• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

breadtruck

Seen it today, loved most of it.
Kinda seemed like some of the special effects could have used a few more minutes in the oven, but really, I dont have much to complain about.

Jtrizzy

Saw it today. Overall it was good, not amazing. Best dceu, but that's not saying much. Hopefully the keep it up with Justice League.

Rooster12

Since there are so many comparisons between this and First Avenger.

I'm just gonna say the two movies have the completely opposite effect on me.

For Captain America, the first act with the skinny Steve Rogers was heartwarming, inspiring and amazing to watch. The acting by Chris Evans there was top notch. The minute he becomes Cap....for some reason....I just checked out. I guess because I knew how predictable everything was going to be. If you know the comics, you know what he's going to do. It's not like Marvel was going to change much from that. I was barely able to keep my attention and the final confrontation between Red Skull and Cap was pretty disappointing.

For Wonder Woman, that first act was a chore to get through. The child actor, the hammy acting, the stinted dialogue by even great actors. I was wondering if I was being lied to by everyone. I was about to check out. But then....the soldiers attack the island, she goes to man's world. The No Man's Land scene, the gas scene, the dancing scene, the kiss, the final scene with Steve. There were so many emotional moments and Gal really pulled it off. Yes, there were still cheesy and cringe-fests sprinkled in. But the highs were among some of the best in any CMB movie.

I guess having Wonder Woman not knowing anything about war, being naive, and having a great partner in Steve Rogers really sold it for me. Whereas Steve Rogers obviously just wanted to fight and win, a lackluster Bucky, and a barely recognizable romance with Agent Carter didn't.

Toxi

Banned
Saw the movie. It was good, with the highlight easily being the No Man's Land scene. Like that lead-up with them saying "We can't do anything to help" over and over until she finally does help. It's a great denial of the universal cynicism.

Dead Man

Saw the movie. It was good, with the highlight easily being the No Man's Land scene. Like that lead-up with them saying "We can't do anything to help" over and over until she finally does help. It's a great denial of the universal cynicism.

Except they were right until she showed up and drew all the bullets to her. She could help. They couldn't.

Raptomex

My friend and I saw it over the weekend. This was so fucking good. Really enjoyed it. It was the first comic book movie I saw where I actually read the story beforehand. I read Gods and Mortals last year, which I assume this is based on, and while it strayed a little, I appreciate how close it did stick to the source material.

Razmos

Watched it last night, the humour was great and the action scenes were top notch.

Why oh why with that fucking forced romance though seriously. She literally falls in love with the first man she meets. There is a literal trope about this.

It was completely unnecessary in an otherwise empowering film.
It's like they said "let's be feminist but not TOO feminist"

eizarus

Banned
Watched it last night, the humour was great and the action scenes were top notch.

Why oh why with that fucking forced romance though seriously. She literally falls in love with the first man she meets. There is a literal trope about this.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0...ama-superman-romance-influenced-wonder-woman/
Patty Jenkins discussed it a little while ago[/url]. I thought it worked alright. Tbh you can't escape WW and Steve Trevor. He's a major character in her origin story.
As for the romance, yes I thought it was absolutely necessary. I think that all of the great epic classic films that I was basing the movie on had that as an integral part of them, and I wanted Diana’s story to have EVERYTHING – no lesser than any other superhero. It’s not about her needing anybody, it’s about her deserving someone amazing.

I really disagree with this line of thinking. Every single male superhero gets to have a "fucking forced romance" and people don't bat an eye at it. Diana being attracted to someone and desiring companionship doesn't make her weak or unempowered, those are things nearly everyone desires. Holding female heroes to some weird standard of "she don't need no man" isn't empowering, it's limiting. It's just another way to force female characters into specific boxes, and honestly, probably does more harm then good. It reinforces the idea that: "If you want a companion in this life, you better not be tough and outspoken!"

I'd also argue that the Diana/Steve romance is the furthest thing from "forced" and, in many ways, is the relationship that the entire film hinges on. It's probably the best love story in a CBM, for me, since Raimi's Spidey films.

