• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Shiggie

Bizzyb said:
Can someone please explain to me how Pokemon fans have tolerated playing the SAME game over and over for the last 15 years?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good formula, but it's the SAME formula. I could understand if it had at least made the jump to 3d but it hasn't (not really anyways). I mean you go around town, talk to some people, collect pokemon, "level them" and beat the gym leader. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I bought the original Red way back whe , and recently purchased Diamond, and it's a great game, but ONLY in moderation b/c its more or less the SAME damn experience. It hasn't even gone MMO yet! or on a console, Done proper.

How does Nintendo get away with this? And why do fans allow them??
There is no rush for any drastic change because there was nothing drastically wrong to begin with. There have been small improvements every generation but, It has been big enough to freshen the series up a bit.

My opinion for why I come back is the setting. The thing about pokemon has always been about exploration. New places, people, pokemon. That is what keeps me coming back.

Regulus Tera said:
It also helps that the core demographic hasn't changed, so there's always an influx of new fans.
Mostly this too.

Bizzyb said:
Can someone please explain to me how Pokemon fans have tolerated playing the SAME game over and over for the last 15 years?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good formula, but it's the SAME formula. I could understand if it had at least made the jump to 3d but it hasn't (not really anyways). I mean you go around town, talk to some people, collect pokemon, "level them" and beat the gym leader. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I bought the original Red way back whe , and recently purchased Diamond, and it's a great game, but ONLY in moderation b/c its more or less the SAME damn experience. It hasn't even gone MMO yet! or on a console, Done proper.

Like I said, Nintendo is hesitant to change because they don't know what jenga block will cause the tower to collapse. Admittedly, it gets annoying, because things like HMs and fighting the same Geodudes in the same early cave should be changed by now.

On the other hand, I still have fun with the core game. If you don't, I can understand that, but a lot of people don't mind how samey it is and mostly like to battle their friends.

Blueblur1 said:
I have a question though. What is the deal with having a Pikachu with Surf? Is Surf actually a decent move? Could Pikachu at one point learn that move? I'm confused by what you guys keep typing. @_@
Surf isn't the best water move, but it's the only water move that a Pikachu can legitimately learn (though it takes a number of hoops to jump through, such as getting it from Nintendo special events). It gives Raichu more move variety and makes it less of a sitting duck against ground types.

Lucario

ShockingAlberto said:
Surf isn't the best water move, but it's the only water move that a Pikachu can legitimately learn (though it takes a number of hoops to jump through, such as getting it from Nintendo special events). It gives Raichu more move variety and makes it less of a sitting duck against ground types.
Actually, it IS the best water move.

Teknoman

Bizzyb said:

Same as every sports game, Rhythm music game, fighting game, etc.

Shiggie said:
There is no rush for any drastic change because there was nothing drastically wrong to begin with. There have been small improvements every generation but, It has been big enough to freshen the series up a bit.

My opinion for why I come back is the setting. The thing about pokemon has always been about exploration. New places, people, pokemon. That is what keeps me coming back.

Yes.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I already felt like I was re-buying Pokemon Gold when I bought Diamond. Now I will really be! YAY!

Seriously, if you expect me to pay another 30$ for one of your poke-repeats,
Nintendo, you must be out of your fucking mind. And yet... they don't realize how insane this is because people (like almost everyone in this thread) just bend over, spread their ass cheeks and say:

"come on in, Gamefreak, the water's fine!"

Zilch

Banned
Kodiak said:
I already felt like I was re-buying Pokemon Gold when I bought Diamond. Now I will really be! YAY!

Nintendo, you must be out of your fucking mind. And yet... they don't realize how insane this is because people (like almost everyone in this thread) just bend over, spread their ass cheeks and say:

FEELS_GOOD_MAN.png

kman3000

Kodiak said:

OMG I have always wanted to do this

(neutral) Kodiak
Not an asshole.

I loved Gold and Silver. I did play Ruby and Sapphire but I thought Gold and Silver were better. I never touched Pearl/Diamond. What is up with that series? I would think it would be better than G/S? Anyone can break it down for me real quick?

