most when it comes to playing the game again.
There are more dungeons, implementing old stuff updated for 65, the new class, and other stuff they have just teased in KTERA.

We should be getting the stuff every month or two like Korea. We no longer lag behind in terms of content like before.

I seriously recommend you check the blog. Espei keeps it up to date on everything.

NeOak

I'm kinda mad they are removing almost all the old endgame dungeons. I can't even go look at them now ;_;
Yeah, I missed a few too. But what can I say. They reimplemented Baldur's Temple and brought back Fane of Kaprima for a while.

FoK was a unfixable lagfest though.

I'm sure they will bring stuff back.

yaffi

Heh, I might come back then.

Each region (EU/NA) has its own servers, right? And Tempest Reach would be an NA server I assume? So how's playing on NA servers as a European?

NeOak

Heh, I might come back then.

Each region (EU/NA) has its own servers, right? And Tempest Reach would be an NA server I assume? So how's playing on NA servers as a European?
Apparently it works. There are a lot of Europeans and even more Russians lol

Corgi

Banned
wait this game wasn't cancelled? Always felt like there was little interest in korea to provide more stuff for this.

Might give this a shot.... again. Made decent progress as a berserker. Good fun charging that axe.

might give lancer a shot.

naturally elin4life.

aett

I think I only got to level 30 or so, as a Berserker, shortly after launch. Have there been any improvements to the leveling process to speed it up and avoid the endless collect/kill quests?

Einbroch

Banned
wait this game wasn't cancelled? Always felt like there was little interest in korea to provide more stuff for this.

TERA is the third largest MMO in the world in terms of revenue (for those that offer subscriptions), I don't think it's going anywhere!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wondering when it hits EU will probably start playing again when the new class hits.

I miss the mostly dead servers before the mergers, getting to High rank vanarchs was so much easier.

Puru

I'll try installing the thing again, always wanted to give it a try. Last time i couldn't get past the launcher for some reasons.

roboshawn

Neo Member
I think I only got to level 30 or so, as a Berserker, shortly after launch. Have there been any improvements to the leveling process to speed it up and avoid the endless collect/kill quests?

I repeatedly try to get back into this game because of the combat, but every time find myself snoring off by these quests. GW2 spoiled me I suppose. And WoW's dungeon finder ... I'd personally love to just play dungeons to level. I'll give this another shot when FoA comes out.

Jinroh

I'll try installing the thing again, always wanted to give it a try. Last time i couldn't get past the launcher for some reasons.
The launcher is the worst I've ever seen and barely ever works. I'm still waiting for the game to be rereleased on steam to fix this particular issue.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I repeatedly try to get back into this game because of the combat, but every time find myself snoring off by these quests. GW2 spoiled me I suppose. And WoW's dungeon finder ... I'd personally love to just play dungeons to level. I'll give this another shot when FoA comes out.

The game is certainly very grindy. Though the action combat and numerous open world bosses made soloing them pretty fun and challenging.

Scaled pvp is probably the best thing about the game since it means you can have a meaningful contribution to battle at lower levels and the rewards for it a very useful in general last time I played.

I ditched shortly after starting to gear up from the fairly recent clown dungeon where you had to fight the fat worm at the end. I absolutely loved the game and I adored my character (Popori forever, destroy the Elin oppressors) but I was completely heartbroken by enchantment failure attempts (and the only reasonable way to get alkahest being cash shop). To add to that, I was a lancer, so it was really difficult to hold aggro unless I was at least as geared as my DPS.

NeOak, do the changes to the enchantment system sound like they're aimed toward mitigating some of the RNG element? Or does it sound like they're just adding more consumables into it and it'll still be as bad as it was? I'm watching the stream to see if they do any enchanting...

I had actually bought and subscribed to this when it came out because I thought the battle system was so good. Do you get any perks for being a founder or whatever? Did they ever do anything to improve the story and lore?

NeOak

Yup, they have streamlined the process and this expansion makes it even faster.