Veelk

Banned
I really disagree with this line of thinking. Every single male superhero gets to have a "fucking forced romance" and people don't bat an eye at it. Diana being attracted to someone and desiring companionship doesn't make her weak or unempowered, those are things nearly everyone desires. Holding female heroes to some weird standard of "she don't need no man" isn't empowering, it's limiting. It's just another way to force female characters into specific boxes, and honestly, probably does more harm then good. It reinforces the idea that: "If you want a companion in this life, you better not be tough and outspoken!"

I'd also argue that the Diana/Steve romance is the furthest thing from "forced" and, in many ways, is the relationship that the entire film hinges on. It's probably the best love story in a CBM, for me, since Raimi's Spidey films.

I do wish for more films that ditch the idea that just because a man and a woman are in proximity, they NEED to be romantically involved. I would love it for The Flash to just have a platonic female companion or something.

But like you said, "Can't have a love interest" can be as limiting as "Has to have a love interest". In the case of Wonder Woman, it needed to be shown that female superheroes can ahve what amounts to a standard heroes' journey, which traditionally includes falling in love with whoever the opposite gender companion is. That in itself is progress.

And the fact that it is the single best superhero romance ever put to film is just a fantastic bonus on top. And I'm serious about that, no other couple in the superhero movie world comes close.

Peru

I think the last act could've been boring 'let's fight this big old supernatural thing' but was saved and became something great because of the emotional investment in it of the characters and the audience. I was moved by Diana and Steve's relationship, and Steve's sacrifice, and her realisation, way more than I have been by any 'love story' in any superhero movie before. I was also impressed by the ballsy move to stand loud and proud with the whole LOVE and HUMANITy message. Is it a little corny? Sure! Is it unlike any CBM and touching because of the earnestness of the two main characters? Absolutely. It's bold stuff and elevates the movie.

okdakor

I'm french, Gadot accent wasn't a problem for me... but listening to Saïd Taghmaoui trying to mimick an american actor mimicking a french guy was rough. With all the clichés, "Et voilà", "formidable", ...

jph139

Diana/Steve didn't really stand out to me, to be honest. Like, they had good chemistry as two people, but the romance angle didn't come naturally for me. It's like, okay, now they dance, now they fuck, now he's in love with her, now he's dead.

She's obviously attractive but Steve talks to her like a child half the time, and I felt primarily curiosity from Diana rather than any sort of longing or attraction.

If the message they were going for is "Wonder Woman can have a romance subplot just as trite and formulaic as any male superhero!" they succeeded, I guess.

Rooster12

And the fact that it is the single best superhero romance ever put to film is just a fantastic bonus on top. And I'm serious about that, no other couple in the superhero movie world comes close.

That's all there needs to be said. It's one of the best things in the movie.

Diana/Steve didn't really stand out to me, to be honest. Like, they had good chemistry as two people, but the romance angle didn't come naturally for me. It's like, okay, now they dance, now they fuck, now he's in love with her, now he's dead.

She's obviously attractive but Steve talks to her like a child half the time, and I felt primarily curiosity from Diana rather than any sort of longing or attraction.

If the message they were going for is "Wonder Woman can have a romance subplot just as trite and formulaic as any male superhero!" they succeeded, I guess.
It didn't start with the dance. The road toward romance started all the way back in the naked pool scene. #BestSuperheroMovieCoupleEver

Superflat

My thoughts as well. I also like that it didn't need be a film where they constantly show them exchanging glances to create "chemistry", and instead actually showed how they change each other. They are constantly in urgent circumstances from the moment they meet, and the village was the first time they could actually take a breath and take in what they accomplished. Getting to that point, Trevor has seen how Diana converts the cynicism around her, including himself. Diana gets to see firsthand the despair and horror that Trevor has gone through, and she sees that surface labels "murderer, liar, smuggler" aren't as straightforward as she thought. It's chemistry and respect that builds into love via dialogue and experiences, something a lot of films, especially blockbusters, miss.

Friggz

Seen it today, loved most of it.
Kinda seemed like some of the special effects could have used a few more minutes in the oven, but really, I dont have much to complain about.

pretty much my take as well. the special effects and cgi were blatant and pretty bad at times.

