• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 18-24 | Not holding breath for PSASBR2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SFxTK had the sf4 unblockables in the first version of the game, they fixed it by making it so you can block forward or backwards during the first few frames of a cross over.

So basicly it went to

frame 1 block backwards
frame 2 block forwards or backwards
frame 3 the cross over actually happens now block the other way.

gutabo

There were chains, but not magic series in A1.
I'm sorry, I'm old and I still go for James Chen's old magic series definition from his early(xmen cota, msh) faqs. By "stronger" magic series I meant that you could chain light p/k into medium p/k into hard p/k(in most cases mixing standing and crouching moves) so I think we're talking about the same thing, lol.

ZTS

Banned
SFxTK had the sf4 unblockables in the first version of the game, they fixed it by making it so you can block forward or backwards during the first few frames of a cross over.

So basicly it went to

frame 1 block backwards

What you are saying doesn't make any sense btw. Either that or you did a terrible job explaining it. Are you trying to say? No game makes it so you can't block a direction when you get up.

So basicly it went to

frame 1 block backwards

I see. Yep makes perfect sense, thanks for explaining in a way that is really easy to understand.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What you are saying doesn't make any sense btw. Either that or you did a terrible job explaining it. Are you trying to say? No game makes it so you can't block a direction when you get up.

No I explained it well enough. Let me put it more simple.

The "hard to blockables" changed to "Impossible to not blockables"

Worst robotic dinosaur professor ever.

alstein

I'm sorry, I'm old and I still go for James Chen's old magic series definition from his early(xmen cota, msh) faqs. By "stronger" magic series I meant that you could chain light p/k into medium p/k into hard p/k(in most cases mixing standing and crouching moves) so I think we're talking about the same thing, lol.

some chars could do that, not all. Magic series to me is Darkstalkers chains.

MVC3 is like anime chains.

Mind elaborating on that? They had eybrows even in the original SF2 =P

I'm talking

sf2ce-s2.jpg

To

SSF2T--Super%20Street%20Fighter%20II%20Turbo%20World%20940223_Sep10%2018_04_24.png

see what I'm talking about?

Basically - I think Alpha ended up being what Street Fighter characters were INTENDED to look like all along, it's just they couldn't realize those designs in-game until Alpha. Every chance they got to make the game look more manga/anime, they took it.

ZTS

Banned
No I explained it well enough. Let me put it more simple.

The "hard to blockables" changed to "Impossible to not blockables"

Worst robotic dinosaur professor ever.

No offense that's highly unlikely. Capcom implemented 1 frame autoguard but just for 1 frame? BTW where did you hear this? Do you have an official Capcom source or are you just saying something you thought you once heard from one guys once. Hey if you're right then by all means I'll concerned that that's how they did it I just wanna know that what you say is factual and not something you just made up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No offense that's highly unlikely. Capcom implemented 1 frame autoguard but just for 1 frame? BTW where did you hear this? Do you have an official Capcom source or are you just saying something you thought you once heard from one guys once. Hey if you're right then by all means I'll concerned that that's how they did it I just wanna know that what you say is factual and not something you just made up.

I totally made it up right now and have no experience with it in game holding forward and blocking jump ins at all. nope

And I doubt it's just one frame the window is probably bigger, I was just listing it like that for the example.

Alpha never had magic series shit.

alpha 1 did, and you could cancel out of chains. yay for ken being plus on sweep XX lk. roll

edit - wups just back read and saw replying. sorry, but magic series and chains are too close to bother being differentiated. it's the same reason any auto reversal out of block stun in every game ever is going to be called alpha counter, or special cancels will always be roman cancels

PowderedToast

i would like to see a new alpha. if capcom want to retain the 'event' status of a new SF as much as possible they'd do better waiting until 2/3 years into the next generation. that would make IV potentially 7 years old, similar to how II was 6 years old. they'd also have a better grasp on the hardware for what would be their 'prestige' game.

III was ancient by the time we got the followup but that was for obv different reasons

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Anyone going to be in Philadelphia for Winter Brawl? Hope to see you guys there. I'm going to bring lots of love.

Kadey, any chance you can make it out? I need your blessing.

Malice215

Anyone going to be in Philadelphia for Winter Brawl? Hope to see you guys there. I'm going to bring lots of love.

Kadey, any chance you can make it out? I need your blessing.

I'm 5 minutes away from the venue so I will definitely be there.

This is also going to be an an amazing week with the announcements taking place this week, Winter Brawl on the weekend, and I only have to go to work for 3 days this week. It's going to be madness.

Horseress

I'm 5 minutes away from the venue so I will definitely be there.

This is also going to be an an amazing week with the announcements taking place this week, Winter Brawl on the weekend, and I only have to go to work for 3 days this week. It's going to be madness.

MAAANG this week is going to be the craziest! I don't think our bodies are ready
And I'll just leave this here
iIxzk8NrwpWc5.gif

PowderedToast

i'm running with SFXT because the engine feels a lot more lenient than SFIV

the increased accuracy in movement is definitely noticeable, the button layout also makes way more sense than how they're typically assigned on a pad. i'm just trying to figure out the basic things, like how i even hold the thing

after the initial 30 minutes i was getting dull aches in my left hand, so obviously i wasn't holding it properly

btw this is my stick, it's a baby

HORI-MINI-FIGHTSTICK-PS3-3.jpg

its way smaller but made by hori so i figured it'd be an ok entry level

Tizoc

Alrighty then~
YEAH, DOOMY, SHAKE DAT ASS!

If you missed it, here are nearly 10 hours of various Capcom fighting game footage, including Japanese MvC2, CvSNK2, Alpha/Zero 3, SFEX2+ and FUC-
Clicky~

3 HOURS OF BLAZBLUE CP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfYQVIN2wos

90 MINS OF MELTY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9aAaRHdvU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grkJr9sF67A

90 MINS OF GUILTY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMTzSDo1MuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnqtUyUyaHs

Some 3S:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woX6H516Nn8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4qYjM_G4YE

I'm talking

sf2ce-s2.jpg

To

SSF2T--Super%20Street%20Fighter%20II%20Turbo%20World%20940223_Sep10%2018_04_24.png

see what I'm talking about?

Basically - I think Alpha ended up being what Street Fighter characters were INTENDED to look like all along, it's just they couldn't realize those designs in-game until Alpha. Every chance they got to make the game look more manga/anime, they took it.

Ah now I get it heh, I just don't associate eyebrows with 'anime look' often lol.

MAAANG this week is going to be the craziest! I don't think our bodies are ready
iIxzk8NrwpWc5.gif

Friggin' brilliant.
I look forward to the disappointments after that event ends lol.

i'm running with SFXT because the engine feels a lot more lenient than SFIV

the increased accuracy in movement is definitely noticeable, the button layout also makes way more sense than how they're typically assigned on a pad. i'm just trying to figure out the basic things, like how i even hold the thing

after the initial 30 minutes i was getting dull aches in my left hand, so obviously i wasn't holding it properly

btw this is my stick, it's a baby

HORI-MINI-FIGHTSTICK-PS3-3.jpg

its way smaller but made by hori so i figured it'd be an ok entry level

Does it have Sanwa buttons because in that pic (which doesn't even look like a real pic, rather a render) it looks like the buttons are those terrible extra-plasticy HAPPs. The type of buttons/stick you have can make a huge difference.

Nah, it's just not as difficult on a pad as most other fighters and it creates an illusion. Although doing KBD seems unintuitive as all hell on a stick, you can adjust to it.

There's a multitude of constant cancels that are executed with tapping motions, each requiring a return to neutral position, as I'm sure everyone is familiar with.

In my opinion, that is much easier and quicker to accomplish with a D pad than it is with a stick. I even shorten the throw on all my sticks by increasing the shaft diameter, and I still prefer pad.

But to each his own. Crazy wave dashing k stick players included.

PowderedToast

Does it have Sanwa buttons because in that pic (which doesn't even look like a real pic, rather a render) it looks like the buttons are those terrible extra-plasticy HAPPs. The type of buttons/stick you have can make a huge difference.

theyre definitely plasticky buttons, have i fucked up ?

i paid £30 for it, didn't really want to go any higher at the moment

There's a multitude of constant cancels that are executed with tapping motions, each requiring a return to neutral position, as I'm sure everyone is familiar with.

In my opinion, that is much easier and quicker to accomplish with a D pad than it is with a stick. I even shorten the throw on all my sticks by increasing the shaft diameter, and I still prefer pad.

But to each his own. Crazy wave dashing k stick players included.

I don't play Tekken at a high level, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I think everyone uses Dualshocks because thats what they've been using for the longest time. If everyone had a stick for PS1, they probably would have learned all this hard shit on stick the first time around.

theyre definitely plasticky buttons, have i fucked up ?

i paid £30 for it, didn't really want to go any higher at the moment

No, my first stick was pretty junky too. Get used to playing with a stick period, then when you upgrade you can truly appreciate quality parts.

kirblar

I don't play Tekken at a high level, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I think everyone uses Dualshocks because thats what they've been using for the longest time. If everyone had a stick for PS1, they probably would have learned all this hard shit on stick the first time around.
I grew up on Genesis and I really struggle if that's not the type of control pattern I have. Luckily they still make 6-button style pads.

Malice215

iIxzk8NrwpWc5.gif

In the back of my mind, I'm hoping that Sony doesn't screw this up somehow. I still can't wait for Wednesday though.

Also this needs a runback. Glad that I was able to meet her last year.

harlem-shake---assistjzq8c.gif

I grew up on Genesis and I really struggle if that's not the type of control pattern I have. Luckily they still make 6-button style pads.

Anyone can adjust to anything. I grew up with NES but I can handle controllers with more than 2 buttons. When I was really little in the SF2 days, I would get so salty about having to use sticks at the arcade because I was positive the SNES controller was better. It wasn't until '03 that I got a stick for my PS2 and started to make the switch. Took me a few months to reach 100% comfort with it, but obviously it was worth it.

Nothing wrong with 6 button pads tho, respect to pad warriors everywhere.

I miss all the best postings by FGC-GAF when I'm in class. Feels bad man. :(

I've been loving coming back after being gone and seeing some glorious arguing between certain people now.

Once you play on a arcade stick it's hard to go back to a controller.

Yeah, I don't doubt that if you put in the time you can execute stuff pretty much just as well on a pad. But a stick just feels so good to play with for some genres. After I built a stick I found that I was getting into genres like fighters and SHMUPs that I never used to play. Now that's pretty much all that I play anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom