• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Palmer_v1

Did they fix the Batman game so that Batman wasn't apparently OP? All I heard that it was unfun to play as anything other than Batman cause of how powerful he was, but believe the game has had several revisions since then.

The only recently balance complaints I've seen were about one of the Jokers, who just had his rep cost increased by 15 points, and the Will Smith Deadshot, who is hands down the best shooter in the game. In the latter's case, it's not that he's overpowered on the table specifically. It's just not worth considering other free agent shooters because he's so good.

For our local meta, which is only like 2 months old at this point, swarm lists seem really strong, i.e. taking 12 mostly crappy models. Batman can take one out a turn, and be nigh untouchable, but that's only 10 VP over the course of the game, while I'm probably scoring 3 objectives for 1-3 points each, a turn. But we're already learning to tech against it. I can poison multiple henchmen a turn with Ivy, who will die after 3-4 rounds of poison, and I can also take control of 2 henchmen a turn. Mr Freeze(with Captain Cold and Heatwave) has an abundace of spray templates to use, plus ice templates which impair movement, so I can force them into choke points and get to the objectives quicker.

3 doggos complete. Each one of these has gone from "this is not looking good" to "huh, that turned out pretty good".

IMG_8867.jpg

Gameplay-wise, these dogs can be found like standard equipment and then the player can give them additional orders on their turn. They can explore, search, and attack. They're really handy! The biggest bonus you could ever ask for is how happy a person is when the get their very own dog. It's so awesome. Of course, evey upside has a down. When people lose their dog, they get pretty bummed out, lol! To that end, most people tend to be really guarded with their dogs and rarely take chances or use them to their full potential. I thought they were a great addition to Zombicide.

3 dogs complete, 3 more to go!

I've had to look up dog photos to help paint these. Painting modern stuff has been a real change of pace for me. I do look forward to eventually getting back to 40k someday.

those puppers look good

on the leftmost one, how did you get the dark brown detail shading? Do you use the GW inks/shades?

Nope, all layers, 1 color dark to lighter, 3 layers. Its how I paint everything really. I very rarely use washes or inks.

I would post my pallet but I already washed it for the night.

That particular dog took a wrong turn at the start. I was really unhappy with him, but now he's my favorite. I have another sculpt just like him that I am already nervous about painting because I don't want his good looks to be a fluke, lol. The next one will have extremely dark brown splotchy spots.

Nope, all layers, 1 color dark to lighter, 3 layers. Its how I paint everything really. I very rarely use washes or inks.

I would post my pallet but I already washed it for the night.

That particular dog took a wrong turn at the start. I was really unhappy with him, but now he's my favorite. I have another sculpt just like him that I am already nervous about painting because I don't want his good looks to be a fluke, lol. The next one will have extremely dark brown splotchy spots.

Hm.

So doing darker to lighter

So you start off with the base brown color, then work lighter for the next two layers?

Like..

Layer 1/Brown>Layer 2/Lighter Brown>Layer 3/Lightest Brown?

I'm a paint nub and rely on shades and inks to make something look detailed >_>;

I'll do: dark brown splotch of paint on the left and my light brown splotch on the right. I'll base with the dark brown then mix it with the light brown until I like the look of it, then highlight the dark brown with that. The last highlight is either the light brown alone or my mixture with more light brown in it depending on the color/what I am painting. A light drybrush of my final highlight usually ties it all together if it's needed.

This is how I do flesh too, but with different colors obviously. Same with space marine armor too!

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind

Right now I'm trying to figure out a new color scheme for my chaos warriors myself, and the red I'm using is too weak for the black base so I'm going to have to layer that @_@

And hopefully your tip means I don't have to rely on the shades as much

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind

Right now I'm trying to figure out a new color scheme for my chaos warriors myself, and the red I'm using is too weak for the black base so I'm going to have to layer that @_@

And hopefully your tip means I don't have to rely on the shades as much

My red is 3 crappy craft paints layered one over the other, no mixing at all. I can pump Blood Angels out pretty fast. This is the only example pic I have. It's incomplete and not based, but you get the idea. This is directly over a black undercoat (my preference in undercoating FYI). No inks or shades, just drybrushing and highlighting with 3 reds.

6C36F17E-F342-446D-B7B1-0F75AD66EE7C.jpg

Thanks!

That's right, Drybrushing is a technique I've forgotten <_> I was more into painting the models circa 10 years ago and then I stopped and recently picked it up again, so I'm still in the process of learning again haha. Thanks for your help~

manfestival

lhpdHQ8m.jpg

mpfiB2vm.jpg

couple of quick picks of a work in progress. Have not painted in a loooong time. Going for more of a weird vibe with this stuff. little bit of Blanchitsu if I can pull it off. mostly the armor is done, everything else is just a coat of something. also cloak is not painted at all.

legit color scheme right there. if I played those unfair monsters then thats how I would do them up

Palmer_v1

OK this sounds awesome.
Is there a decent starter set other than the Suicide Squad one?

Suicide Squad is definitely good price for what you get. The actual Suicide Squad team can be weird to learn with though, cause they have a lot of special rules. Everyone in Suicide Squad also works for other gangs, usually as free agents, so they're great fillers for other stuff.

The Joker half of the box is a little more problematic, cause they all have a Cosplayer trait that prevents Joker's other than Jared Leto from taking more than one at a time. That's all assuming you're even interested in Joker's crew.

It also comes with some useful cardboard buildings and terrain that is sufficient for demo games.

Most Crew leaders do have their own starter, like Poison Ivy and 3 plants, Penguin and 3 thugs, Scarecrow and 3 militia, Gordon and 3 SWAT, etc. Most(all?) come out to 150 rep, though the funding can vary wildly.

Mikeside

Suicide Squad is definitely good price for what you get. The actual Suicide Squad team can be weird to learn with though, cause they have a lot of special rules. Everyone in Suicide Squad also works for other gangs, usually as free agents, so they're great fillers for other stuff.

The Joker half of the box is a little more problematic, cause they all have a Cosplayer trait that prevents Joker's other than Jared Leto from taking more than one at a time. That's all assuming you're even interested in Joker's crew.

It also comes with some useful cardboard buildings and terrain that is sufficient for demo games.

Most Crew leaders do have their own starter, like Poison Ivy and 3 plants, Penguin and 3 thugs, Scarecrow and 3 militia, Gordon and 3 SWAT, etc. Most(all?) come out to 150 rep, though the funding can vary wildly.

Not a big fan of the suicide squad box.
If we're just playing casually between friends, would a 150 point starter be sufficient for a few games while we learn how to play etc?

Sorry to keep all the questions coming! I can't seem to find a good source of info, so you're my guru for now

Palmer_v1

Not a big fan of the suicide squad box.
If we're just playing casually between friends, would a 150 point starter be sufficient for a few games while we learn how to play etc?

Sorry to keep all the questions coming! I can't seem to find a good source of info, so you're my guru for now

Np. There's very little community support for it in English. I mostly use a facebook group for it. Search for Arkham City limits - The Official knight Models Group.

The 150 starters are fine for learning, but they're not all super well balanced against each other. Ivy's is terrible, for example, and Riddler kinda plays an entirely different game(he ignores normal objectives and has unique way to win). If you really want to draw in other players, a small Batman crew vs a small Joker crew is pretty iconic, but I'm not sure there's a specific Batman starter. I've seen Harley Quinn and Two Face suggested for starters as well.

Even for learning games, you'll want a bit of terrain, and 1-2 buildings because they're so central to how it plays. Stick to only 60x60cm board at first as well, and I'd suggest just Riddler markers and Safes for objectives initially, since they're stationary and deploy centrally.

For rule books, I believe Suicide Squad book supercedes batman book in all ways, while the flash book doesn't have the core rules, but does include a handful of new rules. There is also an upcoming Arkham Campaign book but we don't know much about that yet.

Jinaar

(Hope this doesn't get to the bottom of the page but what can ya do)

I have been meaning to upload my work and thoughts on miniatures for ages. Today is as good as any day to do so.

I must be at least 3+ years into this hobby with not much to show for it. Painting takes me ages, as I take so much time and effort to really focus on the models. Unfortunately, painting is also sidelined due to video gaming. My name is Jinaar and I am addicted to vidya games. This year has been a lot better though and working on Blue Smurf Primarch at the moment and really putting in huge amount of time into him.

