• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Three GOP senators -- including Rand Paul -- expected to oppose health care bill

They will vote for it anyway, but this is setting themselves up for when they are up for reelection and they can say that they opposed the bill initially.

Steejee

They'll make some changes to pull it further right, bringing these assholes on board, and none of the 'moderates' will do more than make empty noise about their 'concerns' and will ultimately fall in line and vote yes.

Balphon

Paul is the only one who could conceivably not fold like yesterday's laundry if this bluff is called, but I doubt it.

A more likely avenue to defeating he bill would be leaning on Heller, Flake, & Capito.

old

Allow me to translate this for you:

"Give my constituents more pork and give me more committee seats."

They're probably still going to vote for it. The GOP has enough time to "convince" them.

"Not ready" so they'll get some minor concession and then pass it. Whoopee
Since when have Cruz or Lee been won over by minor concessions on anything. I wish we could discuss this intelligently instead of viewing senate republicans as a monolith.

Then there's the Hyde Amendment. This shit could get rocky fast for republicans.

cameron

Where are the two moderate queens?

No formal statement yet from Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski. But, when asked by a Bloomberg reporter:

ZY0P9I2.png

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/877955116166402049
DVNkMxt.png

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/877958190637359104
JSAN2JR.png

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/877960176875294720
LoOOXHn.png

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/877961191355797505

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Passing fun thought. In 2018, there is going to be a whole lot of Republicans suddenly against this bill and saying they always have been. Been fighting against it every step of the way they have.

comedian

I look forward to hearing how McCain finds some elements of the bill "concerning", but will vote for it regardless.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Planned Parenthood is so much more than abortions. The Republican party wants everyoe to believe it is only abortions.

Yeah that was the entire point of my post. Why are you a member of the GOP if you support PP when the GOP relentlessly attacks it as worse than chemical warfare?

zma1013

Isn't this exactly what happened before? A few republicans in the House said they weren't going to vote for it and then when the vote happened they changed their votes?

Isn't this exactly what happened before? A few republicans in the House said they weren't going to vote for it and then when the vote happened they changed their votes?

It's a little harder to change the Senate bill quickly like the House bill

Every change needs to go through a CBO estimate again before they can vote on it. There's still time to make small tweaks, but that time is running out.

Maxim726X

Hence the reason that no one thinks it won't pass.

Although, to be fair... I still don't think it's going to. Once the CBO comes out and obliterates it a third time, combined with it's astounding unpopularity, I don't see how it gets through.

To be fair though, their ability to coalesce should never be taken for granted.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Yes, this is the only reason those four our speaking up against it. So come next year they can shout, hey we tried!! Please vote for me.

I doubt Cruz will lose his seat next year even if he was all for it. I don't think there's enough Democratic momentum statewide for him to lose. Maybe if he was a congressman here in Houston, but as the Senator of Texas? He's safe.

I doubt Cruz will lose his seat next year even if he was all for it. I don't think there's enough Democratic momentum statewide for him to lose. Maybe if he was a congressman here in Houston, but as the Senator of Texas? He's safe.

He only won by 16% last time.

"Only" sounds silly for 16%, but that's not entirely out of the realm of a Democrat wave taking him out.

Gutek

It'll go through, don't worry. Their hate for Barack HUSSEIN Obama, the former Islamist in Chief, will unit them.

I'll believe this opposition is manufactured until the day of the vote. I can see it passing with a Pence tie breaker. Collins and Murkowski will be allowed to vote against it since voting for it would be especially harmful to them. I hope these four senators do vote "No" though.

All a facade to play up to shitty constituents, then they will either vote or abstain. Anyway will lead Pence for the tiebreaker and he will vote yes on anything. All according to Trump admin plans

Top Bottom