They have updated the launcher quite a bit.

i kinda want to start a new char. i haven't played the game since it went f2p.

Man, the combat is something else.

The launcher is the worst I've ever seen and barely ever works. I'm still waiting for the game to be rereleased on steam to fix this particular issue.

I ditched shortly after starting to gear up from the fairly recent clown dungeon where you had to fight the fat worm at the end. I absolutely loved the game and I adored my character (Popori forever, destroy the Elin oppressors) but I was completely heartbroken by enchantment failure attempts (and the only reasonable way to get alkahest being cash shop). To add to that, I was a lancer, so it was really difficult to hold aggro unless I was at least as geared as my DPS.

NeOak, do the changes to the enchantment system sound like they're aimed toward mitigating some of the RNG element? Or does it sound like they're just adding more consumables into it and it'll still be as bad as it was? I'm watching the stream to see if they do any enchanting...

Yes, it is made to mitigate the RNG. You can add more feedstock to increase your chances and there is alkahest if you decide to get the premium ones either with money or with gold that increases your chances.

The enchantment correction also increases your chances if you fail, so you're bound to have success faster. You do not need to use the cash shop unless you're going for +15 with the new gear. +9 alkahest is sold by a merchant now.

I had actually bought and subscribed to this when it came out because I thought the battle system was so good. Do you get any perks for being a founder or whatever? Did they ever do anything to improve the story and lore?

Yes.

Check http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-game-account-types

The Elite consumables listed there aren't not what you get now though lol.

NeOak

I might redownload this game, but I have no one to play with.

Roll in Tempest Reach

I really enjoyed my time with Tera. Are there many people playing today or is it becoming a desert?

Many. It is F2P.

I don't subscribe anymore, obviously, so I assume I'd just get the elite perks. I haven't played since a month or two after launch. Since it's F2P I might hop back in though, for the hell of it. I had like a level 30 Mystic at the time.

No, you get the "Founder" benefits.

Man, the combat is something else.

has the combat changed that much? i assume all those tanks got a change because i was playing as a sorc. unsure how much you can do with that except allow them to cast any spell while moving lol.

also the lack of Popori is disheartening ;(

It's been a while since I've played. I don't why I haven't logged back in in so long. I was so close to having all Regent. And I was getting a little better at facing Shandra Manaya. So maybe eventually I could have gotten Visionmaker.

There's just so many games to play... I need to play more Final Fantasy XIV, too...

Maybe I should try this. Being on Steam will make downloading it easy. I remember when it first came out for Steam... but it was only the European version. I was disappointed.

If I start playing it on Steam it's going to become my most played game... I'll probably have more than 3000 hours in it...

Setsuna

It's been a while since I've played. I don't why I haven't logged back in in so long. I was so close to having all Regent. And I was getting a little better at facing Shandra Manaya. So maybe eventually I could have gotten Visionmaker.

There's just so many games to play... I need to play more Final Fantasy XIV, too...

Maybe I should try this. Being on Steam will make downloading it easy. I remember when it first came out for Steam... but it was only the European version. I was disappointed.

If I start playing it on Steam it's going to become my most played game... I'll probably have more than 3000 hours in it...

Wait a minute. Since when was this game on steam?

EDIT:Its going to be on steam

Yes, it is made to mitigate the RNG. You can add more feedstock to increase your chances and there is alkahest if you decide to get the premium ones either with money or with gold that increases your chances.

The enchantment correction also increases your chances if you fail, so you're bound to have success faster. You do not need to use the cash shop unless you're going for +15 with the new gear. +9 alkahest is sold by a merchant now.

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear! I'll probably have to drop in this weekend to check it out, maybe my old buddies can help me catch up with stuff...

NeOak

Wait a minute. Since when was this game on steam?

The TERA: Rising European version was in Steam. It is gone though. I have the stub in my wishlist before they region locked it.

NA version was supposed to launch today in Steam but something happened and its delayed until early next year.

Top Bottom