• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

Ichabod

Banned
I've sunk over 160 hours in this game since picking it up in late December. It's incredibly addicting and build options are plentiful. I'm about halfway through my run on the hardest difficulty and once I finish I'm going to reroll for a third time.

My list of complaints are few:
-Not being able to reallocate mastery points is annoying
-There are only a couple of endgame dungeons. The game could benefit from aping something like Diablo 3s rifts.
-Its slightly annoying for ranged classes when the game let's you unload on walls instead of pathfinding your character to get an angle on a mob.

Minor quibbles in an overall fantastic experience, though. If you like dablio style games, you could do far worse.

How does this compare to Diablo iii? I played that one up to act 2 and got kind of bored.

It's closer to Diablo 2 than 3. Diablo 3 still has (imo) the best feeling moment-to-moment combat in the genre, but Grim Dawn is great and definitely allows you more freedom in your builds imo. If you've played Titan's Quest it's a lot like that.

Volodja

Looking at the images, the UI has a lot of places that are pretty damn similar to Titan Quest (that inventory and stats screen is actually pretty much the same).

I didn't enjoy Titan Quest at all, probably my least favourite ARPG that I invested any decent amount of time in and that's the reason I haven't bought this game already.

Is this game less stiff then TQ was (there were quite a few clunky spots when trying to move and attack smoothly) and are skills more prominent and interesting?
I really didn't like TQ's approach of not having any skills at the start and even when I got them, I found them to be mostly visually and gameplay wise pretty underwhelming.

Looking at the images, the UI has a lot of places that are pretty damn similar to Titan Quest (that inventory and stats screen is actually pretty much the same).

I didn't enjoy Titan Quest at all, probably my least favourite ARPG that I invested any decent amount of time in and that's the reason I haven't bought this game already.

Is this game less stiff then TQ was (there were quite a few clunky spots when trying to move and attack smoothly) and are skills more prominent and interesting?
I really didn't like TQ's approach of not having any skills at the start and even when I got them, I found them to be mostly visually and gameplay wise pretty underwhelming.

Sorry, it's gonna be hard for me to answer that since I didn't feel that way with Titan's Quest, so I can't really say if it's different or not. You'd probably get a good idea of the feel and combat in the first hour or so and could Steam refund if it's not what you're looking for.

bounchfx

How does this compare to Diablo iii? I played that one up to act 2 and got kind of bored.

I did too, but I cant figure out why. I LOVED the fuck out of diablo 2, played it tons, but D3 i just got bored after a little, even though it has some of the best art direction I've ever seen. I'd love to have played more but every time I do i just want to do something else. I wonder if it was a time/place thing. Either way, I loved Titan Quest and this looks like more goodness.

Skux

On a scale of Diablo III to Path of Exile, how complex are the game systems? Is it freeform like PoE's passive tree and skill gem systems or does it have more defined builds?

Volodja

Sorry, it's gonna be hard for me to answer that since I didn't feel that way with Titan's Quest so I can't really say if it's different or not. You'd probably get a good idea of the feel and combat in the first hour or so and could Steam refund if it's not what you're looking for.
Yeah, re-reading my post, I can see where the difficulty would lie. It was a bit...partial?
Let's see if it's better rephrased this way:
Do you start with a class and skills or do you need to go through a certain amount of time without any?
Is the flow of combat generally fast paced or a bit slower (considering that I found the flow of combat in TQ to be quite slow)?
Are skill trees rich in active skills or very passive heavy?

I'm gonna buy this game anyway at some point, just debating wether or not to give it a chance right away.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah, re-reading my post, I can see where the difficulty would lie.
Let's see if it's better rephrased this way:
Do you start with a class and skills or do you need to go through a certain amount of time without any?
Is the flow of combat generally fast paced or a bit slower (considering that I found the flow of combat in TQ to be quite slow)?
Are skill trees rich in active skills or very passive heavy?

You pick a class after your first level up which is like 10 minutes in I think.

