• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah (The Daily Show) on the Philando Castile ruling and dash cam video

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I saw the dashcam video. It went from 0 to 11 in a matter of seconds. The driver clearly tells the officer he has a firearm. Was the driver reaching for his wallet or something that caused the officer to freak out as much as he did all of a sudden ?

Extremely tragic event through out.
No the officer is simply a piece of shit. The guy stated that he feared for his life, and that because Castillo smoked marijuana and was driving with a suspended license with his daughter in the car, he was afraid of what he'd do to him.

Most of the jury was white, they had nothing to fear if they ruled against him.

You act like white people aren't ever killed by cops. More white people get killed by cops than black people (which they should because of the population size differential). Clearly black people are targeted much more aggressively as we see in the news all the time but it doesn't mean white people always get off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn, that bit about him throwing his hands out of the window in the second video is so sad. Sad that's a precaution they have to take.

Both videos got me sad as fuck. What's it gonna take, man.

Fantastic pieces by Noah, BTW.

cdyhybrid

You act like white people aren't ever killed by cops. More white people get killed by cops than black people (which they should because of the population size differential). Clearly black people are targeted much more aggressively as we see in the news all the time but it doesn't mean white people always get off.
Huh? I said ruling against a cop isn't going to change anything for them if they're white, not that white people are never killed by cops.

i-Lo

Wow, that was a powerful piece.

I have wondered if it'd be a great idea to:

1. Avail and mandate the wearing of better armour vests for center mass and head for all cops to make them "feel" safer,

2. Use (almost) non lethal weapon like tasers especially before the situation has escalated into or circumstance that unequivocally demands

3. Usage of lethal weapons.

And why has it not been done thus far...

blakep267

Can anyone with more knowledge than me tell me if there has been any police officer convicted in these cases?

It really feels like they have a license to kill. What are the consequences? As far as I can tell, there are none. Hell, the officer from Tulsa apparently had a party thrown for her. "Hey! Great job on killing that black man!" What the fuck.

After watching the dash cam footage and listening to Trevor Noah, my blood is boiling but I'm weighed down by an immense sadness. This is such fucking bullshit.
Maybe the Bart shooting/ fruitvale station. But that was kind of like, there ain't no choice to justify it by jurors. Dude was handcuffed.

i was ok until he said 'but Black People never forget their training' and that line broke me.

democracy doesn't always work, just ask the people that still fly the traitor flag.

comedian

I wouldn't write off Mr. Noir's opinion just because he represents the NRA. Don't be foolish.

https://www.facebook.com/COLIONNOIR/posts/1386059818110438

His Facebook post does not change my original comment. In the video you posted he spent the majority of his video attacking the MSM, and how is a victim from other black people that criticise him.

Now, his facebook post is interesting (I must note that despite being a lawyer, he really struggles to build simple sentences and structure in his arguments). I feel that you have to be quite naive to believe the official line. As a lawyer, I thought he would be more willing to question the evidence, rather than just accept it. The 2nd officer was on the other side of the car, did he not see anything ? (was it not his responsibility during the stop to do so?).

His Facebook post does not change my original comment. In the video you posted he spent the majority of his video attacking the MSM
Yes. Exactly. That's why this video is relevant to this thread (Daily Show, etc.), along with attacking the notion that the NRA is racist or white supremacist which is what my original post was about.
As a lawyer, I thought he would be more willing to question the evidence, rather than just accept it.
If you re-read his Facebook post, he does all of this and more.

Nepenthe

A clear case of murder of a black man from a white police officer that ended with a "not guilty" verdict, and we got people in this very thread mincing words about the jury's reasoning for not convicting and NRA.

This thread is an example of why black people are always pissed the fuck off.

molnizzle

Cool, I can find a single white guy who thinks they are. Does that like cancel out the black guy or will I need like majority of white votes to cancel out the black guy since he's like the black representative?

What's the individual to hivemind ratio formula for figuring this out? I keep forgetting.

I believe 3:5 is the U.S. government standard.

Cool, I can find a single white guy who thinks they are. Does that like cancel out the black guy or will I need like majority of white votes to cancel out the black guy since he's like the black representative?

What's the individual to hivemind ratio formula for figuring this out? I keep forgetting.
Why so defensive?

The officer was a white guy?
Doesn't matter you get rewarded for killing blacks in this country.

Just ignore the troll the more time they waste of yours the happier they are.
Yeah. I'm the troll. Colion Noir is also a troll. I'm out of this thread.
1RgiH9c.gif

I believe 3:5 is the U.S. government standard.

What you did there has been seen good sir!

Why so defensive?

I just wanted to know the formula mang! I mean if you're going to summon a random black dude like pokemon, I at least need to know how many white folks I gotta summon to counter. Geez. All I asked were for the rules of the game, and here you are getting all uppity.

You seem like the kinda dude who'd pop into a slavery thread and link to a letter written by a slave saying he loved his life on the plantation as proof slavery wasn't bad.

Yeah. I'm the troll. Colion Noir is also a troll. I'm out of this thread.
1RgiH9c.gif

I mean yea you are, but at least you're on the path to bettering yourself! Admitting is the first step!

Media

My son, who's part white part Native but passes, is apparently woke as fuck. He just saw this clip and came to me ranting about how if he was the other cop he'd have shot Yanez, how cops just shouldn't carry weapons, etc. He's nearly 14.

I fear that all of this exposure to awful cops is going to breed a mistrust in him so he won't remember the training and end up getting killed for mouthing off or something. I'm just thankful he passes, which makes me a horrible person.

SummitAve

Banned
That's the point. The NRA doesn't give a fuck about the rights of legal gun owners if they're not white.

It didn't come up in the trial as Yanez did not know if he was a legal owner or not, but I'm not sure if it was ever established he was technically a legal gun owner since he lied on his application and had marijuana in his system. I'm not sure what the NRA would say about this other than stress the importance of not using drugs or alcohol while carrying. I agree with your general sentiment though.

Nepenthe

But that isn't what you said and you know it. Now you're just getting snotty because you got a fact wrong, got called out, and your feelings are hurt.

I get it though. It happens.

I already answered your question and thus admitted I was mistaken. However, clearly this mistake is more important to you than the racism on display.

I get it though.

Its pretty obvious. He said something that was factually incorrect and was corrected.

I'm a woman.

Clearly I'm not the only one making assumptions.

Nepenthe

Good on you, admitting you were wrong is hard on the internet. We can move on then.

You haven't apologized for misgendering me. I would appreciate it if you could admit you were wrong.

EDIT: Good on you, admitting you were wrong is hard on the internet.

Nepenthe

Suggestion:

Take about a day, then come back and read this thread again from beginning to end, including watching the videos.

Then tell us how you feel about what you did and, more importantly, how you did it.

I corrected a black woman about the race of an officer in a case that has more importantly reaffirmed her feelings of worthlessness in this country due to a nearly all-white jury with pro-cop members on it not convicting an officer in a clear-cut case of murder against a black man who did everything right.

I am a good person.

I corrected one factual inaccuracy in your post and made no comment whatsoever how I felt about racism. You clearly aren't the type that can handle being corrected. It must suck to be you. Either way you were wrong, and that is that. Good day.

The correction is irrelevant to the fact that your posting habits in this thread in particular do not show an actual concern towards the real victim of this case, mainly because you haven't said anything yet in lieu of making sure people know the officer wasn't white. Clearly you aren't the type that can handle being called out for showing your ass. It must suck to be you. Either way, you were called out for acting like a fuckboi, and that is that. Good day.

Can someone please post links that work outside of states? I forgot the name of the site that lets you do that.

"youpak" instead of "youtube" should make it work.

I corrected one factual inaccuracy in your post and made no comment whatsoever how I felt about racism. You clearly aren't the type that can handle being corrected. It must suck to be you. Either way you were wrong, and that is that. Good day.

We have people in this and other threads discussing the NRA's silence in the whole matter. You are being silent on the matter aside from correcting something you consider an inaccuracy. (There are White Hispanics and Black Hispanics, so he at least looks like a White Hispanic, by the way). There's implication in what is said and not said. If you're proud to waive around things such as someone's supposed inability to properly receive communication over the internet, you are doing a disservice by not attempting to deescalate the situation and attempting to communicate again in a way that may be received correctly.

On topic now:
The dash cam did something to me in a way I didn't really expect. Much like Trevor and others have said, you think maybe you'd be desensitized to these things.... but that video and realizing it got as far as it did, and the jury of his peers came to that verdict? It's absolutely depressing. And it's sad to see, typically the only people in my facebook friend circle that post a problem about it are black.

Mathunilx

Neo Member
Let me just play the devil's advocate here

The cop should be in jail, the father did nothing wrong and trevor noah is completely spot on.

I didn't play the devil's advocate because there's just no way to justify what happened.

You're acting like a huge cunt. You can correct me on that though

Dereck

The cop should be in jail, the father did nothing wrong and trevor noah is completely spot on.

I didn't play the devil's advocate because there's just no way to justify what happened.
You almost got me

Nepenthe

If more people did this in these kinds of cases, we'd at least be a few steps further than we are now.

Nepenthe

"Fuckboi" and "cunt", stay classy.

Ignoring the fact that you called me snotty first, thereby exposing even more hypocrisy, nocturnaldelight didn't insult you. Are you going to address their post as well as the actual victim in this case, or are you going to continue lording over the thread on the fact that the officer isn't white?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm sitting in my car crying, cause I just don't feel safe anymore, I'm a black man in his 20s and this whole situation has struck me that they could have really been me, it could still be me, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Top Bottom