For the most part, I have invested in GW paints. No real complaints about them. Some I have moved into droppers, some I have not yet. Either way, I've learned how to get what I need out of the pots or droppers when required. Brushes range from really expensive to average cost. In the end, treat your brushes well and you can do pretty much anything with any brush. I hang most of my brushes upside down on my work shelf to dry and for easy access. Dremel is there to help smooth items out but just started to use that.

I have a wet palette that I use. Benefits of using a wet palette are describable. At any time you can go from basing a model to creating glazes to mixing other colors, while getting the paint either a little to a lot wet, which is up to you.

Basic thoughts/techniques that I have really took the time to invest in are:

- Multiple coats: I cannot stress this enough. I have come to my own conclusion that 2-4 base coats of the same color have help me out so much with the model going forward.

- Loaded brush: get your main color into your brush and then get a nice pin prick of white on the end of the brush. Then start to blend on the portion of your miniature you wish to do. Insta-Gradient. It's really tough in the beginning. I used it on my Horus model.

- Wet Blending: put a nice wet coat of dark color on the miniature, immediately put on your brush a lighter color and start blending the two together. Again, I felt scared at first doing it but boy, is it fun to do and you get some really good results

- Gradient Glazing: This I like the most so far for me. I think this one takes the most time but it has the best results. Take your base color and put it down. Then take the lightest color and put it where it should be most colorful/bright. Mix those two colors 1:1 and then start blending them together, watering them down either a lot or not, depending how much time you want to take to layer it on. I really like this way though.

- Non Metal Metal painting: tough as nails for me. Still putting in practice.

Anyways, I could type my garbage out all day, but most of you all know all this already.

For anyone that is starting though. Get/Build a wet palette immediately and make sure your paints are not thick when you put them to the mini. Thick paint makes the miniatures ugly.

First off, my work area:

My very first miniature painted. The HORROR!! Derp Angel. (Thick paint is the worst)

Orks need more love.

Random Red Marine

Random Green Marine

Now the Primarchs that I have done so far.

Horus!

Vulkan!

Morty!

Imperial Lady

Fou-Lu

I've promised myself I will buy some minis after finals are over to celebrate and paint. I am really uncertain what I want to buy, I haven't been playing any mini games since I moved and I don't see that changing much in the near future, so it's more about painting and modelling then playing. I also want something plastic. I've been considering picking up a Start Collecting box or a starter set for some game to get the best bang for my buck while also having some variety.

I've promised myself I will buy some minis after finals are over to celebrate and paint. I am really uncertain what I want to buy, I haven't been playing any mini games since I moved and I don't see that changing much in the near future, so it's more about painting and modelling then playing. I also want something plastic. I've been considering picking up a Start Collecting box or a starter set for some game to get the best bang for my buck while also having some variety.

The starter collections are pretty good deals for what you get. Some varied troop set, along with a bigger unit.(Blood Angels get a tank, Necrons get a spider...etc.)

There's also the starter play sets that go around...$120, come with and tend to come with...60ish models(Depending on what you get) with two different sides(IE the current 40k one, has Chaos and Dark Angels, has a Helbrute, 3 bikes, and about..4ish individual units? Along with a bunch of troop/elite units for both sides.). They also tend to be snap on and don't necessarily require super glue.

If you want to go fantasy, I don't have much experience with that, but I do know they have an Age of Sigmar starter play set~

For individual miniatures, the best value is the Wizkids recently released line of pre-primed plastic D&D and Pathfinder figures. They are pretty good detail and only $4 a pack (usually 2-3 minis).

For 40K, the best value/variety pack is probably The Burning of Prospero at $150 with about $330 worth of miniatures. Great variety with Space Wolves, Custodian Guard, Sisters, Thousand Sons, and Terminators. It's also a decent board game.

For AoS, the best value pack is definitely the Starter Set. $125 for like $450 worth of models. And it's still the only way to get Lord Relictor, Mighty Lord of Khorne, Bloodsecrator and Bloodstoker.

