• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car needs an engine replacement. Go for it or get something new?

IISANDERII

So my 2000 Mustang's engine overheated badly due to a busted thermostat not communicating that it was overheating and there's a lot of damage. Basically looking at a new engine, which will run me around $1500-$2000. The car isn't exactly in -amazing- shape outside of that [roof is getting very rusty, driver's door needs a new hinge] but I at least know what I've got. It's at 190,000 miles right now.

Alternatively, I can afford around $3000 in cash for a new car. I can also consider buying a used one from a dealer, but I have 0 credit. [I just got a credit card and am starting to build my credit now, after a lifetime of not doing so.]

Is it smarter to fix up my car and replace the engine, or should I go for something in my price range? Is $3000 enough to really get a decent replacement? Where should I look? I know Craigslist, but that's about it.
There may be other things wrong with it that you don't know about yet.

I don't suppose there's any wisdom in fixing my Mustang now, using the time I have it to build my credit, then, once it dies in the future, using my improved credit to get a decent deal on a newer model?

Probably too risky, or?
You don't want to be stuck without a car when you're looking to buy another, a dealer would smell the desperation. Get a reliable, $8000 car now on a loan and build your credit that way. We're talking most basic ass car you can find with maybe 50,000 miles and a few years. It'll be good for you.

friday

You don't want to be stuck without a car when you're looking to buy another, a dealer would smell the desperation. Get a reliable, $8000 car now on a loan and build your credit that way. We're talking most basic ass car you can find with maybe 50,000 miles and a few years. It'll be good for you.

Pretty solid advice. Reliable Japanese cars can be had for $8000 all day.

kmfdmpig

5d7e46ce2398eb4b906471c640fd6c98.png

Looks like these are the interest rates at my credit union.

Those are good rates, but unless your credit rating is ~700 or so it's likely the rates you'd have will be higher (or even much higher).

DonShula

Call your credit union, OP. Do NOT go calling dealers for financing options! Decide how much you want to spend and then shop based on that amount. You will get rooked at those "finance here" places if you just walk in and want to talk financing. They will ask you how much you want to spend per month and then inflate the actual price of the car. Your credit union will almost certainly have the lowest rates available to you.

Credit unions almost always have better rates than larger banks, and will always have better rates for people that don't have great credit scores (not implying you fall into that category). I've only ever seen my credit union's rates beaten by a dealership selling a brand new vehicle with zero percent financing.

There's something to be said for just spending the cash on the car and not locking yourself into a loan, too.

SpecX

I'm gonna echo what others have said and get another car. That new engine might put too much strain on the transmission which is older now and cause that to have to be rebuilt/replaced. This could then lead to other connected components failing and you could end up paying what you would for a replacement car putting you in the hole.

3000 will get you a decent to and from vehicle for work and whatnot. Hell, you can get vehicles that will last several years for that kind of cash if you don't mind older ones. Check craigslist, local used car lots, the paper, ECT.

Edit: Personal recommendation, but look for a Bonneville with the 3800 motor I think. You can get them for under 3 grand usually, and they are decent passenger vehicles with a little get up and go and the motors are fucking bulletproof.

conpfreak

Get a new car and leave Ford and other domestics alone. While they can be fairly reliable I'd taken care of, they pale in comparison to a Toyota or Honda. Get a running Honda Accord in good condition, go for high mileage to hit your price range, and call it a day. Look for a Nissan Maxims to have an easier time hitting $3000.

Ptaaty

I'd use the 3k to pick up a used civic or corolla, something like that. You'll be good for years to come.
Given op point a to b priority...something like this is the answer. You might want to look up reliability data for other cars in the price range. I've had two civics go a very long time with extremely low maintenance and no actual repairs....but they old ones might hold more value compared with other cars.
Poster above might be on something...Maxima and Altima might be a better bang for buck in the price range.

ZOONAMI

Yeah a used Altima or maxima is a pretty good way to go.

They'll go 200k miles no problem.

If you have a CVT though I would change the tranny fluid every 40k miles or so though.

I have had a Sentra and an altima and both of them went over 200k with virtually no maintenance other than oil changes.

