• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK - active arcades and live gaming

WHAT IT IS:

After seeing some discussion here about arcades in the UK, I figured it's worth pooling information on active arcades, live gaming venues and events around the country. Mainly as a reference point that's kept updated but also to facilitate meet-ups.

CONTRIBUTE:

If you notice a good cabinet somewhere or know of somewhere opening up, pop the info in the thread and I'll try and update the OP regularly. Same goes if you'd like to help make the OP prettier at all as it's kinda gross. Longer term, I'll try and update each entry with a brief description but very welcome to suggestions for format changes.

DISCORD

There is a Discord set up for general discussion on all arcade genres, eras, locations, hardware, etc. for GAF members set up by SmiteOfHand. You can find the invite here.

Last update: 27/06/2017

LONDON

-CENTRAL
Las Vegas Soho
Namco Funscape

-EAST
Four Quarters East
Scenario (Loading Bar Dalston)
Secret Weapon (Loading Bar Stratford)
Gamer Disco (event)

-NORTH
Meltdown
Violent City
Vega
Q2 Rhythm Game Meet-up (event)
Rowans

-SOUTH
Four Quarters Peckham
Heart of Gaming - now open in Croydon

-WEST
Ten Pin Acton - unknown if cabinets still there.

SOUTH COAST/SOUTH EAST

BRIGHTON
Fight Lab - Social gaming events e.g. Habrewken SFV comps at Brewdog

-PORTSMOUTH
Game Over

-SOUTHEND
Elite Gamer
Happidrome
Astro City

MIDLANDS

-NOTTINGHAM
National Videogame Arcade

NORTH WEST

-BURY
Arcade Club

-MANCHESTER
17 Below

SCOTLAND

-EDINBURGH
Konbo Arcade Café - now open!

-GLASGOW
Megabytes
Super Bario

Thanks for this, not surprised to see so many in London but will be glad for the list when I move down there soon. Hope HoG is able to successfully move into Croydon in particular!

Thanks for this, not surprised to see so many in London but will be glad for the list when I move down there soon. Hope HoG is able to successfully move into Croydon in particular!

All good :). It's not too bad in London and HoG getting a new home will make a big difference! Places that are just straight-up arcades are still pretty rare here (I'm in London) but it's still pretty good. Good luck with the move.

butzopower

proud of his butz
New pound coin hasn't worked on any pinball machines I've tried so far. Looks like it's time to save up old ones.

My friend owns the Four Quarters bars, they're really great hang out spots for anyone into gaming.

The Hackney Wick one is dead close to my house, keep meaning to go again. Had my birthday drinks at the Peckham one a few years back and apparently I wouldn't get off Crazy Taxi in the upstairs bit and kept shouting "bad boi". Oh dear.

Cool thread idea! There's a barcade type establishment in Glasgow called Super Bario. I haven't been yet but I hear good things.

Cheers - thanks for the heads up! Looks decent, good range of games and beer. Seems to have been crowdfunded which is cool.

15977302_1641646689474605_7404957743099133927_n.jpg

OP updated.

http://17below.com/ in Manchester have half a dozen arcade cabinets, although from memory they're running emulators on LCD screens

Megabytes http://mbcafe.co.uk/ Is also in Glasgow and they usually have a few arcade cabinets on the go along with all the retro consoles, just no beer.

Cheers for the heads up on these - I've added to the OP.

There is a Discord for general arcade discussion genres, eras, locations, hardware, etc - for GAF members up too, so feel free to get involved (invite here).

For those interested Heart of gaming is now open.

I popped in at lunch to see what it was like and I think they still have some entrance stuff to organise but the area is pretty cool.

They have a few break out areas for specific games, a massive TV for Mario kart 8 on Wii, a 10 player Sega saturn bomberman area, some guitar hero stuff and quite a few arcade machines and single consoles set up.

Gonna try and organise a couple of friends to go next Saturday to give it a go.

If anyone here is planning on going then too let me know and we can do a mini gaf meet up too :)

I've been to Arcade Club in Bury around 5 times in the last 8 or 9 months. They've recently opened a second floor too where they have more rhythm games and high-end PCs for Overwatch and VR and the like.

It's a tenner on the door (or 15 quid for both floors) and all machines are on free-play. I played DDR for about 3 hours last time I was there. Quality place.

Dachande

B-b-bump, because Konbo Arcade Cafe is now open in Edinburgh!

6 lovely looking cabs, good coffee and snacks in a nice, bright and welcoming environment, and an impressive list of rotating games. (List on their website.) I live too far away, but I'll definitely be making time to visit here if I find myself up that way.

Some pics:
Downstairs:
DAWQhuwWsAAj6cv.jpg

Upstairs:
DAq0DEHXkAQIM1R.jpg

C_ejxfVWAAAdv4q.jpg

Update bump!

Sorry been a bit slack and didn't see the replies! Updated with the info in the replies (thanks) and other info.

- Heart of Gaming (Croydon) now open.

- Konbo (Edinburgh) now open.

- Fight Lab Brighton added.

I've unfortunately been unable to get into the Discord as my laptop is getting repaired and the site's blocked at work, but soon.

Top Bottom