Razer Reds

Neo Member
I think that a few people who haven't played a Pokemon game since G/S/C and maybe even R/S will be dissapointed by these. It seems like there's quite a few of those people who don't realise that the series has gone through quite a few significant changes over the past decade and that those who were turned off by the new things in R/S or even D/P will have to understand that most of these things will be in HG/SS. The ones that will definately be in are Pokemon abilities, tons of new items, the 100 TMs and HMs and the fact that a lot of the G/S/C ones have been replaced since R/S, the dozens of berries that were introduced in R/S replacing the original ones from G/S/C, the new moves that were introduced in R/S and D/P, and the fact that physical and special attacks are no longer determined by the move's type. Then you've got additions that might be in HG/SS like Poketch style apps for the Pokegear, contests, a new Johto dex that would include new evolutions and unevolved forms that have been added over the years, maybe even Pokemon outside of the Johto Dex that might appear in Kanto and maybe even Johto if you get the National Dex after beating the Elite 4. Heck, there's people who were dissapointed with FR/LG because of all the third gen additions that were put in. Is HG/SS going be great for fans of the 2nd gen who haven't played Pokemon since then? Of course, but there's a few things about Pokemon that they're going to have to learn if they don't want to be dissapointed.

Bizzyb said:

For competitive players, a new pokemon game basically means learning the whole thing over again. With all the new pokemon, moves, and old pokemon that can learn different moves, the entire metagame shifts.

ShockingAlberto said:

It's less important now that any electric type can go hidden power grass to deal with their ground weakness, though I suppose it's not as optimal a solution if you're playing the real deal instead of simulators.

P90

Bizzyb said:
Can someone please explain to me how videogame fans have tolerated playing the essentially the SAME games over and over for the last 30 years?

fixed with sarcasm

Teknoman

Amibguous Cad said:
For competitive players, a new pokemon game basically means learning the whole thing over again. With all the new pokemon, moves, and old pokemon that can learn different moves, the entire metagame shifts.

It's less important now that any electric type can go hidden power grass to deal with their ground weakness, though I suppose it's not as optimal a solution if you're playing the real deal instead of simulators.

What about grass knot for those heavy ground types?

gwiz210

I'm just thinking about how we'll probably get areas to explore outside of Johto and Kanto. Maybe revisting the Sevii Islands from FR/LG? :D

Captain N

PataHikari said:
A Pokemon MMO would kill the series and is the most retarded idea ever.

Pokemon is a handheld series so it's never going to go on console either.

I don't think an MMO would kill the series at all. I would love to see the Console version and Handheld where you can swap game saves. Almost like the FF CC.

Ravidrath

Bizzyb said:

While clearly most, if not all, of the people in this thread have been playing "the same game over and over" for the last 15 years, a vast majority of the people playing Pokemon today probably weren't alive or were too young to play Gold/Silver when they first came out.

For all intents and purposes, this is a new game to them that allows them to get Pokemon the may not have been able to get otherwise.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:

ShockingAlberto said:
Is it?

Huh, 95 power and 100 accuracy. I could have sworn it was much weaker than that.

Yup. ^_^ Raichu + Surf = Win <3

You can get a surfing Pikachu by beating Pokemon Battle Revolution for Wii. I still have not. v.v

thetechkid

Ravidrath said:
While clearly most, if not all, of the people in this thread have been playing "the same game over and over" for the last 15 years, a vast majority of the people playing Pokemon today probably weren't alive or were too young to play Gold/Silver when they first came out.

For all intents and purposes, this is a new game to them that allows them to get Pokemon the may not have been able to get otherwise.

Thanks now I feel old.

If every Pokemon game is made as if it's the first, then I'll be happy. That core formula is what keeps me coming back. Perhaps I'd still like the battles to be faster, though.

ivysaur12

Banned
Android18a said:
If every Pokemon game is made as if it's the first, then I'll be happy. That core formula is what keeps me coming back. Perhaps I'd still like the battles to be faster, though.

Your avatar is in tune to the song I'm listening to. Holy fuck that's creepy.

But this is great news. I wonder if just your start Pokémon will follow you around when they're in your party, or if maybe it'll be the first Pokémon in your party no matter what the species?

RagnarokX

ivysaur12 said:
Your avatar is in tune to the song I'm listening to. Holy fuck that's creepy.

But this is great news. I wonder if just your start Pokémon will follow you around when they're in your party, or if maybe it'll be the first Pokémon in your party no matter what the species?
There might be some complications having wailord follow you :p

jman2050

RagnarokX said:
There might be some complications having wailord follow you :p

This is the same series that convinced us that battling trainers in the middle of the ocean with gigantic rocks and dinosaurs made out of fire was perfectly normal, so I'm confident Willing Suspension of Disbelief will take care of those complications :p

Eteric Rice

There are some things they could do to make the games way better. A device that lets me have a record of my Pokemon's forgotten moves so I can teach them again if I have to (say I accidentally pass up a move exclusive to a certain Pokemon, I'd be able to recover it and switch them out).