GM V6s as shortbox said are generally bulletproof too and honestly get pretty good gas mileage.

Even a VW as long as it's at least an 08, the 2.0 and 2.5 engines are pretty great, and VW resale has taken a killing because of the emissions scandal.

I have a 2010 vw Tiguan and have had zero problems 70k miles (I know that's fairly low but VW seems to get a bad rap but I think thats mainly for early 00s models as far as reliability goes).

I guess you may want to avoid turbos as you may eventually have to replace it but you may not have to ever even worry about it if you're easy on it. Usually wouldn't be til 150k miles + you might need to replace a turbo.

2006 Chevy Impala, 150k miles, $3700. (No idea yet if it has to all be up front or they accept payments, calling tomorrow)

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe, 90,000 miles, $3500 [Again, no idea if all up front or payments].

While that 2001 GT definitely looks tempting, I don't think I would recommend buying another 17 year old Ford. The Impala should also be a big no, because I've known way too many people, my sister included, that had a ton of problems out of the Impalas from that time period.

You say in the thread that you're not really a car person, so you should really consider just buying a used Japanese car with somewhat decent miles. If you can bump your budget up just a little more, you should be able to find a very decent Civic, Corolla (meh), or even maybe an Accord. Compared to a Chevy/Ford, you may pay a little more for the same year, but you will most likely save in the long run. That's not always the case! You could buy a Honda that blows up in a month and a Ford that drives for 30 more years, but the odds aren't really in your favor there. Also, I am fully aware that this is less of an issue nowadays, but I do feel like American manufacturers were still working through some issues for the models that OP would be looking at.

If you still want something a little sporty, then maybe consider a Honda Prelude. They stopped production in 2001, but they were really nice little cars that rode well, but were also fun to drive. Your only problem will be finding one that hasn't been "riced out" and driven into the ground. Also, the automatics had a lot of problems, so only consider this option if you can find and drive a Manual.

Daria

If your friend is a mechanic, see if he can track down a rebuilt motor somewhere. Should run you under 1k + what he'll charge for labor.

Patrick S.

Banned
Is $2k the price for a new engine or a used engine? If used, don't spend that much without getting some kind of warranty on it. I've bought a used engine to repair my Renault Clio Williams, and the engine I got made much less power than the old one. I didn't have any warranty and was screwed out a lot of money.

Is $2k the price for a new engine or a used engine? If used, don't spend that much without getting some kind of warranty on it. I've bought a used engine to repair my Renault Clio Williams, and the engine I got made much less power than the old one. I didn't have any warranty and was screwed out a lot of money.

much less power? That shouldn't happen unless the new engine isn't running right. Though with a renault clio, they have like 10 different engines. Maybe you got a base model engine instead of the 2.0L that comes in the williams.

Amagon

I'm in a similar situation like the OP myself right now. Looking at a 2012 Chevy Sonic, about 50k miles for about $8000. Worth the price? It's in great shape with the bells and whistles.

Patrick S.

Banned
much less power? That shouldn't happen unless the new engine isn't running right. Though with a renault clio, they have like 10 different engines. Maybe you got a base model engine instead of the 2.0L that comes in the williams.

It was the same engine. The only engine that looks similar to the Williams engine is the 1.8 16V, but I checked the engine code when I bought it, anyway. The "new" one felt slower and less torquey than the old one. Dunno if the old one had sportier cams or something...

It was the same engine. The only engine that looks similar to the Williams engine is the 1.8 16V, but I checked the engine code when I bought it, anyway. The "new" one felt slower and less torquey than the old one. Dunno if the old one had sportier cams or something...

Its possible the cams were different. It could also have been something like different timing.
Either way, I don't take a chance, and whenever I buy a used engine, I always tear it apart and at least put a new head gasket on. I've had friends in your situation, they put in a new engine thinking its ok, only to have to pull it out again.

I don't think the OP has a chance to buy a new engine as they don't make them anymore. Even if he went to a dealership he'd probably get a rebuilt engine.

Al-ibn Kermit

I dunno how to drive Manual anyways, sadly.

