• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchMojo - Top 10 Classic Western RPGs

Since when is Dark Souls a WRPG :p
Great skills there WatchMojo :p
If you'd watched the video they state that even though it's made in Japan it plays more lik a WRPG than a JRPG. They excluded all Western made RPGs that played more like JRPGs as well making note of South Park Stick of Truth and Undertale.

kagamin

If you'd watched the video they state that even though it's made in Japan it plays more lik a WRPG than a JRPG. They excluded all Western made RPGs that played more like JRPGs as well making note of South Park Stick of Truth and Undertale.

By that logic we should be seeing some of the awesome Wizardry-likes up there, like The Dark Spire.

By that logic we should be seeing some of the awesome Wizardry-likes up there, like The Dark Spire.
But that would require a mainstream outlet to pay attention to non Nintendo made handheld games and that's never going to happen :p
That said I reckon you could almost make a solid argument that one of the Etrian Odyssey games should be on there.

Corpekata

Banned

The Dark Spire doesn't even seem to break top 10 lists of its' own genre very often, it probably wouldn't be breaking the top lists of an entire decade.

kagamin

But that would require a mainstream outlet to pay attention to non Nintendo made handheld games and that's never going to happen :p
That said I reckon you could almost make a solid argument that one of the Etrian Odyssey games should be on there.

I was kinda avoiding Etrian Odyssey because people would be honestly more focused on the artstyle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the gameplay is very good regardless of people's feelings. :p

Freeman

Banned
The list has Diablo but doesn't have Baldur's Gate, ok...

I know BGII couldn't be included, but I'm replaying it right now and its unsettling how much better it is than what we usually get.

Jay Sosa

I suppose. Planescape builds a fascinating world with memorable characters and engaging prose, but as a game...its eh. Infinity Engine gave us better ones.

If we're talking about pure gameplay a lot of them are absolutely terrible.

That said Planescape isn't as bad as say Baldurs Gate 1.

Still bullshit. Dark Souls has more in common with Monster Hunter and King's Field than any WRPG that came out in the ten years before it.

Also, Fallout 3?! lol, it's not even the best modern Fallout, let alone best WRPG of the 2000s or all fucking time. Madness.

jimboton

The fact that Dungeon Master 2 is there at all tells me that there's someone in WatchMojo with actual knowledge of classic rpgs (and good taste!). Unofortunately, he/she seems to be heavily outnumbered :p

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
No Wizardry, Might&Magic or Baldur's Gate in a Top-10 List of Western RPGs?

1qkEJak.gif

Top Bottom