It's generally faster than TQ, but not Diablo 3 speed. I'd probably compare it, as far as modern games go, to Path of Exile speeds.

There's a lot of active skills, lots of passives too. You can also set gems in items that provide extra skills that might not typically be something your class has access too, so a lack of active skills won't be a problem (though buffing them up to all be useful takes a while).

NIN90

I started like 3 different characters during the Early Access period and I always stopped after a few hours because building a character is so goddamn daunting.

Volodja

You pick a class after your first level up which is like 10 minutes in I think.

It's generally faster than TQ, but not Diablo 3 speed.

There's a lot of active skills, lots of passives too. You can also set gems in items that provide extra skills that might not typically be something your class has access to, so a lack of active skills won't be a problem (though buffing them up to all be useful takes a while)
Mh, this all sounds good.
Oh, to hell with it, I'll just buy it and see. I like the theme much more than I liked TQ's theme, so that helps a bit.
Thanks for the answers.

Corpekata

Banned
Mh, this all sounds good.
Oh, to hell with it, I'll just buy it and see. I like the theme much more than I liked TQ's theme, so that helps a bit.

Should clarify I play as a demolitionist, which makes things go boom a lot, so not sure if everything will feel as fast. Looking at some of the other classes, it might be slower in some, the magic oriented ones from a quick glance at least. Physical oriented classes, at least, are more satisfying than they were in TQ.

Splendid.

Now that the game has voice acting and achievements, I really need to get back to this game. I've spent 20 hours on the early access, and now I'm kinda torn whether I want to continue with my EA soldier or just restart from scratch.

Really enjoyed the time I spent with this during EA, keep meaning to get back to it. Was playing an Arcanist/Occultist, only really leaning on the latter for minions. I'm awful at optimizing, got no real head for it, but it was fun nevertheless :)

I loved TQ so it's hard for me to say, but uh, maybe pick it up sometime in a future sale and see how you like it? Or I guess since steam now offers refunds you could sample it for a few hours and decide if you want to keep it or refund.

On a scale of Diablo III to Path of Exile, how complex are the game systems? Is it freeform like PoE's passive tree and skill gem systems or does it have more defined builds?

Well you pick a class of six to invest points into a tree, and then you can choose another class at level 10. So once you pick you a class (or I guess masteries they call it) then you're sort of locked into it on that character. However unlike PoE you can remove points within a tree to reallocate in that tree (or your other class tree). There is also a devotion system which I will eventually expand upon in the OP, but it allows you to invest into 'stars' which unlock passive bonuses, including skills added to your attacks/skills. Here is an image of the devotion map:

latest

I haven't played Diablo 3 myself, and it's been well over a year since I touched PoE, so I can't give a completely fair or accurate comparison.

Volodja

Oh, the secondary stats pages are much richer than they were in TQ, that's very nice.
Also attacking seems faster too, I can attack move attack move quite swiftly compared to TQ.

The fact that it still uses consumables is a bit of a pity, but at least it seems to scale instead of using different types with different heal values.

The fact that it still uses consumables is a bit of a pity, but at least it seems to scale instead of using different types with different heal values.

Yeah there's only 1 health potion, and 1 mana potion, and it's percent based on your maximum. I believe it's something like 33% immediately restored, and another 50% restored over a few seconds, but I could be getting those percents wrong. There's a few other consumables but they act mostly as buffs.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I bought this game years ago, I can't believe it's actually out. I got my monies worth a long time ago and I can highly recommend it if you enjoy old school aRPGs like Diablo II.

New002

I've sunk over 160 hours in this game since picking it up in late December. It's incredibly addicting and build options are plentiful. I'm about halfway through my run on the hardest difficulty and once I finish I'm going to reroll for a third time.

My list of complaints are few:
-Not being able to reallocate mastery points is annoying
-There are only a couple of endgame dungeons. The game could benefit from aping something like Diablo 3s rifts.
-Its slightly annoying for ranged classes when the game let's you unload on walls instead of pathfinding your character to get an angle on a mob.

Minor quibbles in an overall fantastic experience, though. If you like dablio style games, you could do far worse.

After Diablo 3, and Diablo 2 to an extent, I've become really spoiled in regards to respecs. The ability to rebuild my character on the fly in D3 is phenomenal. I don't know if I can go back. I'm just not hardcore enough aymore :p

...Hate to say it. It's a spirtual succesor to Titan Quest. It's going to be similiar.

And I cant fathom how anyone thinks Titan Quest (especially with Immortal Throne) is bad. I spent hundreds of hours playing it, and I think it's far superior to anything.

After Diablo 3, and Diablo 2 to an extent, I've become really spoiled in regards to respecs. The ability to rebuild my character on the fly in D3 is phenomenal. I don't know if I can go back. I'm just not hardcore enough aymore :p

I'm right there with you. And if you're not against it, I'm sure there will be a trainer or cheat engine table to allow respecs.

styl3s

I know there is a class that can summon things but is there any build that can allow Diablo 2 necromancer levels of minions everywhere?

I know there is a class that can summon things but is there any build that can allow Diablo 2 necromancer levels of minions everywhere?

I have 4-6 permanent pets on my Occultist/Shaman build depending on if I want to wear certain items that summon more. Also I'll have anywhere from 0-6 temp pets that can be summoned on attacks or enemy deaths.

Should clarify I play as a demolitionist, which makes things go boom a lot, so not sure if everything will feel as fast. Looking at some of the other classes, it might be slower in some, the magic oriented ones from a quick glance at least. Physical oriented classes, at least, are more satisfying than they were in TQ.

Demolitionist was the class I was considering. I like making things go boom and i'm a sucker for tech-based classes. Going pets as Occultist also seems pretty cool though...

Corpekata

Banned
Played until level 6.

I still haven't chosen a class.

Please help. Lol

Should be an icon on the UI to click when you have levelling up to do, or try I want to say C or S to open up menu with the keyboard. Or look up the keybinds in the menu, haven't hopped back in yet so memory of the menus a little fuzzy.

bounchfx

Should be an icon on the UI to click when you have levelling up to do, or try I want to say C or S to open up menu with the keyboard. Or look up the keybinds in the menu, haven't hopped back in yet so memory of the menus a little fuzzy.

Oh, sorry. I know how to level. I just can't decide on a class :(

So I just keep playing and avoiding the decision haha

I don't think it has anything to do with being hardcore, just how much you think the moment to moment gameplay is per se interesting vs the meta. I played this up until level 24 or so recently and was excited at the devotion combinations and building a little dual wielding murderer with a raven familiar, but after a few hours I felt the actual moment to moment game was tedious, and I don't have the time/willingness to endure that just to experiment with the tree.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Using the unofficial trainer made the game 100% more fun for me, being able to reset my character to try new builds whenever I wanted kept me playing far longer than I would have without that option.

Grim dawn calculator.

You can see the classes, skills and devotion. Good for planning your character.

Anyone know if the game gets more colorful or vibrant? With a title like Grim dawn I don't expect it to, but it would be nice.
My favorite chapters in Titan Quest were Greece and China, fun places to explore. I hope I like this game but I'm a weird guy, only ARPG I liked was Titan Quest.

Using the unofficial trainer made the game 100% more fun for me, being able to reset my character to try new builds whenever I wanted kept me playing far longer than I would have without that option.

Link?

sear

Banned
Backed this game years ago and have been looking forward to it since. While I don't love Titan Quest that much, Grim Dawn ticked a lot of boxes for me back in its earlier builds and the final seems to be even better. Will be making this my "zone out" game for a while to come...

Ricker

So I clicked on enable gamepad but I dont have a Steam Controller yet,just the good old 360 controller...everything works except one important thing,no way to attack lol...am I missing something...?

So I clicked on enable gamepad but I dont have a Steam Controller yet,just the good old 360 controller...everything works except one important thing,no way to attack lol...am I missing something...?

I had to apply my attacks/skills to the buttons/triggers when I enabled my steam controller maybe the same for the 360 controller?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Grim dawn calculator.

You can see the classes, skills and devotion. Good for planning your character.

Anyone know if the game gets more colorful or vibrant? With a title like Grim dawn I don't expect it to, but it would be nice.
My favorite chapters in Titan Quest were Greece and China, fun places to explore. I hope I like this game but I'm a weird guy, only ARPG I liked was Titan Quest.

Link?

This is the one I used, you'll have to see if it's up to date and working for the latest version: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=580982&sid=430f2cf1bec021475b0ec42e140eb520

Oh man, 100 mins in and this game is so much better than Diablo 3, that turd of a game. These guys really get loot from what I can see so far.

That being said, what's good for Arcanist? I've just been dumping one point into most skills while trying to debate whether to save up for later skills. And now I have the difficult decision of whether to go melee/magic (probably not), range/magic, or full magic with my secondary class. Halp. =|

Hybrid897

Had this game since it came out on early access, its amazing how much its progressed especially in the last couple of months. The introduction of the devotion system and the later difficulties have actually brought this up to the same tier of ARPG as poe for me. Only thing missing is some sort of dungeon/end game system unlocked after beating ultimate e.g. Greater rifts in D3 and maps in poe. Can see myself sinking tons of time in between poe leagues with this!

Made a lightning totem shaman and its pretty great, feel I have to sacrifice too much to get my resists/defences up in ultimate though need some better gear with high resists and damage. I keep getting bleed/acid related legendaries so I've started a nightblade hopefully I'll find some lightning related stuff now lol.

Cracklox

This really tempted me a few months ago, but I held off. Now with full release, and having had my fill of D3 (till next patch at least) the temptation is very strong.

Is there a hardcore mode? Or at least plans for one?

Jimrpg

These are the guys who made Titan quest right? Loved that game. Will be joining you guys soon as they have another sale.

peakish

Crate Entertainment is awesome. ~Five years ago, it seemed like this day would never come.

From the most recent Kickstarter update:

<3 Crowdfunding <3
Lovely update. Haven't kept up with this game at all, but liked Titan Quest quite a bit even if I never finished it (it was just a tad bloated). Glad to see the team pulling through on this and hopefully get to keep making games.

Will pick up further down the line. And another hurrah for crowdfunding!

This really tempted me a few months ago, but I held off. Now with full release, and having had my fill of D3 (till next patch at least) the temptation is very strong.

Is there a hardcore mode? Or at least plans for one?

Hardcore mode is in.

Bought the game a few days ago and im having a blast. 31 Witch Hunter so far, no idea if my build is going to be viable in the later game but its so damn fun.

Oh man, 100 mins in and this game is so much better than Diablo 3, that turd of a game. These guys really get loot from what I can see so far.

That being said, what's good for Arcanist? I've just been dumping one point into most skills while trying to debate whether to save up for later skills. And now I have the difficult decision of whether to go melee/magic (probably not), range/magic, or full magic with my secondary class. Halp. =|

For arcanist you want to have points in maiven's sphere for protection.

Only 1 point in mirror of ercris because at 1 point you already get 100 damage absorption. That's what they call a 1 point wonder.

Inner focus maxed because of the ofensive abbillity.

That are the 3 i always take. The rest is up to you and your preferences. It's a good tree so take what you want to take and try different skills.

If you take panetti's missiles don't max it out right away. Because of the energy problems you will have.

Also as you play you will get gear with + skills so your preferences can all change while you play :)

Also i usally max out the classes first and then dump points in my skills but that is totally up to you.

If i forgot something for the arcanist somebody will correct me ;)

Has Crate said anything about respeccing Devotion? Respeccing skill points is nice, but Devotion can be so powerful when done right.

Im so paranoid about allocating points into it, since I dont want to fuck it up and bork my character.

Top Bottom