The most variety, however, is probably either of the Warhammer Quest sets. Another
$150 board game set with $300+ worth of minis. Bunch of different heroes across multiple factions and different chaos monsters for enemies.

And yeah, any of the $85 starter boxes for both 40K or AoS are pretty good deals. Most of them usually have $120-$130 worth of stuff in them.

How about some Genestealer cultists from Deatwatch: Overkill box? You might find them on Ebay still perhaps? Could make a nice group for Shadow wars too, just in case.

Fou-Lu

Lots of good recommendations! Right now I am leaning toward the Tau start collecting box as they are an army i have always loved but never owned any of, but if those rumoured Shadow Elves for AoS pan out soon i might wait for them.

I do really love the new Stormcast, the Vanguard and the chocobo riders, but not a big fan of the rest of the army.

manfestival

Lots of good recommendations! Right now I am leaning toward the Tau start collecting box as they are an army i have always loved but never owned any of, but if those rumoured Shadow Elves for AoS pan out soon i might wait for them.

I do really love the new Stormcast, the Vanguard and the chocobo riders, but not a big fan of the rest of the army.
Stay away from my tau gue'ron'sha lover!

Leunam

Damn, I'm really getting suckered in by the hype for Necromunda 4.0 now. The main core set apparently only comes with rules for Marines and Orks, but the newest White Dwarf has rules for Genestealer Cults and Skitarii. Found some scans online and I think I know how I'm going to kit the Skitarii out but the real fun of converting and making each dude unique is what I can't wait for. I might just make that my weekend project.

Sorry Stormcast, but your next coat of paint might have to wait.

Damn, I'm really getting suckered in by the hype for Necromunda 4.0 now. The main core set apparently only comes with rules for Marines and Orks, but the newest White Dwarf has rules for Genestealer Cults and Skitarii. Found some scans online and I think I know how I'm going to kit the Skitarii out but the real fun of converting and making each dude unique is what I can't wait for. I might just make that my weekend project.

Sorry Stormcast, but your next coat of paint might have to wait.

Our launch kit for Shadow War has rules for pretty much every main faction. The core rulebook has Space Marines, Astra Militarum, and Orks. April White Dwarf has Skitarri and Genestealers.

Launch kit rules are the same rules as seen in White Dwarf for Skitarii Rangers and Genestealers. But there's also sheets for Dark Eldar, Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Harlequins, Grey Knights, Tau, Tyranids and Necrons.

Our launch kit for Shadow War has rules for pretty much every main faction. The core rulebook has Space Marines, Astra Militarum, and Orks. April White Dwarf has Skitarri and Genestealers.

Launch kit rules are the same rules as seen in White Dwarf for Skitarii Rangers and Genestealers. But there's also sheets for Dark Eldar, Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Harlequins, Grey Knights, Tau, Tyranids and Necrons.

Will they publish these rules anywhere else or release them online for free by chance? Kinda will suck if we got to wait months for all the factions to get their rule sheets through slow trickle in WD

Will they publish these rules anywhere else or release them online for free by chance? Kinda will suck if we got to wait months for all the factions to get their rule sheets through slow trickle in WD

I have no idea. I hope so. It'd be really dumb for them to hold back rule sheets that they're already giving out with pre-release kits to game shops.

Woorloog

Banned
X-wing is really fun... but fucking hell the rules are written badly. Vagueness is too common. Kinda annoying to stop playing for a moment to google what the fuck does something actually mean.
It is easy to remember how things are afterwards but still...

Gonna need more ships.

Also, should've started painting BT minis while weather was good... looks like it is gonna rain during weekend :/ Missed opportunity.

Painting is nicely calming. Requires such focus, at least for now.

Leunam

So unfortunately neither me nor Staffy have gotten any submissions for this month's challenge. But that's totally OK because I've got another one in mind.

Now I'm taking submissions for a much easier contest, more of a showcase really. All I need is a picture of the oldest - better yet, first - mini you've painted, side by side with either the most recent mini you've painted or the most closely related. For instance, I still have the first Space Marine I've ever painted and I'll be posting that up with the most recent Marine I completed with a similar color scheme.

Picture would be great, along with a blurb about your evolution as a mini painter since you first started, what your biggest hurdle was, which technique helped you out the most, and what you still struggle with or what the next technique you want to work on is. Thanks in advance for the submissions.

I won't be participating unless by some cosmic coincidence your challenge lines up with what I am currently doing :p I just don't have the time to commit to a new project every month. That's all I would end up doing with my painting time!

X-wing is really fun... but fucking hell the rules are written badly. Vagueness is too common. Kinda annoying to stop playing for a moment to google what the fuck does something actually mean.
It is easy to remember how things are afterwards but still...

Hm like what? One of X-Wing's biggest selling points is how smooth and casual friendly the rules are. Never really had problems at all with the rules. Only rule hiccups tend to come from the occasional vague upgrade card or conflicting special abilities.

So unfortunately neither me nor Staffy have gotten any submissions for this month's challenge. But that's totally OK because I've got another one in mind.

Now I'm taking submissions for a much easier contest, more of a showcase really. All I need is a picture of the oldest - better yet, first - mini you've painted, side by side with either the most recent mini you've painted or the most closely related. For instance, I still have the first Space Marine I've ever painted and I'll be posting that up with the most recent Marine I completed with a similar color scheme.

Picture would be great, along with a blurb about your evolution as a mini painter since you first started, what your biggest hurdle was, which technique helped you out the most, and what you still struggle with or what the next technique you want to work on is. Thanks in advance for the submissions.

I can do this~

Chaos Dreadnought

Painted circa 11 years ago. Space Marine Dreadnought converted to Chaos. Not my first mini, but one of the first bigger units I did. probably the first technique I really 'learned' is dry brushing, not very apparent in this one. But it has a special place in my heart, even if Dreadnoughts aren't really viable for Chaos anymore. My biggest hurdles then were...learning how to paint. I would go to the GW shops and always ask for tips on how to paint and what not. I feel I got the very basics just fine.

Helbrute

The first mini I've painted in 10 years. Deviated from what is shown in the Dark Vengeance box, but I like the result. This one was more of getting used to my roots of painting, since I had taken such a loooooong break. I like how he came out. Relied on the GW shades heavily though, but I do want to learn how to mix shades myself since I've seen some sick examples on here. Right now I feel my biggest hurdle is finding a color scheme-I do have Chaos minis but I want to do something different with them then the black/gold or red/gold(I have a khornish army? that I've had for a while). so it's alot of trial and error with color schemes and bases and foundations...

Good work after a pretty long break :)

To be honest, mixing colours is something you probably don't need to do a whole lot of. I pretty much never mix anything these days (although I've been buying a few citadel paints here and there every other week for about 6 years since I got back into the hobby so I've got enough colours that I dont need to!)

So I kind of relasped on my miniature habbit recently. It all started with one of those damn Tau start collecting kits....

With just a few bits to go with it. Because that's sensible right?

And then some paints, because my older GW ones had largely dried out, so I decided to mostly expand my infinitely lived Vallejo collection. Still sensible guys. Really sensible.

But then I saw this for £20 on eBay, and that's a decent deal, even if the booklet was in German? I mean, apart from a couple of broken parts, it's as good as new!

But then my old flame reignited. LOTR miniatures. The game might be all but dead (despite GW's apparent attempts at a minor revival and rereleasing glorious metals again), but it's time for me to buy back into my early years!

Those Lothlorien elves in particular being some of my favourite sculpts of all time. Anyway, those purchases pretty much finish off a Moria/Angmar force which I started buying for years back and never got round to sorting. There's still a few more things in the post too.

What's interesting is how active the Ebay market is for LOTR models. Though a lot of the inflated prices seem to be caused by GW not allowing third parties to stock LOTR product, lots of discontinued items which GW never got around to reprinting (is this wargming or MTG here, I feel like I'm discussing Modern rather than little soldiers), and finecast. But with a bit of shopping around, there's some really good prices to be had. The last few items (Siege Ballista etc) were all stripped by the seller, and in excellent condition for less than retail back in the day.

Really excited to get painting once more. Since I have the paints, I'll probably start with the Tau, maybe a Pathfinder squad, as the angular lines and heroic scale should help me get back to grips with painting.

On a final note. Fuck Finecast. I briefly worked with Forgeworld resin years ago. That was a bit fiddly to clean up. Those Goblins I purchased were something else: covered in mould injection lines, additional resin, and they're brittle as anything. Plus the spears are warped to all hell. I'm never buying any 'finecast' products ever again.

The boxed game appears to be sold out everywhere online in the UK and GW is saying on Facebook that they're not releasing more physical copies - argh! They've promised a digital version of the rulebook, but I'd rather have physical :( I'll have to try a brick and mortar but I only have 2 retailers within my area and I doubt they'll have much stock.

The boxed game appears to be sold out everywhere online in the UK and GW is saying on Facebook that they're not releasing more physical copies - argh! They've promised a digital version of the rulebook, but I'd rather have physical :( I'll have to try a brick and mortar but I only have 2 retailers within my area and I doubt they'll have much stock.

Didn't the game only go up yesterday for pre order? Jesus!

Didn't the game only go up yesterday for pre order? Jesus!

Just went up for pre-order today actually, lol. Sold out everywhere online in the UK in a few hours, and I believe GW's US store was sold out in less than an hour (and they limit it to 1 per customer).

I managed to get my name down for one with a FLGS though :D

The hell is wrong with them

Leunam

Got a good deal at my local shop. Anything I pre-order from them is 20% off so that's a good chunk off of Shadow War. Now that the other army lists are on the GW website I think I'll be trying to put together a Chaos Warband in addition to my Skitarii. Good chance to finally paint some cool Night Lords, I've always wanted to try painting their color scheme.

Brakke

Banned
Hey any chance y'all can help me out with a painting problem? I'm working on this guy (Circle Orboros Woldwrath). Bigass stone dude animated by magic. Trick is I use purple instead of green for magic runes throughout my army. This is a problem because also:

I don't like the grey stone and went with a kind of brown formica. So I sank some of my standard purple into a rune panel as a test and my purple is way too dark to show against the brown, especially since it's inset and therefore shadowed from most angles.

Not sure what to do here. If I *was* painting green, I'd probably just make a green mix heavier on yellow to brighten it against a blue-ish grey. Trouble is, my stone color has both blue and red tones in it so I don't know if leaning more toward one or the other will help me.

I considered sinking some white into the runes first, then following with a thin-ish purple wash? But I'm worried I'll end up slopping white out of the runes and that'll be messy. Also, this is a big model with tons of runes so I'd like this to not be toooo time-intensive, but I suppose if I get a good solution that's onerous to execute, I'll just only do it asymmetrically on a few prominent panels, as though only some of them are "active" at any given time. Worst case is just strip or paint over the brown, I'm definitely married to purple.

Thoughts?

Mikeside

Well Shadow War looks like something that will bring me back in and tide me over until 8th edition

Can't wait for them to put the rules online

Hey any chance y'all can help me out with a painting problem? I'm working on this guy (Circle Orboros Woldwrath). Bigass stone dude animated by magic. Trick is I use purple instead of green for magic runes throughout my army. This is a problem because also:

I don't like the grey stone and went with a kind of brown formica. So I sank some of my standard purple into a rune panel as a test and my purple is way too dark to show against the brown, especially since it's inset and therefore shadowed from most angles.

Not sure what to do here. If I *was* painting green, I'd probably just make a green mix heavier on yellow to brighten it against a blue-ish grey. Trouble is, my stone color has both blue and red tones in it so I don't know if leaning more toward one or the other will help me.

I considered sinking some white into the runes first, then following with a thin-ish purple wash? But I'm worried I'll end up slopping white out of the runes and that'll be messy. Also, this is a big model with tons of runes so I'd like this to not be toooo time-intensive, but I suppose if I get a good solution that's onerous to execute, I'll just only do it asymmetrically on a few prominent panels, as though only some of them are "active" at any given time. Worst case is just strip or paint over the brown, I'm definitely married to purple.

Thoughts?

I can see your problem, and even if the purple would show, I'm not sure how well it would work with brown.

Maybe keep the purple, but pick a different colour from brown (and grey)? Maybe marble? Or some other mineral?

Top Bottom