Saw it tonight. It took an age to get going but once they were in Belgium it went nicely.

As soon as I saw Doctor Poison lady I thought "well that mask is coming off later" but it was done with no real fanfare, oh well.

Surprise bad guy was fun.

The CGI was surprisingly poor.

Took them a while to get to war is kinda shitty but they got there eventually. Albeit man with PTSD getting over it by having some more war was a bit dumb.

I was totally expecting doctor poison lady to end up getting shipped to america at the end. Maybe it would be a bit on the nose, but it would have played into the theme of the film nicely if she ended up working for the USA.

By far the best DC movie, Justice League still looks like a hot mess though.

Okay I have to talk about the logistics of this movie cause it feels like they ran out of runtime and had to squish a lot of exposition together.

So WW arrives on the German French front. From there a village is just a short run away and from that Village we're less than a day's ride away to the German HQ in Belgium and from there just over the hill is Ludendorf's secret base?

Also these fighter planes only have a short reach. Meaning the Amazon island gotta be somewhere in the aegean. Sailing from there to london is a huge undertaking with that tiny ass boat.

Lastly Lupin from Harry Potter as a greek adonis completely with the moustache was comedy gold.

Watched this yesterday and had some hours to think the entire movie over. It was an absolute blast, apart from a few average CGI moments but that was to be expected for a starting Wonder Woman movie.

It has been mentioned before countless of times in this thread but the chemistry between Diana and Steve has set the new bar for superhero relationships. The laughs, the romance, the ending where Diana's sadness explodes when she sees Steve dying and she reveils her true potential.

It usually a cliché in movies like this. Where leading roles tend to get with each other because of "movie purposes", but the relationship between these two felt genuine and was tremendously fitting throughout the entire movie up to the end.

I agree with most that the final 20 minutes felt dragged but I didn't care. The first 70 minutes before that had me smiling on multiple occasions.

Not just because of the badass Wonder Woman we are finally getting on the screen, but also because we got amazing sequences like the No Man's Land sequence that destroyed the barrier of "we can't help them all, there's nothing we can do about it", and Diana just decides to help them instead of leaving everyone wounded.

There are too many times where superheroes tend to witness awful scenarios and they just tend to ignore them because that is not their goal. I am glad they finally got out of their superhero comfort zone.

This movie is a definite 8/10 for me. Can't wait to see more of Gal Gadot in the inevitable sequel.

anaron

I think the last act could've been boring 'let's fight this big old supernatural thing' but was saved and became something great because of the emotional investment in it of the characters and the audience. I was moved by Diana and Steve's relationship, and Steve's sacrifice, and her realisation, way more than I have been by any 'love story' in any superhero movie before. I was also impressed by the ballsy move to stand loud and proud with the whole LOVE and HUMANITy message. Is it a little corny? Sure! Is it unlike any CBM and touching because of the earnestness of the two main characters? Absolutely. It's bold stuff and elevates the movie.

This this this

I adored Diana's affirmation of believing in love

ramparter

Banned
Watched the movie yestereday, enjoyed it a lot, easily the best DCEU, liked it more than a few MCU movies like Captain America 1 but I can't believe critics scored it higher than Guardians of the Galaxy 2. And people said critics were more lenient towards Marvel lol.

Next

Watched the movie yestereday, enjoyed it a lot, easily the best DCEU, liked it more than a few MCU movies like Captain America 1 but I can't believe critics scored it higher than Guardians of the Galaxy 2. And people said critics were more lenient towards Marvel lol.

GOTG 2 was a big disappointment for me. It's like they replaced all the fun from the first movie with forced "please be sad now" emotional scenes.

ArmGunar

Saw it, that was very good !

But I still prefer Man of Steel (action, Crowe, Superman character, Zod, fight in Smallville and Metropolis) and BvS

But i expected a great No Man's Land, I thought it was good but overrated, on the other side, the scene just after the No Man's Land was super

Don't go to concerts much? That seems pretty par for the course, and how on earth is it a fucking mess?
Not the guy you're replying to, but I've gone to plenty of concerts and none of them lit the stage like a rave for literally a whole song. Orchestral performances usually don't have any sort of special effects lighting either; the music is supposed to speak for itself.

