• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

MANUELF

Banned
Weren't Darker than Black and Gantz edgy?

There was that isekai manga that had the MC being trampled on by everyone until he got himself a furry waifu, that was strangely popular with some guys here and I thought it was incredibly edgy (and awful).

I guess Attack on Titan might count as edgy too, which means Tokyo Ghoul, Terra Formars, etc. are also edgy.

....What does edgy mean today

I take it as having violence or sex for the sake of shock value and it doesnt help the story at all

There was that isekai manga that had the MC being trampled on by everyone until he got himself a furry waifu, that was strangely popular with some guys here and I thought it was incredibly edgy (and awful).

If it's an edgy Isekai manga I've probably read it... Though currently I can only think of Arifureta off the top of my head, as it's definitely not Dungeon Seeker. Could be Monster no Goshujin-sama maybe? I don't know.. There's too many of them.

I want manga that go full out Revengeance cheese edge

This intrests me... What you thinking?

Sounds like Shield Hero.

Ahh Damn I think you're right, I forgot how edgy it was at the beginning... Not as edgy as things I've read since but at the time it was one of the edgier things I'd looked at. Compared to some of the **** I've read now it's all seems so tame and pleasant.

Prison School 246

I was thinking how silly is not only the fact that Gakuto is popular but that now he has groupies and has to hide and all that... then I remembered logic and realism doesn't really apply to mothefuckin' Prison School, so yeah, let's roll with it.

I see Kiyoshi pimping out Gakuto in the future to win money, lol.

Zweizer

Banned
Our Journey to Lesbian Motherhood ch3

Having a child despite being a gay couple is definitely a tough hurdle, especially considering how intolerant most of the world still is about it.

vPn1inX.png

That's the right attitude to have, even if it's an incredibly difficult fight.

upandaway

Dungeon Meshi 23-28 (Red Dragon)

A bit too much to digest to write something coherent about but yeah, holy crap. It was (and still is actually) one thing after another. I guess we're going straight in. Not even one break to the outside world. Phew. Hopefully I don't regret picking this up while it was ongoing 
(doubt I will, it's been a ton of fun and totally worth it)
but it's been becoming more and more intense lately and it doesn't feel like it's gonna stop anytime soon.

Everything about this is so clever and natural and well thought out. Like, every single little tiny corner of a whatever is rock solid. From how they formulated the plan to how it played out to everything else
(except for Laius, he's a straight up wildcard)
. It's honestly overwhelming. How much time did it take to plan this manga out god.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dungeon Edgi

Like Dungeon Meshi except instead of having fun cooking they eat raw monsters like animals.

Lain

I'm not as old as you man

Friend was still recommending this stuff in 2010 (2011?). I'm pretty sure he liked EVA but that's not the third one he recommended.

Bet it was bokurano!

Why not just read the original novel with the high quality art than just the make a quick buck manga adaptation of an LN? Apart from just seeing a few moments drawn, Ive never found the manga adaptations to be as pleasing as the novel.

I dont see any LN that I read that had the LN artist do the manga, oddly.

I find the Overlord manga to be superior to the light novel personally. The pacing feels faster with less time wasted.
I'm not surprised most novel artists don't do the manga adaptations though. It's one thing to draw 8/12 pages for a book, it is another to draw 200.

Met My Sister on a Dating Site (SFW short)
Yeah, I hate it when that happens. And then I hate it when we go to a love hotel 3 pages later... wait, what?

There's a fair bit of this artist's work getting translated recently. It's all yuri with oddly hilarious flustered facial expressions, so there're no complaints from me.

Oh my god stop saying edgy, jesus I hate that word
hi5

Hate y'all.

My work here is done for the day.
Did I even do anything?

Skyscraper Blues One Shot By Ono Natsume: If it seems like I have a thing for this Author at the moment, you're right, I do. But it's not just the Author but the story about A Japanese reporter and a suspended American police officer, following a trail through New York City in 1991. This is the original one-shot that preceded the serialization 'Have A Great Sunday' and takes a look at Racism and 'Fake News' both of which I found kinda poignant. I'd highly recommend giving it a read, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Prison School 247

This is going to be like that Always Sunny episode where Frank pimps out Dennis to old women except its Kiyoshi and Gakuto and its now hot gyaru

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 28

lraPWFb.png

Harpie is too pure for this world. Or more specifically, she's too pure for the princess. By this point, I can't believe the demon king is unsure about what/who could've ruined the castle's horns. Always assume it's the princess unless there's evidence to the contrary, like her being dead or something.

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord 3

Bloodlust only for those you find attractive + FeMC's preferences = Let's Make This a Yuritopia! Incidentally, there's no place for tracksuits in this yuritopia.

Jintor

Met My Sister on a Dating Site (SFW short)

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. And then I hate it when we go to a love hotel 3 pages later... wait, what?

There's a fair bit of this artist's work getting translated recently. It's all yuri with oddly hilarious flustered facial expressions, so there're no complaints from me.

sold

Bet it was bokurano!

I find the Overlord manga to be superior to the light novel personally. The pacing feels faster with less time wasted.
I'm not surprised most novel artists don't do the manga adaptations though. It's one thing to draw 8/12 pages for a book, it is another to draw 200.

Wouldnt the manga lose some of the thoughts momonga has. That was always my problem with the anime adaptations of the LNs and some of the mangas, specifically Mahouka Koukou seemed to lose some of the descriptive thoughts of Tatsuya or even just the text, that both adaptations mostly skipped.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch538

Don't make Kou-chan angry.

Keijo ch137

No battle manga is complete without explosions.

Watch out Miyata, you've got a rival for teamwork!

Prison School ch247

Kiyoshi making bank while Gakuto gets some fun, it's win-win! (lol)

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch28

The Princess is (relatively) nice to her friends, if they're useful to her.

What a naughty girl.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oh my god stop saying edgy, jesus I hate that word
Much Edgyness

I really don't know how to describe it in words, but basically something that's exaggerated into a tongue-in-cheek joke like MGR was.
Sound it's time for you to read Fire punch

Dungeon Seeker 8-10

Or maybe this manga. This manga is so edge it's hilarious.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 28

I think this princess should win the best villain award. Like, she manipulate people like its nothing.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I actually thought Fire Punch sounded exactly like what I was thinking of from the descriptions you guys give of it, but I didn't say because I haven't actually read it yet

Give it a go when you got nothing else to read. Just turn your brain off and read it with a mindset that you are reading dark comedy.

In other news, Ramen daisuki koizumi-san getting an anime adaptation. FUCK YES! After getting :Kurita'd 2 years back, i though it won't be getting anime adaptation. Glad i was wrong about this one.

Ascheroth

Dr. Stone 4
Well that's one ...interesting thing to name your manga after, lol.

U19 4
Setting up the end goal. I liked this a lot less then the first 3, mainly because nothing happened besides talking and I'm not a huge fan of tying 'saving the girl' to the absolute endgoal. I would've much prefered this as a short-time goal that leads into other stuff, eh.

Hungry Marie 5

The Kanye joke got me good. They suck at hiding, lol. Wonder what Furuichi in Kanzakis body will say to this.

Robot x Laserbeam 2
Liked this more then the first chapter. Still don't particularly care about it.

We Never Learn 8
I've never heard of this 'cross-out reading method'.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 55
Still great. Just read it, y'all.

Soma 208
Lol. Good to see this being at the top of its game again.

MHA 131
The hype is real.

Promised Neverland 32
Madness.

Zweizer

Banned
Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon ch41

Going to bed is also the perfect time for some of the most enjoyable activities known to mankind~

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch13

He did good.

GL of the Dead (SFW short)

Survival horror yuri from Mochi Au Lait and WHY IS THIS ONLY 4 PAGES ARRRGGHHH

e: The Miniature Garden of Twindle 5
Huh, the detective duo found a lead faster than I was expecting. Though how co-operative Elgard's going to be is another matter entirely. Also I need confirmation about whether she's doki doki with that other witch she's sleeping with. Now, if not sooner.

Weekly Shonen Jump #18

Boruto (Cover)
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san (Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
Boruto (CP)
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
My Hero Academia (CP)
Robot x Laserbeam
4. Black Clover
5. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
7. Haikyu!!
8. We Never Learn (2nd Ranking)
Hungry Marie
9. Spring Weapon No. 1
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
Dr. Stone
10. Gintama
11. Samon the Summoner
12. U19 (1st Ranking)
13. Hinomaru Zumou
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Weekly Shonen Jump #19
Cover, Lead CP: Black Clover
CP: We Never Learn
One Shot: Kuromori Crime (by Hidetoshi Miyada and Yusuke Hitoshi)

U19's first ranking is a bad sign, while WNL's ranking isn't great the fact that it's getting CP next week says enough about how Jump feels about how the manga is doing. (I'm only going to mention in () brackets for the first 3 weeks of the manga's ranking)

Top Bottom