• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

GhaleonEB

I don't think the actual number of maps matters so long as the quality is high.
To add a qualification: the quality of the maps needs to be high, yes, but they also need to suit the supported game types. That's were Reach really fell down (Invasion cannibalizing BTB). Well, it fell on quality as well...

I heard Halo 4 has a button you can press to see an overlay of the map/power weapons like Gears 3? Maybe it has countdown for the random weapon swaps/drops. I'm excited to see how that works.

I like this stream, but I probably like it more if I liked Reach more. Even then, I'm not a huge fan of competitive/MLG Halo. Maybe I'm just a scrub who misses the radar ;_; I'm not a big fan of this 3x bloom-less DMR, either. I wonder how they balance the DMR out in Halo 4 if its a starting weapon you can choose from. 2x-scope, hitscan H2 BR or 3x-scope bloom-less H4 DMR, seems a little unbalanced on paper.

I have not heard anything about Halo 4 having this, but it would be a great feature. Works really well in Gears.

I assume that the DMR will have a 2x scope. It will just be a single shot (so better) alternative to the burst fire BR. I assume they will be nearly identical in kill times.

MW3 had 16 (or whatever), but all of them were forgettable. One of the reasons why I played MW3 for two days and stopped.

Everything about MW3's MP is a train wreck.

I'd love to get 13-14 maps at launch instead of what seems to have become the standard, 10-ish.

Played Black Ops for a while and those maps had no personality whatsoever. Didn't buy MW3, but MW2 has some pretty awesome maps (ok, more good ones then bad ones).

Hmm, I really like Black Ops' set of maps.

Arnie

I could probably write a dissertation on why I love The Pit, but I'll refrain.

It's the way you can trap spawns. It's the balance between the two Sniper towers and how they're so integral to controlling your half of the map. It's the barely used lower side that's necessary to allow flanking opportunities and some room to breath. It's the Green Box. It's the deadly long hall that's perfect for bouncing grenades through. And of course those little ledges on either side of the central structure that are perfect for sitting on when you need to slow the pace of the game down.

ugh

Played Black Ops for a while and those maps had no personality whatsoever. Didn't buy MW3, but MW2 has some pretty awesome maps (ok, more good ones then bad ones).

Black Ops had some amazing maps, Jungle and Firing Range were both incredible, the vast majority of the other maps in that game where at least fun. There were only a couple of stinkers.

To add a qualification: the quality of the maps needs to be high, yes, but they also need to suit the supported game types. That's were Reach really fell down (Invasion cannibalizing BTB). Well, it fell on quality as well...

To be honest, imo Invasion was the only game-type that worked well, as designed in Reach.

CyReN

With Forge we can have unlimited great maps.

Sorry I couldn't help myself, but seriously I'd LOVE a good remake of Lockout. Do it like Heretic or Beaver Creek. I don't know how Bungie managed to screwed up such great map from Halo 2 to Halo 3. It felt weird, didn't work well.

Trey

It's quite easy to design a lot of maps for a game with literally only one playstyle where the most significant practical change from map to map is the amount of sightlines and camping spots available.

Contrast to Halo which has vehicles and armor abilities and weapon pickups and melee weapons and shit.

Oh, not to mention the drastic engine overhauls from game to game, and significant gameplay evolutions (good and bad) brought to each Halo installment. I honestly can't believe I was so fucked up from the GI reveal to call Halo 4 out for aping CoD just two days ago. I really hope 343 stays the course.

That is not what I said.

My fault, I probably should have said it's unrealistic to expect a lot of really good maps on launch given past results. Of course we all want a lot of really good maps, but if given the choice I'm taking quality over quantity. I assume you're the same, so really we agree.

TheOddOne

Black Ops had some amazing maps, Jungle and Firing Range were both incredible, the vast majority of the other maps in that game where at least fun. There were only a couple of stinkers.
Maby I didn't put much time into it, but remember not really being wowed by any of them.

Ryaaan14

Banned
With Forge we can have unlimited great maps.

Sorry I couldn't help myself, but seriously I'd LOVE a good remake of Lockout. Do it like Heretic or Beaver Creek. I don't know how Bungie managed to screwed up such great map from Halo 2 to Halo 3. It felt weird, didn't work well.

Amazing what poor aesthetics can do to such a close geometrical clone, eh?

Overdoziz

Banned

MW3 had 16 (or whatever), but all of them were forgettable. One of the reasons why I played MW3 for two days and stopped.
Well Reach had like 3 maps at launch and they are all forgettable.

senador

Banned
My fault, I probably should have said it's unrealistic to expect a lot of really good maps on launch given past results. Of course we all want a lot of really good maps, but if given the choice I'm taking quality over quantity. I assume you're the same, so really we agree.

Agreed for the most part. I'm hoping though that after seeing the response to Reach maps, hearing that they've made some maps with objectives and play styles in mind, how they are once again separate from campaign, and finally the removal of Firefight maps to worry about, that we'll actually get a nice load of focused and awesome maps.

heckfu

Banned
Me too for the most part. Gotta look up their names...hm...looking back, most of them were decent with a couple of good ones (while MW3's were almost all bad): Array, Summit, Firing Range, and WMD. I never purchased any of the map packs.

Summit, Firing Range, and Nuketown were my favorites. I understand the problems with Nuketown but it was just so fast paced it was excellent.

Me too for the most part. Gotta look up their names...hm...looking back, most of them were decent with a couple of good ones (while MW3's were almost all bad): Array, Summit, Firing Range, and WMD. I never purchased any of the map packs.

If I recall correctly, the first DLC was pretty blah, but the second and third were good, with the third being very good (Annihilation).

The only map I'd really care to see back is a non-Forge Sanctuary.

I would still do dirty things for a real Sanctuary remake.

Also, Turf or Terminal would be nice remakes.

Shame that Beaver Creek was wasted on Reach to be honest. And Headlong.

Trey

Agreed for the most part. I'm hoping though that after seeing the response to Reach maps, hearing that they've made some maps with objectives and play styles in mind, how they are once again separate from campaign, and finally the removal of Firefight maps to worry about, that we'll actually get a nice load of focused and awesome maps.

Firefight was basically an extension of the campaign from a gameplay perspective, so I don't think they were an issue. I'm sad to see the mode go because ODST Firefight was some of the best fun I've had in Halo and it showed a lot of promise.

I too want them to get away from using Campaign maps in multiplayer, but what's most important is if the game plays well. There have been legitimate points made about framerate and AAs effect on the flow of the map. Certainly, Reach had the weakest assortment of maps design-wise as well. I can only look at that as a good thing going forward because they serve as an example of what works and what doesn't. Personally, one thing I did like about Reach maps is that they didn't have an over abundance of lifts and teleporters aside from the vertical maps. We'll see how that carries over into 4.

It hurts.

It hurts boy
250px-Maester_Aemon.png

senador

Banned
I would still do dirty things for a real Sanctuary remake.

Also, Turf or Terminal would be nice remakes.

Shame that Beaver Creek was wasted on Reach to be honest. And Headlong.

Yeah, I'd really like to see Sanctuary as a shipping Halo 4 map. All other maps I'd rather have new and awesome I think.

Fun Fact: I named my mother in law's wireless network Sanctuary.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I'd really like to see Sanctuary as a shipping Halo 4 map. All other maps I'd rather have new and awesome I think.

Fun Fact: I named my mother in law's wireless network Sanctuary.

I'm a bit concerned that maps the size of Sanctuary will play very differently when everyone has sprint as default. Particularly for objectives. That's already the case with Reach, but if players have sprint and another ability along side it, I don't see it playing the same way.

Trey

I would say bring Gemini back but not really in the mood to be tarred & feathered, so Terminal is fine.

Fun map. Not very functional, competitively. I like to think the game needs maps like it to serve as a change of pace.

I'm a bit concerned that maps the size of Sanctuary will play very differently when everyone has sprint as default. Particularly for objectives. That's already the case with Reach, but if players have sprint and another ability along side it, I don't see it playing the same way.

