• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is an artist that other people like who you think is overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kanye West. I can understand it in his earlier years but these days his music is nothing special but people still rave about him and worst of all think that it makes up for him being a complete fucking ass hole.

It's the worship of this guy that lead to Trump being so popular, people for some reason admire unapologetic dicks.

Nepenthe

Chainsmokers.

Goddamn Chainsmokers.

Granted, none of the people in my circle are huge die-hard fans of them. Hell, I will tolerate Closer every now and again.

But man, is their production is mediocre. The melodies and drops are milquetoast, skirting the line of being danceable but without enough interesting or creative syncopation to finally just cross over. And ever since Closer, I feel like they're going to milk the "romantic duet of two privileged millennials acting deeper than they really are" thing that defined that song for awhile, particularly with that fuck-shit song Paris and the other one whose drop sounded badly ripped off from Flume being the follow up acts.

Basically, they're the Black Eyed Peas of EDM.

Aurongel

Bon Iver.

His latest album is honestly the most pretentious piece of musical work I've ever experienced. The utter tryhard philosophical nonsense of the album art, track titles and lyrics are embarrassing.

Parch

Young people hating on older music. No surprise.
Question should be limited to music from your own generation.

Zukkoyaki

Imagine Dragons

Their singer has a great voice and that's about the only nice thing I have to say about them. Their music is among the most boring, uninspired and cliche material I've ever heard. They literally sound like a band that has bought into their own hype.

MazeHaze

Banned
Imagine Dragons

Their singer has a great voice and that's about the only nice thing I have to say about them. Their music is among the most boring, uninspired and cliche material I've ever heard. They literally sound like a band that has bought into their own hype.
I was once saw someone describe Imagine Dragons as a a group of people trying to take the good parts of the past decade of indie music and distill that into something that would sound great in a car commercial. Accurate.

The Beatles are one of those cases where I feel the legend surrounding the band can create a barrier for new listeners discovering them.

It's been drilled into peoples head that The Beatles were indisputably the most historically important band ever, period, that it makes it difficult for people to authentically discover their music itself. Every single event in the band's life has been mythologized to such a degree that the members almost seem more like historical figures than relatively contemporary musicians.

I know personally I struggled to appreciate the Beatles for years because that that overwhelming aura that's been written about the band over the past five decades. Sometimes it's hard to see and appreciate them as "just a band".

Nirvana as a band is both over exposed and overrated while simultaneously being under appreciated.

To a degree I think the above phenomenon is occurring for Kurt Cobain.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There was someone that I knew that LOVED 21 Pilots, and then they got popular and she hated them. I asked if that was why, and she said confirmed it.

It's not BECAUSE they are popular, its because I don't really care for popular music styles these days.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Do the Beatles count?

I mean I know they're an icon and all but honestly I just don't find their music all that appealing.

Same here. Stones are good tho. Other than that I never got Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Kanye West, Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar, Pantera, Slayer and Pearl Jam.

I got a hot take ready.

I don't believe the Stones belong in the same category as Dylan and the Beatles. Those two have done more to change music than the Stones.

Fight me motherfuckers.

Don't want to say Kanye because his debut album is an all time great record, so Drake. So so so much Drake. I'd rather listen to Vanilla Ice than Drake.

old

Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel - Way too hyped. They're ok but are treated like sacred cows.

Kendrick Lamar - The sound of his voice is amazing. But the actual music leaves a lot to be desired.

Nirvana really never felt all that special to me. They're the most blatant case of a legacy being formed around the tragedy of art - and not the art itself. They made one solid album, and we're solidified as gods because of Cobain's suicide. That permanently framed the conversation around them as a result, and made them impossible to properly analyze with time.

To be honest, I find Ed Sheeran highly overrated. Whenever I hear his songs, I always picture David Brent when he is playing the guitar on The Office.

Seems like a nice guy, especially to his fans. Can't fault him for that.

When Coldplay blew up and was even getting a decent amount of critical acclaim I was like

tumblr_n61pvrcKmx1rvnnvyo2_250.gif

Dishwalla

Banned
Radiohead
Rush
Queen

All dreadful. Sorry internet. I can recognize the musical talent in these bands, shame it's being wasted making boring music.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I will fight you. The Rolling Stones are my #1 rock and roll group of all time

He's right. Although I personally think of Dylan as awful granddad pop sung by someone who clearly can't sing and the Beatles as boring pop for unwashed hippies, there's no denying both have been more influential than the Stones.

Nirvana really never felt all that special to me. They're the most blatant case of a legacy being formed around the tragedy of art - and not the art itself. They made one solid album, and we're solidified as gods because of Cobain's suicide. That permanently framed the conversation around them as a result, and made them impossible to properly analyze with time.

That's exactly what happened.

Dishwalla

Banned
RHCP are another good one. Interesting band musically, but holy shit they have the worst lyrics in rock. Never know what the hell Anthony Kiedis is singing about.

Also in regards to RHCP, One Hot Minute is their best album, and albums like Mother's Milk are un-listenable.

Dishwalla

Banned
I got a hot take ready.

I don't believe the Stones belong in the same category as Dylan and the Beatles. Those two have done more to change music than the Stones.

Fight me motherfuckers.

Also this isn't a hot take. Love the Stones but this post is true, Dylan and Beatles did do way more to change and influence music.

I love Bob Dylan, but could you imagine how mythologized he would have been if he died in that motorcycle accident?

An early death always helps build you up. I love Nirvana, Nick Drake, Brian Jones and Elliot Smith, but I realize that their deaths helped build their image a lot.

Do people actually like The Eagles or rather mindlessly nod along to their songs on the radio? Cause they suck hard. Not particularly good musicians, trite songwriting, don't provide much groove or rock hard. OK-ish vocals. They're like the Olive Garden of rock bands.

Do people actually like The Eagles or rather mindlessly nod along to their songs on the radio? Cause they suck hard. Not particularly good musicians, trite songwriting, don't provide much groove or rock hard. OK-ish vocals. They're like the Olive Garden of rock bands.
Critically? Nah they've always been viewed as bleh.

At least nowadays they are.

I don't really get the appeal of Chance the Rapper. He sounds like he belongs shoved in a locker somewhere. Same with Childish Gambino for the most part.

Mozart work for the Piano.

I have a feeling that you're being sarcastic, but there is an argument to be made here. Mozart's piano work is more the perfection of the diatonic Classical form, rather than anything fresh or new for the time. I mean, I appreciate the incredible craft of something like his Sonata in B Flat, but it seems very tame against, say, Beethoven's Waldstein or Apassionata Sonatas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom