• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Killer instinct season 2 character: Maya

Its really funny to have a character called Maya and then say that its Incan inspired and also say Latin origin. I thought that in the original she was just from some fantasy tribe in the Amazon.

I will just accept it because videogames, lets wait for gameplay now.

Skab

Its really funny to have a character called Maya and then say that its Incan inspired and also say Latin origin. I thought that in the original she was just from some fantasy tribe in the Amazon.

I will just accept it because videogames, lets wait for gameplay now.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, her name is pronounced May-uh. So it's a bit different than the civ.

It's also just a name. Tusk doesn't have tusks, Riptor isn't actually a raptor, etc.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
killer-instinct-t-j-combo-1.gif

people think this is better than his new redesign? or are people comparing him to his KI2 outfit?

anyway i thought Cinder was next, maybe he will be teased when they show her trailer.

I think the problem is TJ combo had a unique haircut, kinda like balrog/m.bison(jpn) and mixed with him losing the boxing gloves for MMA gloves, losing the stars and stripes shirt and his skin tone being wayyyy lighter (at least in the reveal), him gaining a goatee and his face looking completely different... It basically made him completely unrecognizable.

He looks closer now after they fixed his skin tone, but they really should give him the haircut back on the remake just so his silhouette looks recognizable.

Salz01

That looks pretty cool. Want to see the ingame model though. Surprised they haven't been showing more of Season 2.

So if Cinder doesn't arrive until 2015, is that the longest stint ever between appearances for a fighting game character? 20 damn years and I still remember playing as him.

DopeyFish

So if Cinder doesn't arrive until 2015, is that the longest stint ever between appearances for a fighting game character? 20 damn years and I still remember playing as him.

Well... There is still riptor who could show up as late as 2016

Bardiche

Maya's redesign is very good even though the bar was set really low with her KI2 design.
She was the most unpopular character in KI2, so I wonder if she'll be one of the underused characters, but I guess we'll need gameplay footage.

It's all about Kim Wu. Hopefully, she'll be announced this season.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, didn't expect that one. I like her art/stage so I'm looking forward to seeing them in motion.

Skab

Maya's redesign is very good even though the bar was set really low with her KI2 design.
She was the most unpopular character in KI2 so I wonder if she'll be one of the underused characters but I guess we'll need gameplay footage.

It's all about Kim Wu. Hopefully she'll be announced this season.

She plays nothing like her KI2 self, so I don't think you have to worry about her being underused.

Xav

lol. The character designs in the old ones were horrid barely a step up from Time Killers, in what universe the new ones look "worse" than those shitty designs.

dyFz7OL.jpg

AfJ2DMT.png

cYG2BNc.gif

69VUzWA.png

The new designs just look worse to me personally, like something out of the "create a wrestler" mode from those WWE games.

Skab

The new designs just look worse to me personally, like something out of the "create a wrestler" mode from those WWE games.

Those are classic costumes, and kind of prove how bad the old designs were.

These are the new designs of the 3 characters you used.

Jago_(Killer_Instinct).png
225px-Orchid_%28Killer_Instinct%29.png

256px-Fulgore_KI3.jpg

Head.spawn

I was really hoping they wouldn't touch anyone from that particular game because everyone looked like crap in that title, especially her. But damn, they have worked a miracle here. Not too shabby.

Biker19

Banned
This is character 11. There will be 17 when season 2 is done ... 25+ after season 3

So that means that Kim Wu, Cinder, Riptor, & Tusk are the only characters from KI I & KI II that haven't been brought back yet. No way would they bring back the former boss characters Eyedol & Gargos
since they've been destroyed.

Plus I love Maya's new design! Definitely a step up.

Crocodile

The redesign looks great (at least the art does) but yeah it does feel like they traced over a photo of Beyonce or something :p

Naaa, I'm not sure how tight gym shots and a midriff top made classic TJ such a superior design to modern TJ. And then KI 2... the pants were an improvement... But they eyepatch wasn't all that special on him. Heidern, Sagat? Cool. TJ? Meh.

And even as a fan of old Thunder back in the day, I really like Modern Thunder better, too.

Anywho, I'm glad we're going to see a Jungle Stage, as well. Been wanting one of those in this game.

Modern Thunder is the best Native American design in gaming, movies or comics this century IMO. I totally freaking marked out to his reveal.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm glad all the women don't look like Janet Jackson clones like KI2. Did the character designer of KI2 have a thing for Miss Jackson if you're nasty?

abadguy

Banned
I'm glad all the women don't look like Janet Jackson clones like KI2. Did the character designer of KI2 have a thing for Miss Jackson if you're nasty?

Well she was pretty damned hot in the 90's. Though i always liked the "Control" era version. In particular how she looked in "The Pleasure Principle" video.

DopeyFish

So if I have the ultra edition do I get anything from Season 2?

Early Access?
Shadow Jago?

Well... you should be getting all the new modes and the ability to play against the new characters... possibly on their stages.

But you probably don't get much beyond that. The new seasons expand what you have already have but you will have to pay if you want to access the new characters.

iMerc

looks fantastic. wow, i've actually loved everything about this KI reboot since it was first announced. :)
+1 for hype for kim wu. i never really used her in KI2, but i always liked her design (at least in context to the other characters)

so like, rare have nothing to do with this game anymore at all, right?
i know it's kind of a dead horse, but it still bugs me that people have been asking them for a new KI for a long time, and one gets announced and they have shit all to do with it.

hashtagraredeservesbetter.

DopeyFish

looks fantastic. wow, i've actually loved everything about this KI reboot since it was first announced. :)
+1 for hype for kim wu. i never really used her in KI2, but i always liked her design (at least in context to the other characters)

i know it's kind of a dead horse, but it still bugs me that people have been asking them for a new KI for a long time, and one gets announced and they have shit all to do with it.

Honestly... what double helix made was nothing short of astounding

Sure, some of the content isn't the best (classic costumes...) but the mechanics are absolutely rock solid

I don't think rare would have been able to make KI as good as DH did, to be honest.

The old KI games were flashy but broken as hell and not very fun in MP.

Ken Lobb is helping out with KI i guess thats something.

Synth

There's basically no reason to believe that Rare would have done a better job with this. It's not even a classic Sega situation where you simply worry if anyone there today can recreate what they had before. KI2013 absolutely destroys KI1 and KI2, so we'd have probably ended up with a worse game even if the original team was magically all present for it.

Top Bottom