It's the truth. Which is why Sanctuary probably won't make a return.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
7 Best Halo maps according to me, but not in order because I can't really figure that out:

The Pit
Blood Gulch (CE)
Valhalla
Lockout
Guardian (shut up, don't care)
Turf (some modes)
Zanzibar

Mayyhem

Why does sprint have to be default? :(

Wasn't sprint one of the things people disliked about reach? Along with AA's in general?

I guess I can put up with it but it just seems too crazy to have extra AA's along with everybody always having sprint on.

Another thing, I feel like having sprint sort of ruins strafing and good BR battles for me. Personally there was nothing more satisfying than a good BR fight between you and another person (in Halo 2/3). Hard to explain I guess but I hope making everyone have sprint on by default doesn't compromise the fluidity of BR/DMR/AR fights between people.

That being said, I still trust 343, as I'm sure they didn't just copy/paste these things directly from Reach, but more likely have found a way to somehow better them. Hopefully, anyways.

Retro

Was reading the Halo 4 thread over in gaming side, without noticing it wasn't this thread. Then I saw this gem...

What was wrong with evade?

... and nobody destroyed him or posted "oh wow / lol", which made me do a double take. Nothing against the poster, just that... you know... that kind of question doesn't need to be asked in here.

I'll be staying in community side now, thank you very much. /shudder

Old Maps in Halo 4 discussion

Ideally, we'd get new maps 'inspired by' old ones, but I'm not sure I trust 343 to get it right after the always-awesome Midship was turned into the facepalm-inducing Zealot. Here's my personal preferences (listing maps in order of first appearance, not necessarily their 'best' version);

CE: Wizard, maybe some variation of Boarding Action.
H2: Lockout, Midship, Zanzibar (def. not the Halo 3 version though), Headlong, Waterworks, Ivory Tower (without AAs it's not terrible), Sanctuary (non-Forge version), Turf... maybe Containment, I rarely played a match on it that wasn't lame), Terminal.
H3: Valhalla (fix the hill), Guardian, High Ground, The Pit, and something Narrows-esque.

Some of those I want a lot more than others, some I'm just lukewarm on (I could live without Guardian and Ivory Tower, for example). But that'd be a nice selection of maps.

The important thing though, is that they don't just copypasta in the same map architecture while adding new mechanics like AAs that completely screw up the flow and feel of the map. I can't imagine playing High Ground, for example, if punks can just jetpack over the wall. There was a real sense of locking down all the entry points on that map and AAs would ruin all of that.

7 Best Halo maps according to me, but not in order because I can't really figure that out:
Hey, we agree on all of those except Blood Gulch. I personally liked the H2 version with the basements, but honestly? At this point we've spent so much time in BG that the sightlines and layout are just too damn familiar. I can hop into BG and know where people are going to be and what they're going to do with pretty decent accuracy. That's why Valhalla made a Blood Gulch upgrade in H3 pointless; it had the same sort of flavor with a nice new feel.

Guardian had a nice variety of ranges, some interesting choke points. I think what really borked Guardian the most was the hammer sitting in that yellow lift room and just being a BK Meatgrinder. I still remember going like 0-30 in FFA on that map flowing from point to point with a shotgun, without people being able to lock me down.

OMG he listed seven of them, eeeeeee!

kylej

Banned

The Pit
Blood Gulch (CE)
Valhalla
Lockout
Guardian (shut up, don't care)
Turf (some modes)
Zanzibar

I look at this list, and I smile, for it is good. Then I look at this

23411ca70f28c93889abd3fd5d0658e0.png

and I shed the tears of a thousand men.

zlatko

Banned
Yo Halo GAF, am I correct in assuming there is no beta for H4? I swear I read that here somewhere.

Makes me sad we have to wait so long to get in on H4. :(

Sprint was inevitable.
Across the board, shooters have migrated toward "fast paced, visceral action" (343i marketing words, not mine).
But as long as the maps are designed to fit the new abilities, then I think it will be okay.
And what I said earlier, infinite armor ability energy has to go.

In other news...
I'm expecting some really interesting modifications to forge, given the new setting for multiplayer is a room that can change itself in any way.

Top Bottom