GotG2 is in the "really fun, good-not-great" tier for me. The Nebula/Gamora stuff and Peter/Gamora stuff brings it down, and many scenes don't really click.

TyrantII

I'm one of the minority guys that apparently didn't think GotG2 was so hot. Some reason it just didn't do it for me like the first did.

I also saw Logan for the first time last night which was much better than GotG2 IMO. Like WW the third act is a little bit of a mess, and has a little too much exposition; but the concept of a character movie first, super hero movie second was great to see. Still, I think it's more tame last battle is something WW should have looked toward.

LakeEarth

I watched it last night and liked it a lot. I do think the movie took a hard dip at the end with the Ares fight, for lots of reasons, but the main bad guy's pushbroom mustache made him really hard to take seriously (could still see it even when he had the helmet on). He apparently had that mustache since the ancient times, so I guess it's hard to give up.

I must commend this film for getting through the Themyscira parts relatively fine. I was worried it would be difficult to make 'work' but I think they did a good job with it.

I'm one of the minority guys that apparently didn't think GotG2 was so hot. Some reason it just didn't do it for me like the first did.

I also saw Logan for the first time last night which was much better than GotG2 IMO. Like WW the third act is a little bit of a mess, and has a little too much exposition; but the concept of a character movie first, super hero movie second was great to see. Still, I think it's more tame last battle is something WW should have looked toward.

As I have said to friends, when GotG2 is the worst comicbook flick of the year, it's a great year.

Logan > WW > GotG2, but GotG2 is solid.

Aside, I see yet another comment about where Themysryra is based on the size of their boat. Steve says in the movie that they got towed while Diana was sleeping, but given how often this comes up, I assume people miss it a lot.

As I have said to friends, when GotG2 is the worst comicbook flick of the year, it's a great year.

Logan > WW > GotG2, but GotG2 is solid.

Aside, I see yet another comment about where Themysryra is based on the size of their boat. Steve says in the movie that they got towed while Diana was sleeping, but given how often this comes up, I assume people miss it a lot.
you don't need the boat. Steven crashed with a fighter plane which have a very limited range. Which puts the islands somewhere in the Aegaen sea.

Even getting towed the travel from there to London would take multiple days and it made no sense for Diana to miss docking on another boat anyways. Nor for the boat to take them all the way there.

you don't need the boat. Steven crashed with a fighter plane which have a very limited range. Which puts the islands somewhere in the Aegaen sea.

Even getting towed the travel from there to London would take multiple days and it made no sense for Diana to miss docking on another boat anyways. Nor for the boat to take them all the way there.

Steven is actually Aquaman.

I just roll with the Doug Walker defense. It's a 2 and a half hour movie, they didn't really need a scene of Steve paying a commercial ship to toe them.

Dispatch

So yeah this one of those movies wich is even better with a second viewing.

I felt differently after the second viewing. I found that what I liked (Diana and Steve, No Man's Land, Themyscira) still stood out, especially No Man's Land. When she slips off the trench coat and climbs the ladder, I got chills.

However, Ares' dialogue was super-cheesy ("Then, I will destrooooooy you!") and Thewlis didn't seem to be able to pull off the bluster necessary. The crew that Trevor assembles is underdeveloped.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it faded a little for me after a second viewing.

Paganmoon

Saw it yesterday, really liked it, as others have mentioned best DCEU to date. Enjoyed it much more than any MCU film as of late (hopes are up for Spider-Man to get them "back on track").

By no means a perfect film, but very enjoyable nontheless. Liked the slo-mo sequences (I like being able to actually see the action). Really liked the WW theme as well. Sort of reminds me of Xena somehow, maybe it reminds me of the war cry? Anyone else?

Never followed Wonder Woman, but this movie made me want a WB Games/Rocksteady Wonder Woman game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

If I lived on an island of men my entire life, I can absolutely assure you that I would fall in love with the first woman I met, and she wouldn't even have to be gorgeous.

Quick

Banned
She'd just need to be above average, I'd say.

How do you get an an average when your sample size is 1?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom