• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

Seventy5

Not at all. Even with the stuff from today, the only thing I am interested in on WiiU is Zombi, and I will just hope for a PArt port of some sort. I think I have outgrown Nintendo.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Not even close

Yep. I don't like any Nintendo franchises, the 3rd party support is anemic and the price is high for what you get. I can't imagine this console will thrive at the end of the year with new competition unless there is a $200 price difference and people really get excited about more copy paste jumping plumber games.

Ravage

Close, but not yet.

Monolith's game looks great but i need more details before getting all hyped up. I'm not into MMOs and MH, so i really hope the vibe i'm getting from the trailer isn't representative of the actual gameplay.

Not a fan of Fire Emblem so the SMTxFE announcement did nothing for me. Unless of course, it's not a SRPG and is more SMT than FE.

HardRojo

Wow. I do need to buy a Wii U. I always intended to buy one, but I need to hurry up. I did not expect Nintendo to come out with all of this megaton news.

No need to hurry, the games have been announced but they are gonna take some time, Nintendo has certainly made the idea of getting a Wii U in the future a lot more enticing though.

Oneself

I'll get only one "next gen" console, probably Sony's new machine since I'm generally more satisfied with their 1st party releases. That is if they keep traditionnal controllers. But I will follow Microsoft's offering closely too as I would still be enjoying a 360 if it wasn't for it RROD-ing every 8 months.

I'll get the Wii U when it reaches a price of around 150$ or something, for NSMB2 and Rayman at least. That's what I've done with the Wii and it made me realize it wasn't worth the full price tag it was going for in the first few years.
2013 is filled with great titles for the "current generation" and I've got more than enough games on my list coming out this year to keep me satisfied.

Also, I don't like Nintendo's new philosophy of trying to push old tech with "new controls", most of my favorite Wii games were "plagued" by this need of new controls.
NSMB, Wario, DKC:R etc. all would have been a bit better IMO without the shaking and tilting stuff, since it's just not fun to me. And yes, maybe I'm getting old but through the years, Nintendo seems to have lowered their "seal of quality" standards even for their own, 1st party titles.

gerudoman

I'll probably buy it once X is released, but I knew it even before the game was shown so... Except for X, I haven't seen anything really exciting, I guess I'll have to wait until E3.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not at all.

Wind Waker HD needs to be more of an overhaul than a straight port to even consider purchase.

Yoshi's Story 2 has a lot to prove beyond just an announcement.

Fire Emblem x Megaten...maybe, but not for an entire console.

I was done with Mario Kart a decade ago.

Smash Bros...not earlier than 2016 right?

HardRojo

No.

And they will never be able to.

I simply don't understand this, they've announced a lot of games, interesting games really, I understand not being interested now but not being interested by the time those newly announced games arrive? You have probably never been interested in the Wii U to begin with.

Pretty disappointed on the graphics on display here as well. Definitely is a match and nothing more of 360/PS3 and not even a top tier match.

Wow. I do need to buy a Wii U. I always intended to buy one, but I need to hurry up. I did not expect Nintendo to come out with all of this megaton news.

I'm glad to see Wind Waker getting an HD remake, Monolith Soft's game looks amazing, the Fire Emblem cross over title is a pleasant surprise, very excited for Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101, and confirmation of Smash Bros 4, Super Mario 3D, and Mario Kart going to be present at E3 was nice to know about, but I appriciate they didn't show them off yet cause Nintendo's gonna need some surprises left for E3. That Yoshi Game looks interesting, but I wish Good Feel went with a different art style. Maybe it will grow on me later on.

Nintendo expanding Miiverse and the Virtual Console addition are going to rock my world. I'm very pleased to see Nintedo's head has been in the game, but they've just needed more time to prepare all of this stuff for us.

I don't think you need the 'Hurry up' bro. Unless you want to hurry up to wait a long ass time.

tyrone888

Neo Member
Already bought one. Too many games on it that I haven't finished yet so I'm glad the release dates for these new games aren't any time soon.

Mxrz

No, not really. When they drop the price by about $100, and it has some games out, I'll give it another glance. It does seem like they hit the panic button. Expected a bit more for a WW HD announcement.

ultron87

I was already 100% going to buy it when Smash comes out and then catch up with ZombiU and other interesting stuff. So now it is just 100% buy it when X, Smash or possibly Wind Waker come out.

They already had me at Bayonetta 2/Kamiya. I've just been waiting it out, though today (Wind Waker HD & Monolith Soft X) has made that wait more agonising.

No and even I own a Wii U. I can't recommend this system to anyone except for possibly the most apologetic and forgiving Nintendo sympathizers. Niche games that just look tired and exhausted, as well as jrpgs that will do little to ignite interest outside Japan.

Hiltz

Well, there's enough games coming out just in the first half of the year for me to want to buy a Wii U. Back on the Wii and GameCube, I only purchased two games until the holiday season. MH3U HD alone will give me months of playtime, if not years.

spock

Yea, Christmas 2013. My guess is they will do a price drop to 299, have some rocking software out and that will be the right point for me.

Already bought one. Too many games on it that I haven't finished yet so I'm glad the release dates for these new games aren't any time soon.

Unless your a married dad with 4 kids yeah your the only one with a backlog at this point. Do not listen to this man Nintendo!

No, don't care about the franchises on offer here. Aside from Bayonetta 2 it seems like Nintendo isn't doing anything to leave their safe-zone. And I'm not a fan of Bayonetta.

The_Monk

Bayonetta 2 could do the trick for me and make me buy one but I would still need more Wii U exclusives. It does not makes sense for me to buy a console if there is, let's say less than 5-10 games that I'm interested.

With Sony and MS releasing new consoles very soon my money will be on Sony most likely.

My last Nintendo console was my Silver Game-Boy pocket by the way (which I still have it in mint condition!)

Bizazedo

Statements like this are really ridiculous.

Depends how he meant it.

Without explanation, it doesn't help and is a useless post, BUT, if he meant it along the lines of "They never will [edit ADD] as it still doesn't look like they'll have anything but first party games with a smattering of third party games on an underpowered system when compared to the next PS and X-box"...

Well, in that frame of reference it's not so ridiculous.

But a bad post, it was.

Absolutely not. I would consider buying one if it was 30 dollars or free just so I could sell it back to make a profit. I wouldn't even KEEP a wiiU or wii just because it would take up space and there's not even anything I want for it. The last first party nintendo game I cared about was super Metroid,and zelda a link to the past. And anything that's multi platform I'd buy for the 360. I'll buy a nintendo wiiU when they pay me to simply stick it in my closet to rot.

Too much banking on HD ports in my opinion. A new system shouldn't have MH3HD and WWHD as highlights. Those are games that fill in the cracks.

The Lamp

Anybody who's been paying attention for the past decade knows that Nintendo has titles like these in development in secret and announces them a year or less from release. The intelligent question wasn't whether it was going to have excellent first party games, the intelligent question was what a select few of those titles were going to be.

So no they didn't convince me. I already knew I was going to get a Wii U when the games arrive. One conference announcing games I expected (albeit a surprise or two) didn't force me one way or another.

The people who weren't going to get a Wii U and now suddenly must have one are confusing since this style of games announcement and development is par for the course for Nintendo.

Now I just gotta wait for a price drop and I know I'll be set.

ozfunghi

No and even I own a Wii U. I can't recommend this system to anyone except for possibly the most apologetic and forgiving Nintendo sympathizers. Niche games that just look tired and exhausted, as well as jrpgs that will do little to ignite interest outside Japan.

So you can't enjoy a game because it will be disregarded by others?

Too much banking on HD ports in my opinion. A new system shouldn't have MH3HD and WWHD as highlights. Those are games that fill in the cracks.

Yeah, those are definitely the highlights. This is even funnier considering they said WWHD was just filling in the cracks.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize I was responding to a troll.

fallingdove

Yeah I definitely am. I think there is still going to be a bigger upfront drought with this system then probably almost any before it since we didn't get any release dates on anything but whats coming already excites me so much more than the Wii.

You can tell Nintendo is in crazy panic mode.

-Panning photos of Wind Waker HD looked like it had been ripped from a powerpoint.
-Really thrown together X trailer
-Powerpoint Yoshi

That being said though I am day one for all of these games but they seem a long ways off.

I don't think you need the 'Hurry up' bro. Unless you want to hurry up to wait a long ass time.

This was really sad. Nintendo was definitely in crazy panic mode, with an emphasis on crazy. You have to really be worried if you are forced to show games in these stages.

None of these games are coming out any time soon. In the west, if we see X at all, it won't be before 2015. They aren't even close to releasing the next Zelda so we get an HD remake?

Not a single piece of news should have distracted from the sahara desert that will be the Wii U's drought over the next year or more.

Well if they showed off new and interesting gameplay and told me that the games would be coming out this year, sure.

As it is now this anouncement is about as interesting as if Microsoft told us that there would be new Halo, Gears of War and Forza games for their new console.

nasos_333

Wasnt Monolith making a RPG for 3DS ?

Is that cancelled ?

As for the OP, i may buy a WiiU if these games are interesting when they arrive and when they arrive in US/Europe, that would take many years

Also dont like the new rendered look in Zelda WW, it is the one Zelda that did not need remaking for christ and still looks amazing even on a HDTV

Yawnier

Banned
Eh, I'm going to wait and see what Sony and Microsoft show us at E3 in June first, but aside from that I see myself probably purchasing 1 next gen console sometime near the holiday season some 10 or 11 months from now.

Also, I have a feeling that Nintendo could drop the price of both of the Wii U skus sometime in the fall or make up a new, enticing bundle, so I'm just going to wait until then.

amekbv.gif

aturjs.gif
7NQTw.gif

Alias Greed

Neo Member
No,

This Games don't exist yet as in there not available to be bought in English. When they are available by then the Wii U should have had its first price drop.

Then I'll consider buying a Wii U.

pixlexic

Banned
I bought a wii u at launch because I knew these ges where coming. Any gamer should have known these types of games were coming so all that's left is the console fanboys and they won't be swayed.

spock

They already have one SKU @ 299.

Indeed, I'm thinking deluxe though. Personally I hope they just drop the damn multi sku model for thier own sake.

Btw, to all those talking or bringing up new IP's, you have to realize new IP's are not really systems sellers in contrast to established brands. New IP's are a risk. You want to create new IP's but you have to do so much more strategically. Turning a new IP to a profitable brand is HARD.

MS & Sony will also put more energy and bank first in established IP's especially during the early life cycle of a new console. Getting new IP's is where 3rd part support really has its advantage.

I own one and I'm still not convinced owning one matters. Wind Waker HD? Come on. Bunch of Mario games. Zzzzzz. Instill faith in me that it will be getting the big third party games that fill the huge holes between Nintendo releases. Otherwise Wii U is just that console I unplug most of the year waiting for another Nintendo title. Stop re-releasing games ffs.

Top Bottom