Actually at your cars mileage, if it has an automatic transmission then that is due for a rebuild soon which will cost about the same as replacing the engine.

Kamesan had some good recommendations. I'd say go on the used market and start looking around to see what models catch your eye and start reading up on their reliability reports, common issues, etc.

Good luck as I know car stuff can be stressful.

Actually at your cars mileage, if it has an automatic transmission then that is due for a rebuild soon which will cost about the same as replacing the engine.

Kamesan had some good recommendations. I'd say go on the used market and start looking around to see what models catch your eye and start reading up on their reliability reports, common issues, etc.

Good luck as I know car stuff can be stressful.

Transmissions don't usually need rebuilds if they've been properly maintained.

Anyway, to OP, if you go buy a used car, since you don't know anything about cars, buy one from an actual car dealership and not one of those shady used car dealerships. Usually, all the cars at those used car dealerships are bought at auction and come from the main dealerships who get rid of them for being not worth selling.

Home mechanic here (not professionally but I do all of my own car work).

You really are between a rock and hard place with those numbers. 3K wont get you any great used car. But it should get you a somewhat reliable one.

Also, a 2000 mustang with that many miles... I would be hesitant to drop 2K on it. Tranny probably isn't far behind. Plus without knowing the car's history.. suspension is probably close to shot, as is a bunch of other parts. Its a ford. If you said you had a Honda with 190K miles I would say get the engine, but a ford..... that's tough as the rest of the car probably isn't far behind.

Owner of a 03 accord here with 251K miles on it.

Flo_Evans

I don't suppose there's any wisdom in fixing my Mustang now, using the time I have it to build my credit, then, once it dies in the future, using my improved credit to get a decent deal on a newer model?

Probably too risky, or?

The only way to build your credit is to finance stuff.

OP, buying your first car on credit is an excellent way to build your credit rating. Far better than a credit card.

I strongly recommend you look in the 8-9K range on something used. You should be able to get the car payments well under 200 a month. The first car I financed was a 98 Honda Civic that I wound up keeping for 200K miles and only got rid of because it kept getting broken into.

When the engine goes on a car like that, the transmission frequently goes shortly after.

FreezeSSC

Dont rebuild the engine get a newer car with lower miles. At that mileage youre going to have tons of other things start breaking down, fuel pump, transmission, a/c etc. My girlfriends dad went this route and totaling the repairs for the new engine plus all the stuff that's broken since hes spent 6k in about 2 years time..

OP, buying your first car on credit is an excellent way to build your credit rating. Far better than a credit card.

I strongly recommend you look in the 8-9K range on something used. You should be able to get the car payments well under 200 a month. The first car I financed was a 98 Honda Civic that I wound up keeping for 200K miles and only got rid of because it kept getting broken into.

When the engine goes on a car like that, the transmission frequently goes shortly after.

This might be my best option. Only problem is I'm struggling to find any lots around that will do financing.

I've called seven dealers today, basically all of them within 20 miles of me, and they're all cash only. I may have to look at Houston dealers, which will be a hassle to get a ride to, but oh well.

I may also have a 2008 Crown Victoria with 150K miles available for $2700. I dunno if that sounds viable at all.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This might be my best option. Only problem is I'm struggling to find any lots around that will do financing.

I've called seven dealers today, basically all of them within 20 miles of me, and they're all cash only. I may have to look at Houston dealers, which will be a hassle to get a ride to, but oh well.

I may also have a 2008 Crown Victoria with 150K miles available for $2700. I dunno if that sounds viable at all.
I'd recommend replacing the engine in your Mustang and saving up more money for a better car. Even if you got a loan, you would still have a bigger down payment or extra money for tax, registration, insurance, etc. A $3000 used car will likely have it's own set of problems and in my experience won't last that long without maintenance. As others have said, you're better off keeping your Mustang because you know its quirks and its cheaper.

I don't know what your family situation is like, but also consider asking one of them (preferably your parents if possible) to cosign on a loan. If you can walk into a dealership already approved that really helps.

Pein

Banned
Get a cheap used civic, one from the late 90s or early 2000's shouldn't be too much. You can keep the rest of your cash for repairs or maintenance.

A old nissan maxima is another good choice too.

have you tried gettting a loan from your bank? Might be easier than a dealer. But it depends on the dealer. I'd say go to your local honda or toyota dealer and see what you can get thats cheap. Try to get a certified used car if possible.

Also, of the three cars you've posted, I wouldn't recommend any of them.

NH Apache

Banned
OP, I have a 2006 Jetta for sale for $2300. 117k miles. Cracked windshield and the radio is hard to see as it's fading. Easily cruises at illegal speeds on the highway. A/C Ice cold. Haven't put it on CL yet but I will for about $3200.

You have to have something similar on CL near you. Those Jettas are from the good manufacturing years before they became plastic Honda types. 2006 book value is like $2700 but they drive like a dream and have all current amenities: Leather, AC, Auto everything, sunroof, etc, etc. Get the 2.5 5 cylinder like mine. 32 mpg highway at 85mph.

What I'm saying is that you have better options.

Look at CL and have a local mechanic check it over pre-purchase. It'll cost you 100 bucks but it's worth every penny. You have the cash for a car that will work for years.

Alright guys, I got two options. And when I say I got two options, I mean I got two options. I've talked to my credit union [I can't get a loan, turns out my shithead father did some real damage to my credit by taking out some stuff in my name when I was younger], I've checked every local dealer and private seller, these are my options. So please don't say "both options suck", I know they do, they're my only ones.

Option 1: 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. 153,000 miles. $2500.

Option 2: 2006 Impala. 160,000 miles. $3650.

Both are in impeccable shape on the exterior. Neither have engine lights or any visible problems. I'm told Crossfire might have more electrical problems that are expensive to fix, but the Impala will cost a lot more up front.

So what do you guys think I should go with?

Alright guys, I got two options. And when I say I got two options, I mean I got two options. I've talked to my credit union [I can't get a loan, turns out my shithead father did some real damage to my credit by taking out some stuff in my name when I was younger], I've checked every local dealer and private seller, these are my options. So please don't say "both options suck", I know they do, they're my only ones.

Both are in impeccable shape on the exterior. Neither have engine lights or any visible problems. I'm told Crossfire might have more electrical problems that are expensive to fix, but the Impala will cost a lot more up front.

Option 1. Lower miles and lower cost. Two years isn't any difference in terms of model number at those years. Save the remainder for maintenance because you will need it.

Option 1. Lower miles and lower cost. Two years isn't any difference in terms of model number at those years. Save the remainder for maintenance because you will need it.

That's my thought but literally all my friends are trying to deter me away from the Crossfire. They're saying Chryslers suck, that repairs will be insanely expensive because of the rarity, etc.

Basically saying the Chrysler will cost me much more in the long run.

ColdPizza

Banned
That's my thought but literally all my friends are trying to deter me away from the Crossfire. They're saying Chryslers suck, that repairs will be insanely expensive because of the rarity, etc.

Basically saying the Chrysler will cost me much more in the long run.

Has the timing belt/chain been replaced on the Impala?

Take the 3K put it into a loan for a 6-7.5k vehicle, your interest rate will probably be dog shit, refinance that in about a year, pay it off as fast as possible (don't starve over it) and this will actually improve the shit out of your credit score.

Your dad is an asshole. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Take the 3K put it into a loan for a 6-7.5k vehicle, your interest rate will probably be dog shit, refinance that in about a year, pay it off as fast as possible (don't starve over it) and this will actually improve the shit out of your credit score.

Man I just said I can't do that. Like, I literally can't. Everywhere except my credit union turned me down for a loan and their interest rate is out of my affordability. I'd be looking at $300/mo payment on it, minimum, which I can't afford.

Your dad is an asshole. Sorry, but it had to be said.

I mean he's serving an 18 year sentence for beating the shit out of his girlfriend [third offense] so, yeah.

Man I just said I can't do that. Like, I literally can't. Everywhere except my credit union turned me down for a loan and their interest rate is out of my affordability. I'd be looking at $300/mo payment on it, minimum, which I can't afford.

I mean he's serving an 18 year sentence for beating the shit out of his girlfriend [third offense] so, yeah.
In my defense I offered that advice before I actually saw why you can't. You technically can't with your credit union, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't get a loan with a high interest rate through a bank (bank gonna be shady as fuck though). I fully got the gist of your situation now. You need to speak to a credit counselor to see what you options specifically are for further down the road. You can't do much of anything with your credit being like this.

In my defense I offered that advice before I actually saw why you can't. You technically can't with your credit union, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't get a loan with a high interest rate through a bank (bank gonna be shady as fuck though). I fully got the gist of your situation now. You need to speak to a credit counselor to see what you options specifically are for further down the road. You can't do much of anything with your credit being like this.

Don't worry, I did and am on the road to better credit. I got a $200 secured credit card that I use to buy gas, etc and pay off quickly, which is improving my credit.Also have my apartment complex submitting proof of my rent payments, which has helped a bit as well.

My credit is improving steadily and will be in a good place in a year or two, but until then, I need some quick wheels. I was hoping my old Mustang would make it, but unfortunately, the Texas summer killed the poor thing.

Don't worry, I did and am on the road to better credit. I got a $200 secured credit card that I use to buy gas, etc and pay off quickly, which is improving my credit.Also have my apartment complex submitting proof of my rent payments, which has helped a bit as well.

My credit is improving steadily and will be in a good place in a year or two, but until then, I need some quick wheels. I was hoping my old Mustang would make it, but unfortunately, the Texas summer killed the poor thing.
Yeah it should take a bit. I improved my credit drastically with a car loan, but it's going to take you a bit. The important thing is that you at least already have housing established. Also see if you can just give a dealership the mustang if it'll get you closer to a better car.

Dishwalla

Banned
Honestly out of those two options, the Chevy. I don't trust Chrysler products.

Or if you absolutely have no better options then perhaps buying a new engine for that Mustang would be best.

Honestly out of those two options, the Chevy. I don't trust Chrysler products.

Or if you absolutely have no better options then perhaps buying a new engine for that Mustang would be best.

Yeah, normally I wouldn't even consider a Chrysler but supposedly the 2004 Crossfire is more like a Mercedes in disguise. I can't seem to find much bad about it.

That said, I'm going to be checking both at a mechanic on Monday. My only worry is the Impala seller removed his from the website he was selling it on. I'm hoping that doesn't mean he sold it already.

Transmissions on Fords tend to fall apart around 200k miles and you're pretty much there. Even if you repaired the engine, the tranny is going to give up the ghost and cost you another $2000 to repair soon after.

It's time to buy a car.

I mean if your choice is between Chevy (American) and Chrysler (American), you're buying American either way. I would look for a Civic or something around $3k because those cars are indestructible unless you crash them.

Slo

OP, the KBB value of a 2000 Mustang with a V6 and 190k miles is about $1000. Please don't put $2k+ into a $1k car.

https://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/20...ate-party&options=6306821|true&condition=good

A bit of advice, you're at the point with this car where it's going to start falling the fuck apart. I know it's tempting to want to insta-fix the problem and just get your old familiar car back, but you're going to be fighting with this thing every other day for the next few years. No offense but you don't seem like the kind of guy who's gonna wrench on an old car to keep it running, given that you weren't sure if you even had a V6 or a V8.

If I were you, I'd get a loan and buy something that I'm confident will start every morning.

Transmissions on Fords tend to fall apart around 200k miles and you're pretty much there. Even if you repaired the engine, the tranny is going to give up the ghost and cost you another $2000 to repair soon after.

It's time to buy a car.

I mean if your choice is between Chevy (American) and Chrysler (American), you're buying American either way. I would look for a Civic or something around $3k because those cars are indestructible unless you crash them.

I've looked for every Civic I can. Most wound up being scams, others were in terrible shape. Sadly I don't have a ton of options being in a small town. Houston is within a semi-driveable distance, but the problem is I'm ubering there each time, so the multiple trips it'd take to work out buying a car [verification, mechanic, title, etc] are risky.

Top Bottom