• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Finally have a thread to talk about how philly people can't drive in the rain and think using turn signals is code for being a Rangers fan

Jersey drivers are worse though.

Christ, it's a nightmare to walk around CC where I work at times.

psylah

Jersey drivers are worse though.

Christ, it's a nightmare to walk around CC where I work at times.

I'm at 16th and market and probably the craziest thing I've seen was a full Megabus driving the wrong way down market street.

It's one way there, but I still look both ways before crossing.

Oh wow, I missed the thread going live! Been so busy lately.

Lots of love for Shofuso Japanese House in this thread. I was just there two weeks ago. I've done both the tour and just walked around. It's really nice. That section of Fairmount park is a bit of a bizarro world in some ways. When we were driving through we saw an old timey baseball game being played, complete with period costumes.

What are your weekend plans? Tonight we're going to Osteria. Not sure what we're doing afterwards. Do you guys hit up the local food scene a lot? My wife and I are huge foodies.

Thank god for my long weekend. Also, that Japanese House, I'm so glad you mentioned it because I may have another place to take someone for next weekend :).

esms

I'm at 16th and market and probably the craziest thing I've seen was a full Megabus driving the wrong way down market street.

It's one way there, but I still look both ways before crossing.

My first time taking Uber, the dude went the wrong way down Walnut Street in University City. It was kinda funny and kinda scary.

What are your weekend plans? Tonight we're going to Osteria. Not sure what we're doing afterwards. Do you guys hit up the local food scene a lot? My wife and I are huge foodies.

About time you got here haha.

I'm a shut-in this weekend. Got like, 3 papers and 2 presentations. Trying to finish strong, so not a whole lot of shenanigans in store.

In other news...

Temple Physics Department chair accused of spying for China

Federal prosecutors allege Xiaoxing Xi, a world-renowned expert in the field of superconductivity, sought prestigious appointments in China in exchange for sharing information on a device invented by a private company in the United States.

JLynn

PhillyGAF is long overdue. Having moved to VA I miss my readily available Herr's chips and Tastykakes aside from Butterscotch Krimpets and Chocolate Juniors. Seriously, those are the only two Tastykake types I see in Richmond supermarkets.

My first time taking Uber, the dude went the wrong way down Walnut Street in University City. It was kinda funny and kinda scary.

I am probably in the minority, but I actually prefer taxis to Uber. Most of the time I wait less time for one to be available, and they cost like half the price, and know their way around the city better. If you get a Freedom taxi the cars are even really nice. I'm mildly annoyed that since Uber has taken off in town it seems much harder to get taxis.

JLynn

I remember visiting Texas and seeing beer being sold in Walmart throwing me for a loop.

I've lived in VA for over six months and still can't get over that. My fiancée, a Southern CA native, told me you can get hard liquor at convenience stores in SCA. Mind was blown.

esms

I am probably in the minority, but I actually prefer taxis to Uber. Most of the time I wait less time for one to be available, and they cost like half the price, and know their way around the city better. If you get a Freedom taxi the cars are even really nice. I'm mildly annoyed that since Uber has taken off in town it seems much harder to get taxis.

I'm with you on this. I only use Uber for getting to ridiculously out of the way areas and on nights out.

I'm with you on this. I only use Uber for getting to ridiculously out of the way areas and on nights out.

I sometimes do it when I have larger groups or if there are just no taxis in the area I am in. I used to be able to get a taxi in front of my house within 10 mins, but anymore, since uber took off, they are far less frequent. It's very annoying to me.

JLynn

Question. For those who are with significant others raised outside of the DE Valley, what were their first impressions of Philly? My fiancé literally begged me to take her to the playground where Will Smith spent most of his days. And frowned like a kindergartener when I told her that it was fictional and I never entered the Overbrook section of West Philly (I'm originally from North Philly).

I really wish they had a way better selection of legit, quality rums. I will say, I've definitely gotten to like more Sake and Soju over the past few years :).

They added quite a few this year actually. You need to check the website because some of the best items they offer in terms of rum are online only. For example, Flor De Cana 12/18 yearare online only, as is El Dorado 15/21 year.

Question. For those who are with significant others raised outside of the DE Valley, what were their first impressions of Philly? My fiancé literally begged me to take her to the playground where Will Smith spent most of his days. And frowned like a kindergartener when I told her that it was fictional and I never entered the Overbrook section of West Philly (I'm originally from North Philly).

Believe it or not, the playground they shot the scene in is Roberto Clemente playground in Spring Garden.

Great OP!

I live an hour or so away in NJ and until recently I never really went to Philly. Started dating a guy from the suburbs and fell in love with the city. Really loved spending my weekends there and the gayborhood was awesome. Need to get myself back there and enjoy it some more this summer. I really hope one day I can move there soon!

esms

I sometimes do it when I have larger groups or if there are just no taxis in the area I am in. I used to be able to get a taxi in front of my house within 10 mins, but anymore, since uber took off, they are far less frequent. It's very annoying to me.

Yeah, with 10 dudes on a night out, it's easier to just get an Uber XL and pack us all in. I haven't seen a drop in taxis like you describe, though.

My girlfriend (Connecticut suburbs) thinks it's a fun city and extremely walkable, which appeals to her a lot. Making a day of just walking around is her thing. She likes the parks here more than her hometown haha!

Another thing I really miss is Jax. Jax are a heavenly snack sent from the gods to be as good as possible

Man we went to the beach with friends last weekend and they brought a bag of jax and somehow we didn't open it. I have my regrets.

Yeah, with 10 dudes on a night out, it's easier to just get an Uber XL and pack us all in. I haven't seen a drop in taxis like you describe, though.

I live in Francisville near Broad. You used to be able to rely on taxis coming south from Temple to pick you up on their way in to CC. I've seen a big drop in taxis going up and down Broad in the last year.

My girlfriend (Connecticut suburbs) thinks it's a fun city and extremely walkable, which appeals to her a lot. Making a day of just walking around is her thing. She likes the parks here more than her hometown haha!

The Fairmount Park System is like the largest urban park system in the US or something like that. It's massive. Fairmount Park is 14 square miles. To put it in perspective, central park is like 1.5 square miles. As I recall Fairmount park is larger than the ten largest parks in NYC put together.

About time you got here haha.

I'm a shut-in this weekend. Got like, 3 papers and 2 presentations. Trying to finish strong, so not a whole lot of shenanigans in store.

In other news...

Temple Physics Department chair accused of spying for China

I got my BS in physics from Temple. Man that is a crazy story. Anyway, born and raised in Philly. I have lived all over the country but Philly is the best city by far. Even though I live in Vegas now I still have my Eagles season tickets.

esms

I live in Francisville near Broad. You used to be able to rely on taxis coming south from Temple to pick you up on their way in to CC. I've seen a big drop in taxis going up and down Broad in the last year.

Probably affected by Temple students taking Uber more. That sucks.

I'm bailing out of Philly tomorrow. Have fun until I come back ya cads!

The verdict is out on whether you're welcome back or not bro.

I got my BS in physics from Temple. Man that is a crazy story. Anyway, born and raised in Philly. I have lived all over the country but Philly is the best city by far. Even though I live in Vegas now I still have my Eagles season tickets.

It's crazy because of how long he's been with the university. He must have leaked a crazy amount of stuff.

chualie

Moved out to the suburbs after graduating from Temple a few years back.

I definitely miss living in the city.

Craving me some hand drawn noodles...

Francisville is my haunt! Get outta my neighborhood! ...oh wait I'm the one leaving, n/m :p

The verdict is out on whether you're welcome back or not bro.

Nan Zhou and Terakawa are both awesome for ramen. I love Vietnam Restaurant too for their rice vermicelli noodle bowls!

I'm bringing back candy!

chualie

Nan Zhou is fantastic. Lately though I've just been going to Terakawa and getting ramen there when I am in Chinatown.

Oh yes. Their brisket or oxtail is so good.

Terakawa was okay. Haven't tried it in a few years though. People have been telling me that it has gotten a lot better.

Oh yes. Their brisket or oxtail is so good.

Terakawa was okay. Haven't tried it in a few years though. People have been telling me that it has gotten a lot better.

They are just very different soups from each other. Terakawa has the richest most flavorful broth I've ever had. It's really great. Nan Zhou is much lighter. This time of year I wouldn't go to Terakawa, but in winter I prefer it. As far as I am concerned Terakawa is the best ramen in the city.

Speaking of, has anyone gone to Hai Street Kitchen? I haven't been there in a long time. They are amazing.

Burt

Terakawa is legit. Although, I always go with the gyudon. It's my hangover cure.

If you ever see a hungover white dude sitting by himself at the bar in Terakawa between 11am and 1pm on a Sunday devouring a bowl of gyudon, that's me.

Also, no Paesano's mention in this thread yet?

For shame!

Terakawa is legit. Although, I always go with the gyudon. It's my hangover cure.

If you ever see a hungover white dude sitting by himself at the bar in Terakawa between 11am and 1pm on a Sunday devouring a bowl of gyudon, that's me.

Also, no Paesano's mention in this thread yet?

For shame!

Gustaio for life. Oh my god it's so delicious.

I went to Hai Street Kitchen on the grand opening when they were giving away free burritos.

Two hours later...

it was ok

Top Bottom