Complete removal of HMs would be awesome. I hate that shit, taking up a spot just for my HM bitch.

Rather than a hide out or whatever the fuck they call it, it'd be nice if I could buy a house in a town, and furnish it with stuff.

Firestorm

Eteric Rice said:
There are some things they could do to make the games way better. A device that lets me have a record of my Pokemon's forgotten moves so I can teach them again if I have to (say I accidentally pass up a move exclusive to a certain Pokemon, I'd be able to recover it and switch them out).

Complete removal of HMs would be awesome. I hate that shit, taking up a spot just for my HM bitch.

Rather than a hide out or whatever the fuck they call it, it'd be nice if I could buy a house in a town, and furnish it with stuff.
For #1 you can do that with Heart Scales in Diamond/Pearl. Although it doesn't work for TMs and egg moves =( If it included egg moves it'd be pretty much perfect.

Eteric Rice said:
You come into the possession of a villa in Platinum that you can buy furniture for, and on occasion random trainers come and visit you.

truendo

I have a feeling that when the remakes launch, a tournament will too. :D Time to make a new team with solely Johto Pokemon! :D

Lkr

Aaron Strife said:
So I have to wonder with the new Egg feature what HOT SKITTY ON WAILORD ACTION would result in.
:lol :lol :lol

Do any import sites have pre-orders up yet? I haven't seen it on play-asia yet :(

Jiggy

Bizzyb said:

I don't know about any other Pokemon fans, but I buy games with the same title because I want the same gameplay--not just for Pokemon, but for Mega Man, Castlevania, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Tales, Dragon Quest, and most any series I like. All I really want are new skills and maps to play around with for turn-based games, and new skills and levels to play around with for real-time games. That's more than enough "difference" to me.

That said, with Pokemon I'm definitely in for multiplayer while the main single-player quest is just kind of there to me; on its own it would be something like a C or C+ RPG to me, not so much because it's simple (I don't mind simple) but because it's way too easy. Still, since I buy every version I manage to play through each region at least three times (except Johto, which I only played through twice) and don't really mind, since the journey is great for helping me become at least a little familiar with the new Pokemon and their types and abilities, and works as a collectathon for all the TMs and items I could want for multiplayer. And the Battle Factory in Emerald and Platinum is something I can legitimately pour hundreds of hours into on its own, though so far it's only in those two games.

Lucario

Amibguous Cad said:

Agreed. Pokemon's competitive play changes a ton from game to game, but it's always accessible to anyone with basic knowledge of strategy. I love it.

.... and your avatar is awesome

Jiggy

Eteric Rice said:
it'd be nice if I could buy a house in a town, and furnish it with stuff.
You can do that in Platinum.
Though for some reason they give you a much more limited set of furniture to buy than the stuff in Hoenn hideouts or Sinnoh caves.

Jiggy said:
I don't know about any other Pokemon fans, but I buy games with the same title because I want the same gameplay--not just for Pokemon, but for Mega Man, Castlevania, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Tales, Dragon Quest, and most any series I like. All I really want are new skills and maps to play around with for turn-based games, and new skills and levels to play around with for real-time games. That's more than enough "difference" to me.

That said, with Pokemon I'm definitely in for multiplayer while the main single-player quest is just kind of there to me; on its own it would be something like a C or C+ RPG to me, not so much because it's simple (I don't mind simple) but because it's way too easy. Still, since I buy every version I manage to play through each region at least three times (except Johto, which I only played through twice) and don't really mind, since the journey is great for helping me become at least a little familiar with the new Pokemon and their types and abilities, and works as a collectathon for all the TMs and items I could want for multiplayer. And the Battle Factory in Emerald and Platinum is something I can legitimately pour hundreds of hours into on its own, though so far it's only in those two games.

I do wish that they could have a "competitive mode" where there's less linearity and story, and it's easier to go anywhere in the world and build a team from the get-go.

Amibguous Cad said:
Yeah, thats pretty much why I don't get this "YOUR PLAYING THE SAME GAME OVER AND OVER! IT NEEDS CHANGE!" from people. I mean, didn't they just make some huge change in the pokemon stats thing with DPP?

Pokemon is about collecting, fighting, trading and exploring which is why we get tons of new additions to that basic formula/ system with each game. The "change" people just seem to want the series to grow with their taste IMO.

Ok, it seems like things at Serebii have started to cool down now that he is talking about it (approves of it but doesn't think it's true or at the very least thinks it should be explored in the 5th gen games) and people have been throwing down the "DPP takes up less than 50% of the DS card!" line.

Top Bottom